My Priorities

It's cold out. How cold is it? It's too cold to bike, and that's a rarity for me.

Since I'm skipping my lunchtime ride today, I thought I'd take the opportunity to write here. I've simply had no time as I've been swamped with TMDS and fatherhood responsibilities. And when I do force myself to take a break, I choose to bike. But not today...

TMDS, as I may have mentioned, is my digital services company that has been feeding my family and paying my mortgage for the past five months. I'm quite pleased with how things are progressing on that front. I learned so much in five months, yet have so much more to learn. I'm very busy, but it's incredibly rewarding and fulfilling and I'm high on the potential I see before me.

If I were to prioritize everything, it would look something like this:

1. My family - I would give up everything for my four kids. In a heartbeat. Everything I do, I do it for them and it would be impossible for me to love them any more than I already do.
  2. My health - Arguably, this could be #1, because without it, I can't be there for my family and help them the way I wish. Perhaps these first two are 1a and 1b. It's vital I do my best to remain physically and mentally healthy.
  3. Self improvement - I want to be the best me I can be. That sounds corny, but at its core is the golden rule. I strive to treat everyone fairly, be as kind as possible and help make this world better, not worse. This matters to me.
  4. Monetary gains - I want/need to earn enough money to provide for my family. With TMDS, I've bet on myself, and all revenue generated is to ensure my four children are given the best opportunity at having a successful life. I don't have rich tastes or extravagant desires, but I've chosen to live and raise my family in Toronto and that means I need to earn a sufficient amount of money. I'm not primarily motivated by money, but I acknowledge the necessary role it plays in my life.
  5. Fun - Let's not confuse fun with happiness. The first four items on this list all contribute to happiness, but fun is playing and watching sports, kicking out the jams, catching a good flick and enjoying our cycling trails. A deep playoff run for the Raps and Leafs would be great fun. Here's hoping.

The clarity I now have with regards to life priorities came with age. You really can't buy experience, and nor can you skip steps to achieve such perspective. On that note, you're never too old to change direction and leave your comfort zone. I have mad respect for people who change professions in their 50s or 60s. I think it's awesome when someone in their 70s takes up running or cycling. If you want to learn woodworking in your 80s, do it! Age ain't nuthin' but a number. I sincerely believe this. As my late grandmother would tell me, age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

If you're keeping score at home, I really dig the Jake Muzzin trade, I'm hoping the Raps land Anthony Davis, even if it means trading away Siakim, and I can't wait for the Vlad Guerrero, Jr. era to begin.

I sincerely like and admire all four of my children. Nothing fills me with more pride than that. The love is so intense, it almost hurts.

I need accounting help... so if you're an accountant or know a good one who will help the sole proprietor of a small business, I'd love to hear from you.

And finally, I'm sorry I haven't had more time to write here. As the podcast has taken off, it's absorbed the vast majority of my Toronto Mike hours. If you're a subscriber, thank you! And if you're a reader of this blog, thank you!

It's 12:15pm, so I'm going to make myself a pizza and get back to work. Peace and love to you all.

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Very well-thought-out and expertly written. Sure do wish I had your drive and determination, but
most days it takes all of my remaining mental energy and stamina just to get out of bed in the morning. The unpleasant stench from the still slightly wet carpets one week on from my small flooding crisis of last week is currently helping as well. Perhaps I'll be reincarnated as a go-getter
in the next life, but sadly since I don't really believe in such fiction, much better chance of a Leafs
Stanley Cup victory!! (Obviously not such a baseless prediction at this point!). Continued kudos
on everything coming together with TMDS.

January 30, 2019 @ 1:08 PM

jj

Love this post. I can imagine it was so scary when you were laid off, and you weren't sure what the next step was and how to take it; now look how far you've come. Only onward and upwards!

Imagine if we did get AD?! LOOOOL. I would die. But I highly doubt he wants to come here, and if he did it would only be for the remainder of this season. I really want the Lakers to tank, because LeBron stans annoy me, so I hope he doesn't get to go there either!

January 30, 2019 @ 1:26 PM

@jj

Rumour is AD definitely wants to play with LeBron and the Lakers!

January 30, 2019 @ 1:28 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Stay dry and warm! That's more than half the battle on a day like today.

January 30, 2019 @ 1:41 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Well, there hasn't been any (excess) apt. water for over a week, so I guess there's that! As for warmth, once I closed my bedroom door and continued to sleep on my all-purpose-couch, I finally felt the
normal, continuous blood flow return to almost all of my most important extremities!!

January 30, 2019 @ 1:49 PM

jj

TM - oh for sure. Everyone wants to play with him, because with the right pieces he can win and win big. Plus Steph and the gang are solid as is. I just really want LeBron to struggle in LA, I'm petty. Love him off the court, but cannot stand his antics on the court.

January 30, 2019 @ 2:02 PM

@jj

Interesting!

I'd like nothing more than a Raps~Lakers NBA finals.

January 30, 2019 @ 2:40 PM

Beatts

Elvis didn't even crack this list!

January 30, 2019 @ 3:25 PM

jj

TM - I am just sick of LeBron tbh. Glad he's in the West!

January 30, 2019 @ 4:25 PM

Maxpower

Family and health... Your kids and famly dont want your stuff they want your time. Be in the moment, listen. Put away your tech.. Play board games, have fun....

January 30, 2019 @ 5:58 PM

Max power

I might add... I never heard anybody on their death bed declare " i should have worked more!"

January 30, 2019 @ 5:59 PM

Alex

I loved this post. It’s honest, forthright and provides an explanation as to why there’s been a slight slowdown (albeit from a prolific rate) in the number of podcasts being produced.

What I loved about it the most is that people can learn from this exercise - an exercise I’m currently undertaking. Once you’ve got your core, or priorities, defined it provides clarity and a filter to which you can make deliberate decisions. And it provides a helpful insight as to how you go about your podcast and blog.

Thanks!

January 30, 2019 @ 7:05 PM

Alex

BTW... you have to get on-board with Hebsy and Brady, and support Tottenham Hotspur. Surprised you haven’t picked a football team given all the hype from the English run in the World Cup.

January 30, 2019 @ 7:07 PM

@Alex

I wouldn't even know how to pick a football team. I've always rooted for the home team, except in the NFL when I used to root for the Bills. But the Bills were essentially our home team because Steve Tasker was all over my TV that was getting the Buffalo stations over the air.

I'm happy Hebsy and Brady are happy, but I'm going to pass. Strictly an MLS / Euro / World Cup man am I.

January 30, 2019 @ 7:48 PM

@ellebeevee

Lovely post Mike. So right about never being too old to change direction. At 51, I decided to go back to school and I have never been happier. Life seems way more interesting now.

January 30, 2019 @ 8:39 PM

the brother

Good post for Let's Talk Day! I suggested your services to someone that was considering dabbling in podcasting. Hope they take you up on it! Cheers

January 30, 2019 @ 9:43 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

With writing like this Mike, I hope we get to have some more extreme cold weather days, I can take it!

January 30, 2019 @ 10:53 PM

Your Ward News

Perhaps we could work together?

January 31, 2019 @ 12:13 AM

Send me an email, @Your Ward News!

January 31, 2019 @ 7:51 AM

Mississauga Andrew

Continued success. Along with your family, you've created something really beautiful here!

January 31, 2019 @ 4:26 PM

SS

Please don’t work with “your ward news”. Look them up.

February 2, 2019 @ 9:21 PM