Happy KOTJ Anniversary!

The very first Kick Out the Jams! episode of Toronto Mike'd was recorded one year ago today. Mark Hebscher went first, and 43 others have followed.

The idea came to me a little over a year ago when I was checking Twitter and saw a tweet from Mike Wilner about Pearl Jam's Ten. I was surprised Mike also loved that album, and wondered what other music he loved. Then, during a bike ride, it struck me. Guests could return to play and discuss their ten favourite songs of all-time. Wilner ended up being my second ever KOTJ guest.

I've enjoyed all 44 KOTJ eps, but I'd like to put a spotlight on the episodes from Dave Hodge and Stephen Brunt. Hodge and Brunt are two of Canada's best sports journalists, but their passion and knowledge of new music is unparalleled. Have them over to kick out the jams with me was a personal highlight.

Then, there's Alan Cross, a musicologist I respect who has taught me so much about many of the artists and bands I love. Is there a better person to kick out the jams with in this country?

From Mike Stafford to Lowest of the Low to Damien Cox to David Shoalts to Jay Onrait, it's been so much fun. Here's to another year of kicking out the jams with you all!

dale

Congrats Mike, I really look forward to KOTJ episodes & hear what others listen to & their favs.
Keep it going.

June 14, 2018 @ 4:56 PM

markosaar

Congrats! But yeah, Alan Cross's was definitely my favourite.

Any Stone Roses fan could be a friend of mine!

June 14, 2018 @ 8:19 PM

Cambo

...another KOTJ goal for you...

Russell Martin!

Good Canadian guy...might be a bit tough to get hold of...

June 15, 2018 @ 7:44 AM

LieveFamke

Keep 'em coming!!

June 15, 2018 @ 8:29 AM

@LieveFamke

Can you make Monday night's call at 8pm?

June 15, 2018 @ 9:22 AM

Beatts

I enjoy them.

If LieveFamke doesn't show it's going to be another sausage party ;)

Where's Elvis during these ? Does South Oshawa still have phone service at that time of night ?

June 15, 2018 @ 10:19 AM

LieveFamke

I'll make it!! Don't want it to be a sausage fest!
I'm afraid the July party at GLB is going to be one!! OHHHH unless Bif and Boots are going to be there!?!??!

June 15, 2018 @ 1:07 PM

@LieveFamke

There's at least one more female listener who says she will come.

But this begs the question, where are the female listeners? I know they exist, because I hear from them on Twitter!

June 15, 2018 @ 2:28 PM

Beatts

Please appear.

I'd tired of being the eye candy for this charade.

June 15, 2018 @ 2:31 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Already posted my thoughts on this blessed occasion in another thread yesterday, but the
sentiments are definitely worth repeating: KOTJ is without a doubt my favourite feature
on Toronto Mike'd, and it could only be improved by the hasty return to proudly using the acronym
"KOTJ" again in all future KOTJ episodes, even the hybrid ones! No more of this Trojan Horse malarkey, it's Pride month after all. Oh wait, sorry, don't mean to step on anyone's toes with that
previous statement! And while I might not always be the biggest fan of some of the music
included, the recollections and personal stories are always top- notch!! Although would be nice
to see more hard rock/ metal, jazz and prog included!!!

June 15, 2018 @ 4:32 PM

Tyler Campbell

You know how I feel about KOTJ, Mike, but congrats on an amazing year filled with great music and incredible stories. Can't wait to hear more!

June 16, 2018 @ 12:29 PM