My Favourite Toronto Sports Moments

I've been following Toronto sports closely for almost 40 years. Ok, 37 years to be specific, but I prefer round numbers.

Now that I've had a couple of sleeps since witnessing The Shot, I find myself literally stuck in that moment. That shot was a true moment. It was a high arching buzzer-beater with some lengthy rim bounces that made it feel like time stood still for a few seconds. Kawhi took the shot and we all watched and waited to see if it would fall. It did, and the Raps advanced to the conference finals.

True, we're only halfway there, but that was the first buzzer-beater to end a game seven in NBA history. That's literally never happened before, and I can't personally remember a buzzer-beater in any game with that much bounce and suspense. I still can't believe it fell, but it did. Right?

I just checked the replay for the 529th time to confirm it did indeed fall. I haven't felt this jazzed about a moment in Toronto sports since Joey Bats flipped his bat in that crazy seventh inning. That wasn't that long ago, so now I'm thinking of where Kawhi's shot ranks in terms of Toronto sports moments.

Here's my top ten. Feel free to agree or disagree in the comments, just know this is a personal list of moments that have happened since I started following Toronto sports. I watched every one of these moments live and remember the feeling. Every time I question why I give a shit about sports, I remember these feelings...

1. Joe touchin' them all
  2. Kawhi's shot
  3. Timlin to Carter
  4. Joey Bats' bat flip
  5. Borschevsky
  6. Edwin's wildcard walkoff
  7. Gilmour's wraparound
  8. Alomar's HR off Eckersley
  9. Ed Spague's World Series HR
  10. George Bell catching '85 AL East clincher

jj

I haven't watched enough sports to know/care about many big moments - but this for me is amazing. The only other thing I can think of are when Mats Sundin got his 300th? 500th? point with us - I can't remember which one it was, but there's a grainy image in my mind.

It is up there with a cricket moment for me - Carlos Braithwaite making us win the word 20/20 when we only had like 4 balls left or something craazy.

May 14, 2019 @ 9:38 AM

headsup

I agree with most of your list. I don't remember Bell's catch in 1985... I would have been five months old.
The final out of the '92 World Series and Kawhi's shot would appear reversed in order on my list. Kawhi's bucket was very dramatic for sure, but closer in importance to the Wildcard Walkoff. A championship is more exciting than a trip to the semis any day.

May 14, 2019 @ 10:29 AM

Beatts

"Suspense"

May 14, 2019 @ 10:34 AM

Beatts

Reminds me of the early 90's band that sang "Kiss me"

Suspence None the Richer

May 14, 2019 @ 10:48 AM

Rick

A great list and a great topic. I would probably have Lanny McDonald's game 7 OT goal up there. Might also put the Alomar HR above the Bat Flip. Might not have Kawhi's shot that high up there for me.

May 14, 2019 @ 11:12 AM

Greg

Pretty good list. I'd probably add Rocket Ismail's kick return TD in the 1991 Grey Cup on my own list. Having said that, I'm not sure what I'd bump from your top 10!

May 14, 2019 @ 11:17 AM

Jack

Great list Mike. I also agree Rocket's touchdown and Lanny's OT winner. All great moments.

May 14, 2019 @ 1:14 PM

Bushpig

Will add Toronto Rock’s championship victory in 2000 at the gardens. Kaleb Toth scores the winner in the last seconds of the game.

May 14, 2019 @ 1:22 PM

Urooj Islam

Before elvis takes the bait Toronto Mike has laid out for him, what about Altidore's goal in the MLS Cup?

I guess like most lists , this would entirely depend on your age and what moments you were able to experience live.

May 14, 2019 @ 2:23 PM

No bait here... I was very excited about winning the MLS Cup, but I couldn't really remember any moments from it. And to me, that's a second tier Toronto team, after the holy trinity of Leafs, Raps and Jays.

May 14, 2019 @ 2:57 PM

And this is a totally subjective list. On Twitter, I have people telling me about the Rock championships, for example. I personally can't name a single player in Rock history, unless John Tavares played for them.

May 14, 2019 @ 3:27 PM

Urooj Islam

Another moment that sticks with me and that I assume no one will think to bring up...

UFC 129 on April 30th, 2011 as Georges St. Pierre makes the walk in front of 55,000+ at the Rogers Centre, symbolically ending the MMA ban in Ontario.

May 14, 2019 @ 4:07 PM

Dave

The non penalty on Gretzky in '93 against Gilmore! Prevented a Montreal/Toronto cup final!

May 14, 2019 @ 10:01 PM

Dave

Sorry...my mistake..... The non Penalty falls under the most Memorable Toronto Sports Moments!

either way....I want some verscht and eggs!

May 14, 2019 @ 10:25 PM

Beatts

Good one Urooj.

Ken Hayashi was a royal pain in the ass for years until the realized all the money that could be made by legalizing MMA in Ontario.

May 15, 2019 @ 10:12 AM