Holiday Music

Holiday MusicEZ Rock 97.3, a horrible local radio station that promises buckets of syrop all day long, is promoting itself as Toronto's original holiday music station. They're playing nothing but Christmas carols from now through December. They're including the word "original" in their billing due to the fact other stations are following suit.

Can there possibly be a demand for 24/7 carols day after day for the next month? Do these stations intend to repeat the same 40 minutes of music over and over again? I mean, how many decent holiday songs are there? I can come up with about 15 that you could stomach more than once a year and only about five I really like.

According to CHFI, another local crap station that's promising "All Christmas music from now until Christmas", the top 10 Christmas songs are: Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney, A Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee, Do They Know It's Christmas Time - Band Aid, Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms, Last Christmas - Wham, The Christmas Song - Nat "King" Cole, Do You Hear What I Hear - Whitney Houston and White Christmas - Bing Crosby. I'm sick of them already.

Anonymous

I listen to Christmas songs every day on tape.

October 25, 2007 @ 10:24 PM

CB

I happen to enjoy the 24 hours of Christas music and I am certain I am not alone. It's only once a year.

November 8, 2007 @ 11:42 AM

Nobody

The Christmas songs were played from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the weekend. There is going to be continuous Christmas music the coming weekend, all the way to Christmas day. And, there will be one Christmas song for every three songs on the day after Christmas day.

November 19, 2007 @ 5:46 PM

Joyce

Bring on the Christmas tunes!! I love it. A little Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas. Faith Hill - Where Are You Christmas. Some strange song about wanting a hippopatamus. It's all in fun. Merry Christmas!!!!

December 3, 2007 @ 12:43 AM

Nobody

The continuous Christmas music actually started on November 30 at 5 a.m.

December 4, 2007 @ 6:26 PM

Nobody

I find Christmas songs to be fun. There are different versions of the same song. For example, the song "Home For Christmas" is sung by Daryl Hall John Oates and Take Three.

December 6, 2007 @ 7:56 PM

Nobody

The lyrics "makes you wish it was Christmas every day" and the song title "Let's Make Christmas Each Day Of The Year" reminds me that I listen to Christmas songs every day.

December 6, 2007 @ 7:58 PM

Nobody

I find Christmas songs to be fun. The Christmas songs are sung by various artists.

December 6, 2007 @ 9:21 PM

Nobody

...and EZ Rock does not play any non-Christmas songs on Christmas day.

December 15, 2007 @ 9:17 PM

Melissa

if you dont like it than just don't listen to that station. Don't complain to us about it.

December 15, 2007 @ 9:38 PM

Nobody

I plan to make about 20 Christmas tapes.

December 15, 2007 @ 9:41 PM

Nobody

I plan to make the Christmas tapes by recording the two full sides of each tape from EZ Rock.

December 15, 2007 @ 9:51 PM

Nobody

I listen to Christmas songs all year round.

January 4, 2008 @ 5:37 PM

Nobody

I can listen to Christmas music every time when I have a party.

January 8, 2008 @ 5:29 PM

Nobody

I'm fed up with the Christmas music on tape, so I decided to record something else from EZRock.

January 14, 2008 @ 9:29 PM

Nobody

I changed my mind and decided to listen to some Christmas music on YouTube rather than on tape.

January 24, 2008 @ 6:54 PM

Nobody

I love these lyrics: "I want to wish you a Merry Christmas", "Soon it will be Christmas day" and "Merry Christmas".

February 25, 2008 @ 9:59 PM

Nobody

When do you think the continuous Christmas music will begin this year?

April 14, 2008 @ 11:34 PM

Nobody

I think the station will kick off continuous Christmas music in late November and before December starts.

April 16, 2008 @ 5:36 PM

Nobody

CHFI plays Christmas music more frequently (in late November and in December only) every year as Christmas Day gets closer.

April 16, 2008 @ 8:01 PM

Anonymous

I personally look forward to it. The season is only once a year, and it is nice to have the Christmas tunes to keep you festive. I love all the songs, and I think that although many of the songs are the same lyrics they are not the same in style and that makes it different.:)

June 17, 2008 @ 4:03 PM

Leigh

It's almost Dec. I'm starting to get into the Christmas spirit,puting up the outside lights this coming week-end! Bring on the Christmas music and the Holiday cheer!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS & MERRY CHRISTMAS :)

November 13, 2008 @ 2:10 PM

Santa Claus

Mike, Mike, Mike...

Your a naughty little boy for complaining and calling this radio stations "crap" for playing Christmas music 24/7 for the next month.

Considering that it is only once a year and actually helps people look forward to such a special time. You really have nothing to complain about.

There are plenty of other radio stations that actually play real "crap" or apparently your type of music. So you are welcome to turn the knob that way.

So please stop being such a Scrooge and try and be a nicer boy between now and Christmas, otherwise Santa will not visit you this year. Ho..Ho...Ho

November 14, 2008 @ 8:14 AM

ME

WHEN are they going to start this year? I was excited last weekend I found all Christmas for 2 days - but can't find the 24/7 station yet...MIKE don't you know there is a cult like following of the Christmas spirit - I'm the lead cheer elf.

November 23, 2008 @ 3:52 PM

Dannie

i cant wait to hear all the christmas music
please dont let the scrooges stop you from playing them for the holidays.
Its once a year, is it that bad to have a month or so of xmas music??????if u dont like it then dont turn it on!SIMPLE AS THAT..DEAL WITH IT!

November 25, 2008 @ 12:47 PM

Me

You're a goof... Merry Christmas to you too.... deal with it! It's all about getting into the spirit of things..

November 27, 2008 @ 8:48 PM

Eager Listener

I thought they started on December 1st, but I haven't heard a Christmas tune yet! Are they still doing the 24/7 X-Mas tunes this year?

December 1, 2008 @ 8:48 AM

Jules

My problem is not that the stations are playing the Christmas music but that they start too early and end too early. Christmas officially ends on Old Christmas Day which is January 6th. I would LOVE to see the stations NOT start playing Christmas Music in NOV (which is too early) and play it through until old Christmas Day (Jan 6) instead of packing up Christmas the minute Dec 25th passes by. (This seems to be a running theme - pack Christmas music/decorations up on Dec 26th and SOOOO annoying.) Stop celebrating Christmas in November and celebrate it when it is meant to be celebrated - Dec 24th - Jan 6th. I don't have an issue with getting things organized early (start of Dec is fine) but decorating right after Halloween should be banned!

December 3, 2008 @ 1:02 PM

Anonymous

Immediately when December started, there's one Christmas song for every three songs. This is supposedly the first year EZRock played some
NON-Christmas songs into December.

December 3, 2008 @ 5:34 PM

Anonymous

Last year, EZRock started played continuous Christmas music on Nov. 30th.

December 3, 2008 @ 5:36 PM

Anonymous

Sorry for the bad grammar structure in my last post. It was a typo. The sentence should be "started playing..."

December 3, 2008 @ 6:32 PM

Anonymous

I know three years when EZRock started playing continuous Christmas music: In 2005, it was Nov. 18 in the evening; in 2006, it was Nov. 24 in the evening and in 2007, Nov. 30 in the morning.

December 6, 2008 @ 8:33 PM

Anonymous

It's another new week. There's more Christmas music: one Christmas song every two songs. In other words, now half the music is Christmas music.

December 8, 2008 @ 7:01 PM

Anonymous

Starting next week, there will be Christmas music 24 hours a day through the 25th.

December 10, 2008 @ 4:57 PM

Anonymous

I agree with what Jules said-I'd really love EZ Rock to keep playing Christmas music for a few days after Christmas (and it also drives me crazy having Christmas things out in November! Dec. 1st is when everything starts for me). Last year I think they only had Christmas music in the morning on Christmas Day! I couldn't believe it!
I was surprised by the way they're doing it this year, but to be honest I kind of like it, playing some Christmas songs and some regular ones. Don't get me wrong, I love listening to Christmas music on the radio. I often have it playing around the house, and it's something I always look forward to. Sometimes though, by the week before Christmas, I get tired of the songs being played over and over again. This year seems to be a good compromise.

December 11, 2008 @ 3:47 AM

Anonymous

Actually, starting tomorrow night there will be Christmas music 24 hours a day through the 25th.

December 11, 2008 @ 4:48 PM

Anonymous

And, the coming two weekends, there will be no Studio 97 and Sunday Morning Brunch.

December 11, 2008 @ 4:50 PM

Anonymous

Actually, I was wrong. I thought there would be no Studio 97 and the Sunday Morning Brunch. EZRock is now playing continuous Christmas music, however, there is Studio 97 and the Sunday Morning Brunch.

December 13, 2008 @ 6:41 PM

Anonymous

Unfortunately, I'm wrong again. There was no Sunday Morning Brunch.

December 14, 2008 @ 5:17 PM

Anonymous

I was right for the first time when I said, "The coming two weekends, there will be no Studio 97 and Sunday Morning Brunch."

December 20, 2008 @ 8:14 PM

Anonymous

EZ Rock is playing continuous Christmas music through the 25th, however, Christmas music is still mixed on the day after.

December 20, 2008 @ 8:16 PM

Anonymous

Anybody who doesn't like Xmas music can click on Listen To EZ Rock Christmas Channel hyperlink and then click on Christmas Free Radio on www.ezrock.com.

December 21, 2008 @ 5:58 PM

Anonymous

Here is the answer for you, ME. To answer your question, the 24/7 Christmas music officially started on Dec. 12 at 9 p.m.

December 22, 2008 @ 6:14 PM

Anonymous

Eager Listener, EZ Rock does the 24/7 X-Mas tunes every year during the Christmas season.

December 22, 2008 @ 6:20 PM

Anonymous

The US Stations for soft rock and light music and the Buffalo music station, Star 102.5, plays continuous Christmas music in November. It drives me crazy, too.

December 23, 2008 @ 5:21 PM

Anonymous

P.S. EZ Rock seemed to be Christmas Music free for the very first two hours of December, thanks to the Delilah show.

December 26, 2008 @ 7:57 PM

Anonymous

Even CHUM FM stopped playing Christmas songs on Christmas day at noon.

December 26, 2008 @ 7:59 PM

Anonymous

...and EZ Rock does not play any non-Christmas songs on Christmas day. Fortunately, EZ Rock plays back regular songs the day after (Dec. 26), and the day after that (Dec. 27), the Christmas music is gone.

January 2, 2009 @ 5:51 PM

Anonymous

The US Stations for soft rock and light music and the Buffalo music station, Star 102.5, plays continuous Christmas music in November, featuring a good month of continuous Xmas music. It drives me crazy, too.

January 2, 2009 @ 5:52 PM

Anonymous

I almost forgot one important part. When December started, there was 100% Christmas music on the Delilah show.

January 2, 2009 @ 5:58 PM

Anonymous

EZ Rock was Christmas music free in November, except for the Starbucks Holiday pick-me-up, the final weekend in the afternoon (29th and 30th) when there was one or two Christmas songs per hour, and, of course, the Santa Claus Parade (Sunday in the afternoon).

January 2, 2009 @ 8:40 PM

Anonymous

102.3 Clear FM, the Winnipeg Station and 102.9 K-Lite FM, Hamilton, played 100% Christmas music at the weekends during the Christmas season.

January 2, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

Anonymous

...so I believe the reason there were some non-Christmas songs into December is that they couldn't find the 24/7 station. Of course, there was 100% Christmas music with Delilah every night in December right up to the big day. Continuous Christmas music finally started immediately when Dec. 13 began.

January 20, 2009 @ 8:24 PM

Anonymous

The Starbucks Holiday Pick-Me-Up was available every weekday at the 10 a.m. hour and the 2 p.m. hour from the Santa Claus Parade to Christmas day.

January 21, 2009 @ 9:18 PM

Anonymous

And there was a scant two weeks of continuous Christmas music on the radio.

January 29, 2009 @ 5:54 PM

Anonymous

So, I say that the Christmas season is from Dec. 1 to Dec. 25 inclusive.

February 19, 2009 @ 5:49 PM

Me

I happen to like Christmas music! Its my favourite holiday and its only once a year! It helps me get into the Christmas spirit and I listen to those stations that play 100% Christmas music! GO CHRISTMAS

April 25, 2009 @ 6:36 PM

Anonymous

Actually, they intended to switch to 100% Christmas music immediately when Dec. 1 started, but it took some time before they succeed in switching to continuous Christmas music.

April 26, 2009 @ 6:05 PM

Anonymous

The Buffalo music station, Star 102.5, immediately switches to 100% Christmas music around halfway in November (putatively the Santa Claus Parade weekend). This is another example of a station following suit.

April 26, 2009 @ 6:11 PM

Anonymous

EZRock always plays continuous Christmas music for a period of time, usually in late November through December 25 inclusive. However, Christmas music is still mixed on (and only on) the day after.

April 26, 2009 @ 6:15 PM

Anonymous

EZRock suddenly switched to 24/7 Christmas music in 2005. (It did so by November 19.) It was uncomparably earlier than the recent year. I believe there was a Christmas creep in 2005.

April 26, 2009 @ 6:23 PM

Anonymous

The week just before continuous Christmas music started, it was all Christmas songs on "My Three Songs" and one Christmas song every two or three songs.

April 26, 2009 @ 9:39 PM

Anonymous

So, every time the station cannot play a Christmas song during the Christmas season, it played a regular song .

July 12, 2009 @ 5:24 PM

Anonymous

So, the Delilah show starts one hour later, therefore, it ends at 3 a.m. If the station were to start playing Christmas songs immediately when December starts, the station will seem to be free of Christmas music for the very first three hours (of December.)

August 6, 2009 @ 6:35 PM

Anonymous

Some people recommend a "composise", where Christmas music will be played just for one show every day during the Christmas season. While this may initially sound appealing, it is not a good solution. We would want to have a Christmas song played every few songs or continuous Christmas music to be festive.

October 24, 2009 @ 9:37 PM

Anonymous

I mean, "just for one show" = the show is the Night is EZ, namely, the Delilah show. During the Christmas season when we see decorations and do Christmas shopping, we want to have a Christmas song played every few songs or continuous Christmas music to be festive.

October 24, 2009 @ 9:44 PM

Anonymous

I think you have no right to complain. If you personally don't enjoy being festive or listening to Christmas music change the station. All you do is complain and considering the fact that I personally want them to begin playing Christmas music in now, rather than later. So stop being a cold hearted scrooge and lighten up for a change.

November 21, 2009 @ 8:37 AM

Shelley

You do have a right to your opinion and are welcome to share it. I simply wish that you'd learn how to spell. If you are going to blog, please run your posts through spell check prior to posting. Your horrible spelling reflects poorly on your ability to communicate and makes your opinion less valued.

November 23, 2009 @ 11:24 AM

Lucy

I Love Christmas Music!!
It brightens up my day and prepares me for this festive season. Its once a year, so everyone enjoy. I agree with the previous blogger, if you do not like it change the station.

November 25, 2009 @ 1:56 PM

Lucy

I Love Christmas Music!!

November 25, 2009 @ 1:57 PM

YEG Girl

Maybe you should try syrup intead of syrop, might help you enjoy Christmas carols.

November 27, 2009 @ 8:31 AM

Anonymous

LOVE CHRISTMAS MUSIC; JUST DON'T OVERPLAY IT.

July 4, 2010 @ 8:55 PM

X-MAS FAN!!!

Since EZ rock is now Boom 97.3, are they going to bring back the 24/7 Christmas music later this month? If not, is there another station that will be doing it because I'm looking forward to hearing some music soon as we start to decorate at home, etc.

November 13, 2010 @ 11:09 AM

JJ

Hey Scrooge - Christmas comes once a year. Don't be such a fucking Grinch and embrace the season. If you don't like all-day Christmas songs, change the channel.

November 28, 2010 @ 11:55 AM

I just talked to Humble...

Boom won't go all Christmas music this year. They'll play some Christmas music every day until Christmas, but not exclusively.

November 28, 2010 @ 11:59 AM

Sick of Xmas

I've heard it said above, "if you don't like it, change the station" hmmm, what if I'm stuck at work with a Christmas Elf for a boss who INSISTS we listen to CHFI? I'm about ready to hang myself, or her, with some tinsel! There just are NOT enough Xmas songs to play them 24/7 for a full MONTH! When WILL these "holly jolly" radio stations clue in and stop torturing us???

December 14, 2010 @ 7:44 AM

Nobody

I wish they'd play it earlier like starting november first! I am 13 and love listening to christmas music. If you don't like it, listen to one of the many other stations that don't enjoy the holiday season.

November 1, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

Proud Canadian

Good for you, lots of comments about Christmas music. Who would have thought?
Love Bob and Doug MacKenzie's 12 Days of Christmas. Fun stuff the kids love too. Sorry if you don't agree but this idea was a great idea and continues through 2012! God bless you, one and all.

November 19, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

No Name

I happen to enjoy it, at least there is christmas tunes in one radio station, rather than the noise that we call music on 99.9 or 104.5, the only radio station i listen to during the year kx96 new country, but I love hearing the christmas msuic during the holidays!

December 6, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

John M

Great list! I love non-traditional Christmas music. Here's a playlist of some lesser-known Christmas songs: https://open.spotify.com/user/qaz23/playlist/22Hs4AlaOFExwI0cOEBHSj

December 24, 2016 @ 4:53 AM