The Champ

The ChampI stumbled across The Champ this morning. The Champ is a radio bit I used to listen to every morning before jetting off to high school. It was part of Brother Jake Edward's Q Morning Zoo on Q107 for years.

It's back. Q107 plays The Champ at approximately 7:45 each morning, and judging from the voice, Brother Jake Edwards is back at the helm.

If you've never heard The Champ, it's basically a hot-headed former boxer who misinterprets things said to him by other people causing him to fly off the handle. Perhaps someone was asking his wife to pass the tea bag, and The Champ would hear it as a request to pass the tea, bag. One time he snapped when he was told his wife was a thespian following her performance in a play. You get the idea.

You can listen to bits from The Champ online here, here and here.

Of course, part of the fun of The Champ was the way they would get around saying things on the radio you simply didn't hear back then. Double innuendo was their loop hole. Today, you hear just about everything on morning radio, so it's lost it's allure somewhat. Still, it's surreal hearing The Champ again. Throughout the past decade I would occasionally slip into my Champ imitation and "lose it". It's not quite as much fun as it was 12 years ago, but it sure conjures up a lot of good memories.

finster

Hey Champ, why don't you take your hat and jacket off?

I said pardon? ...

November 20, 2007 @ 6:32 PM

Mark Bayne

(The Champ is at driving range one day)

A guy comes up to me and says:
"Hey Champ, do you want your balls washed"?

I said, pardon . .

Does anyone know where I can get some champ clips? If so, send link to thebaynes@gmail.com

Thanks all . .a blow to the solar plexus . .etc etc

March 1, 2008 @ 12:13 PM

Nigel

The Champ is definitely "The Champ"! I haven't heard anything on the radio that makes me laugh consistently like he does. Truly a classic and brings back the memories of old Benny Hill! Thanks Jake!

April 2, 2008 @ 10:13 PM

DB

One time,the champ & his wife were looking for a semi-trailer at a big rig store - "Hey champ- you need a new Peterbuilt!" I said: "Pardon?" "Well I lost it......
This was on 92 Citifm in Wpg. years back. Brings back good memories, and I'd like to hear all the old ones.

June 13, 2008 @ 5:09 PM

danny

Thank God! We get to hear The Champ on KJKJ108 in Grand Forks ND. I thought that voice was familiar, but after 25 yrs. of not hearing CITI-FM who'da thunk it was ol' Brother Jake? Always good for a laugh...work stops at my job whenever The Champ comes on. Thanx, Bro Jake. Really miss the CITI-FM days...that was the only station worth having on in northern MN in the early 80's

January 17, 2009 @ 11:02 AM

JOhn

My favorite was when the Champ and Mrs Champ come back from Africa and Mrs Champ has some shrunken Pygmy heads.She has a couple extra so Knuckles says to the Champ - hey Champ can I get a little head from Mrs. Champ?

May 2, 2009 @ 11:34 AM

Anonymous

hi here comes the champ coming in his new golf pants!

hey champ, why don't you move your piece of shit to the back while I give your wife the probe.

hi champ, I just blew my wad on your wife's face!

May 15, 2009 @ 3:38 PM

Sue

Remember this one....Mr. McGinity tree stump. Mrs. Champ was do some gardening, and Knuckles was watching and hollers out to the Champ. "Hey champ, I see Mrs. Champ is planting her tulips around old Mr. McGinity stump" I said pardon.... ever since I been the champ....

May 20, 2009 @ 2:22 PM

madmarc

Remember when Mrs. Champ had a heart attack? The paramedics arrived, assessed her and said, " Hey Champ! Your wife has acute angina!"

Remember when the Champ and Knuckles had to sleep in bunk beds? Knuckles said, " Hey Champ, do you want the bunk above me or B'low me?"

Remember when the Champ had a carpentry job with Jack? One day the boss had to downsize, so he said, " Hey Champ! I have to lay you or Jack off!"

June 4, 2009 @ 1:58 PM

LOL

Remember when The Champ went to the planetarium? The little boy says to The Champ, "Hey Champ, when I look through this telescope I can see Ur-Anus." and The Champ says, "Pardon??"

June 4, 2009 @ 2:53 PM

whackamole

Remember when the Champ took Mrs. Champ to the fish market? The store ran out of shopping bags so they gave Mrs. Champ a cardboard box. At the checkout, the cashier says, "Hey Champ! Mrs. Champ's box smells like fish!"

June 5, 2009 @ 10:29 AM

Sin City Boy

At a party after The Champ and Mrs. Champ had attended a Chicago hockey game, Michael Jordan remarked to The Champ that "Mrs. Champ really seemed to enjoy our Black Hawks"...well, as you can imagine, losing it and snapping ensued...

June 12, 2009 @ 12:27 AM

Anonymous

the champ was out having a few wobbly pops with don cherry and his dog blue one night, knuckles maldoon heard about it and said to the champ, hey champ, i heard you were out with don cherry and blue his dog, i snapped, lost it,,, ever since i've been the champ

June 27, 2009 @ 1:20 PM

MolsunMorg

Remember the one where Champ and Mrs. Champ were shopping at Christmas time for the less fortunate kids, so they picked up a dozen or so of the stuffed animals (woody Woodpecker ect), and the Champ is walking through the mall with these bags and knuckles Yells out from across the mall,,,hey Champ your woody's hangin out!! Well I never...I loooose it!!

This was an absolute must listen to every morning on my commute into Toronto. Some of the looks I used to get from people in cars around me on the 401. Some mornings I was almost in tears laughing at what was being said. Great job brother Jake!!

July 14, 2009 @ 1:05 PM

dingus82

Remember this one?

Champ, Mrs Champ and Knuckles go to a baseball game. Batter hits a homerun and Mrs Champ catches the ball. Knuckles says “Hey Mrs Champ! Nice snatch!”

July 16, 2009 @ 2:42 PM

Anonymous

youtube has some clips

July 23, 2009 @ 10:19 PM

Anonymous

Hey I remember the one where Champ walks into the bank and he is surprised the Banker runs up to him and says "Hey Champ, I got your wife a loan!!" I said Pardon?? Champ, I got your wife alone!! Well I lose it!!

Too funny

September 25, 2009 @ 1:02 PM

Qwkenuf

One of the best was when The Champ, Mrs. Champ, and Mrs. Champ's Mom were out on the lake in a rowboat. Knuckles Muldoon was having problems starting the outboard motor on his boat, so he hollers over to The Champ "Hey Champ! Why don't you bring those two old oars you have with you, come over here, and have a pull on my Johnson!" Hilarious!

October 8, 2009 @ 11:07 PM

hockeyspy

Any links to the Blackhawk clip?

Thx

October 16, 2009 @ 6:22 PM

Anonymous

One of my fav's was the dentist says to the Champ" why those are the whitest teeth I've ever come across"
Even reading these it's hard not to laugh out loud

October 31, 2009 @ 3:07 PM

C Anderson

Here is the url for a current list of The Champ's audio clips

November 1, 2009 @ 3:53 PM

Bernie

Hey guys, is it sacreligious to make up new Champ jokes?

Bernie

April 3, 2010 @ 11:05 PM

Petra

it was very nice to meet you
I had no idea who you were and i guess that was part of the fun. Your girlfriend is amazing. hang onto her

June 2, 2010 @ 6:39 PM

yllwjeep

haven't heard The Champ since '92-'93 on KOMP - Las Vegas. In my favorite episode, Mr. and Mrs. Champ, along with Knuckles Muldoon, visit the Hershey Factory, Hershey PA. Knuckles asks The Champ, "Hey Champ, hows about I take Mrs. Champ up the Hershey Highway?"
"Pardon?"
It still makes me chuckle :)

September 11, 2010 @ 11:30 PM

anonymous 2

I loved the champ, I remember he went fishing with Knuckles, and when he baited his hook, Knuckles said "gee champ, you're a real master baiter", and of course "Pardon"?

January 15, 2011 @ 10:49 PM

comeoniwanttogo

I remember hearing The Champ when it first aired on the Mighty Q107.

My fav episode goes something likt this...

...some guy comes up to champ and says, "Hey Champ, I heard you had a beer with on Cherry and blue(blew) his dog". I say, PARDON?

He repeats, "I heard you had a beer with on Cherry and blue(blew) his dog"... "Well, I snap and fake him out with a Jane Fonda tape and push play, he falls for it and...

Hats off to Brother Jake Edwards for coming up with some reaally funny stuff.

April 19, 2011 @ 12:04 PM

geo

Champ and Mrs. Champ were couch shopping and negotiating over the price. The salesman says, "Hey Champ, how about you and me take Mrs. Champ out back and dicker over the couch"..."Excuse me..."? "SNAP"!!!

June 16, 2011 @ 9:08 PM

billy d

Champ is a real Ford man and they are looking to replace Mrs. Champ's car. The salesman asked if they were trading in Mrs. Champs car and Champ says yes. So the salesman looks Mrs. Champ's car over and comes back to Champ smiling and says, " Well Champ, that is a pretty clean Taurus your wife has there and I'd really like to give her the Probe. Champ says Pardon....

July 8, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

billy d

On one vacation Champ, Knuckles and Mrs. Champ go on a safari in Africa. Well they get into the jungle and the mosquitos start biting rather badly. Knuckles remembered to bring bug spray so he starts spraying everybody down. He gets to Mrs. Champ and starts spraying her back but Mrs. Champ's attention is elsewhere. Mrs. Champ turns around and Knuckles accidentally gets bug spray in Mrs. Champ's face. Knuckles apologizes to Champ and says, " I'm sorry Champ but I got Off in your wife's mouth". Champ goes, Pardon.....

July 8, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Alsie

Me(the champ) Mrs Champ and my old Uncle Jack went for a ride on horseback in the sierra's mountain range. After riding all day our old Uncle Jack had trouble getting off of his horse so the tour guide came over and asked" Hey ah, Champ, could you help Jack off the horse?

Pause~

I said "pardon?

He says Can you help Jack off the horse?

Well, I lose it..

October 16, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

Dar

Remember when Mrs. Champ was dress shopping and as The Champ waits for her to come out of the changing room the salesman comes up and says....
"Hey Champ, I think Mrs. Champ likes it in the brown..."
I says "Pardon?"

August 26, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

costanza

The Champ gets pulled over, and the cop tells him "to put his hands on the hood, and bend over while i run this in" and The Champ lost it, over reacts, snap, hit him with so many lefts hes begging for a right, in and out like a fiddlers elbow, faked him with a bucket of bird and he gobbles it like the colonel

July 29, 2013 @ 4:01 PM

matthew thomas

Where can i get audio recordings of the champ

August 6, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

cameron

The one where the champ,knuckles and his uncle. Knuckles uncle was in the war he received the purple heart. After a bit the champ had too go to the bathroom he comes out and say's "knuckles" where is your uncle? He replied he is in the bedroom I want too see him come out with his purple heart on!! "I says pardon"?

September 14, 2013 @ 9:25 PM

KALIDOR

I was fixing my roof when knuckles comes over and says "champ looks like you re-tar it", pardon "looks like you retarded !"
well snap lose it

November 9, 2013 @ 1:24 PM

Big Bobby Blonski

the one I remember laughing like crazy over was the time he went to the cabin with Knuckles. Some other campers suggested that the next time he made a fire to cover the fire wood in honey to make it smell nice. The champ did so and found the logs he covered were too big for the fire place, so he had to chop them... it was hard work because the ax was getting sticky. So Knuckles says "Hey Champ, the next time you cut a log, let me wipe your ax for you..." "I said pardon?...."

November 10, 2013 @ 11:19 PM

Dan Wood

Remember when the Champ orders take-out food and while he's at the counter the clerk asks "Hey Champ - would you like a knife and fork in the bag?" "I said pardon...?"

December 2, 2013 @ 1:35 PM

BeNellz

I'm at the bar with the guys and they know, THEY KNOW, that I only drink milk at the bar. So Knuckles comes up and asks me, "Hey Champ, what kind of milk ya drinkin, homo? I says pardon...

December 17, 2013 @ 11:59 PM

QintheMorning

Remember when Mrs. Champ and the Champ are talking about the deli down the road with really good soup. Mrs. Champ wants some chicken noodle so off the Champ goes. The phone rings while Champ is in the deli deciding what to get. The clerk says: "Hey Champ, your wife's on the phone and she says 'Hold the chicken and make it pea'". Losing it, snapping, fake with the kobassa...

Need some help with this one. Champ and the misses are staying at the cottage for the summer, so they have their mail forwarded. Mrs. Champ picks up the mail, puts it in her pocket and goes for a swim with another couple. Knuckles is on hand to tell the Champ that Mrs. Champ went for a swim, "but she said don't worry, the mail is in her pants" ...Pardon?

Good times

February 8, 2014 @ 11:38 PM

Golfbent

Knuckles stops at the post office to pick up a package for the Champ. Upon arriving at The Champs house, he finds; The Champ, Mrs Champ, and Mrs Champ's dog; Muffin in the yard. Knuckles gets down on his knees, and says "hey Champ, why don't you hold your package while I give Mrs Champ's Muffin a treat". Pardon?

August 19, 2014 @ 2:10 PM

Anonymous

I miss the champ!

August 20, 2014 @ 10:24 PM

Anonymous

Cheers to the champ! Love jose

August 22, 2014 @ 1:16 PM

Pizzaman

Champ goes to the dentist for a checkup and the dentist finds he needs a filling.
'I'm not too good with pain' says the Champ.
No worry says the dentist..and gets a needle ready.
You might feel a little prick in your mouth
I say 'Pardon'?

April 13, 2016 @ 2:55 PM

Pizzaman

'I'm not too good with pain' says the Champ.
No worry says the dentist..and gets a needle ready.
You might feel a little prick in your mouth
I say 'Pardon'?

April 13, 2016 @ 2:57 PM

Scott

Out riding donkeys on a Mexican guide retreat. The group stops for a snack break and knuckles sees the guide feeding a hotdog to Mrs Champs donkey. "Hey Champ, the guide is sticking his wiener in your wife's ass". I says pardon.

May 22, 2016 @ 2:14 PM

Scott

May 22, 2016 @ 2:14 PM

Anonymous

This one is from the early 90's when chom 97.7 in Montreal used to play it
Mrs. Champ brings an old dresser To a shop to be redone and the champ walks in and asks, "where is she?" The clerk says, "we got her out back, we stained her chest and wet her drawers"

July 26, 2016 @ 5:51 PM

James

The champ is out buying a new tv, as a sports network will be showing his greatest fights all weekend. The sales clerk says "Glad to help Champ! Nothing like sitting around and watching the old idiot box..." I said "Pardon...what did you say?"

September 5, 2016 @ 12:33 PM

Randy

Just spoke about the Champ this morning to someone who has never heard of him........Well I snap,,,, then shared a bunch of audio clip from youtube. This was one of my fav's....
Champ starting working at a law office. The lawyer says, hey champ, grab my briefs and lets get to it... Well I lose it, snap, head fake him and moron goes for it. Round house, solor plexus.

September 13, 2016 @ 8:24 AM

rtshovel

Knuckles Muldoon visits the Champ at home and sees a Mr. Potato Head on the coffee table, picks it up and says to the Champ, "mind if I rearrange your face?" BAHAHAHAHA...first one I ever heard.
92 CITI-FM Winnipeg

October 28, 2017 @ 5:37 AM

Frank

The champ, his missus and Muldoon go fishing while they were on holiday in P.E.I. Mrs. champ
gets a bite and after a bit of a fight she lands a Red Snapper. Knuckles says "That's a beautiful
snapper your missus has there champ!"...I says 'Pardon'?...I grab the tackle box and fake a hook,
and he goes for it!"

October 30, 2017 @ 12:25 PM

H.o.E.

This must go back 30 years or more. I know I remember hearing it a few times in the mid-1980s. I think the first one I heard had him telling a story to someone else about an outside-the-ring confrontation he'd had with another former boxer, and the guy listening to him asked "Did you exchange blows?"

October 30, 2017 @ 4:59 PM

Robert Cotnam

I recall one where someone was hanging a picture of the champs wife and says. I nailed your wife on the wall.

October 3, 2018 @ 1:58 PM

brett balcewich

When did " the Champ" first become an on air persona? late eighties? early nineties?

November 24, 2018 @ 2:52 AM

Oly

I worked with Bro Jake for 12 years on air from 95 ( on air Q 107 Toronto ) and 1996 - 2007 was involved in coming up with many Champ Episodes, as well as CDs and Champ Shows. I often played Knuckles Muldoon. His cast of characters were the likes of Mrs. Champ, his son The Chimp, Knuckles Muldoon, Manny The Mechanic , Old Man McGuinty, and many others

The Champ will stand the test of time ,for new generations to come. because you the audience are always in the know and the "The Champ" and his compadre are not. It's a very clever bit based on double entendre.

" Hey Champ you're so good looking you probably have to beat off a lot of jealous husbands!!

"I said Pardon" and the beat down takes place with uppercuts, left hooks, solar plexus flurries , in and out like a fiddlers elbow. Hit him so hard he just about starved doing cartwheels, lying on the ground 2 coupons shy of a toaster. Ever since he's The Champ.

Great years great fun, and I'm still in touch with Jake Edwards who is like a brother and is still in Vancouver on sports radio at TSN 1040 Saturdays at 11 am . 40 plus years on the air is Jake .

You can go online to YouTube and look up The Champ Snapper Bob and see the cartoon we made for the Fox Network

Oly Zeuch