A Homophobic Agenda

usaI know those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but I don't really care if my house shatters and I've got a lot of stones weighing me down. Our man Harper has a rather hateful opinion of same-sex marriage but Dubya seems absolutely obsessed with it and has been desperately lobbying for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. Of all the issues his country is facing these days, this is the one that gets his knickers in a knot.

Thankfully, the US Senate blocked the measure earlier today. Dubya, ever the persistent little shit, seems hell-bent on pursuing a constitutional amendment defining marriage as solely between a man and a woman. Why he would waste such energy on such a homophobic agenda when there's a quagmire in Iraq, an illegal immigration crisis at home and soaring energy costs is inexplicable to me.

In related news, Harper has promised to hold a free vote in Parliament this fall to learn whether MPs still support a law passed last year allowing same-sex marriages. The passing of C-38 was a moment of pride for this nation and Harper too ought to move on to more important issues. Harper and Dubya, cut from the same archaic cloth.

Al

Bush is always trying to divert attention from the mess that is Iraq. Last month he was all over the problem of Mexicans crossing their border, this month it's back to the gay marriage thing. The man's numbers are going down and he's playing three card monty with the voters. Can you find the real issue? Iraq, Mexicans or Homosexuals?

June 8, 2006 @ 11:36 AM

Al

Boy Jon can be a brilliant debator when he's on can't he? I'm a big fan. I'm actually going up to Casino Rama tonight to see him perform. I bought the tickets a few months ago for my wife's birthday. She loves him.

June 9, 2006 @ 3:18 PM

Mike Boon

Jon Stewart can use humour as a weapon in debating like nobody I've ever heard before. The timing and sharpness of his wit is unmatchable.

He should run for President. I think he'd win.

June 9, 2006 @ 3:24 PM

Al

Screw running for President! He should run for Prime Minister! He'd have a chance here. BTW, Friday night's show was awesome! He really played to the Canadian Crowd with some of the current events. Just like on his show.

June 12, 2006 @ 9:31 AM

Mike Boon

Give us a taste - I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious.

Let's hear some Jon Stewart CanCon!

June 12, 2006 @ 9:34 AM

Al

I'm horrible at remembering jokes after watching a comedy show so I'll just quote from the Toronto Sun quoting Stewart:

"Getting here was really easy, because I was staying at an Al Qaeda training camp right near by, so it’s just a quick jog,"

"I never knew when I was asked to play a casino in Ontario that I’d be closer to an Al Qaeda training camp than a museum."

"But coming from New York, I want to thank you for making me feel at home. I never want to get too far away from the threat of terrorism. I don’t want to take a vacation from the idea that I could be smited."

Those weren't his funniest lines but they should give you the gist.

June 14, 2006 @ 11:20 AM