My Ten Favourite Canadian Albums

cdEarlier today, I wrote about my inherent disadvantage when compiling a list of this nature. Below are my ten favourite Canadian albums of all-time, but you won't find Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Rush or The Guess Who. You also won't find The Band, Leonard Cohen or Gordon Lightfoot. I kept this list to actual albums I enjoyed and banned all greatest hits collections.

I'm listing these here in no particular order. You may commence judging my ten favourite Canadian albums..... now. If you're interested, I also recently listed the top 100 Canadian songs of all-time, and that list has lots of Neil, Joni, Leonard and Gordon.

Fully CompletelyThe Tragically Hip - Fully Completely

Favourite Tracks:
"At the Hundredth Meridian"
"Wheat Kings"
"Courage (for Hugh MacLennan)"

SmearedSloan - Smeared

Favourite Tracks:
"Bad As They Seem"
"In September"
"Tragedy"

Shakespeare My ButtThe Lowest of the Low - Shakespeare My Butt

Favourite Tracks:
"Henry Needs a New Pair of Shoes"
"Eternal Fatalist"
"Bleed a Little While Tonight"

Symphony in EffectMaestro Fresh-Wes - Symphony in Effect

Favourite Tracks:
"Let Your Backbone Slide"
"Drop the Needle"

"New Orleans Is Sinking"
"38 Years Old"

FuneralArcade Fire - Funeral

Favourite Tracks:
"Wake Up"
"Rebellion (Lies)"
"Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)"

anonymous

These wouldn't have made my top 100. ALL crap.

October 19, 2007 @ 9:08 PM

Toronto Mike

I find it interested that these kinds of comments always come from "anonymous".

Reveal yourself, and then Google the definition of "subjective".

October 19, 2007 @ 9:11 PM

Jill

1. Neil Young...."Prairie Wind"
Although it is a more recent recording it is melodic and has a mellow sound to chill out and listen to in the wee hours. One step further....listen to it on vinyl.
2. Burton Cummings....."Burton Cummings"
It is his first solo album after departing from the Guess Who and it is a great fun listening experience and includes the awesome songs Stand Tall and I'm Scared.
3. Joni Mitchell........"Court and Spark" This is a more pop and commercial album but every song is catchy.
4. Neil Young....."After The Goldrush".....obvious reasons.
5. Rough Trade....."Live(umbrella)".....an awsome vinyl experience. It is one of the first direct to disc recordings therefore the engineers avoided tape completely and pressed directly to vinyl. If you close your eyes and listen you would swear Carol Pope was in front of you.
6. The Guess Who...."American Woman"....a great late 60's album proving that these boys from small town Canada can make it in the States and for that time it was pretty impressive.
7. Bryan Adams....."Reckless"
Includes great tracks like summer of 69 and run to you and somebody.
8. Klaatu......."Klaatu" self entitled album that when it first came out people thought it was the Beatles lost recordings. It is a smooth tight melodic sound that not only supports catchy tunes but has that Wow factor as well.
9. Neil Young....."Harvest" Obvious reasons.
10. Joni Mitchell...."Blue" Obvious reasons.

October 19, 2007 @ 9:34 PM

dale

Jill: Klaatu was a great experience. I worked with 1 of the band members (Terry Draper) during the summer when I was going to U of T in the 70's. Their 2nd album is better than their 1st.
Thanks for recognizing a great Cdn. band & album.

October 19, 2007 @ 10:11 PM

Jill

Dale....Hope is a great album as well.

October 19, 2007 @ 10:55 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Anyone who would say that this list is crap and include the Hip in that statement a)cannot consider themselves canadian b) just doesnt have the musical sense necessary to appreciate this list.
No wonder they kept themselves anonymous

October 20, 2007 @ 8:30 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

To each their own, but this looks as if The Edge sponsored the list. The Who's and the Leonard Cohens should be in there, and so should often forgotten Classic CFNY bands.

The Aracde Fire has to be the most over-rated band of the decade but that's what happens when you're forced to listen to so much Canadian content whether it's good or not.

There are at least 600 bands better than the Arcade Fire and at least 200 Canadian bands better than The Arcade Fire and The Hip have been stale for years and years.

October 20, 2007 @ 10:46 AM

Toronto Mike

Another guy who doesn't get "subjective". I purposely didn't call this "Ten Best Canadian Albums", but "My Ten Favourite Canadian Albums".

As for the Edge comment, they play the stuff I like, for the most part. It's not like I've got Nickelback or Sum41 on my list. They played lots of Lowest of the Low, Sloan and Hip, and I loved them for it.

As for the Arcade Fire, we'll have to agree to disagree once more.

And, I've already explained to death the lack of Guess Who (The Who are British) and Leonard Cohen.

October 20, 2007 @ 10:51 AM

Ajax Mike

My only disappointment is that you didn't use the original 'goofy photo' for Gordon. :)

October 20, 2007 @ 12:11 PM

Christine

No Moxy Fruvous? I'm hurt! ;)

October 20, 2007 @ 1:36 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

To Jason,
If you think the Hip have been stale for years and years you obviously havent listened to their last three amazing CDs....
Arcade Fire while new and not necessarily proven amongst the ranks are good compared to other bands out there like Nickelback and at the very least they are putting out stuff that is somewhat inventive. I Like Arcade Fire to the point whre I can see why they would make this list.
One that I would include on there even though I dont like him is Byran Adams

October 20, 2007 @ 3:40 PM

Toronto Mike

Jason, those of us in the >30 crowd miss the way CFNY was, but life goes on. My 40 friend talks about how much CFNY sucked in the 90s, but I loved and still listen to the core CFNY playlist from 1990-1995. Heck, I even date a couple of CFNY DJs from that era. ;-)

Without CFNY, where would i have heard Lowest of the Low, Rusty, Hayden, BNL or Sloan? They're crappier than they were, but they still have a better playlist than the other local terrestrial radio stations, and that counts for something.

October 20, 2007 @ 4:29 PM

Toronto Mike

Ajax Mike, I've made the repair. You're right, there's only one true Gordon cover...

October 20, 2007 @ 6:15 PM

Roshan

I would have
Stunt - Barenaked Ladies
God Shuffled His Feet - Crash Test Dummies
Silver - Nickelback
Roll The Bones - Rush
Happiness...- Our Lady Peace
in there. I must say that the CTD album was a good friend to me for the year I spent in a hostel in Bangalore. I listened to it almost everynight as I went to bed.

October 21, 2007 @ 2:36 AM

Christine

Nope, Not "Stunt." That was an insult of an album to BNL fans of the early years.

But Mike is right about CFNY. If it wasn't for them back in the early 90s, I would have never heard BNL, Moxy Fruvous or Meryn Cadell.

October 21, 2007 @ 12:37 PM

Christine

Yup I know! He's on my friends list on LiveJournal.

He teaches in Vancouver.

October 22, 2007 @ 3:32 PM

Dave

Some personal faves of mine not yet mentioned:
Blue Rodeo - 5 Days in May
Rush - Moving Pictures
The Waltons - Lik My Trakter
Our Lady Peace - Clumsy

July 1, 2010 @ 4:03 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Great list, but I would also like to add the following:

Manteca-No Heroes