Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 455: All About Gino

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 455In this 455th episode, Mike lets Elvis ask the questions, and they're all about the recent Gino Vannelli episode. This episode is exactly 1:44:17.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Elvis and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, StickerYou and Camp Tournesol.

Palma Pasta   glb   Camp Tournesol
Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair   StickerYou   propertyinthesix

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

If everyone could follow my YouTube channel, I'd appreciate it. I need 1000 followers before I can stream an ep there via mobile. https://www.youtube.com/c/TorontoMiked

April 25, 2019 @ 10:57 PM

Doug

@Toronto Mike - Done!

April 26, 2019 @ 8:24 AM

@Doug

Do you have 700 friends you could get to do the same?

April 26, 2019 @ 8:35 AM

LieveFamke

Yes all correspondence with Elvis is non-creepy! ;)
Gilbert's laugh - his real laugh not a character laugh.. Mike should have played it for you!

April 26, 2019 @ 10:21 AM

markosaar

The Gino episode didn't sound off to me at all. I thought he was just being a bit quirky with the guitar.

April 26, 2019 @ 12:07 PM

@LieveFamke

The laugh of Gilbert's podcast is his character's laugh. I know that sounds strange, but Gilbert is always in character when on mic/camera.

April 26, 2019 @ 12:51 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Any chance that "Comfortably Awkward"was the original working title for that particular P-Floyd
Classic Rot staple?!?

April 26, 2019 @ 12:53 PM

@markosaar

Only one ep has sounded off. :)

April 26, 2019 @ 12:55 PM

Urooj Islam

@markosaar

Agreed.

Again, I still feel like I am missing something that Mike, elvis and some other commenters are in on about the Gino episode.

I love elvis episodes but I had to tap out of this one, seems like Mike and elvis wanted the Gino episode to be more awkward and noteworthy than it was just so they could do a recap episode.

Even the Twitter poll on whether to do this episode or not didn't provide a clear answer, listen to your audience!

At least you got your jj reference in which is tradition on the elvis episodes.

April 26, 2019 @ 1:25 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Urooj Islam
And what about the fact that the recounting of this landmark episode is about 40 minutes longer
than the actual, original episode itself? Abraham Zapruder would undoubtedly be most proud!!!

April 26, 2019 @ 1:29 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Also looking forward to the potential rebranding of KOTJ as "Throw Out the Jams!!". Kind of surprised
that Mike also didn't take Elvis to task for that one!!

April 26, 2019 @ 3:02 PM

elvis

@bsmntdwllr73 - proof I don't listen.

@Urooj - governments are formed with less of a majority than the poll received.

April 26, 2019 @ 3:30 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@elvis
Mind you, "Throw Out the Jams" might not be such a bad alternative title as it would dovetail
quite nicely with this site's extensive sports content!! P.S., your repeated claims of not listening
to 99% of all recorded episodes is always a highlight of your appearances. Don't ever change!!!

April 26, 2019 @ 3:40 PM

@Urooj Islam

You make it sound like I was hankering for an Elvis visit. He was just here! And it's a serious pain in the ass for him to get here!

And "Yes" beat "No" in the Twitter poll. So I did listen to my audience.

And besides, people know how to skip episodes if they don't want to hear how the Gino cake was baked.

April 26, 2019 @ 3:40 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Ignore all gripers and haters (sorry, Urooj!!). As usual this was a very entertaining episode, and
hopefully helped to introduce and/or refresh some listeners/viewers to Gino V.'s awesome
music.

April 26, 2019 @ 3:43 PM

elvis

I drive a black car. It matches my black heart.

April 26, 2019 @ 3:50 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@elvis
But do you also wear Sunglasses At Night, to quote another famous son from/of Montreal?!?

(@Mike, still hoping that CH might finally make his long-rumoured appearance in your
basement when his comeback tour hits town this summer!!)

April 26, 2019 @ 3:54 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I worked from home today and the Elvis episode came up. I DM'ed Mike to explain to him what a noise gate was and that turned into me live-tweeting the episode in his DM. Here's a snippet:

Al
"It all sounds great and you two have great chemistry. Elvis is a riot."

Al
"Elvis is such an HR guy with his definition of introvert."

Toronto Mike
"oh yeah"

Al
"and his description of 'caucasian'!"

Al
"I took Gino's reaction to the Stevie Wonder joke that you just beat him to it."

Al
"Did Elvis just say 'Who?' about Jerry Howarth? I've lost all respect. For now on, I refuse to listen to any Elvis episodes!"

Al
"KICK OUT THE JAMS! Not Throw out the jams!"

Al
"Sorry, I'm live tweeting the Elvis episode in your DM. I'll stop now."

April 26, 2019 @ 5:27 PM

LieveFamke

@Elvis, of all the episodes available, what made you listen to the Gino one?

Also, you don't have a black heart... you cried at the Gino episode!.. and I think you avoid listening to so many of the episodes is b/c of the nostalgia and you don't like the feelings/emotions listening stirs up! Shit, you could be crying 3-4 times a week, depending on Mike's recording schedule!
;)

April 26, 2019 @ 6:37 PM

Anon&on

So you only want to hear from the sycophants, I get it.
I'm a bozo for saying what I hear, but no mention of the dozens of times I've left glowing, positive comments on many episodes. No problem, just delete the ones you don't like, it's your blog.

And, I'm the bozo, but Elvis pretty much said the same things, and included a couple of things that also came to my mind - eg 'fan boy'ing. Not to mention you did an entire deconstruction episode. Also got some background into the making of, which matches what I thought I was hearing in the podcast.

There had to be 50 Black Cars mentions in this ep alone, so yeah, it was the Black Cars episode.

I listened to the second part, it saved itself and per an earlier comment, reminded me of the Colin James ep.

I don't think Gino was being 'unique' in his bursting into song, I think he thought it was going to be a disaster. Wouldn't surprise me if they had an impromptu secret 'let's get out of here' song lined up.

All in all, except for not listening thru before commenting, no retractions on this end. and if Gino had done H&F- it would have been all Black Cars (listen to the Spoons ep, same thing).
I approved of the mic power play on Elvis. Keep up the fine work, you are the best podcaster ever.

April 26, 2019 @ 8:19 PM

@Anon&on

There's a certain tact in sharing such feedback privately via email. I would have appreciated that.

p.s. When did I ever delete one of your comments?

April 26, 2019 @ 8:42 PM

elvis

Thank you for acknowledging I am the best podcaster ever.

April 26, 2019 @ 10:29 PM

Johnny B

Hey Elvis, you correctly mentioned a few times on this ep that “words matter”. My request & suggestion is you work on a list of descriptive words & phrases to replace the F bomb. That said, I enjoy a good F bomb but please moderation is appreciated. Words matter.

April 27, 2019 @ 4:47 PM

elvis

Thank you for acknowledging I am the best podcaster ever.

April 27, 2019 @ 7:52 PM

jj

@Urooj - maybe it was just the mood I was in, that I wanted to laugh and so I found it hilarious - to each their own though. It's my goal to get referenced every single time elvis comes on it seems :)!!

Honestly, I just about died of laughter listening to the Gino episode - like it was hilarious to me. The recap had some gems - Elvis is always an informative guest. I like that Mike deep dove into Elvis' feelings on nostalgia though. along with 1236, elvis eps are probably some of my favourite.

April 28, 2019 @ 7:24 PM

@jj

I don't remember referencing you this episode. Did I???

April 28, 2019 @ 7:35 PM

@jj

And you weren't alone in digging those two episodes.

The Gino ep might win me a Poddy, and the episode about the Gino ep could win me a Pulitzer.

April 28, 2019 @ 7:56 PM

jj

You mentioned that if the episode kept someone company on their drives to Brampton - that's me - but also others could be driving out to Brampton and listening, so maybe it isn't - BUT I did listen on the way from Brampton after the episode came out.

April 28, 2019 @ 8:53 PM

Boomer

Just subscribed to your Youtube

April 28, 2019 @ 9:02 PM

@jj

Yes indeed... I did say that! That's you!

April 28, 2019 @ 9:11 PM