How to Pronounce Toronto

I've lived in Toronto my entire life. I was born in Parkdale. I've never even lived in Mississauga or Thornhill or Ajax or another border town. I've always lived in the megacity.

CHUM is making another announcement (as I type!) and I predicted they were adding a third person to the Roger and Marilyn morning show and that this third person was coming from the USA. It turns out I was bang-on, but more on that later. Here's the reply I was just tweeted.

I've always been told real Torontonians don't pronounce the second "t" in Toronto. We say "Toronno" or "Trawno". But here's the thing... I often pronounce that second "t" because it's damn fun to nail that second "t".

So no criticism from me when Jamar McNeil hit that second "t". I'm more than OK with it. In fact, I'd be delighted if it caught on.

bsmntdwllr73

I've always pronounced Toronto with that second "T" included, even when I had a major
but still cute speech impediment when I was a youngling!! As long as we're mentioned and
it is spelled correctly, then it is all good as far as I'm concerned!!

July 16, 2018 @ 10:01 AM

jaki

"Trawno". ?
... actually the real way it's pronounced " Chtrawno " :)

July 16, 2018 @ 11:38 AM

bsmntdwllr73

See "This Beat Goes On/Switchin' To Glide" by The Kings for another classic mispronunciation of
'Toronto'!!

July 16, 2018 @ 11:46 AM

Bushpig

T’rannah

July 16, 2018 @ 5:55 PM

Blind Dave

Born & raised in central Ontario, lived in ToronTo for 17 years, then moved on. Always nailed the second "T".

July 16, 2018 @ 8:27 PM

@Blind Dave

There ya go!

July 16, 2018 @ 8:40 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Bushpig
Great handle!! Also the name of a track by Cancon metal faves Anvil (1991 album
"Worth the Weight"). Pretty sure that this particular track has absolutely nothing to do with
its namesake animal from Africa!!

July 17, 2018 @ 9:23 AM

Barry

The beauty of the local pronunciation of the name is that if you listen closely, the second T actually is pronounced, but it's pronounced so softly that it's rolled into the n. That's why, when you teach a hard-T person how to say Toronto the local way, it doesn't sound right out of their mouth. People trying to imitate it by going with the phonetic spelling -- all n -- are exposed as outsiders. You have to have lived here your entire life to get the exact sound right -- your mouth and tongue have to shape themselves properly. It's our shibboleth.

July 18, 2018 @ 11:09 AM

jj

I didn't even see this post LOL - I always pronounce the second t, because of my accent anyway!

July 18, 2018 @ 11:56 AM