The 17th Annual Humble & Fred Christmas Show

microphoneI was lucky enough to be a little slice of broadcast history this weekend. Regular visitors to this site have seen me write about The Humble & Fred radio show. It began in 1989 on CFNY-FM (later renamed Edge 102) and was the morning show I awoke to until it moved to Mojo 640 in April 2001. The team was broken up in the summer of 2005 when Fred Patterson was relieved of his duties at Mix 99.9. In July 2006, Humble Howard experienced the same cruel fate.

For many a Humble & Fred fan, their annual Christmas show was a highlight of the season. This Christmas marked the first time in seventeen years that neither was on the radio. The Humble & Fred Christmas Show was dead... or was it? I received a call on the QT from Humble on December 8th in which we discussed the logistics of recording a Christmas show and sharing it at humbleandfred.com. On December 10th I wrote a plan of a attack and received a late night call from Humble indicating it was a definite go. I threw a temporary countdown page at humbleandfred.com and was told to be at Dan Duran's house on December 16 at 10:30 in the morning. I was going to be the embedded journalist as history unfolded.

It had been well over a year since the two conversed on the mic as they had daily for over sixteen years, so I knew this was something special. I was also a fan of their folksy charm and humour that never failed to make me laugh. I charged the battery of my digital camera and made the short stroll to Dan's house yesterday morning unsure of what to expect but certain I'd be witnessing something extraordinary.

In addition to Dan Duran who was producing the show in his home office, his wife and son were mingling about when I showed up. Soon thereafter, Humble Howard arrived with his daughter Spencer, followed by Fred Patterson, Scary Bald Headed Pete (who is no longer bald) and Bingo Bob. Dan, Pete and Bob were all former producers of the Humble & Fred show making me the one person in the room who had never appeared on the radio show. My plan was to not pollute the process, take it all in and snap a ton of pictures.

The first thing I noticed was how natural and genuine it all seemed. There was some discussion about how it would all unfold, some audio checks and arrangement of the non-live material and then it was show time. It was all so slick, Humble and Fred anticipated each other so well, it was like watching a couple that's been together so long they finish each other's sentences. Even better, it's totally organic. No scripts, no second takes, just a natural flow that's both endearing and hilarious. The warm and fuzzy nature of the hour long show is perfect for this time of year. The Baileys Irish Creme in the coffee didn't hurt either. By the end of the show, Dan's wife was literally preparing martinis. It was the most fun you can have on a Saturday morning without taking your clothes off.

The show itself included a frank discussion about what transpired since Mix 99.9, a recollection of Christmas shows past, some great performances by The Doo Wops and Barenaked Ladies, the annual favourite "Snow Removal Machine" and a number of great Humble & Fred exchanges that make you scratch your head and wonder why these two are still out of work.

On the morning of December 22, the 17th Annual Humble & Fred Christmas Show will be available at humbleandfred.com. You will be able to stream it from the site or download the MP3. If you were ever a fan of the Humble & Fred morning show, or if you're just curious what all the fuss is about and in the holiday spirit, you're going to want to check this out.

Throughout the broadcast yesterday morning I was overwhelmed with this tingling feeling that had nothing to do with Baileys or Jackie's martinis. A large media company forced Humble and Fred off of their airwaves ending a seventeen year run in Canada's largest market. Without a time slot on terrestrial or satellite radio, the Christmas show survived. Think of the Grinch stealing all the Christmas trees and presents in Whoville. The Whos' holiday spirit could not be crushed just as Humble and Fred's voice could not be silenced. You can take their jobs, but they belong to us.

Take a moment to check out my Humble and Fred Holiday Reunion photoset. Witness history in the making for yourself. I was honoured to be a part of it.

The Gang

Stephanie

Perfect.

December 17, 2006 @ 1:54 PM

Leslie

so cool. . .those mugs belong together! Thanks & cheers. . .clink!

gotmoxie

December 17, 2006 @ 8:47 PM

buffalo Boy

Sweet, Had a feeling but still just as big a surprise! Can not wait to get home from work on Friday the 22.
You guys are the best!
Buffalo Boy (Mike)

December 18, 2006 @ 7:29 AM

Dave

Looking forward to hearing the show. Thanks for the write-up.

December 18, 2006 @ 7:29 AM

Rob

and a big THANK YOU to Mike Boon, for showing Humble and Fred where the the ON switch is on their computers

Happy Holidays all

December 18, 2006 @ 8:24 AM

Megan

Happy Happy, Joy Joy!
All is right in the world again, at least for a moment.

December 18, 2006 @ 9:26 AM

AF

Will be great to download listen on the weekend. Will be good to hear you all again :)

December 18, 2006 @ 12:29 PM

Brenda

This is the best Christmas present EVER!

December 18, 2006 @ 3:03 PM

Brian

Nice job , can't wait for Friday ! i have missed you to ugly slobs . Radio ain't the same .
Merry Christmas Boys !

December 18, 2006 @ 5:45 PM

John

Cant wait .Hope it wont be the last brodcast of all of you. Will download and play every Christmas from now on.loving youuu.

December 18, 2006 @ 5:46 PM

Georganne Clarkson

Thank you so much guys for putting this together. I have been on all of your blogs every day to get my Humble and Fred fix, but it's not the same as hearing the radio banter.

LONG LIVE HUMBLE AND FRED!!!!!

December 18, 2006 @ 6:02 PM

Mark

I'll be there!

Thanks for not leaving us Humble and Fred!!!!

December 20, 2006 @ 2:10 PM

The Bub

Way to go!!

December 20, 2006 @ 8:28 PM

The Bub

great stuff!!!

December 20, 2006 @ 8:30 PM

Bob

Let's hope this one show is just the beginning for more good things to come.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all who celebrate and happy holidays to all the other ones who will get the days off as well!!!!!

December 20, 2006 @ 9:52 PM

Colin Anderson

Hey men, woman kids and animals!!!

On behalf of myself and ALL Scottsih people I want to wish the 2 old buggers a very merry Christmas.

Ive been following both HUmble and freddies sites since they parted company last year.

I think Jerry Springer could have taken this on.

Broken up back together Broken up back together again.

Its about time we formed an alliance and got them both back on air as myself and many others miss your daily CRAAAAAAAAP

Merry Chrstmas

WEE SCOTTISH COLIN!!!!

December 20, 2006 @ 10:11 PM

Sarah

This past August, after I heard the first Mix ad for the new terrible two morning creeps, I sent an angry email to the first Mixperson I could find. The drone told me, as I was told the year before, that Humble was now working within the Mix company. Riiiight. So glad that HumbleFred have the balls to still be creative and to throw a gigantic finger to the St. Clair Mix. Loooving You!

December 20, 2006 @ 10:19 PM

Fred

What do we have to do to get these boys back on the air?

Looking forward to the show...always loved the x-mas special. Hopefully a little drunk at christmas?

December 20, 2006 @ 10:25 PM

Bruce Fraser

WAKE UP Toronto media "Moguls!!!!!!

WTF is wrong with you radio "Moguls" in the GTA market??? We have Humble and Fred NOT on the air and we HAVE Mad Dog & Billie, Derringer, Roger, Rick & Marilyn, Erin & Mike, Stu & Colleen, et al ON the air??? In the TORONTO MARKET??? DUH!!!! PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!! Not to be ridiculing the aforementioned radio people, but GET A LIFE "moguls", none of these people are even in the same league as H & F!!!!! Humble and Fred RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 21, 2006 @ 1:12 AM

Sindy

This is AWESOME!!! (if even for a moment)
I have been forced to listen to News radio becuase I can't stand to listen to those other guys.
Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!
Loving YOU!

December 21, 2006 @ 9:20 AM

Felis D

WOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I am so downloading that if it costs me all the bandwidth I have access too!

I loved the Christmas show every year. It always made me sad when I had to turn off the radio and get to work.

Ain't no party like a HumbleFred party!!!

December 21, 2006 @ 5:43 PM

Kevin

That was great! I hope that more is in the works. The reminder of how fun the Horseshoe was excellent!

Fingers crossed for more opportunities like this!

Cheers!

December 22, 2006 @ 11:56 AM

Kris Kringle

that was sooooo GREAT.

Brought back really fond memories and it was nice to get a HumbleFred "hit"....every time I hear Madog and Billie (which is not often) I seriously want to vomit.

I love you Humble and Fred!

December 22, 2006 @ 2:52 PM

mike

That was fantastic, it was great to hear H&F together again!!! I still press my presets on my car radio in the morning searching in vain for something that even comes close to the entertainment value of the H&F morning show. Toronto Radio Program Directors - swallow your pride and realize the error of your ways! Bring back H&F!!!

December 22, 2006 @ 3:11 PM

Earl

that was a great show. thanks fellas.

December 22, 2006 @ 3:26 PM

Stephen Clark

Humble went off the air just before I moved and started commuting by TTC instead of by car... worst month of my life. There are NO good morning shows in GTA anymore.

Since then, I've become dependent on podcasts. I'm glad to see that I've got my Humble & Fred back. Good luck, guys!

December 23, 2006 @ 1:14 PM

Lynn

I'm so grateful you guys did this. I was devistated to think that I would go a year without H & F Christmas!

December 23, 2006 @ 2:14 PM

MikeM

Fantastic! I just finished listening to Marsden's 1982 Christmas show (downloaded from the Spirit of Radio), and now I can listen to Humble and Fred again! Internet radio is here to stay guys, keep it coming, there's not much on the FM band anymore!

December 24, 2006 @ 9:17 PM

JIm Lanigan

Great team effort.Thanks. Wellworth the listen

December 24, 2006 @ 9:42 PM

Jackie

That was just perfection! I can't wait to hear you guys back on the air EVERY morning!!! There is simply NOTHING worth listening to. My New Years wish is to have you both back on the radio!

December 25, 2006 @ 10:53 PM

Doug

Thanks! I'm spending Christmas in a Calgary hotel room after working a 12 hour day. (Airline life is so glamourous.) Hearing H&F "on the air" again has put a smile back on my face.

December 25, 2006 @ 11:30 PM

Tarzan Dan Freeman

Just wanted to say...nice one...all the best in 2007! And...jeez I think I am in love with Dan's sweater.
Cheers Dan

December 31, 2006 @ 6:45 PM

Toronto Mike

The Humble and Fred podcasts can now be heard at http://www.torontomike.com/humbleandfred/.

November 1, 2007 @ 12:21 PM