SLS ~ Smells Like Sour
I just submitted a song for SLS18 consideration. I submitted "Civil Twilight" by The Weakerthans.
I'm seriously digging this tune. I caught The Weakerthans at Fort York when they opened for The Hip and I thought they were pretty damn good. "Civil Twilight" appeals to my sensibilities. Have a listen for yourself.
I just submitted a song for SLS18 consideration. I submitted "Thrash Unreal" by Against Me!. We can't forget that exclamation mark, it's very important. Just ask Yahoo!.
When I hear this song I always think the lyrics should be far more clever than they are. It's written at a fourth grade level, so I feel bad for digging it. It is what it is and I think it's at least worthy of SLS consideration. Have a listen for yourself.
I just submitted a song for SLS18 consideration. I submitted "Young Leaves" by Attack in Black.
I wasn't sure about this tune at first, but I now think it's at least worthy of consideration. It sounds an awful lot like late 90s Goldfinger to my ears with a tinge of "Flagpole Sitta", but that's not necessarily a bad thing. And besides, these cats are from Welland, Ontario, and that's good for bonus points.
I just submitted a song for SLS18 consideration. I submitted The White Stripes' "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)".
This was a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. I recently referred to The White Stripes as the best band of the past decade. This is yet another bluesy romp to hit heaven and most definitely SLS worthy.
Here's the video.
Discuss "The White Stripes' You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)" (2 comments so far)
With great power comes great responsibility and I don't want to let down the esteemed SLS franchise. The 18th instalment of SLS is being put together over the next four months and I've got a backlog of songs that demand consideration. Here are three:
- Velvet Revolver - The Last Fight
- Foo Fighters - The Pretender
- Queens of the Stone Age - 3's & 7's
I'm going to share "The Last Fight" from Velvet Revolver because I can't get enough of it these days. This is what Velvet Revolver should be, and if they were more like this, I'd stop slagging them.
I just submitted a song for SLS18 consideration. I submitted Linkin Park's "Bleed It Out".
Linkin Park is a band I don't think I should like, but I always end up liking. Every album is good for two or three awesome singles and "Bleed It Out" is an awesome single.
The video hasn't yet been released, but here's an uncensored version of the song complete with subtitles. For better or for worse, my ears dig it.
On another beautiful Saturday afternoon in Toronto I'm thinking about late December when the 18th instalment of SLS will be unveiled. Here are a few songs I've recently submitted for consideration.
- Matthew Good - Born Losers
- Interpol - The Heinrich Maneuver
- illScarlett - Nothing Special
Here's the video for Interpol's The Heinrich Maneuver which is pretty cool because it's really only a few seconds of footage dragged out over 3:28. Why didn't I think of that?
Now that SLS17 is in the bag, it's time to deconstruct the 20 tunes that made the final cut. How much of SLS17 is CanCon? How many artists are making their first appearance on SLS? Find out the answers to these questions and more below.
- Canadian Content - 6 (AlexisOnFire, Arcade Fire, Billy Talent, illScarlett, Sam Roberts & Tokyo Police Club)
- Making Their SLS Debut - 6 (Fallout Boy, The Fratellis, Peter Bjorn & John, The Shins, Silversun Pickups & Tokyo Police Club)
- Artists That Also Appeared On SLS16 - 5 (AlexisOnFire, Arctic Monkeys, Billy Talent, IllScarlett, & Sam Roberts)
- Providing a Female Voice - 2 (Tokyo Police Club & Peter Bjorn & John)
- Longest Current SLS Streak - 3 (Arctic Monkeys & Billy Talent)
- Longest SLS Drought Ended - 14 (Chris Cornell)
We listened to hours and hours of new rock before deciding upon these 20 tracks. Without further ado, I give you SLS17.
- The White Stripes - Icky Thump
- Arcade Fire - Keep the Car Running
- Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye
- Tokyo Police Club - Nature of the Experiment
- The Fratellis - Flathead
- Peter Bjorn & John - Young Folks
- Queens of the Stone Age - Sick, Sick, Sick
- Arctic Monkeys - Brianstorm
- Modest Mouse - Dashboard
- Fallout Boy - This Ain't A Scene
- The Shins - Phantom Limb
- illScarlett - One-A
- Sam Roberts - With A Bullet
- Chris Cornell - Billy Jean
- Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby
- Linkin Park - What I've Done
- Billy Talent - Fallen Leaves
- Smashing Pumpkins - Tarantula
- Incubus - Anna Molly
- Alexisonfire - Boiled Frogs
I just updated The Complete SLS Database. Look for SLS18 in late December, 2007.
Here's an update as to where we're at with SLS17.
I've put together a list of the 20 songs I think should comprise SLS17. They're now with Mark who will either bless the collection or counter offer with a modified playlist. Then, the negotiations begin.
Hang on SLS fans. The official lineup should be unveiled soon.
Previous 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25 Next
Want more Toronto Mike blog entries? Visit the archives.