The Cult of Oprah

bibleIt's 9:17pm, do you know where your wife is? Check the computer. If your wife is anything like my wife, she's attending the church of Oprah.

That's right, Taryn has registered on Oprah.com for a 10-week Web seminar with Winfrey and Eckhart Tolle, author of A New Earth, a spiritual self-help guide that's the latest pick of Oprah's Book Club. The first webcast began at 9pm.

I've got to give Oprah some credit, she knows how to press the right buttons. My mom was over on the weekend and she and Taryn had a looooong discussion about this Eckhart Tolle book. As they discussed A New Earth, it sounded more like a religion than a self-help guide. I've been living with an Oprah fan for 12 years now, and it's always been rather culty, but this is the tipping point.

I'm sure it's more harmless Oprah bubble gum, I just hope these 700,000 fanatics don't break the Internet.

james edgar

Too later Internet is broken. My wife was in tears when the webcast stalled 20 minutes in. She's planning to download it tonight. She won't shut up sbout Eckhart Tolle and how great he is.We now have a PVR I get to watch Oprah almost everynight now.
Yeah :(

March 4, 2008 @ 9:06 AM

Toronto Mike

Yes, shortly after I wrote this entry I heard Taryn in the kitchen. I asked her if she was booted out of the cult and she told me about the web jam. She was disappointed, but she'll be watching the damn thing on YouTube.

With this Eckhart Tolle having such an influence on our wives, we might want to brush up on what he's pitching...

March 4, 2008 @ 9:23 AM

james edgar

I did think about reading the book. But then I shook my head and went out to my garage to start rebuilding my motorcycles carbs. That's a LOT more spiritual for me than some some celbrity pushing "enlightenment" in 3 easy no pain steps.

March 4, 2008 @ 9:39 AM

james edgar

P.S. if my wife is reading the above post. It's a different James not me at all.

March 4, 2008 @ 9:40 AM

Argie

Oprah’s following really is a cult. Not in the sinister, life altering, scary sense of a true cult but it is very influential. There are so many better role models out there that women don’t have to rely on a woman who has so many faults of her own. It’s surprising really.

March 4, 2008 @ 9:42 AM

Toronto Mike

I overheard a bit of the discussion between my wife and my mom and it was about "stuff" and the accumulation of "stuff" and not letting your "stuff" define you.

I think the guy version of A New Earth is Fight Club.

March 4, 2008 @ 10:26 AM

Andrew

It is always funny to hear billionaires talk about how they don't need stuff and money isn't important. I would like to see them still say that when they don't have the money and they struggle to pay their bills every month.

In essence Argie is right. There are a lot better people to follow but none of these "better" people have TV shows. The truly great role models don't want fame or fortune. They are everyday people.

But I disagree with Argie's final comment about it being surprising. It's not. People all over the place latch onto an ideal or a person and follow it blindly even if the facts contradict the image. Many Americans think Bush is the greatest President in history despite the evidence to the contrary. Some Canadians latch onto the "Evil Harper" ideal even though he has yet to do anything evil or even remotely bad. People think that gay-marriage will be the downfall of society and yet there is nothing to say it will. It happens all the time.

March 4, 2008 @ 11:37 AM

Argie

Andrew: You were doing so well until you launched into an anti-Bush/Harper, gay marriage is wonderful tirade.

Bush isn’t the greatest president ever (that title belongs to Harry Truman). Harper is doing a good – not great – job as PM. Gay marriage is an anachronism - there’s no such thing. Marriage is one man & one woman. Anything else is simply a union.

March 4, 2008 @ 1:05 PM

Andrew

Again Argie you haven't read what I wrote. I was not anti-Harper. I didn't say a bad word about him.

I am anti-Bush, as I said there is a lot of evidence to say he is not a great president like a lot of die-hard followers keep saying. It is the point of my tirade. Has Bush done some good things? Yes. Overall he is terrible and the facts prove it.

March 4, 2008 @ 1:54 PM

Argie

Andrew: You’re right about Harper. I stand corrected.

As an aside, I wonder if Oprah likes bush… hmmmm.

March 4, 2008 @ 2:35 PM

Howard

OPRAH ... from spending several years in Jeremiah Wright's anti-American racist church, listening to sermons like "God Damn America", and giving life time achievement awards to the likes of Louis Farrakhan ... to her newest opportunistic religious beliefs ... who could possibly take Oprah seriously? This woman's ego is soooo big, being a billionaire celebrity isn't enough, she has to start her own religion ... not to mention all the additional money she is going to make selling all those book, tapes, CD's, etc. to her poor followers. Oprah's new power hungry ambitions include efforts to replace traditional America with Obama ... and access to a President she puts into office ... to her efforts at replacing Christianity with a new religion she controls. I think it's time for America to deny Oprah access to our television sets.

September 6, 2008 @ 5:50 PM

dayofwrath

The message of the cross is nonsense to those who are being destroyed,but it is God power to us who are being saved.The power of now is not in or from Eckhart Tolle,but from God.The power is the cross and now is the word that the church emphasizes on it:The Holy past is present "now" with power".Let Oprah and Eckhart if they dare,to speak on TV about the real "power of now" of the cross the true miracle of the blood in the book the coin of the temple by souheil bayoud.There you will find who is the false guru christ and the real Jesus Christ the Lord and Savior.
dayofwrath

September 6, 2009 @ 12:26 AM

Jani Cashdollar

Oprah is amazing. Such a beautiful soul. She does a lot of good for the world with her talk show and she has helped a ton of people with problems. She had a hard life but made something of herself, admirable!

January 29, 2010 @ 12:19 AM

Robert Sinnamon

Eckhart Tolle review
Eckhart Tolle’s book is an attempt to awaken you to your life’s purpose but there are no meaningful instructions to take you there. Eckhart is focused on a symptom of the problem that he believes is the problem, “the ego” and I would suggest that this manifestation of the problem is certainly a red flag. However there was never a doctor who could cure patience’s problem by treating their symptoms. Like many doctors, Tolle misdiagnoses the patience and falls victim to the very thing that he makes confident assertions about. Eckhart suggests a treatment to close the hole of self only to discover there are always more openings.
“I think therefore I am” - thought is a product of the mind and without the mind there would be no perception of self or the body you possess. It was God who said “Come now, and let us reason together” (Isaiah 1:18) because He engineered your body and wants you to operate in the mechanics of His design so He can receive the glory. If we do not obey before we know (faith) it will be the mind that is responsible in producing the misperception of who you are, this illusory sense of identity. This illusory sense of self or the arrogance that could be called the ego that Albert Einstein referred to as “an optical illusion of consciousness”. And Tolle’s statement “That illusory self then becomes the basis for all further interpretations, or rather misinterpretations of reality, all thought processes, interactions, and relationships, your reality becomes a reflection of the original illusion,” is certainly true. Tolle may not have the answer but I believe he has a good understanding of the problem. Tolle also quotes Jesus in an attempt to give validity to his theology along with many others, but it was only Jesus who said in John 14:6 “I am the way and the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me.”
Eckhart’s solution to dissolve this illusion all come down to the word “‘if’ you can recognize illusion as illusion, it dissolves. The recognition of illusion is also its ending.” Nobody would disagree with his deduction. But a simple illustration of a man walking through a desert without water can test his deduction. It is not until he receives a drink of water can he believe that what he sees is nothing more than an optical illusion stemming from he imbalance state of body and mind.
If the mind or the brain is still in the same physical state that produced this illusion of self then it has no ability to see itself relative to truth. The fact that the mind in its unbalanced physical state has produced an ego is irrelevant and to try to recognize the countless illusions the mind is capable of generating is in itself absurd.
Unbelief comes from a polluted mind or a body that lacks the energy to maintain a balanced state. A mind cannot change its state without acting on the knowledge of the truth but the mind will not recognize truth as knowledge because it has been chemically programmed to reconfigure truth.
Purification comes with a cost of suffering, by the effects of a chemical withdrawal, in order to break our self-conceived ideas on how we see reality. A mind that has not been re-wired has no ability to be enlightened by divine teaching, because it is already programmed to arrange any new knowledge within it own pre-established formula, as to preserve its addictions, and therefore cannot discern the between the holy and the profane. Romans16:18 For such men are slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of their own appetites; and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting. Tolle and many other men come across so convincing because they have no idea they are completely controlled by their addictions to their own appetites. Our so called wise and learned men come across completely sincere because they have no idea their judgment have been impaired. Their rational seems logical and is received with applause because they are appealing to an audience who baths in the same pool of impediments. 2 Cor10:12 For we are not bold to class or compare ourselves with some of those who commend themselves; but when they measure themselves by themselves, and compare themselves with themselves, they are without understanding. Pro16:25 There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.

Joh8:34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. Only a relatively short period of time is needed in practicing sin, (or letting the flesh choose) before the brain sets up receivers to accommodate this new chemical addiction that reinforces the appetite. Like a drug addict on the street you are trapped and enslaved to serve your habit.
It is easy to sit back and tell someone that they do not have and answer to the problem and never using our own logic or deduction of reasoning to find the answer. Jesus tells us that we need to follow Him through regeneration, Mat19:28 Truly I tell you, that you who have followed Me, in the regeneration … We were once there as little children. One of the parts which will be renewed is the mind, Rom12:2 “… but transformed but the renewing of your mind … All regeneration and renewing is centered around “things” in you that are not of your DNA but make up almost 50% of your dry body weight. They turn out to be little separate creatures that are the engine that drives every one of your cells, including your brain cells. Without them, we would not move a muscle, drum a finger, think a thought. 1 Cor1:27 But God chose the foolish things of this world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things and the things that are not - to nullify the things that are so that one may boast before him. The problem is these creatures replicate, privately, in their own fashion and if you do not provide the environment they need to regenerate you will never have a mind or thought process “that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect” (Rom12:2).
For in-depth comprehensible study on the environment needed and how the Spirit logically lead me to this place of surrender please go to www.freedomcatchthespirit.com

October 3, 2010 @ 10:54 AM