Live Views of Starman

Barry

This was one of the coolest space launches I've ever seen.

It's also a huge game-changer. We might see NASA and other agencies get out of the big-rocket business entirely -- private companies like SpaceX are way ahead of them, and the red-tape involved with government-driven projects will only keep it that way.

And anyone looking to launch a satellite, probe, etc. using heavy-rocket technology is going to go this route; the expected $90-million price tag per mission is ridiculously cheap compared to the billion dollars per launch of a heavy-load NASA rocket.

And that means NASA, too, will likely begin hitching some significant rides on private rockets. The Space Launch System likely died yesterday. Why build your own huge rocket when a private company can do it for you, and do it cheaper and faster?

But besides all that ... holy hell, was that fun to watch. There was a real chance the thing was going to blow up, but they figured out how to control the vibration of the three boosters. It was a great launch, and seeing those boosters land simultaneously was a thing of beauty.

And what a way to cap it off -- a sportscar floating in space with Bowie tunes playing in the background. That's space travel like it oughta be.

February 7, 2018 @ 11:55 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Got confused for a moment and thought that you were hosting a screening of the legendary
John Carpenter flick! I guess this is kinda cool, too!!!

February 7, 2018 @ 12:36 PM

Cambo

Very very cool to watch. Definitely a game changer if they can reliably land the boosters.

I was at Kennedy in the summer and saw the pad where they were preparing for launch.

From what we were told, SpaceX is concentrating on LEO, Satellite launches, more commercial etc.

NASA is concentrating more on deep space endeavors and are building vehicles to go WAY out.

February 7, 2018 @ 7:26 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Thanks for the link Mike!

February 7, 2018 @ 8:48 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I watched the launch live and couldn't help thinking I might be witnessing history. It was by far the most exciting thing I've seen live. That visual of the two boosters landing simultaneously is going to be forever burned in my brain.

There is a lot of snark these days about how technology has become stale, or focused too much on stuff that doesn't matter (ie. Apple's latest innovation is cartoon faces that you can control with your own face...smh).

What I witnessed two days ago restored my faith that there are still some people with an eye to the future. With hope. With looking past the same old shit that we keep on fighting over down here on Earth. I feel like Elon Musk is going to be a man that, in 50 years time, we'll be talking about with the same reverence as an Einstein, or DaVinci.

February 8, 2018 @ 9:23 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Great observation Al, never thought about what Musks legacy would look like but I think that will sum it up.

February 8, 2018 @ 8:14 PM