Harold Hosein Hosed

citytvAsk a Torontonian to name a weatherman and he'll likely say Harold Hosein. Ask me about the weather and I'm likely to slip into a Harold Hosein accent and tell you to bring an umbrella or sweater. For seventeen years Hosein's been on City-TV, standing on that roof or street telling us what the weather will be like, but that chapter's been slammed shut. Hosein has been canned.

Is Harold Hosein the fall guy for City-TV's inept news ratings? City-TV currently ranks a distant third when it comes to local Toronto news, behind CTV and Global. Are they really pinning that on the weather guy? It surely can't have anything to do with Gordo and that bint (his term, not mine) who have anchored that desk for the past trillion years or so.

So long, Harold. Don't forget a hat and sunscreen, it's going to be sunny.

Jill

CityTV has a history of releasing the old for the new. At least we can still hear him on the radio.

June 22, 2006 @ 11:32 AM

Annemarie

He must be pissed.

News story to support this?

June 22, 2006 @ 12:49 PM

Annemarie

Good article, thx. Poor Harold, Nadine & any other unsuspecting employees.

June 22, 2006 @ 2:54 PM

Mike martin

I think it is really a shame. I will miss his weather forcasts and his friendly straight forward ways.

June 27, 2006 @ 12:28 AM

Bruce

So Harold wasn't a weatherman/clown like those guys on the other local stations. THAT'S WHY I LIKED getting my weather from Citytv. When I want funny I'll find real funny by myself; I don't need bad standup on my news programming. Just tell me the bloody weather before I have to run out the door. Good luck, Harold. You'll be missed.

June 27, 2006 @ 1:34 PM

Chris and Claude

We miss you Harold, you were the best weatherman on TV. Good luck and we'll be looking for you.
Chris and Claude

June 27, 2006 @ 5:29 PM

Alysa & Beth

Harold is by far the most trustworthy and reliable weatherman in the GTA. It is a travesty that CityTV could betray him after so many years of loyal service. Best wishes Harold, we'll continue to listen to you on AM680.

June 28, 2006 @ 9:08 PM

Andre Singh

The Toronto Star has
a write up on it
. Apparently Harold is engaging a lawyer to make sure the "dis-attachment" goes smoothly. I've met the man and he is a class act - much more than a "weather personality." Clear skies and a smooth sailing to you Harold!

June 29, 2006 @ 2:47 PM

Douglas Coggon

Harold is the real deal, a classic straight shooter. If this comes off as a rant, please forgive...

He's an old friend of the family, but fell out of touch with my parents. I used to teach Grade 5/6 a few years ago...

When I called him 20 years later (ie. after my folks lost contact with him), he kindly agreed to do a little school visit to complement our class's Grade 5 'Weather' curriculum. He brought in weather balloons, and various meteorological instruments. In a nutshell, he gave the kids the proverbial inside scoop on how meteorologists forecast the weather. The kids were amazed -- as a teacher, I couldn't have possibly come close to giving them more insight into the science of weather as Harold did in his one hour presentation.

As to his commitment to his job, one teacher asked if he could mention the school by name that night after his visit. He was firm -- Harold respectfully declined, but noted that his City TV news segments were tight, and he truly didn't have the seconds to spare.

I suspect that many would regard the weather as a place in which little 'weather bunnies' get their start in TV news. Not Harold -- he put in the time... I boosted this from another blog, but Harold's qualifications are of the highest order:

He joined Environment Canada in 1968 as a weather observer, analyzing and making maps/charts. Harold was appointed to the Toronto International Airport and in 1969, trained for upper air observations (balloons with radios, making soundings of upper atmosphere and translating into charts). Harold trained in advanced meteorology in 1971-72 and for the next ten years was a radar weather media consultant.

In 1989, after 21 years at Environment Canada, Harold joined the team at "CityPulse." He also serves as staff meteorologist at radio station 680News. Harold is certified by the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society.

Here's the kicker... I'm pretty sure that Harold didn't bother to have his certification from the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society displayed prominently on his broadcasts (unlike other up-in-coming 'pretty boy' weathermen, or ancient, washed-up old boys who rely on childish drawings on a clear screen to deliver the weather with self-perceived panache. Harold was, and is, confident in his expertise -- he has nothing to prove.

I've seen a few blogs that refer to Harold as a groundbreaking visible minority in the news media. Very noble, but..

I don't pretend to speak for him, but I'd be blown away if elevating the status of visible minorities was the primary focus in his career. Personally, I think that he just came to Canada, worked bloody hard and bloody long in a field he loved, played things fair and square, and that was the end of it. What more could we ask of anyone -- Canadian immigrant or otherwise?

Harold, you're a gentleman and a scholar, and an expert in your field. Whatever happens, I bid you peace, and prosperity.

Doug

July 15, 2006 @ 1:02 PM

Annemarie

You're telling me CityTV is paying Michael Kuss more than Global did?!

July 17, 2006 @ 12:31 PM

Gerry Lall

Doug,
Your comments are far from a rant, but an accurate assessment of the individual I know.
What's really galling about the situation is that City-tv, the station that has based it's very existence and corporate persona on representing and fighting for the "little guy" and which purports to be the face of "diversity" in Toronto, had the temerity to serve notice to someone who provided 17 years of professional service to them via a voicemail.... after returning from 4 weeks of holiday, no less. That's a FACT!! City tried to distribute information via press releases that Harold chose to move on to other career pursuits... nonsense. He was terminated, and in the most ignominious of fashions. Shame on City-tv for its treatment of a classy, devoted and long-time empoloyee who assisted significantly in raising their corporate and commuity profiles. Their actions speak more loudly than words and Harold's loyal viewers and listeners need to know the truth about his treatment by the executives at City. Even more classless is City's removal of all references to Harold on its site... not even in the search function. I understand that there has been quite a response to his departure, as there should be. Individuals of Harold Hosein' class, stature and humility are few and far between. I was a loyal City-tv viewer and have followed the station from the days of it's inception... not any longer. Businesses who treat their employees with such indiscretion doesn't deserve a clientele.

July 18, 2006 @ 4:11 PM

Douglas Coggon

Thanks Gerry. I too find myself looking elsewhere for my news fix -- ironically, to Global, more often than not. Speaking of the early days of CITY-TV, I wonder where Moses Znaimer's voice is in all of this. I hope he sues CITY blind in court.

July 20, 2006 @ 1:49 PM

Kyle

Harold was probably fired cause he was too high on himself. He was rude to people in public and his on-camera persona certainly did not match his real-life bitterness. Kuss does a great job and have brought flare to City TV. He has injected humour and is a real fit for viewers across the country.

April 9, 2008 @ 7:11 PM

Ian

Harold Hosein is no longer with 680 news....I found out today...02/04/09

February 4, 2009 @ 2:56 PM

Retire.. like everyone else does

Harold, at 79-80 years olfd maybe should LEAVE the jobs to people who have families to raise . He's financially secure and at his age.. who wants him anymore.
Get Real and stop being so selfish. He showed NO class telling his story and trashing CITY...now what's the excuse for the 680 release..
WHO CARES...!!!

February 11, 2009 @ 2:27 PM

Brian

Shame on City tv. I will be getting my news elsewhere.

April 8, 2011 @ 4:38 AM