SLS ~ Smells Like Sour
I'm submitting a song for SLS20 consideration. I'm submitting "Bitches In Tokyo" by Stars.
It's funny, but SLS19 was put to bed without a single female voice. Here's one that looks good for SLS20. It's a great tune and a fun little vid.
Now that SLS19 is in the bag, it's time to deconstruct the 20 tunes that made the final cut. How much of SLS19 is CanCon? How many artists are making their first appearance on SLS? Find out the answers to these questions and more below.
- Canadian Content - 7 (USS, City and Colour, Tokyo Police Club, The Flatliners, The Weakerthans, Sam Roberts and Bedouin Soundclash)
- Making Their SLS Debut - 8 (The Black Keys, USS, MGMT, The Flatliners, The Bravery, My Morning Jacket, Foxboro Hot Tubs and Bedouin Soundclash)
- Artists That Also Appeared On SLS18 - 5 (Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, Serj Tankian and The Weakerthans)
- Providing a Female Voice - 0
- Longest Current SLS Streak - 3 (Queens of the Stone Age)
- Longest SLS Drought Ended - 8 (The Offspring)
We listened to hours and hours of new rock before deciding upon these 20 tracks. Without further ado, I give you SLS19.
- The Black Keys - Strange Times
- The Raconteurs - Salute Your Solution
- Radiohead - Jigsaw Falling Into Place
- Queens of the Stone Age - Make It Wit Chu
- USS - Hollowpoint Sniper Hyperbole
- Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart
- City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
- Tokyo Police Club - Tessellate
- MGMT - Time To Pretend
- The Flatliners - This Respirator
- The Weakerthans - Tournament of Hearts
- Weezer - Pork and Beans
- The Bravery - Believe
- Sam Roberts - Them Kids
- Foo Fighters - Long Way To Ruin
- Serj Tankian - Sky Is Over
- My Morning Jacket - I'm Amazed
- Foxboro Hot Tubs - Mother Mary
- Bedouin Soundclash - St. Andrews
- The Offspring - Hammerhead
I just updated The Complete SLS Database. Look for SLS20 in late December, 2008.
I'm submitting a song for SLS19 consideration. I'm submitting "Hammerhead" by The Offspring.
I used to have a lot of respect for The Offspring. I must have spun their disc "Smash" a billion times. "Ixnay On The Hombre" was pretty good too, and then they released the song that killed The Offspring in my eyes. "Pretty Fly For A White Guy". Argh, thinking about that sell-out of a garbage tune makes me want to puke.
This latest track from The Offspring is actually pretty good. It's on ultra high rotation on all rock stations so if you want to hear it just tune in for 20 minutes and you might hear it twice!
I'm submitting a song for SLS19 consideration. I'm submitting "I'm Amazed" by My Morning Jacket.
A couple of years ago I saw My Morning Jacket open for Pearl Jam on back-to-back nights. By the end of their second show, I was totally digging their sound. I dove into It Still Moves and Z and loved them both.
This is their new single from their new album, Evil Urges.
I'm submitting a song for SLS19 consideration. I'm submitting "Time To Pretend" by MGMT.
There is an official video for this song and it's all over YouTube, but each instance of the vid has embedding disabled by request. I've never understood "embedding disabled by request". Isn't the objective to have people watch your video? If you let blogs like this embed your video, doesn't that ensure more people see what is essentially an ad for the album and band?
I couldn't embed the official "ad" so here's a fan-made clip of the song over nice BBC footage of nature. Take that, MGMT's management.
I'm submitting a song for SLS19 consideration. I'm submitting "Tessellate" by Tokyo Police Club.
I don't think it's as good as "Nature of the Experiment", but "Tessellate" grew on me. They got bonus points for being from from Newmarket, Ontario, but they didn't need 'em. These guys are gonna be big.
I'm submitting a song for SLS19 consideration. I'm submitting "Sleeping Sickness" by City and Colour with special guest Gord Downie.
I've written quite a bit about this song, but I've never officially submitted it for SLS consideration. Now, it's official. There's no official video yet, but you can hear this sweet song by clicking play below.
I'm submitting a song for SLS19 consideration. I'm submitting "This Respirator" by The Flatliners.
Is it wrong to favour local talent? Sometimes I'll hear a song and dig it, but when I find out the band is from Mississauga or Burlington or Newmarket or wherever, I'll dig it just a little more. "This Respirator" is a cool new tune from The Flatliners and these guys are from Richmond Hill and Brampton. Ya gotta love it.
I'm submitting a song for SLS19 consideration. I'm submitting "I Will Possess Your Heart" by Death Cab For Cutie.
It's 8:31, pretty lengthy for a tune these days, but the first 4:40 are just to warm you up. The first time I heard this new DCFC song, I wasn't sure. But after a few listens, I'd lovin' it. If this song makes the cut, it will be their 3rd appearance on SLS.
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25 Next
Want more Toronto Mike blog entries? Visit the archives.