Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first. Goody. My Cavs won. That's great. I hope they'll win the next two games at home. Do this. Sweep them. My Indians won the second game. The first game was not so good though. My Orioles and Diamondbacks both lost. Bruins will bounce back tonight. Well, my condo is cleaning the garage on May 15. This sucks. I have someone rent my parking spot. A company found me this renter. Well, guess what is ggoing to happen. I told the person and she said that I will be getting less money because my renter will need to find a parking spot for a day, so this means I will get less money. This will happen in June as she doesn't know how much my renter will pay for parking that day. This has never happened to me before. I don't know how much money I'll lose. I hope it's not $100.00 or anything like that. I don't think it's right though.

May 4, 2018 @ 8:16 AM

sooooooo good!

I'm visiting & think I'm near TorontoMike's hood.

I'll say this; FBI Pizza is sooooooo good!

May 4, 2018 @ 8:49 AM

@sooooooo good!

It is good!

May 4, 2018 @ 8:50 AM

Rick

Sooooo good, but soooo expensive!

May 4, 2018 @ 8:56 AM

@Rick

May 4, 2018 @ 8:59 AM

bsmntdwllr73

PE's "He Got Game" on TMI this morning. Nice!! Too bad the Raptors didn't have
any last night! Too soon?!? A few years ago I was part of a charity trivia contest in
which that particular track was used as an audio clue. The song was paused
before the rapping started, so many contestants were thrown for a loop and answered
that it was the original cut by Buffalo Springfield, but not I, your not-so-humble Parkdale
Spectrum non-correspondent. I know my drum loops!

P.S., I think that you need to start a scintillating sub-posting section for all those exciting
Alberta oil reports recently posted on the blog! I've never been a driver, but I haven't been
this excited about oil since the heyday of J.R. Ewing!!

May 4, 2018 @ 9:28 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Last night, at about 9pm, me and the teenagers started yelling "fuck the game!" and we started to feel better. Try it!

That's why I played "He Got Game"...

May 4, 2018 @ 9:29 AM

Broni

@Mike @Rick
We make our own pizzas usually once a week using San Remo Bakery's fresh dough. $2 per ball which if you cut it in half and let it rise for half a day will make 2 pizzas. We also use San Remo's fresh pizza sauce which is $5.
Slap it on a pre-heated pizza stone for 15 minutes at 450F and we feed our family of 4 for less than $10 plus toppings.

May 4, 2018 @ 10:24 AM

sooooooo good!

re: Toronto Mike: @Rick - Yes! Once a week we get pizza. There are six mouths to feed. Making everyone happy at a place like that costs me 50-60 bucks. At Pizza Nova, it's half that.

&&&

@TorontoMike

Pizza Nova is my pizza chain of choice. They do make a good pie.

But that FBI Pizza we had is definitely a cut above. Quite a treat.

Camarra's Pizza on Dufferin is another pizza treasure. Expensive yes but sometimes we're worth it!

May 4, 2018 @ 10:58 AM

DUTCH

Brick oven place across from the Costco on the Queensway is very tasty name escapes me at the moment.

May 4, 2018 @ 11:07 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Mike wondered if I am going to keep my Raptors Devotee Twitter Handle. I have been through far worse with losing season after losing season and having to endure Andrea (Primo Pasta) Bargnani torture me with those awful commercials for too many years.

I had an interesting interaction with former Raptors play-by-play man Chuck Swirsky on the origins of his salami and cheese catchphrase that he used during his run here whenever the Raptors safely put away a game in the Win column.

ME: On the Fan 590 did you not have a story about the fan who told you how he would need to hear from you that the game was over and get his salami and cheese?

CHUCK: It was a letter and said he was a huge fan..afraid to hit the refrig....when the raps are close to putting the game away give him a shout out and he likes salami and cheese

ME: Thanks for clarifying the origins of your catch-phrase Chuck! #SalamiAndCheeseForever

May 4, 2018 @ 11:45 AM

twins from bolton

Thankfully nobody was injured with the school bus accident this morning in Bolton. Both my kids went to Humberview & took the bus everyday. They constantly had stories about the bus & driver with problems & I was concerned at times with them on the bus as many others were also.
Cavs in 5

May 4, 2018 @ 2:16 PM

Jim

Have you listened to Dean Blundell's second podcast? In it he mentions you and how you were "disrespectful" to him and paints a rather Blundell-esque picture of you grovelling for him to come on your show.

May 4, 2018 @ 2:33 PM

@Jim

I heard. He says lots of things like that that aren't true.

For example, I've asked him twice to come on the podcast, spread out over five years. Twice.

And he says Todd Shapiro is on my show every week or so to trash him. 332 episodes and Todd has been on exactly once.

Toronto Mike'd is not about Dean, despite what he thinks.

May 4, 2018 @ 2:44 PM

Irv

@TM/Jim

Hey, the fact your podcast is on the radar of Blundell is proof you're doing something right.

I always found Blundell to be the worst type of troll. He was all for dishing shit out, but the minute someone fired back, he got upset. He reminds me of Ezra Levant, another pussy. Years ago, he got into a pissing match with Shredd & Ragan on 103.3 The Edge in Buffalo. They OWNED the guy. They had these skits of "Dean Dumbell" where they mocked him repeatedly. Rumour was he got Corus Legal involved to get them to tone it down. Real tough guy. Then he proceeded to mock Buffalo for a week or more. #AwwMuffin.

May 4, 2018 @ 3:05 PM

Urooj Islam

@Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

I've heard several different stories from Chuck over the years about the origin of the iconic "Salami and cheese" catchphrase. One was the story you mentioned, another was that it was a shoutout to his wife at the time to prepare his favourite sandwich because the game is over and he is on the way home.

The story about the listener being needed to be assured the game is in hand doesn't really make sense to me because the original phrase was always "Get out the salami and cheese, mama! This ballgame is over!". Who is the "mama" he is referring to? The mystery continues.

Anyways, I miss Chuck and he was obviously very memorable considering we are talking about him a decade after he left the city. It's kind of sad how vanilla Matt Devlin is that he has been the Raptors play by play guy for 10 years and there's nothing that sticks in my mind about him, no call, no moment, nothing.

I'm very excited to watch Game 3 of Raptors/Cavaliers on ABC tomorrow, just to have a different perspective on our team instead of the same old boring Matt Devlin call. Even in the playoffs, there is no escape from him so I am really looking forward to tomorrow.

May 4, 2018 @ 3:21 PM

Irv

Roundhouse Radio sold.

link

May 4, 2018 @ 3:24 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Just caught a lyric video for an old Guns N' Roses track called "Shadow Of Your Love" which has
been available online for years, but will be officially released as part of an "Appetite For Destruction"
mega box set on June 29th. Great track and much better (to my ears) than some of the actual tracks
that ended up on the original, completed album. They never sounded as good as that first album
again, especially with the multi-keyboardists, horn sections and female backing vocalists of later
albums and tours. Hopefully there will eventually be some kind of reunion with Izzy Stradlin and
Steven Adler.

May 4, 2018 @ 3:27 PM

bsmntdwllr73

I also just came across a suitably sludgy new single/video from Alice In Chains called "The
One You Know." It doesn't have a beat that you can dance to or mindless lyrics about drugs,
''beyotches", and endless conspicuous consumption like so much of today's successful pop music
(Hi Irv, I can already predict your potential rebuttal!!), but it feels oh-so-right in these most
uncertain times. The vocal similarity to Layne Staley is still beyond uncanny. Chills!!

May 4, 2018 @ 4:08 PM

Irv

48 floors of stairs.
4 km of jogging
33 minutes (with 30 more early tonight).

#KicksDeathsAss.

May 4, 2018 @ 4:17 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Irv
Kicked Death's Ass (KDA) would make for a fantastic metal band name!!
Or AssKickedDeath, if you prefer!

May 4, 2018 @ 4:31 PM

Irv

@Basement Dweller

Maybe I'll get the tank on my new Harley painted with the grim reaper and "cheated death". The flash on my biker vest will look epic !

May 4, 2018 @ 4:52 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Irv
Whilst blasting Motorhead's "Killed By Death" and yelling "NOT!!" every time the chorus kicks in!!

May 4, 2018 @ 4:59 PM

Irv

@Basement

That's my retirement plan brother. Buy a new Harley Breakout, move to Arizona, marry a former Vegas escort named Misty & open a dusty watering hole with a big back yard. I'll play Sirius' Motorhead channel 24/7.

And get a legal conceal permit to carry my P226 when I go to get morning coffee.

#KilledByDeath.

May 4, 2018 @ 5:08 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Irv
I'm more of a 227 fan myself. Oh, you aren't talking about that Marla Gibbs sitcom from
the 1980s then?!? Well, good luck with all that. My retirement plan pretty well involves a
park bench or a mildly warm downtown sewer grater. A dead gambler I used to know (now
dead but not related to gambling debts!!) told me multiple times that 'he knew many old time
gamblers who moved down to Vegas and wound up marrying former show girls or waitresses
due to the eligible male population largely being transient.' Something to also potentially consider,
if you can afford it!!

May 4, 2018 @ 5:15 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Should read as sewer grate, not grater!! Gosh darn my crappy non-editing skills!!

May 4, 2018 @ 5:17 PM

Irv

@Basement

SIG makes great handguns. They're expensive but they're good quality. I've always liked the 226 and the 229. I'm a gun fan but not the crazy American type that wants a fully auto M4 in his house.

I like Vegas, Arizona & definitely Montana. I like the free spirit and the wide open spaces. I've gone to Vegas multiple times for the Defcon hacker conference, but I've actually never gambled. I have a sort of "extreme" streak in my personality so I could see me getting drunk, marrying an escort and blowing 25 grand on slot machines. So I don't gamble.

May 4, 2018 @ 5:33 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Irv
My father was somewhat of a gambler. Died broke but it didn't have anything to do with
gambling. Never had any interest in getting into that kind of lifestyle myself. As for guns,
I'd wind-up accidentally taking myself out due to my extreme ASD-related clumsiness. Also,
I tried archery as a youngster and it was a complete disaster, so no future bow-hunting trips
with good ol' Ted Nugent in this lifetime, sadly!!!

May 4, 2018 @ 5:39 PM

Irv

@Basement

I've did security related work (technical, not body guard) at casino's. Their surveillance system is *beyond awesome* and it pipes into a problem gamblers database. They can do facial recognition. We could actually narrow in and read the name on a guy's debit or credit card while it was in his hand.

I did learn problem gambling is very real. 10 years ago I was a security guard at a hotel part time & sometimes I'd have to get a guy out of the VLT room. They'd lose everything and then break down. The stuff I saw at the casino's was something else. Guys buried in debt & basically tossing away their kids food money for one more roll of the dice. I'd watch in the morning when the slots would open and there was a lineup. The gamblers would run to the machines they wanted, put up a sign and go get their coffee & come back. My career (last 5 years) has put me around a lot of the really ugly side of life though I'm pretty much straight and narrow (with a hard edge). I just figured it was better to stay away from gambling though I admit I'd like to try.

As for guns, I'm well trained and like shooting on a Saturday afternoon. There is no Ted Nugent in me. I'm not a fan of the whole American "everyone is armed" crap either. Anyone can shoot a gun. Nothing is more dangerous than some civilian with a weapon who thinks he can play "Clint Eastwood" in a precarious situation. I get a laugh out of Yanks who think they by arming civilians they'll help stop all the gun slaughter. You need to be trained in rules of engagement & crisis situations. You get that training in the Armed Forces. Plus it's kick ass to shoot a 84mm Howitzer.

May 4, 2018 @ 6:04 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Irv, loved your retirement plans, lol, get the Harleys tank paint also as a tattoo, that would round it out.
As for gambling ( and alcohol) it has damaged a number of my family over the years, outside of lottery tickets for me, that is the extent of my gambling.

May 4, 2018 @ 7:01 PM

dale

I would really like to see Joey Bats do well with the Braves as others may not, but he was the cornerstone for the Jays for Many years. JD is now but will leave for more $ than Jays offer.
Edwin left reluctantly & Cheryl is so hyped with him with Cleveland.
Sports overall is a crapshoot with winners & losers.
Last Team Standing wins.

May 4, 2018 @ 9:12 PM

Blind Dave

@Irv: KDA - Kick Death's Ass would indeed be a great metal name. Don't forget to do the cover shoot in a lonely, grey forest and look very lost and forlorn...

I've never gambled, which is good thing because I battled alcoholism for 20+ years and still tend to be very addictive-compulsive. Fortunately, I am dry as a bone for 20+ years also, but the early years were a long, hard road.

I remember Pizza Nova from my Toronto days in the 80's and 90's and I agree it was the best of the chains. Glad to hear it's still clipping along. We have Family Pizza out here and we have an excellent outlet. Best in the city and my lovely has already told me we are ordering tomorrow evening.

May 4, 2018 @ 10:53 PM

Cheryl

Hockey sucked last night. Bruins lost. Well, they will win the next three. I told you the Bruins will win the cup. Baseball really sucked last night. At least my Indians did fight back and tied the game, but they lost it in the end. Jose Ramirez and Brad immer hit homers. My Orioles lost again and my Diamondbacks lost again. My Cavs will win tonight. I really need Cavs to win. They have to win. Go Cavs. Well, I don't like my rent being taken away. I mean that I didn't decide to have the garage cleaned. It's not like I said I want my parking spot for a day. Well, this bitch wants to take money away from me because my renter has to find another place to park for a day. That's not right. It really isn't. Go Cavs and I mean it.

May 5, 2018 @ 8:13 AM

Irv

Ontario Proud: What's the difference between Kathleen Wynne and a dumpster fire? A dumpster fire produces affordable light and heat.

Wow, how original. I'm crushed they haven't answered my questions.

May 5, 2018 @ 11:00 AM

Rick C in Oakville

@Irv, nice one. This election and the last Federal and the US elections, is starting to make me believe there needs to be a new party that mediates the far left the Liberals have swung, to the far right of the Conservatives. A party with a social conscience, but fiscally responsible.
Too bad Christine Elliot hadn't been elected, as it seems most people I talk to to feel they have much of a choice, hold your nose, vote Liberals or vote Conservative.

May 5, 2018 @ 11:22 AM

Wefewee

Spent part of my Friday lunchtime logging into Open Mike and all was good.
And after logging in to catch up today, I have to scroll sideways again!
I give up.

May 5, 2018 @ 12:39 PM

@Wefewee

That happens when someone drops in a long link that has no dashes. It won't automatically wrap. Will fix soon.

May 5, 2018 @ 12:45 PM

markosaar

@Rick C in Oakville,

I used to be "socially liberal, fiscally conservative".

Then one day it suddenly dawned on me that there was no such thing as a fiscal conservative. The Conservative parties in Canada just spend money differently on priorities I don't agree with. Ironically the most fiscally conservative minister we've had federally, in my memory, was Paul Martin.

May 5, 2018 @ 1:37 PM

Urooj Islam

Did you guys see that Toronto Mike has Stephen LeDrew and Ann Rohmer listed as back to back future guests on the podcast?

That's fucking incredible.

May 5, 2018 @ 6:49 PM

Cheryl

Well, it's Bob Seger's birthday today, so let's all wish Bob Seger a happy birthday. He's the best and should be the king. Bob Seger is not going to die any time soon. Everyone should wish him a very happy birthday. How about those Cavs. It got fricken close in the end. That was no good, but at least they won it at the last second. Please win one more game tomorrow. I really need to win this series. Go Cavs and I mean it. If somehow they lose the next four, then I will probably be cheering for the Celtics since they are winning that series. Bruins will win tonight. Yes, they will. I said the Bruins will win the cup. Baseball sucked yesterday. My Indians and Orioles both lost. Well, my Diamondbacks won. Just remember today is Bob Seger's birthday.

May 6, 2018 @ 7:58 AM

Day 3 without internet.... Rogers is working on it, apparently. It came down with the wind storm on Friday and decided to stay down, I guess. All Rogers customers in my hood are experiencing the same outage.

p.s. All hail the king.

May 6, 2018 @ 8:23 AM

where's the U.N.

re: Toronto Mike: " .. p.s. All hail the king .. "

Isn't it about time for the U.N. to step in to stop the annual slaughter of Canadian Raptors by a foreign marauder?

& yes, but Damn, the King is good.

May 6, 2018 @ 10:21 AM

collingwood dave

@ Blind Dave, I too battled alcohol. I will be sober 2 years August 10. But I must admit I am smoking weed like a champ..

May 6, 2018 @ 12:59 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@TM, I am still one of the holdouts for the total cashless society, just because of the problem you are experiencing.
I still remember August 2003 and the major power outage that crippled the northern states and Ontario as collateral damage.

May 6, 2018 @ 2:43 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Happy 73rd birthday to Bob Seger!! 5 months and one day until Johnny Cougar's 67th.
Everyone has now been put on high alert. So go get out your American Fool 8-tracks
and start singin' Jack and Diane en mass immediately. Or else....!!!

May 6, 2018 @ 3:34 PM

bsmntdwllr73

About an hour ago I just finished watching the latest "epic" Marvel movie Avengers: Infinity Bore
(after a three film hiatus, minus that crappy Spidey reboot), and sadly I still feel the same way about these flicks: They aren't for me. Thank Stan L. I used a gift card to pay for my over-inflated 3D
admission ticket! The $8 popcorn came out of my pocket. As a wee one I learned to read thanks to
comic books and this is a hobby that has followed me somewhat into middle age. Comics use to be
fun even when occasional gravitas and tragedy played a large part in many classic origin stories.
Most of these flicks turn the serious up to eleven and it really becomes hard to take after awhile
(at least for me). At least Deadpool 2 in a couple of weeks will be a refreshing change of pace.
Although I know of at least one hardcore comic fan who hates the first film with a passion because
it dared to take the piss out of many classic comic book tropes. That's why it was great!! Sermon over!!!

May 6, 2018 @ 3:40 PM

Anonymous

I have a question for Mike. I know you bike ride the Martin Goodman Trail. Last year there was so much construction on or near the trail. I haven't been out that way yet this season. Is the construction just west of the Humber Bridge finished? It's was right on the path. Had to always get off my bike and walk around. Thanks.

Also, does anyone know if Commissioners street has been repaved? Last year they were doing some work there.

May 6, 2018 @ 3:49 PM

@[Anonymous]

Those two spots on the MGT west of the bridge are open now. They're still applying finishing touches, but no more detour.

Also, the bike lanes between Norris Cres and First Street is now open. It's fantastic.

May 6, 2018 @ 5:22 PM

dale

Just thinking, what would LeBron do if Brad Marchand liked him on his face after scoring a 3 pointer if they played the same sport.

Cheryl - who are you rooting for now since the Bruins with your promise of them to win are DONE.

Damage on my property from Friday's storm with fence & trees damaged & down. Thankfully didn't lose any shingles on my roof as many neighbors did.

May 6, 2018 @ 9:13 PM

dale

Should have wrote licked not liked, a senior moment.

May 6, 2018 @ 9:30 PM

Anonomass

How about MY LV Golden Showers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They put 3 in the pot then,shut the lid on the Sharks for another shut-out.
On to the next round,with a little rest in-between.
The only bad thing today is that I have to go downtown
for an appointment today and it will cost me like $35.95 to park my car
for the day.
Hail to my Golden Showers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2018 @ 3:37 AM

Cheryl

Yes, Bruins lost. That is no good. I don't know about the cup I will be paying more attention to basketball and baseball. Anyway, baseball sucked except my Diamondbacks won again yesterday. That's great. My Indians and Orioles lost though. Yes, Bob Seger is 73 years old. I mean 73 years young. He has many more years to live. My Cavs will win tonight. I hope so. Just do it. Make the series end tonight. Come on Cavs.

May 7, 2018 @ 7:53 AM

Urooj Islam

With the Capitals finally getting over the Penguins hurdle, it gives me hope that the Raptors will beat the Cavaliers one day.

Okay, maybe not.

Anyways, the rest of the Stanley Cup playoffs should be fun, Only one (1) combined Stanley Cup between the Predators, Jets, Lightning, Capitals and Golden Knights. Good to get some new blood.

May 7, 2018 @ 10:08 PM

Cheryl

My Cavs won last night. That's great. My Cavs are winning it all. The Raptors choked. Derozan got thrown out and rightfully so. He hit Jordan Clarkson. Serves him right. Anyway, bye bye Raptors. Cavs are winning it all again this year.

May 8, 2018 @ 7:07 AM

H.o.E.

"DNA has a half life of 521 years, so the oldest organism that could be cloned could never be more than 2 million years old -- so no dinosaurs!"
What?! The premise of the movie was as fictional as its fake-looking special effects?
And, no, I do not claim to know how dinosaurs really looked. I just remember walking into a department store not long after the movie became available on home video (VHS or DVD, whatever it was at that time) and seeing it on their TVs, and thinking it looked like a cartoon superimposed on live action.

May 8, 2018 @ 8:46 AM

Irv

@HOE

This blog, SOWNY and the Toronto Sun comments are home to many dinosaurs.

May 8, 2018 @ 9:44 AM

dale

Roberto Osuna charged with assault last night in Toronto. MLB rules even if charged & not convicted there will be a hefty suspension. Reyes got 51 games & charges were dropped.
Bring back Henke.

May 8, 2018 @ 2:10 PM

Urooj Islam

I finally found non-white people in Winnipeg's "Whiteout" last night.

"Whiteout" always makes me laugh because of Winnipeg's demographics. Unintentional puns are great.

May 8, 2018 @ 3:26 PM

Irv

I just want to say #Ebro on #Beats1 (Apple Music radio) is the fucking bomb.

May 8, 2018 @ 4:29 PM

Cheryl

Baseball sucked last night except my Diamondbacks won. My Indians lost. Corey Kluber didn't pitch as well as usual. Also my Orioles lost as well. Who in the hell is Tom Henky anyway? I haven't heard of him. Honestly I haven't. Well, we'll find out who my Cavs play next. Doesn't matter. My Cavs will win it all. I know they will. Trust me.

May 9, 2018 @ 7:18 AM

Beatts

Cheryl, I'm curious. How many cats do you own? We have two.

May 9, 2018 @ 8:28 AM

Cheryl

How about those Indians. That was a great win. Carlos Carrasco was awesome. He even got an RBI. Well, Yonder Alonso and Franky Lindor homered as well. My Orioles also managed to win. Chris Davis homered. Mark Trumbo doubled in a couple runs. My Diamondbacks lost though. Well, my Cavs play the Celtics. That starts on Sunday. Cavs are winning it all. Yes, they will do it again because they're the best. I don't have any cats. I don't own any cats.

May 10, 2018 @ 8:05 AM

Cheryl

I can't find today's Open Mike. I don't know why it hides, but it does. I opened and closed my browser. No new Open Mike. I can't find it anyway. Well, my Orioles won. That's great. They're on a win streak now. Let's hope it continues. My Diamondbacks lost though. That's no good. My Indians had a day off yesterday. Hopefully they'll win.

May 11, 2018 @ 9:08 AM

Beatts

It doesn't hide Cheryl.

I've told you a few times now to hit F5 and your browser will refresh and it will magically appear....

May 11, 2018 @ 9:33 AM

@Cheryl

Sorry, it was late today. My apologies.

May 11, 2018 @ 9:34 AM