Mark Hollis, Dead at 64

Mark HollisMark Hollis was 64. He was the co-founder, lead singer and main songwriter of the band Talk Talk who had hits like "It's My Life" and "Life's What You Make It".

bsmntdwllr73

Already posted about this in the Open Mike section but it is certainly worth repeating
here. One of the finest British bands of the 1980s and undoubtedly a major admitted
influence on the likes of Guy Garvey from Elbow. "The Colour of Money" from 1986
is definitely one of my Top 10 Desert Island/Dank Parkdalian Basement greatest albums of all
time selections, And the bootleg live album from that particular tour ("London 1986") might
actually be an even better representation of that particular time period, R.I.P.

February 25, 2019 @ 3:21 PM

wade

Indeed.

Both these songs were important to me at that stage of my life. Really liked Talk Talk.

February 25, 2019 @ 3:45 PM

Sandra

Wow sad news. I was just listening to The color of Spring on the weekend, remarking how it still sounds fresh for a 33 year old album,

February 25, 2019 @ 8:31 PM

MrTwister

well that caps a shitty mid-winter monday. what a strange and special talent Mark was. I hope that my gut is off and it was a natural occurrence, and that he is at peace now in another world. RIP Mark.

February 25, 2019 @ 11:03 PM

bsmntdwllr73

With full appreciation to 12:36 once again for providing the link on his highly tuned-in Twitter feed, I
just listened to the Tea Party's killer, 16(!!) year-old version of Talk Talk's immortal "Life's What You Make It." Fantastic stuff, and a shame that it took M. Hollis' passing for it to have been made public,
unless it previously existed as a B-side or Japanese/European bonus track?!?

February 26, 2019 @ 10:18 AM

CK

The album "It's My Life", saved my life.
So screwed up in my early 20's with relationships, Mark and the band's talents on that album brought a light to guide me through my insanity.
I'll be forever grateful for their music. Every album opened my eyes and widened my appreciation of what music could mean.
Monumental.......
Always desperately hoping he would come out of retirement with more magnificent music.
Gutted that hope is forever gone.
Thank you Mark for my sanity.

March 1, 2019 @ 1:00 AM