Rob Ford Watch
If you Google the name Rob Ford, my collection of Rob Ford quotes is on the first page of results. Rob Ford, for those of you who don't follow the exciting world of Toronto municipal politics, is a city councillor who represents Ward 2 in Etobicoke North.
I'm not a Rob Ford fan, as you might have gathered from that entry, but I dislike the optics of what's happening to him at City Hall. Ford makes a lot of noise about not spending a penny of his allotted $53,000 office budget. That's his schtick. He pays his office expenses out of his own pocket and that goes against the city's ethics rules. "You don't spend private money, or developers' money, or anybody else's money on things like your newsletters. You spend the public money because there's an audit trail, it's accountable," said Mayor David Miller.
Ford was formally reprimanded by the city's executive committee and they'll decide on his punishment December 12. I totally get why Ford is in the wrong here, and as a human being, I'm not eager to defend him, but the optics here stink. It just makes Miller and his cronies appear petty and brings more attention to Ford and his hot air.
They're playing into Ford's hands and he's loving every minute of it. Of all the battles that need to be fought, this is one Miller should have taken a pass on.
I've commented before on the stupid things Rob Ford says. He's a city councillor for Etobicoke North who says some awfully dumb stuff, but his quote in yesterday's Star may just be his most moronic statement to date.
I can't support bike lanes. Roads are built for buses, cars, and trucks. My heart bleeds when someone gets killed, but it's their own fault at the end of the day.
There are so many things wrong with that statement, I don't know where to begin. Perhaps I'll refrain from further comment and let Rob Ford's words echo alone.
Rob Ford is a city councillor for Etobicoke North and he says some awfully stupid things. In case you've forgotten, here's a collection of Ford quotes from the past few years.
- "This is an insult to my constituents to even think about having a shelter in my ward!" - April, 2002
- "I know he's a weasel and weasels and snakes belong in the zoo. I'm not letting this go. He did it out of spite". - February, 2003
- "It just makes me sick when you left-wing nut jobs like Howard Moscoe are down here trying to bash the police non-stop." - February, 2003
- "To me, if you are going to water plants, water all the plants. You don't just pick and choose which plants you've got to water." - April, 2004
- "Pathological liars." - June, 2004
- "This is so foolish. What are we going to ban next? Fireplaces?" - September, 2004
- "I don't understand. Number one, I don't understand a transgender, I don't understand, is it a guy dressed up like a girl or a girl dressed up like a guy? And we're funding this for, I don't know, what does it say here? We're giving them $3,210?" - June 2005
- "People do not want government housing built in the city of Toronto. They want roads fixed, more police presence, but they don't want more government housing that will depreciate the value of their property." - July, 2005
- "She's a joke. She's a waste of time. A waste of skin." - July, 2005
- "Giving the mayor more power for this council is like giving criminals free guns." - December, 2005
Ford was in the news last week for initially denying he was "belligerent and obscene" at a Leafs game on Easter weekend and then coming clean. Maybe Gloria Lindsay Luby isn't the waste of skin at city hall?
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Want more Toronto Mike blog entries? Visit the archives.