Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first. Goody goody gumballs. The only of my teams that played last night was my Diamondbacks and they won. They will be in the World Series with my Indians. My Indians play my Orioles tonight and this weekend. My Indians will win though. My Jose is going to hit tons of doubles and homers like usual. He's so awesome. Well, capchas suck. Of course I'm not a fricken robot. We don't need stupid capchas and if the Terry Fox site doesn't want to get rid of them, there should be a phone number to call in donations. Believe me, there was no audio challenge. Even if there was, it could be mumbled that you can't understand the thing anyway. Capchas should be gone. Even some sighted people hate them.

August 17, 2018 @ 8:12 AM

Beatts

I had to check a box that confirmed I was not a robot.

That was it.

Cheryl, Does the firmware for your circuitry automatically update for daylight savings time?

August 17, 2018 @ 8:17 AM

I'd like to thank the anonymous commenter who left this one on the Molly Johnson entry.

"When one diva dies, another takes her place."

It made me laugh out loud.

August 17, 2018 @ 8:31 AM

Beatts

So who's on your agenda for "people I'm going to piss off today" Mike ? :)

In a perfect world you could have followed up Molly's episode with a Mike Bullard one!

August 17, 2018 @ 9:02 AM

@Beatts

Actually, I'm going to follow up Molly's ep with a short break.

August 17, 2018 @ 10:08 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Got a very late start this morning, so I had the very rare pleasure of walking by the local LCBO
outlet (former location of a very shady funeral home, so insert your own ironic joke ...here...,
if you please!!), as it opened and watched the "regular crowd shuffle in" (Piano Man!!). To
clumsily paraphrase a well-known Pink Floyd lyric, 'Not-so-quiet-drunkenness is the wino way!!!".

@Mike
Enjoy your well-deserved break, you've most certainly earned it!! As far as Bullard goes, Beatts
might very well be on to something. An interview with that stellar professional just might break
the Interwebs even more than Kim K's nude tuchus did in Paper magazine back in 2004. Of course,
Mr. B. looks more like a lumpy potato compared to Mrs. Kanye!!! And I can say that as another proud member of the potato look-a-like club!

August 17, 2018 @ 10:26 AM

Diva Beatts

I thought we were supposed to have this Open Mike commence at 8am ?

I was here.

bsmntdwllr73 was too.

Mike rolls in late from his bike ride and doesn't open shop until 8:12am when Cyborg, er sorry Cheryl posts first (breaking Urooj's 13 week consecutive first post streak).

August 17, 2018 @ 11:20 AM

@Diva Beatts

I just laughed out loud again!

And it hurts my ribs when I laugh right now. So thanks for that.

August 17, 2018 @ 11:21 AM

@Diva Beatts
No fair, I was going to call myself bsmntdivadwllr73!! Maybe when I get my official Canadian Order
of the Outhouse soap on a rope commemorative thingamajig, I will actually have the federally-appointed right to do so!!

August 17, 2018 @ 11:23 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Just announced for 2019 "Terminator 6: Destroy All Captchas" Nearly 2 and a half hours of an elderly
Arnold S. doing battle while seated at an old mainframe computer as he is completely confounded
by one captcha challenge after another. Most exciting action film since Sandy Bullock's The Net in
1995!! Remember how pissed people were back then with most of the so-called action taking place
behind computer terminals? Boy, have we fallen a long way since then!! Can almost imagine Doc Brown marshalling up Martin McFly to also make an attempt at eliminating Skyet. What an epic
crossover that would be!! (big dreamers never sleep!!!)

August 17, 2018 @ 11:31 AM

Dawn Keibals

Yipee I am first again.

August 17, 2018 @ 11:37 AM

Blind Diva

Taking the day off work today. Good time to get caught up on the TO Mike'd episodes. I listened to Molly last evening and that was hard. I do not walk in her shoes so I will not be disrespectful, but I give Mike all the credit there is for maintaining his standards of courtesy and professionalism.

Another great hot weekend here in the flatlands. Lots of walking and enjoying the outdoors for the next three days.

August 17, 2018 @ 1:17 PM

LieveFamke

Couldn't beat Cheryl this week.. Had my annual gum surgery this morning (4th one), came home and fell asleep until now.

@Mike, I can share 'some' my T3s and Advil600s.. but I'll need most of them for the next week. Enjoy your week off.

I'm torn, which should I listen to first, Molly or Keith? I usually listen in order, but if Mike is off for a week, I'm wondering if I should keep Keith for last to go out on a high note.

August 17, 2018 @ 3:02 PM

Blind Dave

@LieveFamke I had the same Molly or Keith dilemma so I did it on time. Keith is longer and I am more at my leisure today. Yesterday eve was a quick hit so I listened to the Molly ep.

August 17, 2018 @ 3:16 PM

@LieveFamke

Do Molly first, and then cleanse yourself with some Keith.

I hope you feel better soon! I took two days off of biking, and now the bruised body has left "acute pain" and entered "hurts so good" territory.

Except for my right pinky which is still fuct.

August 17, 2018 @ 3:29 PM

@LieveFamke

And when you're done listening to Molly, please leave feedback here: http://www.torontomike.com/2018/08/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_368.html

August 17, 2018 @ 3:30 PM

@LieveFamke

"go out on a high note" reminds me of a moment with my oldest daughter yesterday.

She's had a stomach ache and nausea all week. I took her to the doctor on Wednesday, and the doc thinks it's the stomach flu but wanted to rule some stuff out, so he ordered an ultrasound and bloodwork.

You have to fast 12 hours before this ultrasound, so we scheduled all of this for yesterday afternoon. My daughter has never had bloodwork. She's had vaccination shots, and gets the flu shot every year, but she was pretty spooked by this. So, she asked me to join her in the room with the nurse so I could distract her.

I love Dead Man Walking. I always have. (spoiler alert) There's a scene at the end where Sister Helen Prejean says to Matthew Poncelet this line that I recited to my daughter yesterday just before the nurse inserted the needle. "I want the last face you see in this world to be the face of love, so you look at me when they do this thing. I'll be the face of love for you."

I said it, and it worked. On a related note, my daughter is improving today which is good because I've already paid for a home in Mont Tremblant and it's non-refundable.

August 17, 2018 @ 3:45 PM

Diva from Sudbury

Holy shitballs batman! 80 comments in the MJ podcast thread. That's crazy! Could've swarn there were only about 15 the last time I looked at it which was probably last night, maybe early in the AM. I tried listening to that ep, had my speakers turned up on my pc as I was across the room doing stuff, could hear Mike just fine but not Molly as she was way off mic. After 5 minutes I just got pissed off and shut it off. Gonna tyy again later...but I got a feeling I'm gonna have to play with my volume a bit.

@Mike: If I remember correctly...you were gonna do the Bullard ep but changed your mind right? I don't know, part of me wishes you would've still had him on, I think it would've been an interesting interview.

I'm still curious as to what happened with Ben McVie at Y108. I know he "MeToo'ed himself out of a job but that's all I know, would be nice to know what really happened. The MeToo movement scares me. Not just relating to Ben McVie but anyone that gets accused of doing something inappropriate, if they did it then hey they deserve to get what they get, but if it then comes out that that person is inosent, that's really shitty because even though they are inosent, they still have that stigma attached to them. Its not something that they can live down.

Have fun on your trip Mike. You deserve it. Safe travels bud.

August 17, 2018 @ 3:54 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Dough! Above should read "try again"...not "tyy again".

August 17, 2018 @ 3:56 PM

@Diva from Sudbury

Thanks! I need some time with all four kids before one starts JK and another starts high school. Luckily, the teens are fluent in French so they can speak for me in la belle province.

I actually didn't change my mind re: Bullard. We spoke several times, I gave him my ground rules, we went back and forth on those, then we actually scheduled a day and time, but at the last minute he asked if we could postpone it. We're still postponed. I'm guessing his lawyer told him to shut up.

Ben is laying low right now.

August 17, 2018 @ 4:23 PM

LieveFamke

@Mike, thanks! Hope your daughter is feeling better and can enjoy the vacation. My husband stayed with me as the sedative and needles were administered. Everyone needs someone by their side, you are a great dad! :)
And yes, will comment after listening!

August 17, 2018 @ 4:42 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Looks like John Bartlett will be calling regional Leaf games on Sportsnet and some games on HNIC. I like John Bartlett, he's been doing Habs play by play over the last few years on TSN and I enjoyed his calls.

August 17, 2018 @ 10:40 PM

Cheryl

I tried checking that box that says I'm not a robot, but it wouldn't check. Yes, My computer, Google speaker and Amazon echo automatically change the time. How about those Indians. That's great. They did beat my Orioles though, but it was close. My Jose hits another homer. You see, my Jose is awesome and he will cut the cake at my party, the Chief Wahoo cake. My Diamondbacks won as well. That's great. Indians and Diamondbacks to the World Series. Yes, it will happen. I heard about John Bartlett. I know he was good. Now he is going to broadcast games for the fricken Leafs. Well, he hasn't been with my Habs for a while now. Well, Habs and Coyotes to the finals. Yes, there will be a hockey party as well.

August 18, 2018 @ 7:20 AM

mdoucette77

Hey Mike, enjoy Tremblant! It's a beautiful area. Hopefully you're not there this weekend though, because it will be very difficult travelling into the resort, and around the resort. There is an Ironman triathlon happening there this weekend. If you're going there on Monday, then it will be perfect. Sunday, you may not be able to drive into the resort as the main road leading into the resort will be used for the bike portion from roughly 8AM to 3PM.

Enjoy the break and vacation with the family!

August 18, 2018 @ 7:34 AM

@mdoucette77

Leaving Monday!

August 18, 2018 @ 8:41 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Despite the torrential rain x 3 at the CNE Bandshell prior to the main event, Dennis DeYoung put
on an amazing concert. Really sad that that the Faux Styx (Stowan: Styx +Gowan) are able to play
larger venues and that their former lead singer and creative visionary is reduced to playing glorified
country fairs!! He's 71 but his voice is just as killer as it was in its heyday and his keyboard chops
(on those songs which featured them) are also still tremendous. Just the chance to hear his great
"Desert Moon" track from '84 almost made all that excessive precipitation seem inconsequential.
Except that it wasn't, as I had some more library items ruined, even though they were totally covered
inside my bag. To paraphrase the almighty Jamiroquai, "When Am I Gonna learn?"

August 18, 2018 @ 10:40 AM

Dennis DeYoung

Thanks for the shout-out - I agree entirely about those traitors and that charlatan Lawrence "you can call me Larry" Gowan. Imagine him singing Babe"? What a travesty. Did you know Tommy Shaw is only 4 feet tall? Jerks.

I had to check the capta too. As the real, original Mr. Roboto, I had to lie when asked if I was a robot. If you can read this, it worked out ok.

August 18, 2018 @ 12:38 PM

@Fake D. DeYoung
Sir, the real Dennis D. would know that Stowan does not perform "BABE" and never has!!!
They also don't perform "Best of Times", "Don't Let It End", or "Show Me the Way." Not that
the latter two songs were on offer last night, mind you!! Would have been great to hear
"Kilroy Was Here" from top to bottom, no matter how divisive an album it has always been.

August 18, 2018 @ 12:46 PM

Dennis DeYoung

How dare you! I do not attend the performances of that abomination calling themselves Styx, so do not know what of my masterpieces they put on their playlist. JY told the Toledo Blade in 2018 that fake Styx had played ALL my songs live - even Mr. Roboto. I don't have time to track them - I just cash the royalty checks. The band stayed away from Babe for a while, since I wrote it for my loving wife, but that thief Larry probably stole it by now to replace that Criminal Mind thing that I understand got some airplay up there in Toronto Mike land. Certainly never heard it herevin Chicago.

August 18, 2018 @ 1:04 PM

@Dennis DeYoung, (semi-legit!)
Um, you almost have me believing that you're the Real McCoy!! Setlist.fm
for all your setlist verification needs in the future! I only saw Stowan once (it was
a free ticket), and was greatly disappointed that they didn't cover Lawrence G's "When
There's Time For Love, as that baby has Thomas Shaw written all over it!! And You Can Call
Me Basement!!!

August 18, 2018 @ 1:10 PM

anrew

2 more stabbings this aft., 2 more last night & shootings constantley almost everyday.
People have no respect for each other anymore & it's too bad.
What is the solution??????????????

August 18, 2018 @ 7:27 PM

andrew

previous name should have been andrew as forgot d. My bad.

August 18, 2018 @ 7:31 PM

Cheryl

My Orioles beat my Indians. They shouldn't do that. My Indians are going to be World Series Champions. My Orioles won't be in the playoffs even. This shouldn't have happened. Can my Jose post here? Where's my Jose? There is only one Jose I call my Jose and that's Jose Ramirez. That's who I want. Will my Jose please post here. He's going to cut the cake at my party. My Diamondbacks lost. That's no good. Don't slump, Diamondbacks. You're in the World Series with my Indians.

August 19, 2018 @ 8:03 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Just caught the new Spike Lee Joint "BlacKkKlansman" and it is undoubtedly the most important
film of the year to date. I haven't really kept up to date with the long-time proprietor of the 40 Acres
and a Mule Co. over the last 10 to 12 years, as a lot of his work was no longer as widely-distributed
or was somewhat inaccessible to my highly-technophobic self!! My personal favourite film from
his oeuvre is 2002's "The 25th Hour" and a recent issue of Time Magazine agrees with that
assessment. That flick was part of a great run of 3 that included "son of Sam" and "Bamboozled."
Topher Grace as longtime KKK head honcho David Duke is a revelation, even if I first kept flashing
back to a much younger verison of him as Eric Foreman on That '70s Show!!!

August 19, 2018 @ 3:43 PM

Jose Ramirez

@Cheryl

Ask and you shall receive! I love playing for the indians! Looking forward to being a Yankee come free agency!

August 19, 2018 @ 8:34 PM

chris

2 shootings last night with 2 people dead another shooting tonight. 63 homicides already this year (8 months) & only 61 all of last year. This DOES NOT include Yonge St. massacre.
Summer of the gun & will have to guess used to it. I don't live in TO now but was born & raised there.

August 19, 2018 @ 11:45 PM

Cheryl

Goody, my Jose is here. Jose Ramirez, welcome to Toronto Mike's blog. Please don't go to the Yankees. Please stay with my Indians. My Indians did win again last night. That's great. No homer by my Jose though, but a grand slam by Melky Cabrera. Wonderful. My Diamondbacks also won. That's great. Both World Series teams won last night and that's great.

August 20, 2018 @ 7:01 AM

H.o.E.

What happened to the express bus to The Exhibition?
TTC.ca

August 20, 2018 @ 7:53 AM

@H.o.E.
I live within walking distance of the Ex but on Friday afternoon I was coming from Yonge and Bloor,
so imagine my surprise when I discovered that the 193 Rocket wasn't running this year. There was
a heads-up by omission in that crappy free Star birdcage liner, but I disregarded it. Took the streetcar
to King and Dufferin and walked in. Not sure that I'll be going back again (unless I take in Kansas
and/or that Rush Hairy Kimono (Crush!) tribute thing), so we'll see.

August 20, 2018 @ 9:21 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - did you cross or see the picketers?? I asked someone else who went and he said he saw no evidence of them.

TM - have a wonderful and relaxing trip!

chris - I don't feel any less safe that I did when I first moved here. I am sorry that these people are so willing to hurt innocent bystanders to get their points across. The city needs to do more to ensure that we are all safe, and I don't mean just get more cops on the street.

August 20, 2018 @ 11:54 AM

Sid_V

Men Without Hats and the Spoons tonight - playing the Bandshell at the Ex, for free. You can dance if you want to...

August 20, 2018 @ 3:06 PM

andrew

@Sid_V

If you're driving tonight, don't get stuck in Romantic Traffic.

August 20, 2018 @ 3:47 PM

bsmntdwllr73

The concert is only free once you pay your admission into the Ex!!!

August 20, 2018 @ 4:50 PM

@jj
No, I didn't see any picket lines when I attended that concert at the Ex on Friday night 'cause I went in
the Dufferin entrance. Got karmic payback shortly thereafter when my bag was completely soaked
through and several library items were ruined. #asemiexpensivelesson/retribution!!!

August 20, 2018 @ 5:03 PM

Cheryl

My Jose popped out a few times. My Jose didn't have a good night last night. Oh well, my Indians still won. There were homers by Michael Brantley, Melky Cabrera again as well as Greg Allen. Corey Kluber didn't do well in the beginning giving up three runs, but my Indians bounced back. I hope my Jose can hit another homer tonight. I love my Jose. My Orioles lost again last night. That's no good. Why did they have to lose again. Oh well. Who cares about the CNE. I don't. It's the same thing every year. Those rides are scary. I don't care about that express bus. I hate the TTC anyway.

August 21, 2018 @ 7:01 AM

Beatts

Cheryl, do you want us all to stop droning on about the CNE?

I can understand though, having to hear about the same thing every day must get tiresome.

Kind of shocked though about you not liking the CNE. There was an article last year about Jose Ramirez and how he always visits Toronto each year to visit the CNE and keep an eye on the real estate market. Big fan

August 21, 2018 @ 8:15 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73- you're the second person I have asked who was unaffected by it. I wonder where they are protesting?? sorry about your books :(

August 21, 2018 @ 8:26 AM

Joey Wasaga

@ Beatts...YES

" having to hear about the same thing every day must get tiresome."

3 to 1 says she doesn't get it at all.

August 21, 2018 @ 8:41 AM

H.o.E.

♫ Rainy days. Rainy days. ♫
Link

Did someone pee in Cheryl's cornflakes this morning? She hates everything.
Hey, the CNE isn't the same every year! They moved the performing dogs show thing into a different part of the trade centre.
Like a lot of the other buildings there, The Food Building seems kind of old and grungy. It's really just a warehouse, and that's how it gets used the rest of the year. They need to get MLSE to join in on demolishing and replacing it with something much newer and better, since it would join onto the north end of BMO Field. Maybe include the new 5-6000 theatre venue Toronto needs as part of the complex.

August 21, 2018 @ 8:51 AM

Max power

Hey mike it seems as though this john bartlett is taking over for paul romauk. Please let it be... can i watch leaf games again? Romanuk was/is pure amateurish... can you confirm?

August 21, 2018 @ 8:59 AM

@Max

Romy's out. Tis true. I actually liked him.

Bartlett gets the Rogers Leafs regional games. He'll get some HNIC games, but most Leafs games will go to Hughson or Ball.

August 21, 2018 @ 9:03 AM

Max power

Free at last .. free at last... i guess rogers finally acknowledged what a blunder it was to bring on romanuk, (the voice of the spengler cup ). Haha.. if you search twitter for ronanuk its a blood bath. . Total misfire for rogers... i feel like i just won the cup... i have not watched a game he has called in 4 years... the absolute worst... to quote one george costanza, "im back baby, im back)!

August 21, 2018 @ 9:12 AM

@H.o.E
Thanks for the link to that great, rollicking track from RDJ and Elf!!

August 21, 2018 @ 9:34 AM

@jj
Apparently the picketers/protesters are predominantly set-up near the Princess Gates.

August 21, 2018 @ 9:39 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Um, in my first comment of the morning, in my absent-minded water-logged reverie, I transposed
the initials of the almighty Ronnie James Dio: RJD, not RDJ. With irrefutable apologies to all
fans, past and present, of the Holy Diver!!!

August 21, 2018 @ 9:43 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - ah ok, makes sense. you came it at Dufferin, the other person I asked parked at Ontario Place and walked over the bridge but said he saw nothing either. I want to go tomorrow, but I feel badly for them being locked out and unemployed :(

August 21, 2018 @ 9:52 AM

@jj
Perhaps I'm a slightly selfish prick, but I kinda look at it like "out of sight, out of mind." For years,
the only reason I've gone to the Ex is for the Bandshell concerts. Living in Parkdale, it made the most
sense for me to come in from that particular direction. I guess ignorance really is bliss, sometimes?!?

August 21, 2018 @ 10:00 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - I am sure a lot of people have done out of sight and out of mind too, you're not the only one. and i am sure quite a few won't go because of the dispute - they should try and set up at more entrances, but maybe they are trying to be considerate of those who are patronizing the CNE/ or they were told don't be all over the place shouting and protesting etc.

August 21, 2018 @ 10:14 AM

@jj
Somebody, or to be perfectly frank, many somebodies are usually picketing/protesting/shouting
'bout one thing or another, so I find that I've become somewhat desensitized, as I usually have way too much nonsense going on in my own head.

August 21, 2018 @ 10:20 AM

James Edgar

Happy Tuesday all.

I was away for week and bit for family Vacation at a rented cottage . (Not rented by me Thank F*&K Jebus it's expensive) had a nice relaxing time doing as little as possible!

Before I went up north i started the move to Vaughn and finished it (not really) on the past weekend. Still super disorganized and hating it. I did discover there's an HOV lane on Dufferin south from the 407 all the way to Steeles and it's motorcycle friendly so dry trips to work won't be horrible at least, unless of course it's like when i came home yesterday and every single fucking car in the HOV only had one person in the car. And they were all going 10 under!

This morning in pouring rain in the car was not quite as efficient but not as bad as i thought it would be. I'm told that once school starts it will be brutal though. Can't wait.

So the stabbing at Sherway has hit close to home. The Teenager killed is that older brother of a boy Morgan was in elementary school with. I'm not certain if she was close to the younger brother but i did hear his name enough to recognize it. She may have known the brother (Jack)who was killed or at least who he was as he was probably a grade or two ahead of her. Sad beyond words for the family. They are saying it was an attempt to rob Jack gone wrong.

August 21, 2018 @ 11:31 AM

jj

James Edgar - glad you enjoyed the cottage - they can be expensive but once divided up, some places are pretty manageable (some, haha!) glad you did a lot of nothing.

so sad to hear about the incident at Sherway, I am sure the school will have counselors there if any of the kids need to talk to anyone. sigh, life is so scary.

August 21, 2018 @ 1:15 PM

H.o.E.

This article has a rendering of the inside of the 5000 seat theatre being built near Fallsview, that should be finished and open next summer. The lower level looks like it will be about the size and shape of the 100 and 200 level of the outdoor Amphitheatre (Budweiser Stage). Wonder who the first act will be? I would guess probably someone like Celine Dion.

August 21, 2018 @ 6:28 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@HoE, looks interesting. I just spent the weekend for a wedding in Niagara Falls at the Americana Hotel. It has been updated but horribly expensive (around $200/night) ,maybe if I had a buff body and used the waterpark, it would seem a decent deal.
Celine maybe a tad expensive for this venue, I am placing my bets maybe on Shania Twain, as she has a re-emergence happening.
@James edgar, that is a truly sad sad story, a kid losing his life over a petty robbery, doesn't get any more sense less. My daughter knew the girlfriend of Mark Smich here in Oakville, Smich was the loser accomplice to Dellen Millard who has been convicted of killing Tim Bosma(my sons business partner knew the Bosmas as they are Dutch Christian, and a tight community) and Laura Babcock a love interest of Millards. Millard is currently on trial for the killing of his father. I am not religious so I don't believe there is a Hell waiting for Millard, but i hope prison is a living Hell for him.
This is where life imprisonment to me trumps the death penalty, just never let them have a hope at freedom again. I will gladly put my tax dollars to their incarceration.

August 21, 2018 @ 9:06 PM

andrew

Is JK for real or just a daycare for parents. Do Fo if U want to change for the better, GET RID OF JK in Ont. NOW.

August 21, 2018 @ 9:43 PM

Cheryl

My Jose didn't tell me he likes the CNE. He said nothing about that, so you're accusing my Jose of going to the CNE every year. I don't eat cornflakes. It's Edge with protein cereal for me. Well, my Indians won again. That's great. No homer by my Jose again and he got no hits. Melky Cabrera hit another one though and also Yan Gomes hit one. Shane Beber pitched a gem. My Diamondbacks also won. Homer by David Peralta. My Orioles lost again though. That's no good. John Bartlett did Habs games on the radio. Why does he have to be with the Leafs? Well, it's Habs and Coyotes to the finals. I know this.

August 22, 2018 @ 7:11 AM

chris

Year of the gun
Another homicide on Danforth last night & another today in my former hood at Jane/Weston area.
Go for the record WTF.

August 22, 2018 @ 6:39 PM

Cheryl

My Indians lost even though Edwin Encarnacion got a couple home runs. That was no good my Indians lost. My Orioles also lost. My Diamondbacks won though. That's good, but my Indians had to lose and my Orioles lost, but my Orioles always lose. Well, it's still Indians and Diamondbacks to the World Series. My party will be so awesome. My Jose does not go to the CNE every year.

August 23, 2018 @ 7:06 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - I went to the Bandshell for the first time last night, to see Freddie McGregor! HE was great, I ate a couple things at the Food Building, and had a good time. Parked in Liberty Village and walked in so saved $$$.

Now I am all the more annoyed that a soca fete we had planned at the Bandshell was cancelled - it's a great venue, not sure why they won't let it be used for fetes.

August 23, 2018 @ 9:12 AM

@jj
Glad you had a good time. As for that cancelled soca fete, it has also been a few years since the
annual young people's night at the Bandshell was cancelled, so the CNE Powers That Be have
been extra busy keeping the oh-so-in-danger public safe from itself, LOL!!! Wish the public library
system would keep my nose and ears safe from all those unwanted sights and sounds I encounter on
a daily basis. P.s., good call on parking in Liberty Village to save some cash!

August 23, 2018 @ 9:42 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - my friend has a friend who lives in the Village so she generously let me park at her underground parking. perfect to walk off the food we consumed - a lot of cheese and sweet desserts :)

it's a bummer they don't want the younger crowd there. the soca fete was to be all inclusive and the DJ is well known throughout the industry as a good one. i think they had permit issues, and it ended up being held at woodbine mall (which wasn't bad anyway)

good luck at the library :p

August 23, 2018 @ 11:17 AM

@jj
The Ex should be more concerned 'bout those old-time weekend warrior, overfed motorcycle
morons who show up at many of the Bandshell rock concerts and act like they are the only
people there. Sadly, some of those tough 'biker broads' are often more reprehensible and/or louder
than their brute male counterparts. Glad that your Soca event found an alternative venue.

August 23, 2018 @ 11:33 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - the vibe was wonderful last night, everyone was relaxed and having fun.

we did find a venue but it's sad the CNE/Ex peeps didn't think our event was suitable for their venue.

No angry biker peeps last night luckily! Don't think Freddie is their speed ;)

August 23, 2018 @ 11:39 AM

@jj
Those clowns just come out for the dino rock acts!! So annoying, but I'm probably the anomaly
in that I don't drink, smoke or take any kind of mind-altering substances. I should probably just
cash out my meagre bank account, gather up some long-term supplies and go look for an
abandoned woodsy bunker to live out the rest of my mostly hellish days!!!

August 23, 2018 @ 11:46 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - I hope there is a woodsy cabin with your name on it, if that's what you so desire. the library is digital or maybe it would be close to a small town with a library?!

August 23, 2018 @ 1:25 PM

@jj
I would first need to figure out some kind of Wi-Fi hotspot!! "tho as a completely
clueless technophobe beside the simple library log on, I might be reduced to reluctantly
adopting some kind of Modern Amish or Mennonite situation, minus the currently
tres chic lumberjack beard. Just call me Bro Jebediah73 or Bro Bocephus73, but I haven't settled
on which one I'd plan to hypothetically go with...YET!!!

August 23, 2018 @ 1:34 PM

GUNTer

@bro bocephus. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

August 23, 2018 @ 3:31 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Couple of quick questions...
I've got an appointment at Sunnybrook on Tuesday. I've never been there. Is it a huge place? Is it fairly easy to get around and finding stuff?
How's the parking situation? I'm gonna be there for about 2 or 3 hours so I'm already expecting to get embezzled, probably gonna cost me 30 or 40 bucks but hey it is what it is. Is it a big parking lot though? I debated just trying to find the closest mall to Sunny brook, parking there and junping on a bus or cab, but with my luck I'll get booted or towed.
Assuming everything goes according to plan I'm gonna take off on Monday and go hang out with my fam in Waterloo. Original plan was to leave on the 28th at about 6 or 7 AM but my cousin went from Sudbury to Kitchener last week and it took him 9 hours to get there because of a wreck on the 400. So I figured I should rethink my plans. Knowing my luck I would end up missing my appointment because some asshole decided to pull some stupid shenanigans on the highway causing it to shut down.

Just so everyone knows...I'm ok, I'm healthy, so nothing to worry about lol

August 23, 2018 @ 7:05 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Jason from Sudbury , I do a lot of service at Sunnybrook and there always seems to be ample parking if you have a car, truck not so much.
Just a tip, if you are coming down from the 401 on Bayview take the first left into Sunnybrook (first set of lights after going over the bridge), then take the first right heading toward the hospital (you will see surface parking all around for staff). Then at the first 3 way stop (RAAB Avenue) turn left, and enter the parking Garage One at the first gate. Go straight after getting your ticket and go to the under ground.

This saves you from the main entrance buses, drop offs and the dawdlers trying to get a spot on the surface, which is always full and a waste of time to wind through all the surface aisles.

Going to cost you $26 for parking.
Funny thing I am working in Sudbury for a couple of days next week.
Good luck with your Toronto traffic experience, I am going to enjoy Sudbury traffic and a few craft ales at the Taphouse Grill.

August 23, 2018 @ 9:55 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Rick C: I've never been to the Taphouse. I used to go there quite a bit when it was the 1500 Pub, the hotel part was the Cardinal Motor In. I always liked the 15 but then Nick sold the property. It was bought by Dalron. The lady that owns the Taphouse rents that spot. I haven't been there yet but I hear its nice.

August 23, 2018 @ 11:25 PM