Raptors Trade Jonas Valančiūnas, Delon Wright and CJ Miles to Grizzlies for Marc Gasol

The Toronto Raptors have acquired Marc Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for Jonas Valančiūnas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles and a 2024 second-round pick.

The three-time All-Star is averaging 15.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 4.7 assists over 53 games this season in Memphis, his 11th in the NBA.

Fuck it... we've got Kawhi Leonard this season... let's go for it.

gasol

Urooj Islam

I love it!

This has a very 2015 Blue Jays feel to it, like fuck it, we're going for it and we'll worry about the ramifications later!

February 7, 2019 @ 4:26 PM

Douglas

Yes, go for it. While the Raptors still have Kawhi Leonard, because I highly doubt that he will be a Raptor after the playoffs end. I don't know enough about Marc Gasol to make a decent assessment about how good or not the trade is for the Raptors, but my gut doesn't feel good about it. Come to think of it, my gut didn't feel so good about trading DeRozan away, either. If (when?) Leonard leaves, I may be more inclined to trust my gut on Raptors trades.

February 7, 2019 @ 4:30 PM

andrew

As a long time Basketball follower, the Sixers & Bucks made more significant trades today than the Raps. They upgraded more than Toronto. Jose V. was the ultimate Raptor, loved playing in TO & never complained. All the best Jose.
So this year we're "all in", better B as next year all best players will be leaving for brighter pastures.
Good Luck Raps

February 7, 2019 @ 5:44 PM

jj

This is some bullshit!!!!!

February 7, 2019 @ 6:48 PM

Anonymous

I don't like this trade.

February 7, 2019 @ 6:52 PM

This move is not without risks because Gasol is past his prime. But even if you just consider him an upgrade over JV it's a smart risk because Miles seemed done and Wright was fine but pretty low on the depth chart.

And really, much like AA back in 2015, the time is now to go for it. Boom or bust!

February 7, 2019 @ 6:57 PM

Urooj Islam

The best part about this trade is the Raptors didn't even have to give up their 2020 1st round pick, which will come in handy if they don't end up retaining Leonard/Gasol after this season and go into a rebuild.

They are in pretty good shape no matter how this season and offseason unfolds.

February 7, 2019 @ 7:03 PM

andrew

Sorry my mistake - Jose should have been Jonas V.

February 7, 2019 @ 7:17 PM

Cheryl

My Nets are winning it all this year though. Remember Nets cake. It will happen.

February 8, 2019 @ 7:23 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Man, they gave up a lot for Gasol! I hope he's worth it. Hate to see JV go.

February 8, 2019 @ 8:54 AM

bsmntdwllr73

So now what will become of all that glorious Jonas V. Pizzaville advertising?!? #Pricelss!!

February 8, 2019 @ 9:37 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

It always amazes me how fans for the most part overvalue their own players. This is why your GM has to be removed from the emotions involved in any existing relationships you have with the players. This is a business, and it is about winning. In order to do so you have to put the best product on the court, and Masai has done just that with this huge upgrade heading into the playoffs.

Yes, JV has been the one Raptor in their underwhelming playoff performances over the years who has not choked, at least on the offensive end, excluding the 5 easy put-backs he missed in Game #1 against the Cavs to cost us that game. Having said that, on the defensive end, Casey was always not using him on the defensive end in crunchtime, and he was substituted in and out of the line-up.

Contrast this to Gasol, who while not being a rim protector, something that JV does better than him, is superior in all the other facets of the game, and Gasol will easily be able to now take the pressure off of Lowry to be that 2nd scorer. Gasol just turned 34 and will likely execute his player option next year for around $25M which is fine. He has one of the highest basketball IQ's in the league, and will seamlessly learn the Raptors offence, and even the offence can run through him as he is next to Jokic, the 2nd best big man passer in the game. He has a post-up game, can shoot the 3's effectively, and most importantly will be able to tie Kawhi more room to operate in, as you have to respect his outside shot.

The 76'ers and Bucks made huge moves improving themselves, and the Raptors responded in a trade that will make them better for sure to get out of the east. FYI they are still the favourites at 2"1 to do just that. Bucks and Celtics are 2.5:1, and 76'ers are 3:1. Do you want to know why? Because we now have the proven veterans who will perform in the playoffs.

The Raptors tried all they could to move Lowry, but there were no takers. Other GM's are not stupid. Lowry is always day to day, has a huge contract, and is not reliable. Having said that, Lowry is still the engine, so he has to find a way to make it work and last the two months we are all expecting in the playoffs.

JV was a fantastic Raptor and I will miss him. I never understood the role that Casey put him in, as he was always struggling to find his place in today's NBA. Under Nurse he has done that, and due to that we were able to trade him, so all good, and I wish him the best in Memphis.

February 8, 2019 @ 11:53 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

I asked Eric Koreen a question on his Q&A and he answered back:

A lot will depend on match-ups, but in general, who do you see on the floor in crunchtime? Gasol won't take long to learn the Raptors playbook, and I am sure that Nurse will design plays for the ball to go through him, with the option of posting up on his own down low, and shooting or dishing out to Kawhi or Kyle or Pascal, or pulling the other team's 5 out, as they have to respect his 3-point shooting, thus giving Kawhi and Pascal more room to operate down low. Can Gasol and Ibaka at the 4 co-exist, or will Ibaka need to only play as a 5?

Eric Koreen
1m ago
@Brian G. I'm sure we'll see moments of Gasol and Ibaka together, but I'd guess they'll be few and far between.

My best guess is Lowry, Siakam and Kawhi will always be on the floor, Gasol will be on the floor more often than Ibaka. For the fifth spot, I think it will tend to be Green then VanVleet and then OG, although that is definitely the most malleable spot.

February 8, 2019 @ 12:34 PM

Urooj Islam

bsmntdwllr73

I wonder if CJ packed his PJs for Memphis.

February 8, 2019 @ 2:04 PM

Urooj Islam

@Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

I think what bothers some fans who are or were opposed to or lukewarm to all the trades over the last year is the lack of continuity with the roster. When the roster changes so much over such a short period of time, it's harder for fans to connect with the team or build any attachment to the players. A Finals appearance would go a long way towards changing that mindset but even then a big part of sports fandom is building a connection with the players on your favourite team(s). As good as this team is and could be with the addition of Gasol, they do feel like a bunch of mercenaries.

Lowry is the only one left on the roster who has been on every playoff team during this recent run and it doesn't seem like he'll be here after 2020. Norman Powell is now the second longest tenured player on the team and he has only been on the roster since 2015.

February 8, 2019 @ 4:02 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Brian,

I would have had no problem with a JV/Gasol 1 for 1. Gasol is a better palyer for sure, but he's also MUCH older and probably on the downside. JV still has plenty of upside and much more affordable. So to throw in CJ (no big loss) AND Delon AND a pick, I don't care how low the pick is, it just seems like an overpay.

I'm sure much of it has to do with equalling salaries, but don't tell me the Raptors couldn't use Delon Wright...especially when Lowry's back is so suspect.

The trade will ultimately be judged based on the post-season but I just don't see the improvement being major enough to warrant leaving the roster as thin as it is right now. I think the shot in the arm the Raptors would have gotten getting JV back would have really propelled them. They were at their best when he was in the line-up earlier this season.

February 9, 2019 @ 12:24 PM