I Just Want A Coffee

coffeeThere's a Starbucks on every corner and I don't understand the allure at all. I just don't get it. I enjoy coffee, but have you ever gone into a Starbucks and asked for coffee? They look at you like you just asked for an oil change. Starbucks doesn't sell coffee. They have blends like Joya del Dia, Arabian Mocha Sanani and Ubora.

I like to walk into a coffee shop and ask for an extra large double-double. I don't know how to do that at Starbucks. I don't know how to do that at Second Cup, either, which may explain why I spend most of my coffee drinking moments at Tim Hortons.

At Tim Hortons, they know exactly what I want when I ask for an extra large double-double. They know I want coffee.

Mike Kic

Ya Booner, I totally agree with you on this one. Only in desperate times do I go to a Starbucks or Second Cup. But the thing I don't understand is I have to put the cream and sugar in by myself and make sure I get it right. So why is there a tip jar at these locations and hardly any at Tim Horton's? Don't they provide the better service? I just want a coffee....something to wake me up in the morning and kick start my day.

September 26, 2007 @ 2:09 PM

Toronto Mike

And the coffee sucks! Starbucks tastes burnt to me. And yeah, don't make me put the cream in sugar in by myself - I suck at that.

September 26, 2007 @ 2:15 PM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

starbucks sucks, but i can translate for you

you're supposed to ask for a grande mild

that will get you something close to normal.

September 26, 2007 @ 2:57 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Yeah something close to normal for like $5.....why pay $5 when you can get it at Tims for half the price or make it at home for nothing.

September 26, 2007 @ 4:34 PM

Another Mike

Typically there are coffee offerings available at any given time at Starbucks:

mild (or regular)
bold (or strong)
decaf (ick, stay away)

And it's not $5. Lattes, cappuchinos, espresso, and the other fancy stuff are $5 or more. A "grande" (that's "medium size" to the Tim Horton's folk) coffee is currently $2 including tax.

September 26, 2007 @ 5:57 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Well you can still get it for less than $2 at Tims

September 28, 2007 @ 6:36 AM

K

Being more versed in coffee, i find it astonishing how far backwards Canada is about it, but Canada seems to be in the midst of a war against quality, or perhaps it's just against individuality-- at Starbucks everyone can have a coffee tailored specifically to them, at tim hortins everyone drinks the same thing. Even 3rd world Asia has some better coffee shops. In Canada mostly all you see is Tim Hortons or Coffee time and they are no different than 7/11 or any gas station in the states, they don't even make any specialty coffee except what comes from a coffee vending machine where there is no skill on the part of the barista and where it's loaded with sugar. In the states they have these same exact machines but where you stick 75 cents in them and it drops a cup and pours the coffee. These are not real lattes/cappucinos etc, if anything they might be considered terrible mocha's. Real cappucinos and lattes do not have sugar added by default. Tim Hortins is a total abomination, but i guess they just rely on anti-americanism and herd behavior to stay in business. Great!! enjoy your mass produced gas station vending machine coffee together sheep, ill enjoy a nice grande latte for roughly the same price-- a latte that doesn't come from a machine, or taste like chocolate syrup. I guess that makes me some sort of arrogant self-centered snob because i prefer quality coffee specially tailored to my taste. So be it.

February 20, 2009 @ 6:34 PM

The_Voice

I get a half coffee, half hot chocolate for 1.65, that I can't get elsewhere for that deal. I enjoy the occasional mocha from starbucks, but it costs 5.35, and the pressed coffee used (as opposed to filtered at timmies) always makes me worry about cholesterol.

April 3, 2009 @ 9:06 PM