Barbara Bush, Dead at 92

Barbara BushBarbara Bush was 92. She was the wife of George H. W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States, and served as the First Lady of the United States from 1989 to 1993.

Hamish

19 "Dead at..." posts since the beginning of the year. Wow! Morbid, but ok... I mean my parents read the obituaries every day because they're in their late 70s and they like seeing how their friends are doing. But you're middle aged! Why this obsession with death?

April 17, 2018 @ 11:38 PM

Jody Thornton

@Hamish:

I think you're choosing to see it yourself from a morbid view; not Mike. He is just passing along the news of a celebrity or media-related death, as he always has. There just happens to be a lot of them right now. I'll usually learn news of this sort from Toronto Mike's site long before I check other news sources.

In no way, did I gather that Mike was obsessed with death from posting such threads. But deaths of celebrities does provide a time-marker of events, if you will.

April 18, 2018 @ 12:59 AM

@Hamish

It's not nearly the same thing. Your parents are probably reading the obituaries to see if anyone they know personally has passed. I'm reading the news and documenting what I deem to be noteworthy celebrity deaths because the bulk of this site (14269 entries and counting) exists for historical archival purposes. I document significant happenings here so in a decade I can look back and link back.

But to answer your question, no... I'm not obsessed with death.

April 18, 2018 @ 7:47 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Toronto Mike is my number one destination for all celebrity-related deathwatches and confirmed
deaths. Mike, like that early INXS tune melodically implored, "Don't Change!!"

April 18, 2018 @ 9:16 AM

jj

I usually enjoy obituaries, I like to see how people are remembered.
I had to attending a viewing yesterday, but I also spent time looking at other obits on the funeral home website, it's fascinating to see how people live(d).

April 18, 2018 @ 9:55 AM

jj

Ahhhh, that is beautiful. And even sweeter that you're not the only one who was touched by his words of thanks for a life well lived.

April 18, 2018 @ 10:09 AM

Sven

I kind of agree with Hamish - it's a sometimes jarring contrast scrolling through here to see the latest podcast eps, Open Mike and then "So and so - Dead at XX" - to me it would make more sense if they were notable Canadians or Torontonians, but there seems to be no common thread between Barbara Bush, R. Lee Ermey and Bruno Sammartino (other than they are all now passed!)

Don't get me wrong Mike, I enjoy the work you do and at the end of the day it's your site - for me it's just a bit confusing/jarring at times (and would imagine especially so for any new visitors to the podcast/site).

April 18, 2018 @ 12:10 PM

Barry

I'm fine with the death notices. If the site were lacking for other content, and all I ever saw were death notices, I might raise an eyebrow; however, sometimes there are a lot of deaths, sometimes there aren't, but the other content keeps coming.

The death notices seem to be about people who are of interest to people in a certain demographic, which, I think, matches the rough demographic of this site. (The podcast guests, for example, see to be those who appeal to the same demographic.) Or maybe I'm misreading the demographic -- I don't know. But it's not often that Mike posts about someone dying whose death is of no interest to me.

April 18, 2018 @ 12:21 PM

Urooj Islam

I don't mind the TM obituaries.

To be honest, they make me feel really young as a slowly breaking down 31-year old because I have no idea who most of the people are.

April 18, 2018 @ 2:43 PM

I personally like the discussions that sometimes emerge. For example, the comments on the Bruno Sammartino thread. People have different memories and reactions to a celebrity death, and if I write about the death, there's a place to capture these stories.

April 18, 2018 @ 2:56 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
I think that Toronto Mike should immediately transform itself into TMVB: Toronto Mike's Virtual Boneyard: All celebrity death notices and reminisces/complaints about the abrupt format change around the clock!! Just be sure to somehow include the words Mike Stafford and/or Supriya somewhere in the new mission statement!!! (Ya know, to keep all the Google SJWs happy!)

April 18, 2018 @ 3:59 PM

Irv

I don't have issue with it, but I get tired of the whole "oh he's gone what will I do crap" over celebrities and other famous people. Days later no one remembers a thing & have returned to eating their cheeseburgers.

April 19, 2018 @ 7:25 AM