Lambton House

torontoLambton House is located at 4066 Old Dundas Street, just west of the intersection of Scarlett Road and Dundas Street West, on the east side of the Humber River. It was a hotel and tavern for 140 years until it's vacancy in 1988 and it's a building I've often passed and wondered about.

Today, on a beautiful Saturday in the city, I convinced my brother Ryan to join me for a walk to James Gardens. We left the path briefly to visit Lambton House and snap a few pictures. With the game heading to overtime, I'm now doing a little research on this historical site.

From LambtonHouse.org:

During the prosperous period of Lambton Mills (1850 - 1915), Lambton House was surrounded by large grist mills, saw mills, woolen mills and the local Post Office. The Lambton House was the centre of social activity for the area as well as serving as a station on the stagecoach route on Southern Ontario's main east-west highway. During the early part of the 20th century, Lambton House was a favourite destination for city residents looking for a place to picnic and enjoy a trip to the "country". Lambton House survived the devastating fire of 1915 that destroyed the surrounding buildings, saved by the fact that it was the sole brick building in the area. During Hurricane Hazel, Lambton House served as a staging point for rescue efforts.

The building was designated as an historical site by the City of York in 1985 and the plaque dedicated during the York Bicentennial celebrations in 1993. Restoration began in 1991, with funding from the Province, the City and Heritage York. The exterior was completed in early 1994. Phase II, the main floor interior, was completed in 1998. Phase III, the second floor, was completed in 2002.

Lambton House Lambton House

dale

During the mid 70's I was in a band & we actually played The Lambton Tavern on New Year's Eve in 1974-75. What an experience for a 17 year old as my parents had to sign a waiver if anything happened because I was underage. Probably one of the best GIGS we ever done.
Goddo was the headliner that night & Greg Godovitz went to our high school although he was somewhat older.
Where is the old Queensbury Arms at East Dr. & Scarlett Rd. Another great haunt.

May 19, 2007 @ 8:06 PM

Toronto Mike

That's a very cool story.

In Goddo we trust!

May 19, 2007 @ 8:12 PM

peter woods

I know this may be an old link, however i couldn't resist commenting.
I grew up in the apartment building across from the tavern (1971-1984apx) and my bedroom window looked over the tavern. Boy the stories i could tell you of late night friday saturday brawls etc.
There was a great big chesnut tree at the SW corner of the tavern that we would play in and collect chesnuts.
There was also a long term resident/caretaker of the tavern who had a rope burn on his neck, always chasing us off.

I'm glad to see it was not torn down, and has ben restored.

Thanks,

Peter Woods

January 16, 2008 @ 11:37 AM

denise randell

all i have to say it that it was the best roast beef sandwich and fried with gravy ever. i agree with you peter

April 17, 2008 @ 6:23 PM

glen galloway

The first ten years of my life i lived at 4042 Old Dundas. I also remember the roast beef sandwiches and playing on and around the chestnut tree.I also did my first tattoo on myself sitting on the front steps. Lots of fun times in the valley, 25 years to be exact.

April 22, 2010 @ 5:48 PM

Karen-Ronaldson-Woodcock

OMG do I remember the Lampton tavern!! Yes the best roast beef sandwiches with fries and gravy. We used to party there with a particular math teacher from R.C.I. Knew so many people in "the valley". Memeories..... *sigh* :)

February 3, 2011 @ 6:42 PM

Anonymous

Part of the Buxx video for Cant Say No was shot at the Queensbury Arms in about 1982
On Youtube

July 27, 2011 @ 4:50 PM

Cary Piedra

I miss those sandwiches, I used to work at Kenroc Metals on Dundas and Scarlett (or Jane) in the early 80's and went there often for lunch.
Then I moved to Cambridge.:-( Where can I eat those sandwiches? any ideas??

January 8, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

thomas

The pepper steak and cold draft were the best after hockey at the Lambton Arena, about 1970.

February 3, 2015 @ 11:27 AM

Peter Lewis & Sue Lewis

Does anyone remember Sid, Carl, Nick, Bill, Andy the cook, owners Morris and Sam????? It was our regular hangout for many, many years. They should have cleaned it up. No need to do what they did to it. It would be a goldmine right now and I'm sure many of us regulars from a long time ago, would still be going there. It has been ruined!!!! What a shame.

January 15, 2016 @ 11:04 PM

Pete & Sue Lewis

BTW, the long term resident was Charlie, and he was brilliant. He was an architect. Many people were afraid of him. Obviously they didn't know him. He was harmless and such a bright man. We were never frightened by him because we knew him for many, many years. We wish the Lambton Tavern was still operating as we remember it.....

January 15, 2016 @ 11:12 PM

Karen

I lived in the apartment building beside the Lambton tavern. During the late 60's to 1971 when I moved my father worked there as a waiter on weekends and I was always allowed in the back of the kitchen for treats . So glad it is still there .

November 1, 2016 @ 6:28 PM