Burt Reynolds, Dead at 82

Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds was 82. He starred in TV shows such as Gunsmoke and Dan August before starring in movies such as Deliverance, The Longest Yard, Smokey and the Bandit, Striptease and Boogie Nights.

burt-reynolds.jpg

bsmntdwllr73

One of the few (if any) Burt Reynolds memories from my childhood involved sneaking a mini-tape
recorder into a second run theatre in North York called The Willow, and secretly taping Menudo's(!!)
end theme song to the vastly inferior "Cannonball Run 2." The track was called "Like A Cannonball"
and most of the lyrics other than the chorus were quite unintelligible. Of course, their rather limited
teen-aged grasp of English was a hell of a lot better than my non-existent Spanish, which to this
day still solely consists of Un-P.C. impersonations of Speedy Gonzales (and total mispronouncements
of most traditional items on a Mexican restaurant menu!!). R.I.P.

September 6, 2018 @ 3:38 PM

Beatts

@bsmntdwllr73 if mispronouncements is what you crave, you've found the right podcast!

;)

September 6, 2018 @ 4:19 PM

NG

When I was a kid, we watched Smokey and The Bandit so much that we had to buy a second copy. Thanks for the memories, Mr. Reynolds.

September 6, 2018 @ 4:19 PM

Rush Mike

@bsmntdwllr73 ...funny ...a Burt Reynolds memory from my childhood also includes the Willow Theatre...only it was to see Smokey & The Bandit. Still love that Black Trans Am.

September 6, 2018 @ 4:52 PM

H.o.E.

Nothing to do with B.R., but @bsmntdwllr73 - You had me looking up and watching the first Speedy cartoon. I guess like almost all of those old WB ones, when you see them again for the first time in many years, "un-P.C." is an understatement. Along with the nearly non-stop cartoon violence and ethnic stereotypes, they sometimes also had big slow-witted, injury-causing oafs obviously patterned after the mentally disabled character Lennie from Of Mice and Men.
Wikipedia
George is my friend !

September 6, 2018 @ 5:09 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Rush Mike
My family saw many a fine double-bill at the Willow theatre back in the day!!

September 6, 2018 @ 5:59 PM

Rob J

He was a great guest on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show as well. (I'm not that old but fell down a bit of a Youtube rabbit-hole this evening). He had a quick wit but was also able to laugh at himself and be self-deprecating. RIP to a legend.

September 6, 2018 @ 11:46 PM

chuck99

@Rob J

Yes, he was very amusing when he was a talk show guest. I remember him boasting on the Merv Griffin Show that he was the only actor who starred in shows that got cancelled from every network that existed back then...Hawk (ABC), Dan August (CBS) and Riverboat (NBC). Dan August originally aired on ABC but the reruns were shown by CBS in prime time one summer at the height of his popularity.

September 7, 2018 @ 2:03 PM

JJ

When Men were real Men.

Burt & Dom Deluise were gold.

The Gator movies were great, Deliverance, Semi-Tough, Hooper, etc. He was a great actor & even better real guy with a sarcastic sense of humour.

Loni wasnt for him, he should of seen that. He fell for the beauty. Sally was it. He know he messed up.

September 8, 2018 @ 4:15 PM