Win It For (Part II)

This is part two.

Part one is here.

Win it for me. I was so excited to witness the birth of a franchise, I recorded that first game against the Nets to VHS. I have Alvin Robertson’s name tattooed on my cranium. I’ve wanted this moment for 24 long years.

Win it for every one of us who watched a Raps game at the cavernous dome. It was an awful team, and a terrible basketball venue, but basketball had arrived in Toronto and we were going to be there through thick and thin.

Win it for Leo, who always wanted to play for the home team that was born too late. He’s been a key part of broadcasts since day one and was at my door bright and early on a holiday Monday after a double overtime win.

Win it for Mike Kic. He was the biggest Raps fan I knew, and he left the party far too soon. He’d be going bananas right now.

Win it for Canada. We The North is more than a clever marketing slogan, it’s a statement of unity. Millions across this nation are tuning in to watch Toronto vs. everybody. O Canada!

Win it for Toronto. I love this city, so diverse and full of love. We long suffering sports fans deserve to party like it’s 1993.

Win it for James. I rarely see him without his Kawhi jersey these days and every time I tell a new Raps fan I was watching in the preseason, he reminds me he watched summer league. James only passionately loves two teams and this means the world to my boy. Most of all, win it for him.

Kic would be going bananas right now

mrmojorisinca

Go Raptors Go!

June 10, 2019 @ 9:22 AM

Urooj Islam

Win it for all the bandwagon fans, win it for the insecure old hockey media in the city who reveled in the Raptors' struggles over the years and hoped they would be moved, win it for hockey pucks whose sports status quo was threatened by the emergence of basketball, win it for all the phonies.

June 10, 2019 @ 5:07 PM

chris

Win it for Cheryl.

June 10, 2019 @ 7:45 PM

Urooj Islam

Win it for the people who cheer for injuries.

June 10, 2019 @ 10:40 PM

Rick

@Urooj - ouch. But yeah - that was disappointing.

June 11, 2019 @ 7:51 AM

James Edgar

@Urooj @Rick way more than disappointing. Utter bullshit.

@Urooj I fully admit to jumping on the bandwagon and I'm totally cool with that even if you aren't .Not a hockey puck per say even if i'd place the Leafs above the Raptors as my favourite Toronto Team . And have never wanted anything but the best for the Raptors.
But i got turned off basketball a long time ago for a couple of reasons.
1. I suck at basketball . I mean embarrass myself and anyone who's playing with or against or watching suck. So not that interesting .
2. I was at one of Vince Carters last games and they lost 84-54 or something and honestly the effort put out was so pathetic i swore i'd never watch again.
3. Fear of disappointment. Toronto teams have had a habit of doing that the last few years and i find it so annoying that I'm afraid to get to involved.

I've been to one game since and have now watched about 30 on TV. My experience has been so much better I'm definitely becoming a fan. And even sort of starting to understand a few of the Subtleties. I've watched all of these finals games and I'm enjoying it immensely and even if it ends up without a championship i don't think i'll be too unhappy.

Another reason I'm a bandwagon jumper is that i don't really love any sports besides Motorcycle racing ( I used to love F1 too but sadly it's going downhill so fast it's pathetic) which is 1000% more interesting than any team sport could ever be. MOTOGP are in Spain this weekend BTW.

June 11, 2019 @ 8:47 AM

jj

James Edgar - I am a total bandwagoner and just became a more interested fan in 2016! Don't even know half the rules, but love following the team all the same. Personally I am more happy for long time fans who have been with the team from Day 1.

June 11, 2019 @ 9:10 AM

Banned Wagner

Woke up this morning with a very swollen ankle. Had a bad landing after taking a flying leap around 11:45 last night. Doc says I have to keep off of it until Thursday or Friday. Anyone have a Tensor bandage? I might need it this week.

June 11, 2019 @ 9:34 AM

Jays were up 3 games to 1 in both '92 and '93 before they lost in game 5. They clinched both World Series titles in game 6ix.

Let's win it Thursday.

June 11, 2019 @ 4:56 PM

Rob J

I didn't watch the game and am completely objective, and have no idea how much cheering there was for this player's injury, but I'll never forget how Mets' fans openly celebrated Kirk Gibson's injury in the 1988 NLCS. 100% garbage.

June 11, 2019 @ 9:34 PM

Corrado C

Win it for Raptorized John who was a regular caller on the Fan590 and loved talking Raptors basketball.

June 12, 2019 @ 8:08 PM

@Corrado

I remember Raptorized John very well. He'd be so jazzed about this Raptors team.

June 12, 2019 @ 8:15 PM

Urooj Islam

YO BOBCAT!

June 12, 2019 @ 9:03 PM

Urooj Islam

Great recent feature article on Raptorized John from a week ago which I thought you guys would enjoy.

June 12, 2019 @ 9:06 PM

Corrado C

Thanks for the link to the article @Urooj

I think it may have been Gord Stellick that gave him the name Raptorized John