The Ugly, the Bad, and the Good

2018 was a year of personal growth, and as it comes to a close, I'm awfully proud of where I'm at heading into 2019. I have four healthy, smart and sweet kids, a strong and healthy marriage, a personal best for KMs biked and I'm feeling great physically and psychologically.

It wasn't all wine and roses, however... here's the good, the bad, and the ugly, but to end on a positive note, it's the ugly, the bad, and the good.

The Ugly

The last thing I expected heading into 2018 is that I'd be unfairly shit on by Dean Blundell. That was ugly. I plan to leave that garbage in 2018.

With that Blundell crap came trolling, but not from Blundell supporters. It's coming from Doug Thompson and his "yellow board" friends and I'm not quite sure why. Luckily, I have industrial strength scrub brushes and am determined to persevere.

The Bad

The Molly Johnson episode was bad. Her attitude threw me off my game and I wasn't able to do my thing. At least I learned a great deal from it and am a better host today because of what happened in episode 368.

The Mike Stafford incident was unfortunate, because I thoroughly enjoyed both his visits and have always been a fan. The question I asked Lou Schizas that set Stafford off is a question I'd ask him again, so I'm not sure I could have avoided this conflict. It was pretty innocuous, and not worthy of my new "turd in a basement" moniker.

I was restructured out of a full time gig I'd had for seven years. I received a stellar review just a week before hearing the news and was literally told my job was moving to Atlanta. That made it easy to not take it personally, but it still sucked.

The Good

There was plenty of good in 2018. As mentioned, my family is healthy and well-adjusted, I'm feeling good and the aforementioned restructuring led me to begin the next chapter in my life.

I launched my own digital services company. TMDS has been my sole source of income for four months now and it's been a wonderfully rewarding experience. I'm learning so much as I build this business from scratch, and I'm incredibly optimistic about what's in store for 2019. I'm striving to continuously improve Toronto Mike'd, passionate about helping others podcast, and continuing to provide digital marketing services and content to a variety of different businesses. And most importantly, I'm responsible for my own calendar and betting on myself.

That's a quick summary of the good, bad and ugly I experienced in 2018, but I'm jazzed about what's around the corner in 2019. Happy new year to each and every one of you, and thanks for your continued support!

Jody Thornton

Happy New Year Mike! Proud to know someone who's really doing something on their own with TMDS.

December 31, 2018 @ 10:31 AM

Rob J

This is why I could never be a public figure. The fact that you are so honest about the bad/ugly and not just the good is commendable. Too many people exaggerate the good in their lives and employ selective amnesia when it comes to the negatives.
I’m glad I made my way back to the TM Universe last fall, and I wish you and all the ‘regulars, all the best in 2019.

December 31, 2018 @ 11:05 AM

susan

Happy 2019 to you Mike!

Just keep on truckin' as they used to say! Those of us who follow your podcasts truly appreciate what you're doing. Nobody has a trouble free life, NOBODY!!

Cheers

December 31, 2018 @ 12:26 PM

@Rob J

We treat our YBS fans with the utmost respect, as there are so few!

December 31, 2018 @ 12:27 PM

jj

Happy New Year! Wishing you another year full of success and all good things.

December 31, 2018 @ 12:27 PM

@jj

Thank you!!! Now come to TMLX3!

December 31, 2018 @ 12:33 PM

jj

The first TML I was shy, the second I think I had plans or was shy. Maybe 3rd time is the charm?!

December 31, 2018 @ 12:40 PM

dale

All the best to everyone in 2019 & Mike keep up the great work you do for all of us.

December 31, 2018 @ 1:22 PM

@dale

Thanks for your support, Dale!

@jj

No need to be shy... I'll sit you at the table with Lieve Famke, Urooj Islam and Beatts.

December 31, 2018 @ 1:25 PM

LieveFamke

@jj, Mike responded too fast, I was going to invite you to sit with me and MooseGrumpy (if she comes)

@mike, keep up the great work! Happy New Year to you and your family!

December 31, 2018 @ 2:23 PM

@LieveFamke

Happy New Year!

December 31, 2018 @ 2:29 PM

Urooj Islam

You can't take these "beefs" with old school talk radio guys too seriously. Their entire careers are built on playing characters and maintaining that illusion (kayfabe as you and elvis recently discussed) and their instinct is to talk about it publicly and play it up.

It's not real life.

December 31, 2018 @ 2:40 PM

@Urooj

With both Stafford and Blundell, I'm pretty sure it's real life. At least I'm not in on the bit if it's not authentic. Both sure feel real.

December 31, 2018 @ 2:56 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Mike, you recorded over a hundred, yes, a hundred podcasts in 2018. While some were repeat guests, either for another deep dive or kicking out their jams, you had many first-timers, and for your ugly and bad to be so limited, and only one from a direct podcast, which was Molly Johnson's, you should realize that you have done so much good work, that they are inconsequential. Yes, you can use it as a learning opportunity and personal growth, but I would just treat them as a hockey game when you get killed 10-0, and the coach does not even show the gametape the next day, but chalks it off to a one-off, and moves on.

You should have done it the Sergio Leone way, calling it The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, as the Good makes up tons more than the rest.

Happy New Year to you, your beautiful family, and to all of your other supporters and listeners. This passion project is a group effort, and we got your back!

December 31, 2018 @ 3:20 PM

Phil

Even some of the bad and ugly side may be a plus, in that you’re making enough waves to be attacked. Not that you should become the podcasted equivalent of pro-wrestling, but I think the fact that so many people reference you means something. Good work this year Mike, and I’d especially like to point out the extremely well done and revealing Scott Moore episode.

December 31, 2018 @ 3:59 PM

@Brian

I saw your "you recorded over a hundred" opening and decided to get the exact number. 118 numbered episodes! Thanks for sponsoring every single one of them!

Happy New Year!

December 31, 2018 @ 4:25 PM

jj

LieveFamke - Ooh, table mates I am down!

Ok, so I should be able to come barring some kind of Raptors huge game, or some earth shattering life event otherwise!

December 31, 2018 @ 4:42 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

That's radio kayfabe for you, to make you believe there is a feud. None would say anything like that to you privately.

What you need to worry about is their weirdo fans who also get hoodwinked by the kayfabe.

December 31, 2018 @ 4:48 PM

@Urooj

So that is how you spell kayfabe! You just taught me something...

December 31, 2018 @ 4:55 PM

@jj

I will aim to scheduled TMLX3 after the NBA finals so there's no interference with the Raptors game.

December 31, 2018 @ 4:56 PM

jj

TM - ooooh, ok!

December 31, 2018 @ 5:09 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

Then maybe it's time to have John Pollock and Wai Ting of POST Wrestling on the podcast in 2019?

They can also explain kayfabe to you. :)

One of the better Toronto podcast success stories of the last decade, really successful Patreon, etc.

December 31, 2018 @ 6:33 PM

dale

Forgot to mention earlier that traditions with New Years was something special. Just after the stroke of midnight we as a family would throw an onion out of our house "for no more tears in coming year" & other was us as kids couldn't take a bath or shower New Years Eve as wash away the old & wash with the new on New Years Day.
That was in late 60's, but I'm sure times have changed.

December 31, 2018 @ 7:51 PM

@Urooj

I remember Jason Agnew explaining it all to me once. As a big 80s WWF fan, I know the score!

December 31, 2018 @ 8:25 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Dale, interesting traditions!
All the best in 2019 Mike to you and your family.

December 31, 2018 @ 9:40 PM

Chuck 99

I agree that your most of your comments and questions outlined in the bad and the ugly did not warrant such objectionable responses. Perhaps many former and current participants in terrestrial radio are worried about their own futures and perceive podcasters like yourself as unwelcome competition.

I have to admit, I cringed when I heard the Diva-like reference in the Molly Johnson episode even though one might argue that it was justified because she was being arrogant.

Anyway Mike, all the best in 2019 and keep up the great work.

January 1, 2019 @ 1:25 AM

Moosegrumpy

@LieveFamke @JJ

I'll be at TMLX3 for sure and as fellow shy person would love to sit with you. LieveFamke is the sweetest and takes us shy people under her wing beautifully. JJ, you will be welcomed and well looked after!

@Mike Happy New Year to you and your family. Looking forward to seeing what 2019 brings for you.

January 1, 2019 @ 11:26 AM

@Moosegrumpy

Happy New Year!

January 1, 2019 @ 2:33 PM

jj

Moosegrumpy - :) can't wait!

January 1, 2019 @ 3:55 PM