Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 447: Kicking out the Charity Singles

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 447In this 447th episode, Mike and Elvis kick out the charity singles. This episode is exactly 1:55:39.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Elvis and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and BUKL. Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Palma Pasta   glb   Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair

propertyinthesix   BUKL   paytm

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Urooj Islam

That's the smile of a happy Toronto FC fan.

Vamos Pozuelo!

March 30, 2019 @ 6:13 PM

Urooj Islam

elvis seems to be having a lot of trouble with what a charity single is. "Mama" and "Candle in the Wind" are not charity singles, they were not recorded with any kind of philanthropic purpose in mind.

Awful picks.

March 30, 2019 @ 7:15 PM

@Urooj Islam

I totally get your point re: Mama, but disagree re: Candle in the Wind 1997. Candle in the Wind 1997 was only ever released with the proceeds going towards Diana's charities.

The two I think should be disqualified are the Spice Girls and Tears for Fears jams.

March 30, 2019 @ 7:48 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

My mistake, I stand corrected on "Candle in the Wind" 1997.

Although, I was also very disappointed that elvis had no idea what "Wavin' Flag" by Young Artists for Haiti was, arguably the most popular Canadian charity single of all-time.

Thanks for sticking to the theme, Mike, elvis was all over the place.

March 30, 2019 @ 7:56 PM

Jason from Sudbury

My mother bought that Candle In The Wind album when it was released in 97 and played the shit out of it. If I never ever hear that entire album again for the rest of my life I would be perfectly fine with that. Was never an Elton John fan to begin with except 2 or 3 songs.

March 31, 2019 @ 8:23 AM

Timmy O'Tool

How about "We're Sending Our Love Down The Well?"

April 1, 2019 @ 1:21 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Personal opinion: Any and all Spice Girls' tracks are best enjoyed accompanied by their original music video and even more importantly, a PRISTINE copy of any late nineties adult publication that was thoughtful enough to republish Geri Halliwell's nude cheesecake modelling endeavours from
earlier in that decade (say, for instance, Playboy's May 1988 edition!!).

@Urooj Islam
Despite not originally being written or recorded as a charity anthem, that Tears For Fears track
was donated to "Sports Aid" and thus squeaks in by only the flimsiest of guitar strings!!

@Jason From Sudbury
Seek out Flotsam And Jetsam's incredible 1988 rendition of "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting"
It will definitely make you an indirect Elton John Beleiber(!), if only due to the sake of some ass-kicking osmosis!

@Mike
Thanks for playing that "We're All In the Same Gang" jam. A nice reminder of MC Hammer's
initial attempt at assuming a more tough guy stance, and nowhere as near an epic fail as
his much later attempt at simply rebranding himself as the more street-based Hammer.
Remember, folks, you can take the rapper out of the parachute pants but...

P.S., quite saddened that neither you nor Elvis deigned to include such awesome eighties
charitable jams like RJ Dio's heavy metal anthem "Stars", as performed by the immortal
Hear 'N Aid ensemble, or the much lesser-known "Hands Across America' by Voices of
America, both tracks dating back to my 'stellar' Bar Mitzvah year of 1986. P.P.S., gotta
love the production sounds on all those eighties' tracks, especially the drum and keyboard
sounds. Sure wish we could return to those halcyon music days across the board. Thanks
again for the sweet memories!

April 1, 2019 @ 3:50 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, that Playboy issue referred to in my first paragraph above was actually released in 1998.
Ms. Haliwell would have been merely 16 in '88 ( yet old enough to hypothetically pose for the infamous likes of the U.K.'s Mayfair magazine back in the day), if you actually believe her legit birth date to be 1972 (not quite sure that I can fully endorse such speculative fiction...)

April 1, 2019 @ 4:33 PM

@Timmy O'Tool

You clearly never listened!

April 1, 2019 @ 6:11 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

Haha, no kidding. You even went out of your way to play the one from the Simpsons before you guys got into your personal picks.

@bsmntdwllr73

I don't believe a song can be retroactively turned into a charity song, sure it can be used for that purpose after the fact and even be known for it but in my opinion, the social cause has to be established before it is recorded and released.

I wish Toronto Mike and elvis set up clearer parameters or rules before they picked their Top 5. I was thoroughly confused throughout this episode.

April 1, 2019 @ 7:09 PM

Timmy O'Tool

Um... Well... Mr. Mike... There's no wifi in the well. Podcasts are out of range for me.

April 1, 2019 @ 7:47 PM

LieveFamke

Wavin' Flag was also used for the World Cup 2018! I'm surprised that a soccer/football fan like Elvis didn't mention that!? (or is he only a TFC fan?)

Also I agree with Urooj - I think 'charity' songs should be songs specifically written/recorded/sold for a charity not a retroactive decision. I was confused as well. You could have picked Sarah McLachan's Angel b/c it was used for the SPCA commercials and they are a charity.

April 2, 2019 @ 8:34 AM

@LieveFamke

Also, before all of this, Wavin' Flag was a big Canadian hit!

P.s. Y'all are taking this non-canon KOTJ too seriously! And I agree with you that Elvis shouldn't be picking that Spice Girls and Tears for Fears song.

But heck, his jams are his jams and I was more concerned with my selections. :)

April 2, 2019 @ 8:50 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Ultimate thanks to your higher power of choice that our collective ears were spared
the indignity of hearing that particular Sarah McLachlan jam kicked out in this
episode! I've endured enough personal tragedy over the past 5 or 6 weeks. AMEN.
P.S., still looking for very-belated confirmation that that was indeed Sarah posing
completely starkers in the original booklet for her second album "Solace"?

April 2, 2019 @ 10:01 AM

LieveFamke

@Mike, there are RULES to KOTJ.. they must be followed.

April 2, 2019 @ 10:38 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@LieveFamke
Great comment, and highly ironic since Elvis picked Tears For Fears' "...Rule..." song as one of
his now-seemingly-highly-controversial Jams!!

April 2, 2019 @ 10:42 AM

elvis

Please let me know where I shall send you new Cheerios so I can replace the ones I pissed in during this podcast. If this podcast is in violation of CRTC regulations, please direct your complaints to Mrs. Toronto Mike.

April 2, 2019 @ 3:50 PM

Urooj Islam

"Palma (pasta), I looooove you
Palma (pasta), I caaaaaare
Palma (pasta), I looooove you
Palma (pasta), my frrrrriiiiiend
You're my friend"

- Toronto Mike and elvis

April 2, 2019 @ 6:49 PM

S.D. Jones

Elvis! You shot down Mike when he was about to talk about the Ross Porter lawsuit and I've been waiting for an update.

April 3, 2019 @ 1:39 PM

Brandon

Enjoyed this episode. When I first started listening and heard the topic, I wondered if "The Simpsons" would get a nod; sure enough, they did. :) Then the CanCon representing with "Tears are Not Enough".

An interesting bit of Canadiana curiosity is the "O Canada Foundation Project". I suppose not strictly charity since the public couldn't donate, but it was made possible with fundraising/grants, etc. There's a full-length documentary on it, but essentially they gathered a bunch of Canadian vocal celebrities of the time (1991-92) to record a new, "official" version of our anthem and distributed it as a CD to 14,000 schools and the below short video. Found one of those puppies a few years ago used for $2. Spearheaded by DJ Ross Carlin of Orangeville, ON at the time:

April 3, 2019 @ 9:45 PM

@Brandon

That's a great find. I recognize a couple of future guests in that video. Murray McLaughlin and Gino Vannelli are dropping by soon!

And the comments from Carlin are great.

April 4, 2019 @ 8:09 AM

Brandon

@Toronto Mike

Glad you enjoyed the watch. I remember seeing the full-length documentary of it at one point, and Alannah Myles is joking around with Gino Vannelli about the Canadian star system and that you can come from anywhere and work your way up - that "k.d. Lang came from Armpit, Alberta". LOL.

Gino Vannelli is a "great" get (and Murray McLaughlin of course, too). Can't wait! Thought his "Inconsolable Man" track was underrated:

And it's "Black Cars" that tends to get all the retro plays these days (solid song too).

April 4, 2019 @ 7:54 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Brandon
Good call with regards to that "Inconsolable Man" track. It's a real shame that those retro stations
are as narrow in their playlists as their classic rot(!) equivalents!!

April 5, 2019 @ 9:57 AM