Roy Halladay Inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame

Doc Halladay, who passed away in November 2017, has been elected into the baseball Hall of Fame. He's the first player drafted and developed by the Blue Jays to be inducted.

I have no doubts he'll go into Cooperstown as a Toronto Blue Jay. He's the greatest starting pitcher in Blue Jays history and I absolutely loved watching his entire career. We were lucky to have him. Here are a few of entries I wrote over the years about Roy Halladay:

dale

Well deserved but he will be not attending wearing a BJ cap as a family member will make the very emotional speech on his behalf.
RIP ROY you deserve this honor

January 22, 2019 @ 7:10 PM

Rick

I was there for the last game of 1998. Always wanted to see a no-hitter. Little did I know what a star he was going to become! I sure hope he goes in as a Jay.

January 23, 2019 @ 7:53 AM

@Rick

I was at that last game of '98, too.

So close!

January 23, 2019 @ 8:10 AM

Urooj Islam

Rob J's beloved Mike Mussina got in as well, but he is nowhere to be found to celebrate. :(

I always said that I would go to the Hall of Fame inductions of the two Toronto athletes that brought me the most positive memories, Vince Carter and Roy Halladay and I hope to follow through on that starting this summer.

Although, there will be a ton of annoying Yankee fans in Cooperstown with Mariano Rivera and Mike Mussina going in, hopefully there are some nice Blue Jays fans and Mariners fans (due to Edgar Martinez getting in) to offset all the Yankee fans.

January 23, 2019 @ 3:30 PM

Remember Bob Elliott's excellent piece about Roy Halladay following his death?

It included this nugget:

This off season he wanted to work with Blue Jays minor leaguers. He applied -- yes Roy Halladay was made to apply for a job with the Blue Jays -- with the high performance committee.

And then the decision whether to hire him was kicked upstairs.

The Jays did not hire him. Instead, he was re-hired by the Phillies to work with their young pitchers.

Today we learned from Roy's wife and sons that he would be going into the Hall of Fame not as a Blue Jay but without a logoed cap.

Objectively, Roy should go in as a Blue Jay. We drafted him and developed him, and he played the bulk of his career here, including his best seasons. Had the family not made this request, the hall would have put him in a Jays cap, no doubt about it.

I'm naturally curious if there wasn't some falling out between Roy and our current management that's acting as the impetus for this Halladay family decision today.

January 23, 2019 @ 7:16 PM

twins from bolton

With the Halladay family suggesting Roy going into HOF with a generic cap? Cannot believe this decision by the family.
I'm at a loss for words, The HOF committee will decide which cap he will be wearing.
Gotta be a BJ cap. AGREE?

January 23, 2019 @ 7:19 PM

Ryan in Kitchener

I seriously doubt the committee would take a side against his family. If his family is saying non-logo, I would imagine Roy himself had made his feelings clear about the organization after he was snubbed re: training position. Can't say I'd blame him.

Too bad, he's the Blue Jays' GOAT for sure.

January 23, 2019 @ 8:24 PM

andrew

@Ryan in Kitchener
IMOI Roy was 2nd to Robbie Alomar as the Blue Jays GOAT of all time although Roy was drafted & played for the Jays during his illustrious career & also a Phillie whereby he was the best player on the team during his time there also.
From what I understand the BBHOF make a decision on what hat Roy wears on his plaque,
Regardless Roy was a Hall of Famer.

January 23, 2019 @ 10:45 PM

Barry

I think it's okay for Jays fans to be deeply disappointed with the cap decision -- after all, we've only had one player go in as a Jay, and it seemed a certainty Roy would go in as a Jay rather than a Phillie. We never considered the "no team" option because of Roy's public statements about his desires.

But, in fairness, the family knew him better than we did. Whether his public comments were merely pandering, or whether his mind changed in the last year of his life, we don't know -- but his family would have a good sense of that.

Personally, I find it very disappointing, but nothing to be angry about. The family's wishes should be honoured and we should respect their decision.

If there's a silver lining, it's that we don't have to worry about a Hall of Fame plaque that has a cap from the team's ugly-logo period. No T-Bird, no J-Bird, no Giant-Leaf-Atrocity.

January 24, 2019 @ 10:52 AM

@Barry

Worst logo era in Toronto sports... and that includes the early Raptors years.

January 24, 2019 @ 10:59 AM

Barry

I went to Jays Shop at Eaton's the day the new logo was officially released. It was packed, and there were people practically weeping with joy that the logo nightmare was over. I've never seen people so moved over a new logo.

January 24, 2019 @ 11:10 AM

Aidan

I have the J-bird logo tattooed quite large on my upper arm.

January 24, 2019 @ 3:10 PM

Patrick

As a long time Blue Jays fan I am very happy to hear a Jay is getting into the Hall of Fame and yet I'm very disappointed to hear that Halladay is likely in without a team.

Can't help but have the tinfoil hat thought that this is someone within the Hall of Fame or MLB itself putting pressure on the family to have him go in as a Philly and not a Blue Jay. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if the real reason was that the Halladay family didn't want to offend either Toronto or Philadelphia and felt this was the best way to deal with it.

If there was bitterness towards Toronto because of how (once again) Shapiro handled Roy's wish to join the staff wouldn't he just go in as a Philly? That's why I suspect it's something else and something as simple as not wanting to offend anyone.

January 24, 2019 @ 3:25 PM

@Patrick

But the family doesn't want him to go in as a Phillie, they want him to go in without a team cap.

January 24, 2019 @ 3:38 PM

Barry

Patrick, I don't think the Hall of Fame would have been pressuring anyone, particularly to go in as a Phillie over a Blue Jay. Historically, the Hall has only gone against a player's wishes when the player's wish was for the less-logical team. Gary Carter, for example, wanted to go in as a Met, but the Hall ruled that his best years, by far, were as an Expo. Wade Boggs (allegedly) wanted to go in as a Devil Ray, where he spent the last year of his career. The Hall wasn't going to do that.

In general, the Hall puts a player in for the team they played with the most, and the team with which they became a star. The only iffy situation I can recall was Winfield going in as a Padre, when he played more years, and had more "fame" as a Yankee. But two things played into that: one was that there was ugliness between the Yankees and Winfield that was so fierce that Steinbrenner was banned from baseball for a period; the other was that Winfield was a legit star in his years as a Padre, and was already one of the game's greats before becoming a Yankee. (And he only played one more year as a Yankee anyway.)

But the Hall has never done anything as extraordinary as putting a player in for a team with which he played one third of the amount of time as another, so I think we can be assured that there was no monkey business on the Hall's part.

January 24, 2019 @ 4:07 PM

J

How much precedent is there for players having a blank cap on their plaque? I only know of Greg Maddux, who was genuinely torn between the team who he started with and became a star with (Chicago) and the team with which he had the most success (Atlanta). Other than that I can't think of any others. There was a case to be made for Vladdy Guerrero to go in with a blank cap before he chose the Angels. But for Halladay it really didn't seem like it should be a split decision as the preponderance of his career and success came with the Blue Jays, even if he also had great years with the Phillies.

January 28, 2019 @ 9:18 AM