Darryl Dahmer Retires After 45 Years on Toronto Radio

Way back in March 2006 I wrote about Darryl Dahmer and Russ Holden. They were reporting traffic in helicopters above this city when I was a kid listening to 680 CFTR. I jokingly wondered if they might be the same person.

Russ Holden retired in 2017 after 50 years at the same station, and today Darryl Dahmer called it a career after 45 years on Toronto Radio. Darryl could be heard on 680 from the 1970s until today. That's pretty remarkable.

On Monday morning, for the first time in my life, Toronto radio will be without Darryl Dahmer and Russ Holden.

bsmntdwllr73

Time to farm out the local helicopter traffic reports to drones being operated by folks overseas
completely unfamiliar with local roads, streets and highways!! Never learned to drive due to extreme
clumsiness and poor vision, but very familiar with the fine work of both of these gentlemen, thanks
to both TV and the radio. Currently spinning "Helicopter" by Bloc Party (in their collective honour)
on Youtube. Hope Darryl enjoys his well-deserved retirement.

January 25, 2019 @ 2:14 PM

dale

When I was working Darryl was my choice for traffic in the morning & coming home at night. He sure made my drive much easier with his traffic reports on the 10's on 680 News.
Enjoy Darryl.

January 25, 2019 @ 2:22 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Darryl has been giving traffic reports from as far back as I can remember driving.

@bsmntdwllr73, I thik there is already a 3rd party service that 1010 and a few other radio stations are currently using.

January 25, 2019 @ 5:55 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

Definitely. In fact, I know of at least one deep-voiced reader of this blog who works for that service!

January 25, 2019 @ 7:03 PM

JAI

THE CFTR Listeners will remember Daryl was an integral part of the Mike Cooper's stupid joke of the
day he had a fun run working with some of the finest radio broadcasters DJ ever ON THE morning and afternoon drive on CFTR.

January 25, 2019 @ 9:13 PM

Doug

Wow, that commercial is from 2002?? Feels like just yesterday!

January 26, 2019 @ 4:59 PM

Keiron Forbes

This man, Darryl was good. I trusted his voice, even though I did not drive. It's too bad he left 680 News. But he deserves his retirement. May God bless his soul and keep him safe in the future years. Thank you, Darryl for the voice you use, and guiding drivers through rush hour traffic, and pointing out accidents and heavy traffic.

January 26, 2019 @ 10:17 PM

Jean

Why haven’t we heard fro Darryl? Maybe he wasn’t ready to go...

January 27, 2019 @ 1:49 PM

@Jean

He's definitely been uber shy here. Bill Brioux has a little more about that here in which he writes this about Darryl: "The man makes another pilot, Howard Hughes, look like a fame-seeking publicity whore." https://brioux.tv/2019/01/680-skymaster-darryl-dahmer-hits-the-road/

January 27, 2019 @ 2:28 PM