Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Rick

Further to my Twitter ask - and now a f/u question - are you able to use PayPal to become a Patron?

Also, not happy at all about these Bruins making it into the finals.

Hoping Woods doesn't make the cut today at the PGA.

Glad to see Vladdy finally hit a HR

Enjoy the Long Weekend everyone - looks like mine will be spent gardening.

May 17, 2019 @ 8:04 AM

Cheryl

I'm not first again. Well, Bruins are winning the cup. They will. Don't worry though. They won't win it next year because my Habs or Coyotes will. My Indians beat my Orioles last night. That game was wild. Oh well, both my teams had to score lots of runs. My Diamondbacks didn't play. Well, my Bucks will win tonight. They sure will win. Go Bucks. They're winning it all this year. Go Bucks.

May 17, 2019 @ 8:13 AM

@Rick

There are several Patrons who used PayPal or email transfer instead of Patreon. When I write Patron-only content, as I did yesterday, I literally email the entry to such people.

Here's a convenient link if you prefer PayPal: https://paypal.me/torontomike

p.s. Eff the Bruins!

May 17, 2019 @ 8:20 AM

@Rick

Thanks for becoming a Toronto Mike's Patron!

May 17, 2019 @ 8:33 AM

Beatts

Congratulations Cheryl on your silver medal!

May 17, 2019 @ 8:34 AM

Rick

Done! Messed up the first time linked to the wrong (empty!) Paypal account. Cancelled that one and got it right the second time!
I figured it was about time I did this. Yours is one of the few sites I visit on an almost daily basis. And one the fewer that interests me.

May 17, 2019 @ 8:41 AM

For podcast listeners...

Today I record with Mark Howard at 11am. I just read his book, and this could be something special. He's worked with Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Tragically Hip, and so many other music legends.

Sunday is Farley Flex. He managed Maestro, was a judge on Canadian Idol, is really giving back to his community.

Monday is Leo Rautins. That man needs no introduction. He'll be very early on Monday morning, so if you're up, I'll tweet the link to the live stream.

Here's where you can watch the cake being baked: http://periscope.tv/torontomike

May 17, 2019 @ 8:43 AM

Beatts

"That mean needs to introduction."

You need a preview button or something similar

May 17, 2019 @ 9:13 AM

Rick

@Beatts. Maybe he is already worrying about how early he'll need to get up on a holiday Monday.

May 17, 2019 @ 9:25 AM

Beatts

@Rick I don't know. Someone of Mike's advanced age is generally up that early anyways

May 17, 2019 @ 9:31 AM

I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. There is no sleeping in... I'm happy when they sleep until 7:30.

May 17, 2019 @ 10:36 AM

mrmojorisinca

7:30 is a dream :)

May 17, 2019 @ 11:01 AM

James Edgar

Happy Long Weekend everybody!

Don't forget MotoGP is in lovely France this weekend! Maverick Vinales on a factory Yamaha topped Friday practice Rossi not so good :( and the Suzukis are languishing down in 14/15. Hopefully the pull it together for Tomorrow and the race. Sunday may be wet which obviously could make any results pretty crazy.

Wondering why they race in the rain? Smallish men ( seriously average height is 170CM weight 68KG) with HUGE balls.

And If i'm not mistaken a local sports team may have a game or two on the schedule over the weekend. Not sure which one but pretty sure it's not that NHL one.

Side note . Seriously annoyed with the Aholes actually calling 911 over amber alerts. Just stop it.

Side note 2 . The recent insanity over abortion in the U.S. has reached a level of crazy i can't fathom. the "pro Life" laws that would force a Child impregnated during incest to carry the child or a woman raped to do the same make me sick. There's an 11 year old in Ohio going through that now . The legislatures implementing this are despicable. I get that people are against abortion and i can respect that (not exactly a fan myself if it's just an alternate form of birth control, which i'm told it is but have not seen actual evidence of) but it MUST be an individuals choice. And BTW those same Legislatures will in no way support those kids once born of course.

Side note 3. Sorry Mike for bringing politics :( This one is really pissing me off.

May 17, 2019 @ 12:04 PM

GUNTer

[insert amber alert sound]
i just saw a new bi-way store at Bathurst/Patricia (near Bathurst/Steeles) same logo but it says 'bi-way $10 store'
making a comeback?

May 17, 2019 @ 1:32 PM

Jim

@ GUNT A $10 Store now ?? NO chance..3 months behind in rent...another 3 months before they are kicked out..Gone before Christmas..The suit & tie guys know it all..........

May 17, 2019 @ 2:30 PM

@GUNTer

As learned in this CTV article that shares a picture of my BiWay bag, it's happening! https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/biway-is-set-to-be-resurrected-in-2019-with-new-store-1.4210236

May 17, 2019 @ 2:59 PM

Thanks again, @Rick!

May 17, 2019 @ 4:19 PM

jj

everyone have fun and be safe. GO RAPTORS. I took an hour nap just to be able to go out and hit the dancefloor tonight.

May 17, 2019 @ 8:38 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Wow, was watching the most recent posts column on TM, and the resurrection of this post "Kimveer Gill's Page At VampireFreaks.com" from 2006 was pretty disturbing. Totally forgot about this shooting, but some of the comments left behind were even more disturbing.
@James Edgar, politics in generally no matter what country, doesn't leave you to feel confident for the human race going forward (Backwards?)
Jacinda Ardern, the prime minister of New Zealand maybe the only shining light in my opinion. She would be more deserving of a UN position than our fledgling PM.

Last comment. I do alot communication for scheduling with hospitals, businesses etc.,.
1) can't people just put up a vacation message (and change your voice mail)especially if you are going away for 3-4 weeks?
2) When said employee leaves IT hasn't set a bounce back message with alternative contacts or it has been forwarded on, or no one is monitoring the ex employee's email.
Okay my first world issues for a long weekend.
Cheers all

May 18, 2019 @ 7:54 AM

Certificate expiration issue is being addressed!

May 18, 2019 @ 8:47 AM

Cheryl

Finally the certificate is back and the website is working. Why is there a certificate anyway and why can't it be prevented from expiring? I thought the site was going to be down all long weekend. Well, how about those Bucks. Great they won two in a row. It will be Bucks in four or maybe five and then theyh win the next round and then it will be my party. Yes, party. My Orioles evend the series up with my Indians. That's good. Two more games to go and it will be all even. My Diamondbacks had a big win last night as well. Go Bucks. I mean really go Bucks.

May 18, 2019 @ 12:30 PM

The security certificate was set to auto renew, it just didn't auto update due to a technical glitch. My apologies to all!

May 18, 2019 @ 12:34 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Indians won over my Orioles again yesterday. My Diamondbacks lost though which is not a good thing. Well, Orioles win today to even the series. An Indians and Orioles series should be all even. My Bucks will win tonight. Go Bucks. I mean go Bucks. Let's do this.

May 19, 2019 @ 7:37 AM

Cheryl

My Bucks lost. I'm not very happy. I'm upset about this. They kept missing shots gallore. This is not good at all. My Bucks lost. My Bucks lost. My Bucks lost. Well, my Indians did beat my Orioles. Oh well, so my Orioles didn't tie the series. My Indians and Orioles play tonight, two different games so they can both win. My Diamondbacks also play today. My Bucks better be having a team meeting and practising because last night was disgusiing.

May 20, 2019 @ 7:29 AM

Jim

Everyone Loves Marineland The official start of summer !

May 20, 2019 @ 5:11 PM

Cheryl

My Orioles, Indians, and Diamondbacks all lost last night, so baseball sucked. I really need my Bucks to win. Come on Bucks. Don't make me angry again. You need to win. Come on Bucks. Don't disappoint. You need to win. Go Bucks.

May 21, 2019 @ 6:54 AM

jj

Rick C in Oakville - I like both your pet peeves (as in I agree they are annoying). I also think people need to stop giving out their home phone numbers if they are never at home. And I am included in this one - listen to your voicemails - the unknown number might be an doctor's office calling you.

May 21, 2019 @ 8:28 AM

jj

I was browing my fav celebrity gossip site. And there was a post about Bookie's passing - and they usually willl source some tweets - and our very own TM is a sourced tweet!!

Kinda nifty! A few commenters on ONTD seem to love ya TM :)

May 21, 2019 @ 9:38 PM

@jj

Is that a Toronto blog?

That author said very nice things (in small font - because it wasn't the place) about Toronto Mike'd. Thanks for sharing!

May 21, 2019 @ 10:02 PM

jj

ONTD is a worldwide blog. Posts are submitted from users all over the world :)!

May 21, 2019 @ 10:39 PM

@jj

But that author must be Toronto-based to be digging Toronto Mike'd... or he/she's at least Canadian...

May 21, 2019 @ 10:43 PM

Urooj Islam

The Blues are going to the Stanley Cup Final, much to the chagrin of Toronto Mike as he can't nitpick which team has the longest Stanley Cup Final drought anymore.

Come on Blues. You need to beat the Bruins. Don't make me angry again. Don't disappoint. You need to win. Go Blues.

Very happy for Bozak and to a lesser extent, Steen.

May 21, 2019 @ 10:54 PM

jj

TM - definitely must be from the GTA!! :)

May 21, 2019 @ 11:19 PM

Cheryl

The Bruins are winning the cup. My Bucks did disappoint last night. They really did. That was the worst game of the series. They had no chance. Come on Bucks. I was planning to have a party. There was going to be a deer cake which my personal baker was going to make. I am so angry. On top of that basketball game which sucked, my Indians, Orioles, and Diamondbacks all fricken lost. I am so fricken mad. I just want to hide in a hole.

May 22, 2019 @ 7:15 AM

Jody Thornton

Holy Crap! I just heard the Christine Crosbie has passed away from cancer. She was at Global TV for quite awhile. Unbelievable!

May 22, 2019 @ 9:22 AM

@Jody

And one year ago Christine's husband was killed while riding his bike in Toronto.

May 22, 2019 @ 10:32 AM

@Urooj Islam

The debate wasn't which team has the longest finals drought (that's definitely my Leafs) but which team has the longest championship drought (which I claim is a tie between the Blues and Leafs).

Here's hoping the Blues win it all this year. I can't stand the Bruins.

May 22, 2019 @ 5:19 PM

FU

I'm with Bozie.

Go Blues!

May 22, 2019 @ 8:44 PM

Cheryl

I am worried. I need my Bucks to win. I really really do. They better win tonight. I just feel like hiding in a hole. Does anyone want to help me dig a hiding hole? My Indians, Orioles, and Diamondbacks lost again last night. Why is everyone always losing? Go Bucks. I mean go Bucks. I want my deer cake.

May 23, 2019 @ 7:17 AM

Annonomass

@ Cheryl Your personal baker can help you dig a hole . He/She has all the time in the world cause there is never ever any victory party cakes to be made.

May 23, 2019 @ 7:28 AM

H.o.E.

The annual free Woodbine Park Canada Day fest will have tribute acts for Neil Young, Santana, Radiohead, U2, The Foo Fighters, Chicago and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, according to Now, though I can't find an actual line-up listed yet on Q107's website.

Peterborough MusicFest line-up

May 23, 2019 @ 11:26 AM

Rob J

Mike,
I apologize for my rudeness in our recent email exchange.

Rob J

May 23, 2019 @ 9:28 PM

@Rob J

Don't worry about it.

We miss you around here.

May 23, 2019 @ 9:47 PM

Urooj Islam

Rob J is back!

It's going to be a great weekend.

May 23, 2019 @ 10:08 PM

Biggest win in franchise history... what a game!

Go Raps!!!!

May 23, 2019 @ 11:40 PM

chris

Cheryl's personal baker just closed her account as invalid the last 2-3 years with promises but no down payments.
Unbelievable game as Bucks haven't lost 3 games in a row all year. Now make it 4.

May 23, 2019 @ 11:57 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

Fred VanVleet Senior is a new man! Literally!

May 24, 2019 @ 12:01 AM