King Kong Bundy, Dead at 61

King Kong BundyKing Kong Bundy was 61. He was the WWE wrestler who gained fame in the 1980s for defeating opponents with "the avalanche". I remember a three-count wasn't sufficient for Bundy, so he'd always ask the ref for a five-count.

king-kong-bundy

bsmntdwllr73

From the high number of old school wrestlers who have perhaps
passed away somewhat prematurely over the past 18 months, it
would certainly seem that ye olde wrasslin' racket is just as vicious
as the music industry April Wine lamented about in their classic
"Rock N' Roll Is A Vicious Game" track way back in 1978. I would
also be quite remiss if I failed to mention his guest starring roles on
"Married With Children" (first as Peg's brother and then as himself!),
as well as his role as Gorgo, one of the three ex-cons turned inept
movers hired by Richard Pryor in "Moving", the otherwise horrific
family(!) comedy from 1988. R.I.P.

March 5, 2019 @ 1:40 PM

Steve

I met him in 1997 at an independent show near Cambridge, Ontario. He was super nice, probably the second nicest wrestler I've ever met. He'd have maybe been the first had it not been for Big John Studd, who I met 11 years earlier. I don't know where it is now, but somewhere I have a photo of Studd holding little 6-year-old me way up in the air, both of us smiling. Funny how the ones who play heels are sometimes the nicest people in real life. I'm sad that both of them are gone now.
And yes, he was great on Married With Children.

March 5, 2019 @ 5:02 PM

H.o.E.

Any time in the last two or three years that I see or hear a mention of Hulk Hogan (which luckily isn't too often), it makes think of a bit about HH's moustache I saw Brian Posehn do during a comedy fest appearance at The Royal Theatre on College Street.
YouTube

March 6, 2019 @ 9:25 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@H.o.E.
Well, get ready for a whole bunch o' H. Hogan coverage over the next several years as it has just
been announced that Chris Hemsworth has been cast as the Original Hulkamaniac in the
upcoming bio-flick "Brother." No one asked, but he's just too gosh darn handsome to play
that dude (and yes, I'm 100% straight, but thanks for the concern!!!)

March 6, 2019 @ 9:44 AM

T

& this guy ain't even in the Hall of Fame. Wake the F..K up McMahon.

When the WWF was making its mark, it was that tag team match with Big John Stud, King Kong Bundy vs Hulkster & Andre the Giant. 4 behemoth men in a 8 ft ring. Fans were in awe. Every professional sport was in awe of that spectacle. What a site to see.

Oh the Brain was the manager.

Those were good times.

March 6, 2019 @ 2:32 PM

NG

When I think 'heel', I think of King Kong Bundy. In fact, my first 'wrestling memory' is a backstage incident where he and Mr. Wonderful teamed up on the Hulkster. I don't know what year that was, but it left a mark on my mind.

March 11, 2019 @ 3:36 PM