Stuck at 11

It's an interesting coincidence that both the Blue Jays and Raptors have strung together multiple win streaks of 11 games but never 12. I believe the Jays have hit 11 at least five times now and I know the Raptors have reached 11 at least twice. When I have time, I'll try and find precise numbers.

With the Raps loss today to halt their streak at 11, here's the longest winning streaks in franchise history for each of Toronto's main five professional sports teams.

Raptors - 11
Blue Jays - 11
Maple Leafs - 10
Argos - 10
TFC - 6

mdoucette77

The problem I saw a lot yesterday, and used to see with the Jays when they were doing well, or thinking they were doing well in 2012 - 2016 was a lot of complaining, and the expectation that they deserved the benefit of the doubt. That attitude gets into their heads and creates a lot of self doubt, because they feel that they are up against 2 opponents rather than just the 1. The leaders of the team (Lowry and Derozan) need to be the example to keep everyone calm, just like Bautista needed to be the example back in the day. When those 3 guys started complaining/chirping to the officials, the rest of the team fell with that, and usually both the Jays and the Raptors would lose. A stronger mindset is needed to make it to the Finals.

Yes, Marc Davis took control of that game and made some horrendous calls, but the whole NBA is seeing that. The Raptors and their fans shouldn't feel disrespected because their "Canadians", and "outsiders". I think the league is secretly trying to crack down on the perception that stars get the benefit of the doubt, which is why you're seeing Curry and Durant being ejected frequently this season.

March 19, 2018 @ 6:43 AM

Irv

Having been out of Leaf land for 11 years and literally paying no attention to it, I do notice one thing since I returned

The Leafs used to be "the" team in Ontario. Based solely on unscientific chatter around me (I have friends) I would say the Blue Jays are the primary team in Toronto. I see a LOT more chatter on Facebook about the Jays than I do about the Leafs. I also notice the HUGE increase in the Raptors popularity. I noticed it at the hospital.

I mean the real winner is the Argo's. 10 games in a row. That's like an entire season in the CFL lol.

March 19, 2018 @ 11:02 AM

Justin

To note, the Leafs are currently on a 12 game home winning streak, the longest in franchise history. A step below an 11 game winning streak overall, but impressive nonetheless.

Gone are the days where I wouldn’t bother spending money on overpriced tickets to see a losing product. Can still only afford 1 or 2 games a year, but it’s great to see the team finally giving the home fans a good show.

The Raptors have the best home record in the NBA, while the Leafs are tied with a few other teams for the 2nd most home wins in the NHL.

March 19, 2018 @ 2:08 PM

Jamally

I think we are just NOW seeing the change in the Toronto sports landscape. The Leafs are having a great year with young stud players. In previous years, this would be the only thing people cared about. The Raptors are really making waves and I don't just think it's all the winning - although that helps. The players have personality and the management have done a great job of making you care about everyone on that roster - we're talking about Nigel Hayes and Malcolm Miller....this is unheard of.

The popularity is very Toronto centric - and unlike the Jays and Leafs, the Raptors are really the pulse of the city....I see more Raptors gear and more fandom online for the Raptors than either the Jays are Leafs.

If they go deep in the playoffs, I think the Raptors will be even bigger in Ontario. The rest of Canada will not catch on as quickly because there are large pockets of places that basketball will never resonate.

March 20, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

collingwood dave

Glad to see you mentioned the Argos.

March 20, 2018 @ 5:03 PM

@collingwood dave

Of course!

Without a doubt, one of the big 5 Toronto pro sports teams.

March 20, 2018 @ 5:05 PM

dale

Toronto Rock doesn't count in top 5?

March 20, 2018 @ 7:06 PM

@dale

Which team would you bump?

The Rock is either 6 or 7 depending where you put the Marlies.

March 20, 2018 @ 7:08 PM

dale

@Mike
Sorry I didn't realize it was only top 5 Toronto teams. Me bad.
Rock & Marlies also have been on great win streaks.

March 20, 2018 @ 8:08 PM

@dale

What are their longest win streaks? If you know, I'll add 'em!

March 20, 2018 @ 9:00 PM

headsup

At least this comment thread isn't stuck at 11...

March 21, 2018 @ 9:08 AM