SLS ~ Smells Like Sour
I'm submitting a song for SLS22 consideration. I'm submitting "The Fixer" by Pearl Jam.
This catchy mofo from one of my favourite bands is a shoe-in for SLS, but I've got more pressing PJ issues to iron out.
As documented on my Pearl Jam in Toronto page, I've caught a Pearl Jam show the last 6 times they've come through town. And yes, I'm counting the '98 show in Barrie as a local performance. That means I haven't missed a Toronto Pearl Jam gig since September '96.
I didn't buy a ticket for the upcoming show at the Amphitheatre, as I had a hook-up. When Yoda chose John Mellancamp over Eddie, a second hook-up materialized and I was set. Now, it's looking like that one will fall through as well.
Is there a third hook-up possibility out there?
I'm submitting a song for SLS22 consideration. I'm submitting "The Ballad of Hugo Chavez" by Arkells.
It's not as good as Oh, The Boss is Coming! (a song that begs and gets a sing-along with every spin) but it's a solid single from a band we all want to like. They're from Hamilton, for goodness sake.
I'm submitting a song for SLS22 consideration. I'm submitting "Young Cardinals" by Alexisonfire.
I meant to submit this new single from Alexisonfire after Edgefest, but I totally forgot.
I think this is a solid single from this St. Catherines band. It's a nice blend of their hard rock with a little Dallas Green melody to give it a hook. When "Young Cardinals" makes the cut, it will be the third song to make it from Alexisonfire, joining "This Could Be Anywhere In The World" and "Boiled Frogs".
And check out the Niagara Falls video!
I'm submitting a song for SLS22 consideration. I'm submitting "Crying Lightning" by Arctic Monkeys.
Mississauga Mike wrote me about this new single from the Arctic Monkeys new album Humbug, due out August 25. "It certainly grew on me and you can smell the Josh Homme (QOTSA) production on it, check it out!"
Nice recommendation, Mississauga Mike. I dig it.
I'm submitting a song for SLS22 consideration. I'm submitting "Treat Me Like Your Mother" by The Dead Weather.
The Dead Weather is a supergroup. It's comprised of vocalist Alison Mosshart (of The Kills), drummer and vocalist Jack White (of The White Stripes and The Raconteurs), guitarist Dean Fertita (of Queens of the Stone Age) and bassist Jack Lawrence (of The Raconteurs and The Greenhornes).
Check out this single before Warner Music Group pulls the vid. Heaven forbid we promote a band's video!
I'm submitting a song for SLS22 consideration. I'm submitting "I'm With You" by The Stills.
I actually thought I had put this single from The Stills on SLS21, but apparently I didn't. That's why pencils have erasers, so I'm getting this catchy tune on SLS22.
I saw these guys recently at Edgefest and they were great.
I'm submitting a song for SLS22 consideration. I'm submitting "21 Guns" by Green Day.
Green Day's "Know Your Enemy" was noticeably absent from the recently unveiled SLS21. I didn't mind it, but I thought it was a little too "American Idiot" and I know these guys can do better. "21 Guns" is a great deal better.
Although I won't see it for a year, I hear this song is prominently featured in the critically lambasted Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
Now that SLS21 is in the bag, it's time to deconstruct the 20 tunes that made the final cut. How much of SLS21 is CanCon? How many artists are making their first appearance on SLS? Find out the answers to these questions and more below.
- Canadian Content - 10 (Arkells, Billy Talent, City and Colour, k-os, Metric, Mother Mother, Sam Roberts, Tokyo Police Club, The Tragically Hip, USS)
- Making Their SLS Debut - 5 (Arkells, Cage the Elephant, Eagles of Death Metal, Mother Mother, Spinnerette)
- Artists That Also Appeared On SLS20 - 7 (Billy Talent, Kings of Leon, Metric, Sam Roberts, Tokyo Police Club, USS, Weezer)
- Providing a Female Voice - 3 (Metric, Spinerette, Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
- Longest Current SLS Streak - 3 (Sam Roberts, Tokyo Police Club, USS, Weezer)
- Longest SLS Drought Ended - 6 (Franz Ferdinand, Pearl Jam)
We listened to hours and hours of new rock before deciding upon these 20 tracks. Without further ado, I give you SLS21.
- Arkells - Oh, The Boss is Coming!
- Billy Talent - Rusted From The Rain
- Cage the Elephant - Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
- City and Colour - The Girl
- Eagles of Death Metal - Wannabe in LA
- Franz Ferdinand - Ulysses
- Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody
- k-os - Burning Bridges
- Metric - Gimme Sympathy
- Mother Mother - Body of Years
- Pearl Jam - Brother
- Sam Roberts - Fixed to Ruin
- Silversun Pickups - Panic Switch
- Spinnerette - Ghetto Love
- The Raconteurs - Consoler Of The Lonely
- Tokyo Police Club - Your English Is Good
- Tragically Hip - Love is a First
- Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker - Laces Out
- Weezer - The Greatest Man That Ever Lived (Variations on a Shaker Hymn)
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero
I just updated The Complete SLS Database. Look for SLS22 in late December, 2009.
I'm submitting a song for SLS21 consideration. I'm submitting "Rusted From The Rain" by Billy Talent.
We've been hearing Billy Talent on the radio for six years now, so maybe it's time I get over the fact they bastardized the spelling of Billy Tallent.
This is a nice single from this Streetsville band. I'm seeing them on Saturday.
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25 Next
Want more Toronto Mike blog entries? Visit the archives.