Stephen Brunt and Richard Deitsch Announced as Bob McCown's New Co-Hosts on PTS

Bob McCown has announced his new co-hosts on Prime Time Sports. In one of the worst kept secrets in sports radio, Stephen Brunt will be co-hosting for 20 weeks in 2018. Brunt's done this before and he's as good as it gets.

Funnily enough, when Stephen Brunt visited me recently, I asked him if he would ever return to Prime Time Sports. Here's what he told me.

For the remaining weeks, Richard Deitsch is moving his family to Toronto to take the gig. Deitsch writes for Sports Illustrated and will make his debut in March.

Damien Cox, McCown's last co-host, will appear elsewhere on The Fan 590, although they haven't announced specifics. I intend to have him over for a third time to learn more.

Shawn

Richard Deitsch is a great get for the FAN!

February 22, 2018 @ 4:46 PM

Anonymous

Read the press release.. it tells you what Damien is going to be doing.

February 22, 2018 @ 4:46 PM

@Anonymous

You couldn't link me to it? I have to find it myself?

Here's the PR: http://media.sportsnet.ca/2018/02/stephen-brunt-and-richard-deitsch-join-prime-time-sports-with-bob-mccown-as-co-hosts-on-sportsnet-590-the-fan/

It has no specifics about when Damo will be on The Fan. It just says "Cox will continue to appear on Sportsnet 590 The FAN".

February 22, 2018 @ 4:49 PM

Urooj Islam

Great news!

Deitsch and Brunt are a huge upgrade over Mr. Magoo and Cox and whoever else was co-hosting with Bob over the last couple of years.

PTS just got a whole lot better.

February 22, 2018 @ 4:52 PM

Someone

heh...he'll continue to "appear" on Sportsnet 590 The FAN.

How do you "appear" on a radio station? Nobody can see you!

February 22, 2018 @ 4:56 PM

Anonymous

also "write a regular column for Sportsnet.ca and appear regularly on the television side."

February 22, 2018 @ 4:57 PM

@Anonymous

I think we interpret the word "specifics" differently.

February 22, 2018 @ 5:03 PM

@Urooj Islam

I saw a tweet from the producer that suggested John Shannon would still co-host 4-5 before Stephen or Richard take over at 5pm.

February 22, 2018 @ 5:04 PM

Anon And On

Wow! This is great news. Cox was always a contrarian and a hockey puck so I could never warm up to him. Glad Bob and Brunt buried the hatchet. Deitsch is as good as Brunt, so we really have an all star line-up!!!! Good on the FAN! Thanks.

February 22, 2018 @ 5:25 PM

John M.

WOW! That's what you call ALL STAR radio. I can't wait.

February 22, 2018 @ 6:30 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

This is long overdue, but I have to say, Blair and Brunt in the morning talking baseball was as good as it gets. Wish there was a way for Brunt for his 20 weeks during baseball season to do the morning show too but obviously other than guest appearances that won't be happening.

Deitsch is rock solid as well, real straight shooter and has great chemistry with Bob. I just don't get how Shannon plays any role at all on PTS. He should be relegated to getting Bob's tea ready for him.

I imagine that Brunt was made an offer he couldn't refuse, as I have no doubt that was the real reason why this happened, and the ratings in Prime Time were sliding.

February 22, 2018 @ 10:19 PM

Marlon

Finally!!!! I cannot stand John Shannon! He has this annoying habit where he repeats a statement that drives me nuts. It must be for effect! Am I the only one who notices this???? I listen to PTS everyday and dread when the second hour hits and its Shannon as the co-host.

Brunt and Richard are a MASSIVE upgrade to who has been on air recently. Very happy with this news.

February 22, 2018 @ 11:40 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

We have all with the exception of John Shannon's immediate family complained about how he gets a ridiculous amount of airtime on Sportsnet, completely disproportional for someone who belongs in the production chair behind the scenes covering hockey. It really is an embarrassment that amongst giants like Brunt and Deitsch Shannon is still playing a role on PTS. He is still going to be on the 4-5 p.m. slot with Bob from 4-5 p.m. and on roundtables Monday's and Friday's. I want to be entertained when PTS is on, and not riled up, which Shannon does to me, and for that reason I avoid him like the plague, and will continue to do so.

February 23, 2018 @ 12:28 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I love both these adds! I'm not a Shannon hater, but this is definitely an upgrade all around. Brunt belongs in the chair beside Bob. He was wasted on Tim & Sid as their brand of humour didn't jive well with Brunt's eloquence. I love T&S, but it was just an odd match.

The bigger news to me is Deitsch! He was always my favourite FOB and I really enjoyed it when he came up here for a week as a guest co-host. I think it's a great hire by Sportsnet!

February 23, 2018 @ 9:23 AM

James Edgar

i love these adds too! And while not a Shannon hater by any means I'm certainly not his biggest fan either. I have missed Brunt being on PTS and for that matter I've missed Cox too , even though he does get a little over excited and maybe too confrontational with Bob some times.

And Deitsch is absolutely one of the best guests they have on 590. having him on as a host is amazing. I can't wait.

February 23, 2018 @ 10:23 AM

Steve

What exactly is the source on Richard permanently moving his family to Toronto?

He mentioned nothing on Twitter that I saw about leaving NYC.

February 23, 2018 @ 1:34 PM

@Steve

I heard him and Bob discussing it when he called in for the announcement yesterday.

He's moving with his family to Toronto this spring.

February 23, 2018 @ 1:46 PM

GDB

This is great! Stephen Brunt is one of the best.

February 23, 2018 @ 5:30 PM

Jeff

John Shannon adds no value. Way overused across network. Looking forward to change but still lean towards overdrive.

February 23, 2018 @ 8:34 PM

Gerry

Unlike most here, Im okay with Shannon however I made the switch to Overdrive the moment Cox was brought back to pts.

No one bothered me more in sports media.
An arrogant liberal j#@&%ss imo.
Considering the sliding ratings, I could not have been the only one that thought this.

Now with Brunt back, I'll once again tune in.
Well done Rogers.
Cheers

February 24, 2018 @ 1:09 PM

stephen in niagara

So maybe Bob gets a bit more motivated to be engaging, or not.

Gives hope to reviving the 5-6 and 6-7 hours - no more Cox, no more Shannon.
Given that Shannon will still occupy space 4-5, means I won't even tune in till the 5 o'clock hour.

And hopefully both Brunt & Deitsch are regularly included on Friday Round Tables.
Who will be the fourth?

They need to rotate different voices/thoughts in that 4th chair not named Cox, or Shannon, also avoid "friends of bob", and of course not rely on the incestuous pool of talking pom-poms that populate 590!

February 25, 2018 @ 12:52 PM

Eenusch

I don't understand the hate for Shannon. He's super knowledgeable about hockey and the media/business side of sports. Sure, he knows less about other sports but, to me, he's definitely not the weakest link. Cox, on the other hand, was always super annoying.

March 27, 2018 @ 4:27 PM