Breaking My Trump Silence

I have not written a word about Donald Trump since his inauguration. In fact, I've written about him only once since he was elected. That entry is here.

I personally find Trump as POTUS so distasteful and disappointing, I can't write about it. Remember when everyone was loving Alec Baldwin's portrayal of Trump on SNL? I couldn't watch. I find nothing funny about any of this, because the stakes are too damn high.

So why am I breaking my Trump silence and writing about him today? Because he's finally done something completely ridiculous and tone deaf that's equally harmless. This story doesn't end with anyone being deported or killed and doesn't infringe on anyone's freedom or rights. I'd insert a joke about one's rights to a healthy, decent meal, but this surreal happening was 100% optional for all attendees.

The NCAA champion Clemson Tigers football team were welcomed to the White House by Trump who greeted them with fast food. There was McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Burger King and Dominos served on silver platters, behind a gilded candelabra.

cold

A few thoughts immediately come to mind:

1. Imagine how cold that fast food was by the time the team got to eat. I personally need my McDonald's fries to be piping hot and fresh from the vat. This food must have been room temperature when the players got to it.
  2. Trump is using the Lincoln silverware and platters... for fast food. There's literally Lincoln gravy boats filled with Chicken McNugget sauces... in their plastic containers. That's ludicrous and perhaps as perfect a symbol of this administration's two years in power as anything I've seen yet.
  3. Close your eyes and imagine for a moment if Obama did this. Imagine Obama serving the national champions fast food burgers.
  4. Trump has been in power for two years now. Where on the list of Trump controversies would you rank this? Does it even crack the top 100?
When asked why he went with fast food, Trump said it was because the team featured "very large people that like eating." On that note, we now return to not writing about Trump.

Rob

See here's the simple fact Mike that everyone is aware of (both GOP and DEMS, as well as the rest of the world) the "so-called" US president is foremost a constant attention seeker. He knew 100% that the media and everyone else would comment about his latest stunt. All in all, more higher ratings for the media talking heads on all networks and more free 24/7 publicity for the Trump-a-dump.

January 16, 2019 @ 9:18 AM

jj

Rob - I was disappointed that American networks aired his speech last week. Disgusting.

January 16, 2019 @ 9:59 AM

Rob

I and many others agree JJ but wouldn't it be a royal hoot (but will never happen) if all the networks (both American and international) decided to totally ignore and not air his upcoming State of the Union speech! One can only dream, eh? :-)

January 16, 2019 @ 10:06 AM

@jj

But that's the Trump Paradox I wrote about here: https://www.torontomike.com/2017/01/the_trump_paradox.html

I totally understand why the networks aired that speech. The man does not deserve our respect, but the office demands it.

January 16, 2019 @ 10:15 AM

Rob

The office of the president may demand respect but it's a 2-way street to make this rule stick but the occupant of that office (whomever s\he is) has to initially and continually earn it. Also, with regard to speeches, this so-called "rule" does not obligate full blind observance. Case in point, in 2014 the networks decided to not air one of Obama's speeches. Unlike Trump, however, Obama didn't take observable offense nor excessively whine about it like we know that this guy would definitely do if it involved him. The man hates criticism, either directly or indirectly addressed towards him.

January 16, 2019 @ 10:31 AM

m m

On a very long list of lows, this seems to fall down the list when compared to kids in cages and/or dead, and acting against the interests of his own country. This does not wash off quickly. And the alternative is a character straight out of The Handmaid's Tale. Very serious and scary times.

January 16, 2019 @ 10:33 AM

jj

Rob - I WISH! Ha!

TM - they didn't seem to mind not respecting the office when Obama was in it, there was mention of a few speeches he made that did not air. So this is no different, but obviously different. Ugh.

January 16, 2019 @ 10:36 AM

@jj

I suppose when the POTUS is the star of a reality show that keeps getting crazier and crazier, it's tough to choose not to air it. I'm with you, it would have been great if they had.

On this note... I just want to give some love to the excellent coverage I've been seeing on PBS. In the spring I "downsized" my cable package and no longer get CNN. When it comes to the midterm elections or this speech, I've been turning to PBS and they are refreshingly fact-based and frank. They really do a good job, and if you want good analysis, try them next time there's a big US story.

January 16, 2019 @ 10:52 AM

Rob

I rarely watch any cable tv at all, preferring instead to cherry-pick watch offerings from all networks (both local and international) on the web, at times best suiting my convenience. More and more people are saving money and "cutting the cord" these days.

January 16, 2019 @ 11:04 AM

jj

TM - I should give them a whirl, I love public stations! The media cannot look away, I understand but tell the truth. Call a spade a spade. The man in the office does not bring it any respect, and so it should be mostly ignored.

Rob - we only have basic + news channels and it's still $65 a month, smh. I stream everything, and have Netflix. Couldn't ask for more. As it is, I watch the same stuff over and over again.

January 16, 2019 @ 11:13 AM

H.o.E.

Awaiting typical angry rube response calling everyone a 'snowflake' in 3, 2, 1 ...

January 16, 2019 @ 11:58 AM

@Rob

I'd very much like to cut the cord, but I enjoy live sports and find it more expensive to subscribe to the various streaming services. So I still pay for cable (although a lower lier then I used to).

January 16, 2019 @ 12:46 PM

Justin

Those who frequent this space know my opinion on Trump, the Fords, etc. so not going to get into that here.

But I will say this: I found the fast food stunt to be hilarious. It was quintessential Trump - breaking social norms, making a media circus out of it, driving his opponents crazy.

College students love fast food. How many of us have dreaded going to an extremely formal dinner, hoping the food wouldn't be too crazy fancy? How many many of us have been absolutely delighted at weddings when fries, grilled cheeses, or burgers are brought out? And who doesn't love fast food? Every single one of those players is going to be talking about their epic fast food buffet at the white house for the rest of their lives.

I saw this to be good lighthearted fun by the President. The outrage over it has been over-the-top.

January 16, 2019 @ 1:13 PM

Greg

Mike, do you have any control over the ads served on your site? When I loaded this blog entry I got one of those fake 'Ron McLean ousted from broadcast' ads. The link goes to an online store selling vases (or something like that.)

January 16, 2019 @ 1:30 PM

@Greg

These are Google Adsense ads. I can't control what displays, but I'm able to suppress certain companies / industries.

The problem with those "X quits, learn why" ads (and Bell Media can't even figure out how to stop them - poor Marilyn) is that we can't figure out where they're coming from, which makes it tough to block them.

January 16, 2019 @ 1:51 PM

@Rob

I just read Pelosi has disinvited Trump from delivering his "State of the Union" address to Congress... quite the power move from Nancy!

January 16, 2019 @ 1:52 PM

jj

James - I am sure they will remember the visit. But how can people demand respect for his office in one breath, then he can make fun of it, and make a joke of it in the next?

Obama never would have lived this down that is for sure.

January 16, 2019 @ 1:55 PM

Anonymous

I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing Trump presidency bio pics. I imagine they might come even before one on Obama. There's just so much material to choose from - a scriptwriter's dream.

January 16, 2019 @ 2:03 PM

Rob

@TorontoMike

Yes, I just read about it as well (and well within her legislative control to play that card). Earlier I read where she had asked Trump to re-open Gov't before giving the State of the Union address or else issue it only in written form - the reasoning being: since the Gov't was shut down, there was insufficient funds available to provide adequate secret service protection for all those politicians who would otherwise be attending the State of the Union address.

What Trump is starting to realize is that in the US there exists equal power between the Senate, the House, as well as the Executive (ie., President). All of which just goes to prove my current observation of something ongoing: The Rise and Fall of the American Empire

January 16, 2019 @ 2:20 PM

Anonymous

Them kids put on three-piece suits and got on a plane for a junior bacon cheeseburger.

— Victoria M. Walker (@vikkie) January 14, 2019
January 16, 2019 @ 2:48 PM

Mississauga Rob

I am fascinated by how many non-US citizens get bent out of shape over Trump (or Obama for that matter). We have no control over their actions and for the most part, unless they start a war with Canada, the decisions they make there have direct impact on my day-to-day life.

I watch him like how people are drawn to look at a car accident.

My 2 cents however about his tenure. Before the term is out, he will resign. He will do that because of impending legal action. Soon after Pence takes office, Trump will be pardoned. I honestly did not think Trump would even take office 2 years ago as I thought this whole thing was a stunt to prove that even he could be elected.

Don't sweat Trump.

January 16, 2019 @ 3:29 PM

@Mississauga Rob

This is the only Trump-related entry in 2 years!

January 16, 2019 @ 3:34 PM

Rob

"We have no control over their actions and for the most part, unless they start a war with Canada, the decisions they make there have (no?) direct impact on my day-to-day life."

Maybe not impacting our lives but I've read about a number of other Canadians who are impacted:
Trump's imposition of Steel and Aluminum tariffs on Canada.
Trump's pressure on Canada when renegotiating NAFTA to have Canada's dairy farmer subsidies reduced.
The US issuing a warrant and asking Canada to extricate the CFO daughter of the founder of Chinese company Huawei, resulting in China then arresting several Canadians (and lately announcing the death sentence for one of them).
Otherwise, yup let's ignore Trump - nothing to worry about.

Trump won't resign -
(1) to resign would imply defeat and
(2) as president, he feels safe from legal threat but once not president, citizen Trump (and his crooked friends & family) become a #1 target for criminal orange jumpsuits!

January 16, 2019 @ 5:04 PM

Dr. Seymour Light

If you get your news from newspapers, TV or radio, it is hard not to ask “What is going on in the world today?” The answer usually boils down to some simple, yet complex issues.

1. We are losing our sense of reason and respectful debate. Instead, there is a growing base of individuals and groups who have developed a tunnel vision focus that does not allow for anyone to disagree with them for any reason, even if it is reasonable and factual.

2. Political correctness and a rise in Social Justice issues are out of control, and creates a lot of unnecessary stories for people to get riled up over. This has created a forum for journalists and media talking heads to create and push their own narrative and opinions rather than covering and reporting the facts of the stories. Creates uninformed division to those who believe only what they read or who they like.

If you are feeling overwhelmed, suggest you do not speak to anyone, do not watch, listen or read any news, and you will be just fine.

January 16, 2019 @ 5:38 PM

Jillian

With all the idiotic things Trump has done over the past 2 years this is so insignificant.
It kind of fits with his personality and is generally harmless.
I'm surprised you would choose this event to write your one and only Trump post!

January 16, 2019 @ 7:15 PM

chris

I cannot believe all the shenanigans Trump has done with his tweets & behavior. How can he still be in power. His term has been a $h!t show from day 1 when only a few watched his inauguration.
Will either be impeached or quit B4 next term. How many political people he had on his staff have quit or has been fired from this inept @SSh0lE because they didn't condone to his beliefs or strategies?
No wonder Y the Washington Caps. didn't even consider going to WHouse?
McD's, Wendys, Burger King & pizza? Trumpy will have left overs for the next 2 weeks.

January 16, 2019 @ 8:16 PM

Broni

I see that the White House buys their BBQ lighters at Dollarama just like I do.

January 16, 2019 @ 9:02 PM

andrew

Truly embarrassing. No wonder why no champ. teams in their sports neglect to attend.
Lunchables are cheaper Donnie!!

January 16, 2019 @ 9:09 PM

Axll

I am enjoying how you Mike and your fellow lefty commenters are freaking out..Its why I love Trump bring on more outrage and SJW stupidity

January 16, 2019 @ 9:46 PM

markosaar

@Axll,

How do you feel about Gillette's new ad?

January 16, 2019 @ 10:53 PM

Gare

Looking forward to your comment section being over-run with pro-Trump Russian bots

January 17, 2019 @ 6:13 AM

@Jillian

That's precisely why I wrote about it.

January 17, 2019 @ 6:59 AM

Ryan in Kitchener

So this publicity stunt got someone who hasn't wrote a word about Trump in two years to write an entire post about him on something that is essentially meaningless? How many others took the bait? I'd bet Trump side is saying "mission accomplished" about now.

January 17, 2019 @ 8:13 AM

@Ryan in Kitchener

If the POTUS's mission was to get a Toronto blogger to write about him after two years of silence, he did indeed accomplish that mission. I'll bet he slept well last night!

January 17, 2019 @ 8:24 AM

Dr. Seymour Light

@markosaar - Heard all the chatter about the Gillette ad and just watched it. Interesting marketing strategy by Gillette, they gain a huge top of mind win and can claim a moral victory. Personally, I do not see anything controversial about it. Basically telling men you are stronger and better than certain stereotype portrayals. I suppose, the only fault I could find in the ad is the same applies to woman as well.

January 17, 2019 @ 9:57 AM

Mississauga Rob

@ ROB

Greed that some of Trump's tariffs have had an impact on Canadian firms. However, we need to get our own protectionist heads out of our collective asses with regard to these things. If we need to compete in an international marketplace, relying on government subsidies only harms us in the end. The milk marketing boards are a perfect example of out-dated protectionists to subsidize an industry that sells it product for less than it costs to produce.

I am not saying ignore Trump, heaven knows he is an act to follow. But I do not let his actions get me worked up. I still stand by my statement and he will not complete this term. He will resign for reasons that can be spun to appear that he won and is a winner.

January 17, 2019 @ 10:36 AM

Jai

It is amazing how Canadians get so worked up about Trump and US Politics
but not a word about the incompetent leader we have in Ottawa .If you understand
US politrics The Democrats and US insiders hate the fact an out sider dare interfere
in their cushion life style who don't give a damn about the average American.Well so
far he has kept most of his election promises name a politician who has done that in
Ottawa..Doug Ford Haters would like to compare him to Trump well he is doing just
fine..for those of who loved Kathleen Wynn and THE NDPS good Luck. Because they
are here for some time. Keep watching the CBC,CNN and reading the Toronto Star NYT

January 17, 2019 @ 2:07 PM

Jai

It is amazing how Canadians get so worked up about Trump and US Politics
fine..for those of who loved Kathleen Wynn and THE NDPS good Luck. Because they

January 17, 2019 @ 2:07 PM

markosaar

LOL at the bot. Politrics indeed.

January 17, 2019 @ 2:42 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Glad to see that all my four major food groups/fast food outlets were covered in this proud
photo. Hope Mr. Drumpf and his over-burdened fart catchers were able to secure themselves
some of that very exclusive Szechuan Nugget-Dipping Sauce, especially if its vintage dates back to
the release of Disney's Mulan in '98!!! Wouldn't be pretty or too prudent if The Donald's crooked
house of cards collapsed to due to mass-food-poisoning of some folks' cherished college football
team. And, yes, I still do Remember The Titans. Go Denzel!!

January 18, 2019 @ 9:57 AM