Ping Me When the Seasons Start

Last year, it felt like the Leafs season was 82 exhibition games until the real season began against Boston. It was a (mostly) entertaining 82 games, but it just didn't feel like it mattered. When the real season started, we bowed out in the first round to Boston.

This season feels awfully similar. Last night, I was picking up my kids at YYZ and by the time we got home the Leafs were down 5-0. That's no fun, but I sure didn't panic. We clicked over to the OKC / Brooklyn game and came back when it was 5-3. The finish was great fun, even though we lost, but again, it really didn't matter. The real season for this team starts in April.

I feel the exact same way about the Raptors. The Raps are essentially playing an 82 game exhibition season before the real season begins in a month. Nick Nurse is mixing the new in with the old and trying various combinations and strategies before things matter. More often than not, it's thoroughly entertaining, but when we lay an egg as we did against the Cavs, it doesn't faze me. This regular season simply doesn't matter. Like the Leafs, the Raptors will be wholly judged by what happens in the playoffs.

For what it's worth, I could see the Raps winning the Eastern Conference, but I'd be shocked if the Leafs escaped the second round. Still, I'd like to see what happens when the seasons start.

We're almost there...

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, but I would kinda personally prefer it if you would gently Wake Me Up When September Ends!!!

March 14, 2019 @ 11:05 AM

m m

From the title, for a moment I though you meant GoT.

March 14, 2019 @ 11:28 AM

jj

Sorry, but everything to me is the season. If they cannot sort it out before the playoffs, then it leaves me worried. As usual, I defer to you and Brian for input; but the Raps are stressing me out with their wishy washy play.

March 14, 2019 @ 11:41 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@jj
According to the very relivabe Lucy van Pelt, nobody was ever more WISHY WASHY than poor old Charlie Brown!!

March 14, 2019 @ 11:44 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - sometimes it's a whole bunch of charlie browns out there!

March 14, 2019 @ 12:00 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@jj
FYI: And both The Coasters and Coldplay have great tracks entitled " Charlie Brown"!!

March 14, 2019 @ 12:04 PM

Justin

It feels like both the Leafs and the Raptors are in similar places right now. Both teams are having great success this year, but it feels like each has an extra gear to get to, a higher level to reach. The Raptors haven't quite figured out how to stagger minutes between their players yet and have had too many injuries and too much player movement to develop a cohesive rotation. Kawhi has been phenomenal, but he too looks like he has an extra gear to get to. Likewise, the Leafs have been a well-oiled offensive machine all year but they're still lacking on the defensive side of things and Babcock hasn't quite figured out his ideal three D pairings or 4th line for the playoffs.

The question we're all waiting for an answer to is if these 2 teams will play to the higher level they're capable of come playoff time. It'd be possible for both teams to reach the finals if that's the case. It's equally as possible that the Leafs get bounced in the 1st round and the Raptors in the 2nd round.

March 14, 2019 @ 5:20 PM

chris

So Leafs win against a bad team at home after Philly played last night & tomorrow is same for Leafs.
Freddie has given up SOOOO many goals in the last 3 games, he needs a break.
Sparky probably playing vs. Ott. a coin toss.
I bet a loss.

March 15, 2019 @ 10:21 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Milwaukee lost a key starting contributor in Malcolm Brogden for 6-8 weeks, and who knows how effective he will be upon his return, which would be around the second round. The Raptors would only face Milwaukee in the 3rd round, the Eastern Conference Finals, but now I have real doubts about Milwaukee getting there, and the Raptors should be the clear favourites to get to the Finals in the east.

March 17, 2019 @ 1:03 PM