What I Wear When I Bike on Snowy Cold Days

A couple of winters ago, I wrote this entry about how I bike Toronto winters. In a nutshell, I layer up, slow the heck down, and alter my routes.

These rules have served me well the last several winters as I've rarely seen a day that wasn't enjoyably bikeable. I only got out for 10 or so KMs yesterday, but it was a fun 10 KM. Today, before I took a crispy 20 KM ride, I shot some video to show what I wear to keep warm.

Consider this my pivot to video.

bsmntdwllr73

In the immortal words of that dude in the first Superman movie upon seeing the Man of Steel
for the very first time: "Say Jim WOOOOOO! that's a a Bad Outfit WOOOOOOO!!!!" 'Nuff said!!

December 13, 2017 @ 1:58 PM

Urooj Islam

Is it easy to move easily in all that stuff?

I also have a strict dress code for outdoor winter activities ie walking/jogging attire but it is pretty uncomfortable for the most part because movement/flexibility is always limited to a certain extent so the activity doesn't feel right.

December 13, 2017 @ 6:12 PM

@Urooj Islam

Big time... it's sports stuff, so nothing bulky or cumbersome. Just a bunch of layers so today, when I finished my 20km, I was literally hot all over (except for my toes which were going numb).

December 13, 2017 @ 6:14 PM

markosaar

I have a balaclava. It's great.

December 14, 2017 @ 12:33 PM

I just dd an hour ride and again, the only part of my body that's cold is my feet. I could have gone another hour if my feet hadn't gone numb.

December 14, 2017 @ 1:05 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Think you missed an "I" in did, in your comment!! Almost mistook it for a reference to an overly-
endowed woman!!! Should probably get my mind out of the gutter and take up more healthy
pursuits. Kudos on your dedicated bike-riding regime.

December 14, 2017 @ 1:19 PM

andrew

Mike:
When you are wearing your last layer, does your coat have a neon signal (X) embedded into it or do you wear a vest with that info?
If not wearing it & only wearing dark clothing a cause for a possible problem.

December 14, 2017 @ 4:49 PM

JJ

Mike what kind of tires do you ride on? Its so treacherous on the streets, especially when its dark you cant see the slippery spots.

December 16, 2017 @ 12:23 PM

@JJ

I don't change my tires for the winter, but on days when it's actively snowing I'll switch to my old mountain bike with much fatter tires.

December 16, 2017 @ 1:09 PM

elvis

I will give you $20 to ride around your block in your underwear on Festivus when I'm there.

December 17, 2017 @ 6:58 PM