Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm not first. Oh well. Well, how about those Sixers. I'm so glad they won. Well, game 7. They'll win on Sunday, but in the next round they won't beat my Bucks though. Yes, the Bucks will win the championship and yes, there will be a party the first Saturday after my Bucks win. It will start at noon and end when everyone leaves. Bruins won as well. They're winning the cup this year. My Indians and Diamondbacks also won. My Orioles didn't play. Bob Seger probably enjoyed lots of good food to celebrate his birthday. He's so good. Bob Seger should be the king.

May 10, 2019 @ 8:08 AM

Rick

25 years ago today, I got my first salaried full-time job out of university. After graduating in June, with a summer job that kept me employed until the end of August, things got bleak on the job front. Around November I started working at Sears taking orders over the phone from people using their catalog (no online shopping back then). In January I starting working in the mutual fund industry. At one point I was working both jobs and even worked 33 days straight! Fast forward to this day in 1994 and I was made full time in the financial services industry. My starting salary was 25k, which I thought was pretty awesome - especially after not working so that stretch. Of course this job had nothing to do with what my degree was in!

May 10, 2019 @ 8:17 AM

Austin

Rick - I remember when I thought 30k / year was amazing. I was rich!!!!!!

May 10, 2019 @ 8:42 AM

Tired of this

Who else is tired of stupid posts by Cheryl?

May 10, 2019 @ 8:44 AM

GUNTer

@tiredofthis
NOT ME! i literally check in every day JUST to read/make sure Cheryl has posted. Its an addiction. I like it best when she has an 'event' in her life, and less sports talk. I love Cheryl's posts.

May 10, 2019 @ 8:49 AM

jj

Tired of this - They don't bother me. If they do, i just scroll on by. So I would humbly suggest you too, just scroll on by.

Rick - wow! Love that. Are you still in the financial industry 25 years later or ?

May 10, 2019 @ 9:00 AM

If Cheryl stops posting, I'm shutting this down.

May 10, 2019 @ 9:02 AM

Rick

@jj - Still here 25 years later. A different company, but still very much in the Mutual Fund Industry.

May 10, 2019 @ 9:12 AM

Sherrill

I'm not last. Oh well. Well, how about those 9'ers. I'm so glad they won. Well, game 2. They'll win on Tuesday, but in the next round they won't beat my Ducks though. Yes, the Hucks will win the championship and yes, there will be a gender-reveal party the first Thursday after my Mucks win. It will start at midnight and end when everyone arrives. Jimmy Hats won as well. They're winning the chalice this year. My Aboriginals and Rubychests also won. My Hummingbirds didn't play. Bob Saget probably enjoyed lots of good women to celebrate his colonoscopy. He's so good. Bob Barker should be the Night King.

May 10, 2019 @ 9:21 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

I will make a fearless prediction. Game #7 Sunday night at 7:00 p.m. will be the highest rated Raptors game ever, and it won't be close. No NHL playoff game to compete with. Expect to see a lot of people delay their Game of Thrones watching until the game is over, hopefully with a Raptors win, or the city will be in a state of despair for a while, including me.

May 10, 2019 @ 9:29 AM

jj

Rick - exciting! Sometimes I wish I was more career oriented - but I am more just get me a good job with good pay and benefits.

Brian - Game 7 will be a movie, you're correct. We ought to have wrapped it up last night, but I know we'll get it done Sunday (or I will cry and die come Monday)

May 10, 2019 @ 9:53 AM

Jack

If you're a conservative life sure is awesome. Trump in the White House, Ford in power at Queens Pk and soon that former substitute drama teacher pretending to be our PM will be back substitute teaching. Sunny ways indeed

May 10, 2019 @ 10:02 AM

James Edgar

Not putting the sixers away last night was annoying as hell . I can't see them going 5 games against Milwaukee even if the manage to win Sunday . And that's a big If.

I said I'd stop watching but they sucked me back in with the Game 5 drubbing .

This is why i generally dislike team sports. If the team don't all show up together it's incredibly tough to watch.

May 10, 2019 @ 10:08 AM

jj

James Edgar - all true. I haven't watched much of this series because my game buddy has been sick along with her baby girl so I catch highlights and tweets. I'd be yelling too much. sigh!

May 10, 2019 @ 10:13 AM

H.o.E.

Online shopping is really just a somewhat improved version of catalog shopping. It's basically the same thing -- you're ordering something that has to be delivered to you.

May 10, 2019 @ 11:43 AM

Dr. Seymour Light

Just back from a week in Vegas at a trade show. Even though I do not smoke, pretty sure I inhaled over a carton of smokes this week. People smoking in hotel elevators, come awn man....

May 10, 2019 @ 12:55 PM

GUNTer

Another thing I do on a regular basis is check in to see if she posts again on the same day. Pretty sure in all the few years I’ve been posting here Cheryl has never commented twice on the same day.
And as per TM post above, Cheryl is literally the life blood of this bulletin.

May 10, 2019 @ 1:26 PM

@GUNTer

My favourite thing is when she has an early appointment and asks me to post the Open Mike the previous night (Thursday) so she can comment before leaving the home.

May 10, 2019 @ 2:54 PM

Chad

Hey Mike,
Re: Biggs and Barr moving to Ottawa
I get it that radio personalities should be free to switch jobs just like any of us, but don't you think they owe it to the fans based on the choice of their profession to tell us in advance? So many times I hear a radio personality say "See you next week", and then the following week, they are just never mentioned again.

May 10, 2019 @ 2:57 PM

@Chad

It seems Biggs and Barr gave a lot of notice... they'll be on HTZ for another week or two or three. So maybe they will tell their fans in advance.

Sometimes, when you leave a Bell station for a Rogers station, your employer asks you not to say where you're going. So I'm sure they'll get to say goodbye, but they probably won't mention their new station on HTZ.

May 10, 2019 @ 3:19 PM

Chad

Thanks Mike,
That is a good explanation. Didn't know the bosses behind each station, but makes sense if it is a competitor.

May 10, 2019 @ 3:29 PM

Urooj Islam

@Sherrill

LOL! Fantastic. I hope we hear from Sherrill as much as we hear from Cheryl.

@Brian Gerstein

Three potential Game 7s in one day on Sunday if the Rockets win tonight? Awful scheduling by the NBA, It really makes me put my tinfoil hat on regards to how these series are being extended by the referees and the league as most games aren't even competitive.

May 10, 2019 @ 3:42 PM

@Chad

Here's a little more inside baseball. On the B&B entry, someone was wondering if I'm wrong about this because they're still on HTZ. If you don't want to burn bridges in an industry dominated by three companies, you play nice when you exit. Stations make a lot of money selling remotes. For example, the morning show broadcasts live from your store or event. These are sold well in advance and bring in a lot of money for stations like HTZ.

So, if the sales department has sold some remotes, you'd do them a solid by sticking around long enough to do those. That often explains why a radio host or team would give more than two weeks notice. They could be sticking around to satisfy such things before heading to Ottawa.

May 10, 2019 @ 3:43 PM

Neil Clarke Warren

@ Sherrill Lucky for me I still had my de-coder close by,the one that is needed to scan the Black Widow's posts daily. One word to describe your post is Gold Jerry Gold.

May 10, 2019 @ 6:38 PM

Urooj Islam

@Neil Clarke Warren

Seriously. I am still laughing at it over 12 hours later. The Bob Saget/Bob Barker parts were amazing and the gender reveal cake? What a great post.

May 10, 2019 @ 11:24 PM

Cheryl

Well, I better keep posting so this isn't shut down. Well, baseball sucked last night. My Orioles, Indians, and Diamondbacks all lost. That's no good at all. Well, the Sixers will win tomorrow. Yes, they will do that. Bruins will win tomorrow as well. Most important is the Sixers will win tomorrow. Bucks and Sixers to the next round. Bucks will beat the Sixers and then beat the Warriors and win it all. Yes, the party will be the first Saturday after my Bucks win it all. It starts at noon, not midnight. It will be smoke free. Anyone who smokes has to pay a fine of $500.00. I'm serious.

May 11, 2019 @ 7:16 AM

elvis

B&B would not be able to say goodbye if they were staying in the GTA.

May 11, 2019 @ 10:03 AM

FU

re: elvis: "B&B would not be able to say goodbye if they were staying in the GTA."

Andy Frost ......

May 11, 2019 @ 10:55 AM

@FU

Andy Frost wasn't going anywhere. That's completely different. It's not like he quit Q to join Boom.

A better example is Adam Wylde who said goodbye on Rogers-owned 92.5 to join Bell-owned 99.9, although there was a lengthy non-compete there.

May 11, 2019 @ 12:22 PM

Urooj Islam

Thank God Cheryl isn't rooting for the St. Louis Blues so they still have a chance to end their various playoff droughts, both the Cup Finals drought and the Stanley Cup drought.

As a Leafs fan, I can relate to their misery and if they break through, it will be encouraging to see that it can be done and the Leafs will also hopefully do it within the next few years.

May 11, 2019 @ 6:45 PM

Axll33

Love 640 in the morning Stafford on his own finally getting the old Stafford back.

May 11, 2019 @ 10:11 PM

Cheryl

Baseball sure wsucked. My Indians, Orioles, and Diamondbacks all lost yesterday. That's no good. Today is the day. Sixers will win. Trust me. Then it will be Sixers and Bucks. They won't beat the Bucks though. Trust me. Bruins also play today. Bruins are winning the cup. Just think if there are smokers at my party, I get lots of money for that. Big fine of $500.00 if you smoke at my party. No smoking. There's no place for smokers except on the street.

May 12, 2019 @ 7:30 AM

Happy Mother's Day to any and all moms who pop in here from time to time.

May 12, 2019 @ 9:15 AM

Dawn Keibals

Does anyone know when Toronto will be getting a Professional Baseball team again ?

May 12, 2019 @ 5:33 PM

dale

Peggy Lipton from Mod Squad & Twin Peaks passed away. RIP

May 12, 2019 @ 5:44 PM

Urooj Islam

@Cheryl

Will you accept credit cards or debit cards to pay the smoking fine?

I don't think people go to parties with $500+ in cash on them.

May 12, 2019 @ 10:05 PM

Cheryl

Well, you can always give me a cheque for the smoking fine. That is what will have to happen, but the way around it is don't smoke. I'm really pissed off about the Sixers. Why couldn't they stop that final shot. I have no idea why they couldn't. Well, Bucks will win anyway. Yes, there will be a party. First Saturday after they win it all. Baseball was good with my Orioles and Indians winning, but my Diamondbacks lost which sucks. That's no good my Diamondbacks lost, but my Indians and Orioles won. Bruins won yesterday as well. Bruins are winning the cup, remember.

May 13, 2019 @ 7:16 AM

jj

Wishing everyone a great week ahead, except for the Milwakee Bucks, trying to give y'all the L all week long.

May 13, 2019 @ 9:34 AM

@jj

The Bucks can bite me!

May 13, 2019 @ 12:05 PM

jj

TM - what they do with you behind closed doors is none of my business :P

May 13, 2019 @ 12:51 PM

Urooj Islam

@Dawn Keibals

It's going to get even worse than this. Just imagine the Jays after they trade some of the valuable assets they have on the roster like Stroman, Sanchez, Smoak, Giles, Hudson, Sogard, etc.

The rebuild hasn't even begun yet.

May 13, 2019 @ 4:12 PM

Annonomass

WOW what a great 4 1/2 seconds & after-party . I never knew dripping wet Bologna could taste so good ! A big thank you to The Black Widow of sport picking led me to make nice $$. Also to my Butcher/Auto Body Repair/Day Care center proprietor Three Fingerz Lou for opening up late on a Sunday to cut me a big hunk of meat. Actually he was still open late Sunday as he had quiet a few friends over playing cards ,many tables playing and he also had a nice greeter at the door, a very big tall guy (he must of been a x-Basketball player )

May 13, 2019 @ 4:27 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

Your gender swap Snapchat filter picture looks like Ann Coulter.

May 13, 2019 @ 6:07 PM

Anonymous

Well, my Diamondbacks won last night. That was great. Robby Ray pitched a gem. My Orioles got rained out. My Indians lost though. I mean come on Indians. You need to win and really need to win. Yes, Bucks are winning it all. Tomorrow is when my Bucks will win the first game of the next series. Go Bucks. Do this. I need you to do this. Bruins will win tonight, but they're winning the cup. Next year my Habs or Coyotes will win it.

May 14, 2019 @ 6:55 AM

H.o.E.

Having only recently stepped into the 21st century by finally ditching my land line for a smartphone (I did have an iPod Touch for several years), I had my first experience of being awakened this morning by one of those incredibly loud 'nuclear war is imminent'-like alarms at 4:57 a.m., and then again about 45 minutes later just after I had been able to get back to sleep, all because a mother took her 3-year-old from Sudbury to Toronto.
TorontoMike comment from February
So -- does putting the phone on 'silent' work to avoid this?

May 14, 2019 @ 11:27 AM

LieveFamke

@H.o.E - I had my phone on "do not disturb" and also had the sound turned off - all that happened was that my iPhone vibrated... it still woke me up but way less disruptive!

May 14, 2019 @ 11:31 AM

H.o.E.

A list of (I think mostly free) outdoor movies.
link
There's one almost every Thursday night at Celebration Square in Mississauga starting May 23 to the end of August, and there were also some last year at the Downsview Park running track/football field.

May 14, 2019 @ 11:31 AM

dale

RIP Tim Conway at 85 as 1 of the best comedians & actors ever, especially with Harvey Korman on Carol Burnett show in the 70's.

May 14, 2019 @ 1:35 PM

@H.o.E.

After the last time, I did a few things to prevent a future heart attack. One of the things I did was create a "do not disturb" period on my Android phone where only a select few phone numbers make a noise when they call or text me.

As a result, my phone didn't make a peep last night. No vibration, no sound... although I did hear the alert on my wife's phone.

May 14, 2019 @ 2:17 PM

H.o.E.

Thanks. I set the Do Not Disturb schedule thing.

May 14, 2019 @ 2:38 PM

H.o.E.

Your Peter Puck Tweet -- I vaguely remember seeing it and even as a little kid and thinking it must be aimed at imbeciles or people who have never known of the existence of hockey, because it said things like "these are the boards ". At around the same time (I guess about 1974 as that's when NFL rules changed) I thought I remembered seeing a similar cartoon featuring a dog wearing a football helmet with the voice of Barney Hefner (Archie Bunker's neighbour), going over the intricacies of NFL rule changes (when it was legal to contact a receiver, etc.), in contrast assuming people already knew the game, though I can't seem to find any evidence of this cartoon through Google or Wikipedia.

May 14, 2019 @ 3:36 PM

@H.o.E.

I think it was aimed at kids learning the games. I remember Peter Puck well... Brian McFarlane was behind the HNIC shorts and books. It explained things like icing and offside... definitely dumbed down a shade or two.

Here's the pics I took today. I was found this book cleaning out my mom's basement.

Stumbled upon this old Peter Puck book from when I was a kid pic.twitter.com/EVWbq2eor9

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) May 14, 2019
May 14, 2019 @ 3:46 PM

Cheryl

Well, Bruins won last night. One more win and they go to the next round, but as I said, this year they're winning the cup. My Indians won last night. That was great. My Jose even hit a home run. Hopefully that gets my Jose going. Carlos Carrasco pitched a gem. Well, my Diamondbacks did lose. My Orioles got rained out again. Well, let's go Bucks. Go Bucks and I mean go Bucks tonight. They need to win. Just do this.

May 15, 2019 @ 7:08 AM

wade

Wasn't Peter Puck first produced for CBS Sports hockey broadcasts? I can still remember Bill Mazur explaining the rules of hockey to an American audience and I think Peter Puck was part of this. We of course up here found it hilarious.

May 15, 2019 @ 8:02 AM

@wade

It seems it aired on the NBC game of the week as well as HNIC.

May 15, 2019 @ 8:11 AM

jj

Peter Puck looks like sushi kinda.

Also, was the Fonze on Happy Days supposed to be their age? Or just an older high school drop out who they grew to love??? YouTube suggested Happy Days episodes, and I watched some and I would really like someone to clarify this for me.

May 15, 2019 @ 10:24 AM

@jj

The Fonz was older than Ralph, Potsie and Richie.

May 15, 2019 @ 11:40 AM

LieveFamke

@jj, you never watched Happy Days on TV?? You must be much younger than Mike and I! :)

May 15, 2019 @ 2:53 PM

James Edgar

I was a pre/teenager already when they started airing on HNIC , my friends and I used to watch the games at my house all the time because I was allowed a TV in my room ( dumb idea on my parents part in retrospect) we used to make fun of PP .

May 15, 2019 @ 3:21 PM

Pickwhun

As of right now I will NOT drink Any beer that is produced in Milwaukee !
Well ,unless it is free. Then that is a different story.

May 15, 2019 @ 5:25 PM

jj

TM - thanks. Cause watching some of the episodes, some of the girls he kisses are definitely under age but that was a different era !

LieveFamke- I caught some reruns? But definitely never watched avidly. Don't think Happy Days ever made it to Trinidad LOL

May 15, 2019 @ 5:40 PM

H.o.E.

FWIW, Tackles was the name of the Hanna-Barbera cartoon dog with the voice of Allan Melvin I remembered explaining the NFL rule changes during halftime on NBC in 1974. I can't find an image, but apparently it looked nearly identical to a non-talking dog named Fumbles from a 1970 H-B primetime summer replacement football-themed series (unknown to me) that was similarly short-lived and quickly forgotten.

May 15, 2019 @ 7:20 PM

Cheryl

Well, great comeback win by my Bucks. They won. Three more to go and then to the next round. It was great that my Bucks could come back and win. My Orioles sucked again last night losing two of a doubleheader, but great Diamondbacks win. Well, Bruins will win tonight. Finish them off.

May 16, 2019 @ 7:01 AM

LieveFamke

@jj, I just assumed you were born here! Sorry for the mistake!

May 16, 2019 @ 11:11 AM

jj

LieveFamke - no need to apologize!! I grew up on whatever I guess our national stations could get in? So I think if they were showing Happy Days I hadn't been born :) I have lived in Toronto more than half my life, since I was 10 :) I have an affinity for Danger Bay and Kung Fu the Legend Continues - because that's what we saw when I grew up - plus Sesame Street. My parents didn't get cable until we moved up here, and I think we tapped in to someone else's cable LOL.

May 16, 2019 @ 11:53 AM

LieveFamke

@jj, I don't we had cable till I was 13/14 (mid 80's).. (and I was born here!!) lol

May 16, 2019 @ 2:34 PM

jj

LieveFamke - haha, there we go! And now, I don't even watch the cable I pay for smh.

May 16, 2019 @ 10:42 PM