Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

Goody, baseball is back. That's great. Also I'm first. Anyway, I don't know about my Orioles. They seem to be a lost cause. My Indians and Diamondbacks will win tonight. Indians and Diamondbacks to the World Series. Anyone want to come to my World Series party.

July 20, 2018 @ 7:50 AM

Beatts

It was an absolute pleasure to meet Cheryl last night at the Toronto Mike meet and great! Sorry, no pics as Mike was strictly enforcing that rule for some strange reason? (He also was only signing autographs on head shots of himself for $25)

I thought dressing up as a Cleveland Indians ball girl was a nice touch Cheryl. Kudos.

Al and his band did a fantastic job and rocked the house! His rendition of Anne Murray's classic "You needed me" left not a dry eye on the patio. Bravo!

Apologies to the wait staff at Great Lakes Brewery for my wife's behavior. She generally doesn't drink like that on Thursday's unless it falls on the 19th of the month (It's her lucky number)

Also, if anyone found her tube top could you please message me here, it was a mother's day gift from the kids last year.

Can't wait for the next one!

July 20, 2018 @ 8:17 AM

Beatts

*Meet and GREET

Sorry, still have a contact drunk from the wife's fumes

July 20, 2018 @ 8:18 AM

LieveFamke

Thanks Mike for a great night! It was a lot of fun, specially put faces to names! The music was great (Al, still think you need at least one Pitbull song in your repertoire!); the beer was great (thanks for hosting GLB!). Had a great conversation with 12:36! I look forward to the next one!

PS. Mike, even though you commanded people not to video your 'performance' at the mike.. there is blackmail evidence out there! ;)

July 20, 2018 @ 8:43 AM

markosaar

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

(Thanks so much for hosting, Mike. That was great.)

July 20, 2018 @ 8:55 AM

GUNTer

sounds like your event last night was a great success! wish i wasn't such a sociophobe since its right in my hood. any women posters attend?
kudos to you TM.

July 20, 2018 @ 9:11 AM

McNulty

I would have come to the meet and greet but apparently the restraining order is enforceable at public events.

But seriously I was out of town and didn't get back until past 10.

July 20, 2018 @ 9:48 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Innocent question for a near mid-summer Friday morning: How the hell is anyone supposed to
trust legendary ambulance-chasing law firm The Preszler Law Firm when that stylish older
gray-haired gent fronting their numerous TV ads is merely a hired actor and not an esteemed
lawyer?!? Was made aware of this cruel injustice in the 12:36 newsletter at some point, but
every time I see this dude I instantly fill with impotent rage (truly, is there ever any other kind?).

Perhaps that other older gent leaning to the side in those commercials (and possibly older than
Methuselah) is a real Preszler?!? If so, not exactly a photogenic dude!!). I foolishly expect any future
lawyers I hire to resemble the likes of Matthew McConaughey, Keeanu Reeves and most importantly, Denzel Washington, especially after his tour-de-force performance as a lawyer with ASD in that barely-known film "Roman J. Israel, Esq."

Important note to Spectrum-addled self: Movies aren't like real life. Get yo' azz some perspective!!

July 20, 2018 @ 9:51 AM

LieveFamke

@GUNTer, I attended! And pleasantly surprised it wasn't a total sausage fest!

July 20, 2018 @ 9:59 AM

Brian Gerstein AKA Raptors Devotee

So much fun! Really enjoyed every encounter I made. Toronto Mike's listeners are so down to earth and salt of the earth people, which makes sense, as Mike himself leads his life that way. I do not think it is possible to follow Mike and be a jerk. This is due to Mike's broadcasting style which is always warm and inviting, and why with a few exceptions, word of mouth has been more than enough to bring in a constant array of influential guests to spend a couple of hours in his basement.

July 20, 2018 @ 10:17 AM

So many Open Mikers I want to thank for coming....

LieveFamke and her husband, who corrects my pronunciation of Bogota.

Rick C in Oakville, always a great supporter.

James Edgar, who I was later reminded once went on a date with my wife's cousin.

bsmntdwllr73 who skipped Radiohead to be there.

markosaar, who biked a long way to be there.

Broni, who came all the way from Mimico.

And of course, Brian Gerstein, Ed "Retrontario" Conroy, Mark "12:35" Weisblott, Lou Schizas, and J Gold.

And the many other listeners, like Linda and her husband, Mike G, Andrew Ward, the Rush Mike, the TFC Mike, Michael Lange, Nadia, Crunchypicks, John Evelyn, Peter, Joe, Charo, and of course, Al and his amazing band The Royal Pains. Damn they were good.

Oh, and my wife and our two little ones were there. And of course, I'm forgetting so many I will sneakily edit in later.

July 20, 2018 @ 10:31 AM

@Brian

I'll bet jerks are listening to the podcast, but jerks don't come to events like we had last night. :)

July 20, 2018 @ 10:36 AM

Beatts

Hey, I resemble that remark.

July 20, 2018 @ 10:39 AM

@McNulty

We'll do it again in September. The list of "I really wanted to be there but were out of town" people make that a must.

The following people were out of town:

Humble and Fred
Elvis
Hebsy
Steph
Andrew Stoakley
Tyler (who maintains the KOTJ Google spreadsheet)

Also, Michael Lange wore a Lost Indie City shirt and I snapped a pic and sent it to Pete Fowler who wishes he had come, so he'll be at the next one.

So stay tuned for the mid-to-late September date. We'll do it again! And this time, LadyCuteKitty has to say hi.

July 20, 2018 @ 10:41 AM

@Mike
From a cursory glance at Radiohead's setlist from last night, don't feel like I missed much (admittedly
not a fan past the "Hail To The Thief" album.) Haven't heard from my friend yet, but he did leave two
messages earlier in the day regarding a mishap he had on the subway involving his fake leg. He
ended up going to Sunnybrook to get it fixed but not sure if he ever did make it to the concert!
I hope that he was at least able to scalp the tickets or I'll never hear the end of it!! I'll never hear
the end of it regardless, because anything less then you installing me as your permanent co-host(!!)
would not have been a good enough reason for skipping that gig!! Al's band were a more than worthy alternative, even if I'm still stumped about one of the tracks they played mid-set (kept me up all night, sadly!!).

And while it was great to meet you and to touch base with several other TM enthusiasts, public
social gatherings aren't exactly in my wheelhouse!!! I'm obviously much more comfortable in the
cozy confines of a public library, hopefully one situated north of Yonge and Bloor!! Perhaps if the
meet and greet had been held at a nearby library branch (I've been to several in your 'hood!),
I might have been a lot more comfortable. A bonus would have been the complete absence of
booze, and then we all would have been equally uncomfortable (maybe?). Well, at least I can
check off making at least one half-assed attempt to be moderately social off my yearly bizarro to-do-list!!!

July 20, 2018 @ 10:45 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Dude, I know that wasn't easy for you, but I'm damn honoured you made the trek and were there. Lots of people there have been enjoying your comments here for some time, and it's great to put a face to the name. So thanks for coming.

But I can't believe you turned down the free glass of beer!

July 20, 2018 @ 10:47 AM

@GUNTer

Come to the next one in September. There was a great mix of social butterflies and sociophobes. :)

July 20, 2018 @ 10:48 AM

James edgar

Good morning all, great to meet some of you last night , Al the band was great ! Sorry I didn’t meet all of you being a little antisocial or shy or something. I did pester Lou for longer than I should have . I meant to go and say hi to Brian but was getting into the band a little too much and when I turned around he was already gone:

Mike it was especially a pleasure to finally meet you . This blog and podcast are part of most of my days.

And thanks to GLB for the free Canuck !

I DO have a video of a house of pain of pain (?) song being performed by our host which I will send to Mike later today

July 20, 2018 @ 10:51 AM

James edgar

And thanks to GLB for the free Canuck !

July 20, 2018 @ 10:51 AM

@Mike
The only time I've ever touched a drop of beer was when I was around 7 years old and some
older idiot gave me a sip. Didn't care for it and never felt compelled to try it again!! I've had
wine and champagne but they don't do anything for me either. Too afraid that I might turn
into a legit human being if I started and actually enjoyed the odd wobbly pop or two!! Also,
not a driver so I can't make the designated driver excuse either! Remember, the social stuff
that comes easier for a lot of people might as well be another solar system where yours truly
is concerned. ASD is often called the Oops! Wrong Planet syndrome for this very reason!!
On the other hand, most of your cherished guests and dignitaries would probably have
immense difficulty exisitng under the intense loneliness bubble my (half-)life usually entails.
The grass is always greener...I guess!!

July 20, 2018 @ 10:54 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Awesome event Mike, and meeting some of the contributors, podcast guests and hearing Al and the Royal pains, damn they are good.
@ Beatts, I can't stop LMAO, I wish I was this creative with words as that first entry!

July 20, 2018 @ 11:37 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Not good news shared in the 12:36 newsletter today regarding the CNE locking out its stage techs and other important behind the scenes workers. The EX is a month away and I would hate to miss out on
catching any of those classic rot(!) performers at the CNE Bandshell! Can't bear the fact that my cherished ODSP free status has now been revoked, and that I'll actually have to pay some hard
unearned money (well, unless you count the school of hard knocks!!) towards the cost of seeing
some past their best before date rock dinos!!! (D. DeYoung, Nancy Wilson, Kansas).

July 20, 2018 @ 1:08 PM

Beatts

Thanks @Rick C ! ;)

July 20, 2018 @ 1:10 PM

"Rush" Mike

Long time Reader, 1st Time Writer.... after attending such a great event last night at GLB I feel compelled to write a comment. A definite highlight of the summer and glad to hear its going to happen again in September. Great meeting everyone....

July 20, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Spending a boring Friday afternoon perusing entries from deep within the Toronto Mike'd
archive, music division. Currently fascinated with ancient entries revolving around Mike
transferring his vast CD collection to MP3 format. A fascinating list of over 1700 albums!!
An eclectic music mix and seeing the inclusion of several Geto Boys platters has quickly
lead me down a Youtube rabbit hole. Man, I've forgotten just how profanely poetic Bushwick Bill,
Scarface and Willie D, really were back then. Almost on par with prime 2 Live Crew!! I said ALMOST!!!

July 20, 2018 @ 2:57 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Led me down (above),LOL!!

July 20, 2018 @ 3:00 PM

@Rush Mike

You should comment more often. I anoint you Rush Mike.

And it was great meeting you! I know James Edgar loved your shirt.

July 20, 2018 @ 3:52 PM

Sloth Beatts

Well then I shall anoint myself fittingly too.

July 20, 2018 @ 4:09 PM

Broni

The weather and the company could not have been better last night. A great event and a pleasure to meet several of Mike's followers. GLB was a great venue and The Royal Pains rocked plenty of 90s tunes! And also the great Gorillaz track that came as a surprise.

July 20, 2018 @ 4:32 PM

Confirmed

Confirmed.

Hebsy lives in TorontoMike's basement :)

July 20, 2018 @ 6:21 PM

jj

I'm glad everyone had fun!!!

July 20, 2018 @ 7:00 PM

Michael Lange

So everyone I met last night seemed quite disappointed in my lack of posting on this site. I heard the term "Toronto Mike Outsider" whispered behind my back a couple of times, thanks Brian Gerstein. So to turn this around before the next event in September, I am going to finally foray into the world of blog commenting. Please be gentle. Other than that, last night was a blast, the GLB beer worked, and the Royal Pains were outstanding!

July 20, 2018 @ 7:09 PM

Welcome @Michael Lange!

July 20, 2018 @ 9:30 PM

@jj

I hope you can make the next one. :)

July 20, 2018 @ 9:31 PM

@Broni

Thanks for coming!!

July 20, 2018 @ 9:31 PM

Al The Royal Pain

We had fun yesterday. GLB were great hosts and Mike made a great guest of honour working the crowd like an expert!

I loved meeting so many fellow commenters in person and I would love to know which song we played that kep @bsmntdwllr73 up at night.

Also got a kick meeting Brian Gerstein, Retrontario, 12:36, Lou Schizas, and other TM guests.

The rest of my bandmates had a great time as well and have started listening to the podcast, as have some of my coworkers.

Looking forward to the next event! Hopefully I can make it, there are so many others I'd love to meet...yes, even Elvis.

July 20, 2018 @ 10:49 PM

Blind Dave

If I didn't live 1,700 miles away I'd have been torn. I am an anti-social, awkward, anti-people, sociophobe but I love the various TO Mike forums and it would have been great to meet everyone (in a very awkward way, mind you).

July 20, 2018 @ 11:07 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Indians won. That's great, but it was close, and Trevor Bauer didn't have his best stuff. My Jose hit a home run again. That's Jose Ramirez. Fantastic third baseman. I love him. He bats just as well from both the right and left sides. Of course, he'll be at my party. Jason Kipnis homered as well. My Orioles disappointed me again. I know they're a lost cause, but can't they win this weekend? My Diamondbacks also lost again. That's no good. Come on Diamondbacks, you should win. You're going to be in the World Series with my Indians. It will be great. There will be a World Series party the first Saturday after the World Series. Franky, my Jose, Corey Kluber, Jason Kipnis, Michael Brantley, all of them will be there. My beloved Indians.

July 21, 2018 @ 7:49 AM

@Al The Royal Pain
The song was in the middle of your set and while I checked your band's online setlist, I still wasn't
able to figure it out (very rare for me!!). Qucik Update: I figured it out by process of elimination!!
"Waste a Moment" by Kings Of Leon! I remembered the lyrics centred around the phrase "Take the time..." and the rest was elementary!!!

July 21, 2018 @ 9:45 AM

jj

I can try, but I get shy!

July 21, 2018 @ 10:08 AM

@jj
I can guarantee that you will not be any more awkward than I was on Thursday night!!
If I go to the next event, I promise to talk your ear off and then you'll really regret attending.
Nah, just kidding! I'm not that bad or that boring, most days!!

July 21, 2018 @ 10:18 AM

@jj

At least one lovely woman came on Thursday night, stayed for the whole event, and didn't say hi because she was shy.

So technically you can come for the free beer and great music without having to socialize, but I told this young lady via Twitter that she must come to the next one and say hi!

You too, jj!

July 21, 2018 @ 10:29 AM

@Blind Dave

All out-of-towners are excused. :)

July 21, 2018 @ 10:30 AM

markosaar

Haha, I had to use Soundhound on my phone to identify the Kings of Leon track.

July 21, 2018 @ 10:59 AM

@markosaar
Good to know that I wasn't the only one confused 'bout that one!! Probably most folks in
attendance were more familiar with that other Kings Of Leon track performed that evening!!

July 21, 2018 @ 11:03 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@bsmntdwllr73
Mystery solved re: the Kings Of Leon song. I haven't updated the song list on our site in awhile, should probably do that soon. It was great to meet you in person! Thanks for coming out and I'm glad you enjoyed the band.

To all those who are nervous about coming out, or even introducing yourselves once you do come out... I know it can be awkward, but remember we're all there because we have at least one thing in common, this site. The fun part is finding out what else we have in common. My bet is there is a lot, just by virtue of the fact something drew us to Mike's site and podcast to begin with.

What I found Thursday was that everyone was super friendly and supportive and genuinely happy to meet each other in person. Even Mike's past show guests/sponsors (RetrOntario, 12:36, Brian, Lou, Troy, etc) were very approachable and happy to chat with anyone who approached them.

Can't wait for the next one!

July 21, 2018 @ 11:07 AM

@Al The Royal Pain
The pleasure was absolutely all mine!! You and your entire band are all multi-talented,
and although it took me more than 36 hours to solve that song mystery, I was more than
up for the challenge!!

July 21, 2018 @ 11:12 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@markosaar did we meet Thursday? If we did, I must not have caught your online name.

@TOMike, maybe next time you should have name tags so we can identify each other by our online names. That might make it easier for some to approach or be approached.

July 21, 2018 @ 12:08 PM

@Al The Royal Pain
That it is a very good idea, although in a former life(!) I was forced to do this in group
therapy and it ultimately didn't go over very well!! TM's crowd is definitely a lot friendlier
and saner as well!!!

July 21, 2018 @ 12:26 PM

jj

I also don't even drink beer loool. Do they make something like Bud Light's Radler, like a super light beer? :/

It sounds like a lot of fun though, I am so glad it went well!!

July 21, 2018 @ 2:07 PM

@jj

The Sunnyside I was drinking is pretty light... 3.5% I think. But there's also water!

July 21, 2018 @ 2:11 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Too funny, the Kings of Leon song was so familiar, but my elderly brain just couldn't come up with the song title at the time.

July 21, 2018 @ 4:56 PM

jj

that is about all i can handle for beer at 3.5% lol!!

July 21, 2018 @ 8:38 PM

Patrick

Sorry to derail the live meet chatter but I was curious if anyone else have been getting "dangerous site/page" warnings when trying to visit the Toronto Sports Media blog for the last few days?

Hate to think it but by all appearances it seems they've been hacked since my protection software is saying it's being redirected to a know scam/phishing site.

July 21, 2018 @ 9:11 PM

Ty Kneeweiner

@ Patrick..When I go to TSM I get the message" site suspended."

July 22, 2018 @ 6:23 AM

Cheryl

That Indians game was great last night. Tyler Naquin hit two homers. He's an up and coming guy. Yonder Alonso also hit one. Carlos Carrasco pitched a gem. They'll all be at my party, my World Series party. Orioles lost again. They always lose, but I really wanted them to win this weekend. My Diamondbacks were winning, but they blew it. Come on Diamondbacks, you need to win. You're in the World Series with my beloved Indians. My Jose is player of the first half, MVP. Yes, there are lots of baseball players named Jose, but I'm talking about Jose Ramirez. He's the best third baseman. Nobody else is a better third baseman than my Jose.

July 22, 2018 @ 8:04 AM

Rick C in Oakville

I can almost see my grass turning from the dead yellow, to green with this much needed rain!
Also nice to turn the AC off and get some fresh air in the house.

July 22, 2018 @ 9:35 AM

Urooj Islam

Looks like Jose Ramirez is overtaking Franky Lindor as Cheryl's favourite player.

Shocking development, Beatts.

July 22, 2018 @ 1:33 PM

andrew

At Cheryl's World Series party will Bob Seger or John Mellencamp be the entertainment.

Can't wait. I'll be there for sure.

July 22, 2018 @ 3:21 PM

Peter from Mississauga

It was great to finally meet you Mike. I was there with my son and daughter, enjoying the band and the GL beer, the supportive and happy TM follower and listener crowd. They said you were great with your kids. Can't wait for the next one in September.

July 22, 2018 @ 10:42 PM

@Peter from Mississauga

It was great meeting you!

July 22, 2018 @ 10:46 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Indians lost. This sucks. It really does. They got shut out. I love my Jose. I love Franky Lindor as well. Yes, there will be Bob Seger and John Mellencamp at my party. There will be sushi as well as Edge with protein cereal. It's going to be awesome the first Saturday after the World Series. Be there or be square. Well, my Orioles lost again. They always fricken find a way to lose. My Diamondbacks won though.

July 23, 2018 @ 6:52 AM

@Patrick

I see the Toronto Sports Media site is completely offline now. I'm sure Jonah just has to update the credit card number or something.

July 23, 2018 @ 10:11 AM

markosaar

@Al The Royal Pain,

No we did not meet unfortunately ... next time! I was rocking a TPOH Love Junk shirt fwiw.

July 23, 2018 @ 10:12 AM

I'm leaning towards September 12 as "next time". It's a very rare day where both Andrew Stoakley and Elvis can attend.

July 23, 2018 @ 10:24 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@markosaar

Yes, I remember the shirt! Let's definitely connect next time!

July 23, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

dale

The Summer of The Gun sequel as 1st was in 2005. Sickening.

July 23, 2018 @ 2:41 PM

@dale

This isn't gang related. It's one man, Faisal Hussain, who had "severe mental health challenges, struggling with psychosis and depression his entire life".

July 23, 2018 @ 6:07 PM

dale

@ Mike
I knew it wasn't gang related. The problem is too many guns & homicides overall.
Good luck to Michelle with getting braces off & may have to wear a retainer at night.

July 23, 2018 @ 7:44 PM

@dale

Yes, definitely a retainer at night. :)

Re: the shooting, it's a horrific tragedy, but if a mentally ill person buys a stolen gun illegally, I don't know any solution other than to improve mental healthcare.

Just be glad he wasn't able to get his hands on an automatic weapon or the death count would have been much higher.

July 23, 2018 @ 7:47 PM

Cheryl

What a night. My Indians got beat. They got shut out again. It's awful and the rain delays. Corey Kluber didn't pitch well. What's wrong with Corey Kluber. My Orioles also lost. My Diamondbacks won though. Great Patrick Corbin win and Paul Goldschmidt hit a home run. I'm worried about my Indians though. They better win tonight.

July 24, 2018 @ 7:10 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Important note to remember: Sports teams don't just belong to one particular person!!
Learn to share. I never really did, and I've paid in spades for such selfishness tenfold
throughout my troubled life. A valuable lesson to keep in mind.

July 24, 2018 @ 9:21 AM

Bill King, the pianist and radio host, is coming on Toronto Mike'd. So if there are any jazz aficionados out there with questions for Bill King, let me know!

And Muffy from Today's Special, too!

July 24, 2018 @ 9:22 AM

@Mike
Great booking!! I went to the Beaches Jazz Festival for the first time on Sunday and had a great
time (minus the company of my so-called asshole friend/tyrant!! A shame that the weather
prevented more people from attending. I saw part of pianist/singer Laila Biali's set and she
performed great covers of Coldplay's "Yellow", Feist's "Mushaboom" and D. Bowie's "Let's
Dance", alongside some of her own nice material. The other artist was an Americana singer
named Shannon McNally. I purchased her debut EP in 2000 and then lost track of her for nearly
two decades. A great mix of covers and fine originals by her as well: The Band's "It Makes No
Difference", Little Feat's immortal groover "Dixie Chicken", and best of all, a spectacular take
on Stevie Wonder's 1980 country-funk classic "I Ain't Gonna Stand For It." A nice late afternoon.

Question for Bill King: What was it like touring as the musical director for the Pointer Sisters
back in the day?

July 24, 2018 @ 9:34 AM

@Mike
Just saw your tweet from yesterday announcing an upcoming appearance by Molly Johnson.
Please be sure to ask about Alta Moda, Infidels and her duets with that local '80s group Breeding
Ground on their great "Happy Now I Know" and "Ceremony Of Love" tracks from eons ago. Please and thank U very much!!

July 24, 2018 @ 9:48 AM

markosaar

There's a special place in hell for people that park in bike lanes, destroy public bathrooms, and steal office lunches.

I assume the Venn diagram of these kinds of sociopaths makes a perfect circle.

July 24, 2018 @ 10:45 AM

@markosaar
Just curious, how many of these things have happened to you this morning so far? My complete
and utter apologies to you on behalf of all the more considerate people out there!! Perhaps a little bit o' TPOH to cure what ails you?!?

July 24, 2018 @ 10:52 AM

markosaar

Haha, burned out on TPOH for the moment. This morning has involved The Charlatans & Turbonegro.

Only the lunch-related thing happened this morning ... I was dismayed to find that someone had not only gotten into my plain yogurt tub, they used a dirty spoon to do it.

The public bathroom thing is just something I've long associated with sociopathy. The bike lane thing is personal :P

July 24, 2018 @ 10:58 AM

bsmtndwllr73

Good call on The Charlatans, love the first two albums. Not overly familiar with Turbonegro
but loved The Hellacopters (Swedish garage rock). As for the dirty spoon, try not to think too
hard about what else it might have been used for. Hopefully your office isn't located near
any safe injection sites!! And you're totally right about disgusting washrooms, Can't stand all
that gay-baiting graffiti. The last place I would go to seek that kind of thing if that is what
turned my proverbial crank (and it most certainly does not! Not that there is anything wrong
with that!!). Not a bicyclist myself, but have seen that type of thing plenty of times on my
walkabouts or surface level trips.

July 24, 2018 @ 11:04 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Clearly I once again forgot how to spell my nom de post above!! My fingers sometimes seem to
have an untrustworthy mind of their own!!

July 24, 2018 @ 11:06 AM

H.o.E.

If you see that an event is going to be at "Coca-Cola Coliseum" or "Scotiabank Arena", would you know where to go ?

July 24, 2018 @ 3:56 PM

@H.o.E.

I would, but I'm savvy!

July 24, 2018 @ 6:07 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Just curious, has Demi Lovato been added yet to those morbid celebrity death pools we all know
exist but pretend not to talk about? Her recent "Sober" single is really starting to appear to be
most ironic in this current moment, no?!? I REALLY love all the love being sent her way by assorted
celebrities. But for the grace of good fortune, better luck and a stronger constitution go the lot of
them!! And this time my tongue is definitely not in cheek with this comment. 14 years ago today my
father underwent a liver transplant from which he never recovered. Completely sober at the time,
it was brought about by a return to the workforce, and within a little more than two years later
he was gone. Perhaps one day people will finally realize that the best way to avoid getting caught
up in the thralls of addiction is to never open the door to it in the first place. SERMON OVER!!

July 24, 2018 @ 7:02 PM

Cheryl

What's happening to my beloved Indians? They lost again. It's just awful. Shane Beber was so good, but now he lost the game. That's no good. Anyway, Edwin Encarnacion hit a homer again though. That's good, but my Indians need to be consistent. My Orioles won for a change and my Diamondbacks also won. Primus also won another consumers choice aware. Well, that's because Primus is the best. I will never switch back to Bell, no way.

July 25, 2018 @ 7:20 AM

jj

H.o.E. - I never do anything at the Coca Cola Coliseum anyway - so I would maybe not know (I do but only because I saw an article about it) and yes to the Scotiabank Arena, and Budwieser Stage now too.

July 25, 2018 @ 8:25 AM

bsmntdwllr73

In my over-zealousness to post last night, I accidentally erased two years from the
date of my father's ultimately failing liver transplant: It was July 24, 2002, not 2004.
In almost related news, I have come to the absolutely belated conclusion that Art Alexakis
lied to me (and pretty much everyone else!) when he sang "I Will Buy You A New Life" over
20 years ago, That will teach me to take song lyrics too literally!! By that same token, the
other night I heard The Turtles version of that notable sixties protest song "Eve Of
Destruction" and have been in trance-like Y2K-like End Of Days preparation mode ever since.
Should probably stick to early happy Beach Boys music and avoid over-exposure to
Gothenburg Death Metal at this point!!!

July 25, 2018 @ 9:11 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Frankly I was always majorly creeped-out by that crotchety old security guard Sam
on Today's Special, Not saying I regularly watched the show (I was 8 when it started),
but it was definitely a staple of my younger brother's childhood. Not ashamed to admit
that I still sometimes find myself checking out clips from Dr. Snuggles and Fables of
the Green Forest on Youtube. Certainly the late seventies and early eighties were a
golden era for quality children's programming. No talented ladies as foxy as the
lovely Boots in kids' TV back then, but they were much simpler times!!

July 25, 2018 @ 9:22 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Indians won. That's great. Trevor Bauer pitched another gem. Wonderful. Edwin Encarnacion got a two run double and Yonder Alonso hit a two-run homer. That's great. Just keep it up. My Diamondbacks lost though. My Orioles played a couple innings, but then the game got rained out. Why did they only play a couple innings and not just cancel the game altogether. My World Series party will be wonderful. Of course, Bob Seger and John Mellencamp will be playing as well.

July 26, 2018 @ 7:05 AM

Patrick

Strange observation but as I was trying to get away from the Danforth shooting news the other morning I hit Global and well, since when did they completely mimic CP24's screen format for their morning news show?

Outside of the colours and maybe the fonts the screens are almost identical with placement of weather, traffic and other info. Seems odd Global would choose to copy CP24 so blatantly even if Global does as badly as it seems if you believe twitter and the likes.

July 26, 2018 @ 3:34 PM

Urooj Islam

Godspeed JA Happ.

The rare Toronto athlete who has been traded for, traded away (now twice) and signed as a free agent.

July 26, 2018 @ 5:50 PM

Sid_V

Every time a baseball executive or reporter refers to a player as "controllable talent", a puppy dies. Please stop.

July 27, 2018 @ 7:02 AM