Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first. Goody. At least I can't find any other comments so first it is. Well, my Cavs won. They almost lost, but they won. That's great, but I need them to keep winning. My Nets also won. Also my Habs finally won a game. That's great, but no playoffs for them. My Orioles and Diamondbacks won. My Indians didn't play, but the home opener is today. I got more junk mail from Rogers again. I get so much stupid mail. I hate getting all this stupid mail. Leave me alone, Rogers. I hate Rogers. I am sticking with Primus. I wish those real estate people would leave me alone as well. They don't know what it means that if I want to sell, I will call them, so leave the hell alone. Don't bug me, stupid real estate people. I am not selling, so you're wasting your fricken time. If I am selling, I'll call, and then you can contact me.

April 6, 2018 @ 8:14 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Cheryl: Everybody gets junk mail, whether its from Rogers, pizza places, grocery stores, etc... Don't worry about it. Just throw it out.

April 6, 2018 @ 8:45 AM

If anyone has a question for Richard Crouse, let me know!

April 6, 2018 @ 9:03 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - can you ask him where babies come from? No one seems to want to give me an answer

April 6, 2018 @ 9:40 AM

@Philly-Bob

Are we sure he knows?

April 6, 2018 @ 9:44 AM

Ryan G

Bikeshare - you and I need to talk.

A few weeks back I wrote about getting swiped by a (slow moving) car while riding a Bikeshare bike to work on Sherbourne. I dodged a bullet that day, but nothing could be prepare me for Bikeshare's next weapon of choice.

Last week I met a former colleague after work one night at a joint on the Danforth called The Wren. I rode a Bikeshare there, and after we had a few pints, I said my goodbye to her and grabbed a another bike to head back to my place in the Cabbagetown area. It was about 10pm and it wasn't too busy along Danforth when I came up to a red light. I did what they call an Idaho stop, where I slowed down and went through the light as no traffic was around.

About 30 seconds later, some 50 something year old guy flew up beside me on his own bike, quite close to me. He was a bit wild eyed and really pissed off. "You ran through that red light back there!", he yelled. Oh I see, I thought..citizen activist. It caught me off guard at just how aggressive he was, but I just looked away and ignored him. But, he decided I hadn't received the message, so he kept chirping at me, and I think he interpreted my ignoring him as fear of him. This was not the case.

See, I don't start trouble, but if someone pushes me into a corner, I will defend myself. He kept riding along and egging me on, until I had enough. So I turned to him and, summoning my fiercest Irish-blooded barbaric yawp, I told him plain and simply, to fuck off. He chose to ignore said suggestion and began swerving his bike into me a bit, at which I kicked out at him. At this point, it was clear that it was time to settle this little misunderstanding old school playground style.

I jumped off the bike, and he did the same. He was about my size, maybe a bit leaner but he was ready to go. I started undoing my heavy jacket, which prompted him to grab his backpack. I've seen this move before. Citizen activists start shit up, then pull out a phone to record the aftermath. Fucking coward. But no, I was wrong. After he reaches into his backpack, he pulls out what seems to be about a 10" hunting knife. It's in a sheath, and as he pulls the knife free he readies for action and takes a fighting stance. His back is to the street, and I try to adjust my eyes and mind to the situation. My immediate thought was..no way that's real. At that precise moment, I see a police car fly up behind him, throw the lights on, and two cops jump out, pulling their guns, yelling at him to drop the weapon. Wisely, he does. They grab him from behind and slam him onto the car, cuffing him.

I'm the type of person who's beliefs lean more towards coincidence than luck, but I was certainly glad both me and that police cruiser happened to be at the same place at the same time.

As for you Bikeshare, we're breaking up.

April 6, 2018 @ 10:21 AM

@Ryan G

That's crazy. As I've written here before, I practice the Idaho stop myself when there's no traffic. Stop signs become Yield signs and red lights become stop signs.

A hunting knife?!?!??!

Crazy.

April 6, 2018 @ 10:27 AM

Ryan G

@Toronto Mike.

Tell me about it. At my age I thought all my knife fights were behind me.

April 6, 2018 @ 10:39 AM

@Ryan G

I'm just wondering what I would have done in that situation.

I think I'd get into the hardest gear and bike like my life depended on it!

April 6, 2018 @ 10:42 AM

Ryan G

@Toronto Mike

I tried to avoid a confrontation..I really did, but when he started swerving into me it seemed more dangerous to remain on a fast moving bike. I managed to temper my temper for a few seconds, but I made the decision to stop and deal with this. If I had kept riding, I'm certain he would have followed me right home.

April 6, 2018 @ 10:59 AM

@Ryan G

I sure wouldn't have biked home... maybe to the nearest police station? Scary shit...

When I was working at Food City at the Galleria Mall I went out to the parking lot to bring in the buggies and saw two guys yelling at each other and one guy got out of his car, opened his trunk, took out a pipe and started hitting the other guy over the head. I walked over to the payphone and called 911. It remains the only time in my life I've had to call 911.

April 6, 2018 @ 11:01 AM

markosaar

@Ryan G,

Jesus fuck.

At first when I was reading it echoed this post I happened to see earlier: link

But that was a driver pulling a knife, not a cyclist.

+1 to The Wren. My favourite bar nearby for sure.

But what does this have to do with Bike Share?? Do you ride a 'normal' bike otherwise? I feel like this shit happens to all cyclists. I've had drivers freak the fuck out at me for making a left turn from the left turn lane, ringing my bell, passing slow cyclists (safely) in the regular traffic lane, etc.

For my own part, I haven't ridden a bike since getting doored in November by a truck parked in a bike lane. Smashed my index finger. It's still fucked. Another follow-up with the surgeon this evening. Looking like I'm going to need a third surgery on it.

April 6, 2018 @ 11:03 AM

James Edgar

@Ryan G WTF??? That's why it's best not to respond to those kind of fucktards. You never know who might have a weapon these days. that is seriously fucked up.

April 6, 2018 @ 11:10 AM

Urooj Islam

Can you ask Richard about the superhero/comic book movie genre and its complete current domination of the industry?

Does he enjoy them? Will they ever hit a saturation point? Or will audiences will never get enough?

April 6, 2018 @ 11:21 AM

Broni

@ Ryan G
I had a really weird, out-of-nowhere aggressive situation with a vehicle a few months ago at Queensway/Park Lawn...although luckily no knife was involved. Minding my own business on my bicycle, waiting for the red light at the side of the road. Suddenly some dude in a car decides I'm too close to traffic, so he swerves in front of me, just a few inches away. Close enough for me to slap his car, so I did. He stops his car, gets out and makes like he's ready to fight. I jumped off my bike and did what I've heard many cyclists advocate usually works in these situations. I grabbed my U-Lock and started swinging my arms like Bart Simpson. ("If you get hit, it's not my fault"). Worked like a charm. He scampered back into his car and whimpered away like the lame coward he is.

April 6, 2018 @ 11:37 AM

Philly-Bob

Re: Cyclists

While I will be the first to admit that a lot of drivers downtown are assholes, the same is true of a lot of cyclists. I used to work sales in the downtown core and the number of times i had cyclists not observe proper right of way at lights and stop signs was astounding. I would get cut off, bikes turning when it wasn't thier right of way, and general trying to sneak around cars.

All I'm saying is that, like in most things in life, there are assholes on both sides.

Glad you're safe Ryan G!

April 6, 2018 @ 11:50 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - if Richard doesn't know the answer, maybe you could tackle it on the podcast and enlighten us all lol

April 6, 2018 @ 11:51 AM

Ryan G

@Markosaar

What does my story have to do with Bikeshare? Nothing. It was just a fun way to top and tail the story.

April 6, 2018 @ 12:15 PM

Wefewee

Hey Mike - totally random comment/request here.
When I open my Friday ‘Open Mike’
Blog (on my iPhone 5), the column width exceeds my screen width and when I reduce the screen to fit, the font is so small that I can hardly see it.
Short of turning my phone sideways, is there something I can do at my end or, something at your end?
Sorry and thanks.

April 6, 2018 @ 12:21 PM

Ryan G

@Marosaar -
after The Wren we stopped in at this cool little place one or two doors west of there - literally about 20 feet away - do you know the name of it? I loved the vibe in there. It had a bit of a Betty's vibe, which is my local fave spot.

April 6, 2018 @ 12:26 PM

Patrick

Urooj Islam - Not Richard Crouse but among myself and my comic reading pals we've theorized that the current superhero trend is going to end once the Infinity War movies (the upcoming one and the one after it) are out and done. That was be nearly a decade, a generation of kids who grew up with them and also many of the actors (Evans, Hemsworth and RDJ) moving on the bubble will be bursting for the MCU and it will dial down for a bit over all.

Just a theory mind you but not many can argue especially when you hear "super hero fatigue" being tossed about by even the hardcore fans of the flicks.

April 6, 2018 @ 12:47 PM

markosaar

Re: Drivers

While I will be the first to admit that a lot of cyclists downtown are assholes, the same is true of a lot of drivers. I used to work sales in the downtown core and the number of times i had driverss not observe proper right of way at lights and stop signs was astounding. I would get cut off, cars turning when it wasn't thier right of way, and general trying to sneak around bikes.

Fuck you Ryan G!

April 6, 2018 @ 1:34 PM

markosaar

@Ryan G,

Oddly a friend said something like that last time she was at the Wren too hah. I'll make a point of looking next time I walk by.

April 6, 2018 @ 1:35 PM

Ryan G

@Markosaar - thanks..but i'm not sure why you told me to go fuck myself. Looking for a knife fight perchance? ;-)

April 6, 2018 @ 1:47 PM

markosaar

It wasn't personal. I just hate that patronising bullshit I was mocking.

April 6, 2018 @ 2:11 PM

Philly-Bob

@markosaar - how is seeing both sides of the argument "patronizing bullshit"? All i said was that neither group of people held the monopoly on being assholes....

I think we as a society would be a lot better off if we could see both sides of things.

April 6, 2018 @ 2:14 PM

dale

Jonathan Pitre a true inspiration for everyone. The "Butterfly Boy" passed away last night at 17 years old with EB disease. For those who understand, no explanation is necessary & for those who don't, no explanation will suffice. An exceptional young man who never complained about his disease & wanted to live his life the best he could & educating others with EB.
He loved hockey, lived in Ottawa & the Sens took him as a mentor.
"Butterflies as free to fly, so fly away BYE BYE" as no more suffering. Condolences also to his MOM who was by his side since he was born.
RIP Jonathan

April 6, 2018 @ 2:16 PM

GUNTer

just throwing this out to the hivemind. any concrete knowledge here? i want to get my bottom concrete step repaired (pulling away from original concrete walkway) and possibly replace or widen the concrete walkway to the sidewalk. i have a few people coming to give me a quote - but i am totally in the fog on this one - i have no idea if this should cost 1K or 7K or something in between.

April 6, 2018 @ 2:27 PM

@Wefewee

Thanks for letting me know!

markosaar left a comment with a link that had no dashes so the browser wouldn't break it - so it forced the page to the width of that url. I fixed the problem by turning the link into a hyperlinked "link".

April 6, 2018 @ 4:01 PM

jj

Ryan G - jeepers, glad you're ok. at the end of the day, anyone who pulls out a weapon because of someone else running a red light (and they weren't even in harms way) is definitely not working with a full toolbox... poor Bikeshare got dumped!

April 6, 2018 @ 6:49 PM

Urooj Islam

The upcoming Dan Shulman episode of Toronto Mike'd joins the upcoming Ann Rohmer episode in the group of episodes that cannot be missed.

Mike will try to get each of them to commit to a KOTJ episode at least 50 times.

April 6, 2018 @ 8:02 PM

@Urooj Islam

Dan has told me I have 45 minutes and I'm now negotiating my way to an hour. I really need two hours, but I don't have much leverage here.

April 6, 2018 @ 8:12 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mike: Do you have to deal with a pr guy to get Dan on?

April 6, 2018 @ 11:25 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

No. I'm dealing with Dan directly. No PR involved.

April 7, 2018 @ 7:33 AM

Cheryl

I requested that Canada Post don't put junk mail in my box. They can do it if it's unaddressed mail, but mail gets addressed to me and so they have to send it. I have to scan the mail to see if it's important or not. I go out of my way to scan it and it's same old same old Rogers or some real estate agent. Real estate agents are bugging me a lot lately, but I'm not selling. My Cavs lost last night. They tried to come back again and win, but they didn't. LeBron missed a couple free throws on purpose. Okay. Why would you miss a free throw on purpose? I don't get it. My Cavs are in fourth place. They better find a way to make it to the finals. My Suns also lost. My Indians won their home opener. That's great. My Orioles also won. My Diamondbacks didn't play. Habs at Leafs tonight. I'll have to miss it as I'm going out for dinner, or at least I'll miss a good part of it. My Habs better win. Well, they're not making the playoffs.

April 7, 2018 @ 7:52 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Cheryl, some tips on how to minimize by being bugged by real estate agents, as that is something I never do, thanks to being in the business long enough for repeat clients and referrals from them, topped off with my network of friends mainly through all the sports I play.

Firstly, if you are registered on the DO NOT CALL LIST, and you can do it for a cell phone as well as a home line, they are not allowed to call you, and if they do, you should get their information and report them, though there is very little teeth on enforcement.

The unaddressed real estate mail may be removed from Canada Post, but many agents hire runners to drop their postcards into mailboxes or they do it themselves, so you won't be able to stop that, even with a sticker on your mailbox telling them to stop.

Doorknockers can still do it even with the new legislation, as that is targeted for the scum of the earth selling you hot water tanks that you don't need with ridiculous contracts that you pay many times over the true cost. You do not have to answer the door though, easiest way to avoid them.

#1 piece of advice when you do decide to sell, make sure you choose an agent who works in the business full-time, and ask your friends/family for 2 or 3 agents they have used who did an excellent job for them, and start the interviewing process. Just keep in mind that not every agent who does an evaluation will provide you with their suggested listing price range and how long it would take to sell on the market, the top ones present their marketing plan, discuss how Agency works, on how they represent you, and only do that once selected. Be cautious, as many agents will give you a suggested selling price range that is much higher than the true market value price in order to get the listing, and once they have it, will hammer you for a price reduction to sell it. This is a huge problem as you will sit on the market too long and you will sell for less and take longer to do so had it been priced correctly initially.

Just keep in mind that most real estate agents act ethically and it is the bad ones who ruin it for most of the industry unfortunately. I just joined a committee of agents from various brokerages to discuss how to clean up the industry ourselves, and make sure it is practiced in an ethically and transparent way, but it will take time to do so, as the government and brokerages have been slow to act on this.

April 7, 2018 @ 9:06 AM

Anonomass

"Get up ball,Get up ball"
Shut up Buck ! ,Shut up Buck !

April 7, 2018 @ 10:01 AM

Aidan

I can't believe the Jays had an 8-0 lead and then allowed 5 runs. Thank goodness they won. They were lucky they had such a huge lead or else they would have lost.

So Paul Bliss is suing Bell Media/CTV for $7.5 Million. Interestingly enough, he admits he had an encounter with his accuser but it was consensual.

April 7, 2018 @ 11:09 AM

Wefewee

Seems to be all fixed, Mike - thanks!

April 7, 2018 @ 1:24 PM

andrew

Thoughts & prayers for all those affected by the tragedy in Humboldt Sask. yesterday. Cannot imagine what everyone is going through. Lots of support from everywhere especially the NHL.
A game is a game, but life must be appreciated one day at a time.

April 7, 2018 @ 3:48 PM

Cheryl

Well, I'm not planning to sell any time soon. These agents don't call me or knock on my door, but they put mail in my mailbox. Hockey sucked last night. My Habs lost again. That's no good. My Coyotes lost again. Baseball sucked as well. My Indians, Orioles, and Diamondbacks all lost. That's not good at all. My Nets won last night, but they won't make the playoffs. I need my Cavs to keep winning. I want my Cavs to go to the finals.

April 8, 2018 @ 7:54 AM

Anonymous

Well with all the news about changes at q 107 here's one that rock radio fans should enjoy. Rock station from Detroit from the 1980'S. WRIF FM. Two clips one somewhat mainstream but enjoyable for nostalgic reasons and the other more like what CFNY was doing back in the early 80's from a show called the WRIF Rock Cafe. Quality is excellent on both clips except for a live segment by the Who:

April 8, 2018 @ 9:13 AM

Nick

@andrew

What exactly are "thoughts & prayers" supposed to do?

April 8, 2018 @ 11:46 AM

Cheryl

Well, baseball was good yesterday. My Indians, Orioles, and Diamondbacks all won. That was something, Yan Gomes hitting a walk off for my Indians. Well, my Cavs need to win tonight. I'm worried. I really really want my Cavs to do well in the playoffs. I will be cheering for the Bruins over the Leafs since my Habs and Coyotes are done.

April 9, 2018 @ 8:02 AM

markosaar

@Philly-Bob,

Because it's the same old and completely useless. "Both sides" is irrelevant when the murder count is several magnitudes higher on one side.

April 9, 2018 @ 8:42 AM

Irv

@Nick

Well they can't do much but it's just people's way of sending their sympathies and expressing their shock. I get that sometimes it probably feels "cliche" but in this situation I don't think it is.

April 9, 2018 @ 9:10 AM

I see the #prayersforhumboldt hashtag trending, and the usual "thoughts and prayers" flying about. Like Irv said, for many this is what makes them feel better.

You'll never see me using that hash tag or sending prayers to anyone for any reason, but I certainly understand why believers would find solace in that. This is a tragic, senseless happening... no judgements here.

April 9, 2018 @ 9:15 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I saw two films over the weekend: "A Quiet Place" is a well made thriller but derivative of many other
films. Obviously not a lot of dialogue, and could have totally done with a verbose Quentin Tarantino
rewrite, and a guest appearance from Samuel L. Jackson and a multitude of his legendary MFer
utterances!!! I also watched "Blockers", and please don't believe that it is a "Superbad" for girls/
women (I'm supposedly a dude, DNA tests pending(!), so perhaps I don't get a say in these conflicted
times?!? "Superbad" not only was hilarious but it had a lot of heart. Other than one of the young
female characters, the other teens didn't really get much character development. And the main older
characters were all reprising roles/types that they had portrayed in other films. Plus, after "Trainwreck", I really didn't need to see John Cena's ass ever again!!!

April 9, 2018 @ 1:34 PM

@Mike
I belatedly listened to Friday's TMI and while I enjoyed the use of The Scorpions' "Wind of
Change" as bumper music, it left me pondering the following: Who would win in an epic power
ballad whistle-off between The Scorps' tiny Klaus Meine and G N'R's beefy W. Axl Rose ("Patience")?
My non-money(!) is definitely on Mr. Brownstone's number one 'client' winning any such hypothetical match with that Teutonic Hurricane Summoner!!

April 9, 2018 @ 1:41 PM

andrew

Imagine being a parent or family member of each of the 2 victims of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash where 1 was identified as passed away & other still alive. RCMP disclosed today they made a MISTAKE with identifications. A MISTAKE NO but a life changing Fuck Up.

April 9, 2018 @ 2:19 PM

Irv

@Andrew

I understand the concern about the mistake but I'll say one thing. Take into consideration this crash happened in the a very remote area. Local police and EMS would have been overwhelmed with something like this. I read they had 3 STARS Air Ambulance's dispatched out there. There are 11 in total across all 3 prairie provinces. Those first responders will suffer from PTSD and have nightmares for the rest of their life. Further, I believe I read all the guys on the team had colored their hair the same color for the playoff game & did not have ID on them.

I used to live in Banff. When STARS came in it flew right over my house (literally) but it always gave me a chill because I knew someone was seriously injured. And having back country survival training and avalanche experience I know that accidents and injuries in remote regions are a much different situation than in an urbanized area. These folks made an error. It's regrettable but it's also understandable given the absolute chaos that must have ensued.

April 9, 2018 @ 3:25 PM

andrew

@Irv
They didn't disclose the names until early yesterday. That was my concern & there was also a female trainer on the bus & nothing said about her until I heard today.

April 9, 2018 @ 4:07 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Cavs won. That's great. They need to win the last one tomorrow and then win lots in the playoffs. Find a way to do this. My Nets also won. That's good, but they're not going anywhere. Baseball was good last night except my Orioles got clobbered. What a shame. Dylan Bundy pitched a gem through most of the game and got no run support. My Indians won though. That's great. Corey Kluber pitched a gem. He's the best. Brad Zimmer hit a home run. My Diamondbacks also won. Well, yes, I'm cheering for the Bruins. They'll win.

April 10, 2018 @ 6:59 AM

@Mike
Once again congrats on great TMI bumper music today!! Sure wish I could find a sweet job like
that!! However, can't believe that you didn't mention that Lindsey Buckingham got booted out of
Fleetwood Hack and was replaced by Mike Campbell from The Heartbreakers and Neil Finn from
Crowded House. I guess Mr. B. really can go his own way now!! Too soon?!?

April 10, 2018 @ 9:08 AM

jj

andrew - it's a complete nightmare to misidentify a victim no doubt - but at the end of the day, I think the families of the living and the passed away are all grieving together - so even though one son is alive, so many others have died that I think it won't ever be a big deal. Just another completely messed up thing to come out of something truly tragic.

April 10, 2018 @ 9:12 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Rick Astley was on CTV's Your Morning about an hour ago and he Rickrolled their weatherman
Brandon Gonez. For the uninitiated, Rickrolling is when you click on a link and are instead met
with a clip from Mr. Astley's classic "Never Gonna Give You Up" video. In this case, instead of
weather graphics, Mr. Gonez's 8:30 segment was hijacked by the former Alfred E. Newman/Howdy
Doody lookalike himself, if now somewhat beefier and of darker hair. Apparently he is playing a
concert at the Opera House on Friday night. As part of his encore he often does a version of "Highway
To Hell"(!!) from behind the drumkit and it totally rocks/works!!

April 10, 2018 @ 9:31 AM

bsmntdwllr73

As requested by the Proprietor, I'm retyping the following from the Happy 4th Birthday Thread!:

@Mike
Just saw the Tweet about how the average podcast listener listens to an average of 5 podcasts
a week. I know that you have a busy week ahead with 3 episodes, but you've done four in a week
at least once, no? I find it very hard to listen to other podcasts as they always pale in comparison,
and as they say, you never forget your first!! (Involuntarily removing lips from ass right 'bout now!!!)

April 10, 2018 @ 10:36 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Technically I'm recording 4 episodes this week (Tuesday - Monday) because Michael Hainsworth visits on Monday!

April 10, 2018 @ 11:42 AM

markosaar

...I watched Ready Player One over the weekend.

Masterpiece it was not, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. I mean, it was Pretty Okay. And probably one of Spielberg's better movies in a while.

I was surprised that it depended far less on 80s nostalgia than it was hyped/derided for. I thought that would actually be an improvement in the movie over the book. It's one thing to fill a book with obscure references, another to actually show them or play the music. Like young people are likely to have heard the music before SOMEWHERE, though a written reference to it could be completely meaningless.

It follows the book -- with reasonable poetic license -- quite closely for a while, but does eventually deviate quite strongly, perhaps to save time. After that point, some of the alternate situations are actually ... great. Don't want to spoil, but some absolutely great clever throwbacks.

I wish the movie had maybe spent more time on how people in VR are getting along in real-life, but it still handled it better than any other movie of the kind I can think of, and is perhaps its most unique hook. I'd like to have seen more of the shitty future world people are using VR to escape from though.

Anyway, not bad. Doesn't need to be seen in theatres, but probably the best video game movie I've ever seen (not to damn with faint praise...) Great effects and animation too.

April 10, 2018 @ 11:43 AM

@Mike
Duly noted!! You'll definitely have to ask Mr. Hainsworth about working with the very attractive Amber
MacArthur on that App Central show some years back. Wasn't really applicable to my life in any tangible form, so it probably had a lot to do with his tres foxy co-host!!

April 10, 2018 @ 11:52 AM

Ben V

Every time I read "thoughts and prayers" I think of this bit by Anthony J

So true!

April 10, 2018 @ 12:07 PM

Ben V

@Markosaar: Same feelings about Ready Player One. I thoroughly enjoyed it despite it being almost 2.5 hrs, I never looked at my watch once. Kind of strayed from the book at the end, but if I had never read the book I probably would have enjoyed the movie even more.

Also saw "a quiet place" this past weekend and that was also enjoyable. It was predictable, but it was also fun. I felt on the edge of my seat for the majority of the movie. The lack of speech made you pay attention more to the cinematic aspect of the film.

April 10, 2018 @ 12:16 PM

markosaar

@Ben,

Dang I had no idea it was 2.5 hours. Ditto, never looked at my watch.

It took me a little while to get into, especially the VR/animated portions, but I was sold pretty early. Yeah, the ending straying was okay, but they kind of flubbed the landing with the weak moral lesson about reality hah.

April 10, 2018 @ 12:33 PM

Philly-Bob

@markosaar - Best video game movie you've ever seen?? I think you're forgetting about a certain Cinematic Gem called The Super Mario Bros. Movie, or the timeless JCVD classic Street Fighter...

I say in jest of course as both were horrible movies...

I will admit to having not read the book yet, should I read it before seeing the film, or after?

April 10, 2018 @ 4:00 PM

@Philly-Bob
Well, a couple of the Resident Evil movies were alright, and Angelina Jolie certainly still looked suitably hot in the first "Tomb Raider" flick many, many moons ago!!

April 10, 2018 @ 4:08 PM

Irv

It wasn't me - Trump remix featuring Robert Mueller & Shaggy lol

Listen to "Trump's lyrics" lol

April 10, 2018 @ 4:50 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@bsmntdwllr73 re whistling in music, I enjoy the whistling in the Dead Souths , In Hell i wil be in good company https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9FzVhw8_bY
I have always whistled, but never very well!

April 10, 2018 @ 6:47 PM

@Rick C in Oakville
Thanks for the tip, as I wasn't previously familiar with this group. I also really enjoyed the interplay
between the upright bass and the banjo. Great sound!!

April 10, 2018 @ 6:52 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike (Re: Dream casting for new Rob Ford flick Tweet)

PS Hoffman was a great actor, but only the dear departed Chris Farley could provide the
necessary gravitas for such a role (well, I guess he already did, if you look at "Tommy Boy" and
"Black Sheep"!!)

April 10, 2018 @ 7:09 PM

markosaar

@Philly-Bob,

I unironically like that Mario movie. It's a surrealist hellscape and a totally reasonably interpretation of what's going on in that game.

If you're at all interested in the book, you'd probably want to read it first. It's not short but a pretty easy read. I feel like after watching the movie, there isn't that much point. That said, if you're just interested in the movie, you don't need to read the book. Save some time.

I enjoyed the book 'for what it is', but it's pretty superficial. Some neat ideas, lots of nostalgia, but nothing earth-shattering.

April 10, 2018 @ 7:09 PM

andrew

@Ben V & Nick
What else do you say?
For those who understand no explanation is necessary & for those who do not, NO EXPLAINATION WILL SUFFICE.

April 10, 2018 @ 10:51 PM

Urooj Islam

Best movie based on a videogame?

MORTAL KOMBAT!

*Cue Theme Song*

April 10, 2018 @ 11:34 PM

Cheryl

My Suns won their last game. That's great. Didn't mean anything though. I really need my Cavs to win tonight. Baseball sucked last night except my Indians won. That's great. My Orioles and Diamondbacks lost though.

April 11, 2018 @ 7:12 AM

Philly-Bob

@Urooj - I forgot all about Mortal Kombat!!

@Markosaar - I will probably read the book first then. I enjoy a good read, and typically enjoy the book more than the movie adaptation (with a few notable exceptions)

April 11, 2018 @ 8:35 AM

@Mike
Um. great TMI this morning as usual, but I think we were down one item!! Quality not quantity?!?
Keep up the great work!!!

April 11, 2018 @ 10:51 AM

TMI has a new tagline. :)

It's a sandbox of sorts while I figure out what I want it to be. Toronto Mike'd was the same at the beginning before I figured that out.

April 11, 2018 @ 10:56 AM

Ben V

@Andrew: Any number of things instead of thoughts and prayers. Especially because the statement itself is empty. Belief in a God or not.

April 11, 2018 @ 11:20 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben V - the phrase "Thoughts and Prayers" is now synonymous with "What is the least I can possibly do, but still look like I care"....especially when it comes from a politicians mouth.

However, to be specific to this tragedy, we want the families to know that we as a country are standing behind them. There is a new thing trending, people are leaving a Hockey Stick on thier front porch "Just in case the boys need one" my 10 year old insisted that we do this yesterday, so both our sticks are out there now.

While this does absolutely nothing for the families of the victims, it's still symbolic of a country standing behind them. I'd honestly like to know peoples thoughts on this.

April 11, 2018 @ 11:43 AM

Irv

I don't see an issue with thoughts and prayers in the case of the hockey team tragedy. People feel helpless and want to do something so that's what they offer. Thoughts and prayers is an issue when it becomes "cliche" like you see after mass shootings in the USA. The resolution to mass shootings requires action, not thoughts and prayers. A bus accident has no resolution.

It's all about context.

April 11, 2018 @ 12:04 PM

Urooj Islam

I only roll my eyes at "thoughts and prayers" when they are given instead of a solution to a preventable problem. It comes across as a verbal shrugging of the shoulders.

However, in the case of the Broncos, "thoughts and prayers" more than suffice because it was just an incredibly tragic accident and there's just no way to prevent freak situations like this.

Plus, the GoFundMe has raised more than $8.5 million in 4 days so people are giving more than their "thoughts and prayers" which is a great sign.

April 11, 2018 @ 1:30 PM

Adam P.

It's a great time of year.
Soon the weather will warm up.
The blossoms will be out in High Park.
The park will be jammed.
But best of all The habs,coyotes, nets and suns are NOT in the playoffs.
(And The browns might not make the playoffs again in my lifetime).

April 11, 2018 @ 1:56 PM

Philly-Bob

I think Irv and Urooj hit the nail on the head.

Thoughts and Prayers after a mass shooting or other preventable tragedy (ie mass shooting) = empty platitudes in place of actually fixing the problem

But to send love and support (or thoughts and prayers) to a community rocked by a freak accident like this is a different story.

April 11, 2018 @ 2:12 PM

andrew

@Irv & Philly-Bob & Urooj
That was my point as this was an accident & not a preventable tragedy.
Thoughts & Prayers to Humboldt again.

April 11, 2018 @ 2:33 PM

@Mike
Thanks for the speedy clarification! Your in a commanding lane all your own when it
comes right down to it. All cliches aside, with the new incarnation of Star Metro or whatever
it is now called being instantly inadequate, TMI is now additionally more important for keeping
me informed!!

April 11, 2018 @ 4:17 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Richard Crouse told me he's not part of the new Star Metro initiative, and today I learned neither is Matt Elliott. Not sure what they're thinking over there at One Yonge.

April 11, 2018 @ 4:21 PM

@Mike
They aren't thinking at all! 24 Hours was a superior product from a layout point of view, no matter
how subliterate it often appeared to be. Plus, there doesn't seem to be as many boxes and the one
at the corner of my street doesn't seem to be on the delivery route anymore. While it might be a
good thing that this paper is available in the subway system yet again, it is not a very satisfactory
read. P.S., I think they cut Gail Vaz-Oxlade several weeks ago as well. And that cute daily philosophical
cat cartoon also appears to be gone but not completely sure of that one yet.

April 11, 2018 @ 4:32 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Mitzi Shore didn't come off very well in the recent biography of Budd Friedman, the legendary
founder of The Improv comedy club (NY and LA). Sure, she was a rival, but apparently she didn't
always play well with her club competitors nor the comedic talent.

April 11, 2018 @ 4:56 PM

Cheryl

My Cavs lost last night. I was very disappointed in the loss. It's awful. Anyway, my Indians, Orioles, and Diamondbacks all won last night. That's great. Well, Bruins will win tonight. Hopefully my Cavs will win on Sunday. Ice storm coming. This is no good. Why do we have to have an ice storm? Winter should be over by now. Again I am disappointed in my Cavs last night. They better not play like they did last night in the playoffs.

April 12, 2018 @ 8:35 AM

@Mike
At the beginning of today's TMI, I was convinced that the bumper music string stabs were indicating
that Eminem's "Lose Yourself" was close at hand, but I quickly learned otherwise! Nice one!!

April 12, 2018 @ 9:07 AM

Irv

@TM

If they're thinking anything at One Yonge it's how to stay solvent. I was in Toronto working the other day and in the lunch room of a client. They had a copy of the Star and the Globe on the table. I was stunned how small it is now. It's not much bigger than a magazine.

April 12, 2018 @ 9:45 AM

bsmntdwllr73

And Now Magazine has been running on fumes for years as a glorified supermarket handout!!
It's bad enough that they are constantly running hand-to-mouth ads seeking an infusion of financial
donations from readers, but that their musical coverage has become even more willfully obscure than
it was in the days of Tim Perlich, Kim Hughes and Matt Galloway!!

April 12, 2018 @ 9:51 AM

Ben V

@ Andrew, Irv, Philly Bob: I understand the issue people have with it in the states. Because that's the generic response after a shooting.

Thoughts and Prayers is now the platitude for everything. Even Andrew's last post, it drips as an after thought.

Thoughts and Prayers is the least someone can write to say hey what happened to them bothers me too. That's why the video link I posted is so poignant. If people were to say " I can't even imagine the pain and suffering that the families and the community are going through. I'm going to do more and donate to their cause or to a cause that could help in any situation like this. But majority of people don't want to do more. Stating thoughts and prayers means I care and you should care that I care.

It's not beyond me that they have raised a shit load of money on a gofundme. Which I am truly proud of. The ratio of value of $.10 donation vs thoughts and prayers is a 1,000,000,000 to 0.000001. Perhaps instead of all the people writing thoughts and prayers and doing nothing more, they took the time and donated $1 to whatever situation they are throwing thoughts and prayers out to.

Call me jaded or an ahole it's fine. This has nothing to do with being religious or not. It has everything to do with the what about me aspect of it. All of these people didn't send thoughts and prayers before facebook, blogs and twitter.

April 12, 2018 @ 10:38 AM

Urooj Islam

So, the Raptors will have to go through the team that swept them as an underdog three years ago and LeBron while the Leafs will have to go through the two best teams in their conference?

Not ideal. :(

April 12, 2018 @ 2:09 PM

Philly-Bob

@Ben V - Not an asshole at all, you make some very valid points.

My heart breaks for the families of the victims. I had to walk out of the room when they played the tribute during Saturday's Leafs game because I was about to burst into tears thinking about if it had been my son.

Thoughts and Prayers is an overused cliche at this point, but sometimes thoughts and prayers are all we have to give. I don't have any money to send unfortunately as I am supporting my wife and son on my income. If this had happened closer to home, I would gladly offer the spare room in my place to one of the parents from out of town. But as it stands, all I can do is put my stick out on the porch as a sign of solidarity.

April 12, 2018 @ 3:15 PM

Urooj Islam

Mike, are you going to have Jason Agnew back now that he has a new venture to plug/promote?

Maybe he can teach you how Patreon actually works. ;)

April 12, 2018 @ 4:10 PM

Agnew's coming back on again soon.

April 12, 2018 @ 4:44 PM

Urooj Islam

Now that you mention it, he would be fantastic to KOTJ with.

During his LAW days, he never once hesitated to mention how much he loved karaoke.

April 12, 2018 @ 5:09 PM

Larry

$10M & counting for Humboldt. Betcha there are a lot of current & ex NHL players donating anonymously or with there own names. They know what it is all about.

But it is perplexing that human society throw money at problems or tragic events. It is thoughtful but right now those families are going through emotional trauma, how is money going to help them cope with such tragic loss?

& on a sidenote. Do you think Tom Cochrans' Big League will ever get played on Sask radio? (not being disrespectful, just a ?)

April 12, 2018 @ 8:35 PM