Full Unedited Interview with CityNews vs. What They Aired

Yesterday was a long, interesting day. After I got the kids up and off to summer camp and daycare, I recorded an episode of Hebsy on Sports with Mark Hebscher before biking to meet a client at Bay and Front, visiting Kevin Frankish at his uptown apartment, grabbing a drink with my wife and checking out the Jays at the dome. On my way to the dome I was pulled over, so to speak, by a reporter with CityNews.

Here's the footage that aired on the 6pm and 11pm news yesterday.

An insider at CityNews shared with me the full raw footage of my interaction with the reporter. I thought it might be interesting to share what made the news with what they had to work with. Please note, I never really knew what I was supposed to focus on in the video they showed me, and it wasn't until I got home at 10:45pm that I finally saw the cyclist dragging the poor guy to the ground.

Greg

Good interview. When is Erica Natividad coming on Toronto Mike'd?

July 6, 2019 @ 12:24 PM

anon

Good Job Mike. At least they stopped someone with cycling intelligence. Biking all year round gives you creds. You know what it takes to do that.

But be careful with the media, they twist your words with their agenda. A cyclist supporting another cyclist, regardless, is inflaming to others.

July 6, 2019 @ 3:27 PM

Toronto Joey

Now I really want your autograph!
And some Palma Pasta.

July 6, 2019 @ 9:33 PM

Axll33

You should have unequivocally called out the cyclists violent actions.
You admitted that you do not always obey traffic signs only when you have to.All of us who cycle and drive must respect lights and signs.Thanks for wearing a helmet they should be mandatory for everyone if I catch my grandkids without one I lock up there bikes.

July 6, 2019 @ 10:40 PM

@Axll33

I didn't even see the video properly until I got home last night.

When I'm in areas without much traffic, I practice the Idaho Stop. Red lights become stop signs and stop signs become yield signs.

July 6, 2019 @ 10:45 PM

@Greg

Is that her name. I haven't watched CityNews in quite some time...

July 6, 2019 @ 10:45 PM

Sumguy

Well handled. The media unfortunately just helps enflame the road rage between cars, bikes and pedestrians. All are responsible and lacking in consideration and courtesy to there others. It might be time to revisit and implement road safety and traffic sign education for cars and cyclists, and fine pedestrians who cross the streets looking at their phones.

July 7, 2019 @ 3:19 PM

Axll33

Maybe you are responsible with your "Idaho" stop but most cyclists are not.When I am on the road biking I always always obey lights and signs.But you should be calling out this guy for the violence there is no excuse.

July 7, 2019 @ 8:58 PM

Beatts

Can we set up a go fund me to get you a properly fitted helmet ?

July 8, 2019 @ 8:21 AM

@Beatts

It's a one size fits all!

July 8, 2019 @ 8:31 AM

@Axll33

As I said, I didn't even know what I was supposed to see in this grainy zapruder film. When she asked me if the cyclist went too far by getting physical with the guy I said "you can't do that" right away.

Heck, I watched the entire news segment and still don't know what was going on in that video. It's just some guy assaulting another guy.

July 8, 2019 @ 8:54 AM

James Edgar

Well said Mike. I thought you did Great in the spur of the moment i probably would have just fallen off my bike on the first question.

I've only seen the assault part of the video so i can't comment on who was in the wrong . But Like you said you can't do that when i saw the confrontation.

When i rode a bicycle nearly as much as you i rode downtown all the time. I Never got in confrontations with drivers It's just not worth it. I do the same on my Motorcycle , (Ok i do occasionally show a finger to the real donkeys but seeing as my bike accelerates like a Porsche 911 I'm relatively safe doing that. )

Among Motorcyclists we have a saying: "Ride like the drivers are trying to kill you" I think that's probably appropriate for cyclists as well .

July 8, 2019 @ 11:47 AM

elvis

Clip in man!

July 9, 2019 @ 11:19 PM

Borik

Honestly CityNews is trash. It’s tabloid news. They edit and make up news. City is 4th or 5th in general ratings. Im so happy that Bell has focused on CP24 breakfast cause BT was going down hill and City doesn’t really know what “news” really is

July 13, 2019 @ 2:21 AM