Scenes From the Raptors Championship Parade

Once we wrapped up today's Hebsy on Sports, I put the episode online and jumped on my bike to head east along the waterfront trail. I didn't really have a plan, I just knew I wanted to be a part of today's Raptors Championship parade.

It became apparent at Lake Shore and Strachan that I wasn't going to be able to bike much further. The crowds lining Lake Shore by the Princes' Gates were already pretty deep. At this point, I found the aforementioned Hebsy and we made our way to a great spot and took in the action.

Hebsy

The weather was perfect, the fans joyous and plentiful, and our Raptors did not disappoint. I took in the parade and biked home to catch the rally on TV. As I type, the parade still hasn't reached Nathan Phillips Square. I'm pretty pleased with my decision to lock up at Strachan.

Here's a dump of pictures and video I took from my spot just east of Strachan. What a day!

Raptors Championship Parade

20190617_105626_HDR

Raptors Championship Parade

Raptors Championship Parade

Dawn Keibals

Seen more than a few sport parade highlights over the years.
Every single one has players saying 'We have the best fans ever"
Well, today in Toronto a new bar has been set.
Nowhere ,no city can match what is happening today in Toronto !!
All Canadians should be proud.

June 17, 2019 @ 3:23 PM

James Edgar

WOWSER!!!! The "1 hour" Parade took almost 5.5 hours! 3:40 and they are just now starting the ceremony.

Unbelievable , @Dawn is so right that is certainly a new bar for fan response to a championship!

I'm actually glad i couldn't get out of work to be honest that many people for that long and I'd probably have had an anxiety attack.

June 17, 2019 @ 3:45 PM

LieveFamke

It's amazing and crazy! We got to leave work early b/c of the expected chaos for the commute home. It's nice to watch from the comfort of my couch!

June 17, 2019 @ 3:45 PM

Beatts

I wish Cheryl could see this

June 17, 2019 @ 4:06 PM

Urooj Islam

@Beatts

She's probably still e-mailing all the Oakland and San Francisco newspapers talking about how she's been a Warriors since 1985 and follows the team even as a visually impaired fan.

June 17, 2019 @ 4:10 PM

@Beatts

I see what you did there.

June 17, 2019 @ 4:34 PM

With a crowd that big, a little panic can be deadly. I just want to shout out the crowd and Matty D for staying calm while the cops took care of those idiots who brought guns to a celebration. A couple of non-life threatening injuries and the show went on. That could have been so much worse.

Other than that hiccup and the fact thing were running a few hours behind schedule, this was a fantastic day. Kawhi's laugh was the icing on the cake.

June 17, 2019 @ 4:36 PM

LieveFamke

you guys are bad.. lol

June 17, 2019 @ 4:36 PM

Annonomass

@ Urooj Good whun ..Oh my side..
Can't wait for her attention getting comments tomorrow A.M.
I have a feeling she did not even know there was a parade today ,Unless her Grocery Gateway
delivery was late due to traffic then she would make it all about her.

June 17, 2019 @ 4:39 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

That's actually why I didn't go to the parade, my gun was in the shop.

Who in their right mind would go to a championship parade without a gun? Not me.

June 17, 2019 @ 5:29 PM

elvis

They won it for themselves and we all got to watch. The games and the trophies were for them. The parade was for the rest of us. Awesome.

June 17, 2019 @ 5:40 PM

markosaar

I was in the Eaton Centre for unrelated reasons and got to witness the surge of panicked people running and screaming from the shooting :/

I ran too when all the shops started slamming their shutters shut. Had no idea what was going on until I stopped at the north end and checked Twitter. I relaxed a bit as I made my way back towards work, but another wave of running people came up Bay. ETF SUVs stopped nearby and I headed another couple blocks north.

June 17, 2019 @ 7:28 PM

Anonymous

I know how much you love Toronto, so I would just gently point out that the gates at the east end of the CNE grounds are the Princes' Gates (not the Prince's Gates). They are names after two princes: Prince Edward and Prince George who visited Toronto in 1927.

June 27, 2019 @ 1:55 PM

@anonymous

Would you believe I knew that?

June 27, 2019 @ 2:19 PM