Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

markosaar

Look at the crap your beloved Chance the Rapper is up to!

(hat-tip to /r/upliftingnews)

December 29, 2017 @ 10:19 AM

markosaar

One more comment ... saw the Guillermo del Toro exhibit at the AGO over the break. Wow I loved it. So insightful into the creative process and upbringing of a brain on overdrive. It's highly fascinating even if you're unfamiliar with his movies I'd say. I believe it runs until January 7; highly recommended. I will go back.

I also came out of it thinking, damn I need to read way more. And familiarise myself better with Dickens.

December 29, 2017 @ 10:23 AM

Alan G

Sad to hear about the passing of Rose Marie. I've been a fan of the Dick Van Dyke show since the 60's and many of my favourite scenes were with her and Morey Amsterdam.

December 29, 2017 @ 10:35 AM

thesim

Where's the new Smells Like Sour album!

December 29, 2017 @ 11:38 AM

Urooj Islam

Happy weird period between Christmas and New Year's where it's tough to know what day it is everybody. Hope everyone is surviving this rough stretch of weather.

Interested to hear Ill Vibe on the podcast today.

He's on every episode but it feels like we know next to nothing about him.

December 29, 2017 @ 12:06 PM

@Urooj Islam

This Open Mike is late because I completely forgot it was Friday.

December 29, 2017 @ 12:27 PM

@thesim

Holy shit, I haven't thought about SLS is a long, long time.

December 29, 2017 @ 3:28 PM

Anonymass

I can't find Open Mike ? Where is Open Mike

December 29, 2017 @ 4:57 PM

Patrick

A belated Merry Christmas to all.

Am I the only one here who finds it odd that "retired" newscaster Gord Martineau is brought back to City to do Herbie Fund segments.

December 29, 2017 @ 6:53 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Patrick
They probably bring Gord back because he was so closely affiliated with this charity for so long and
has a lot of ties to Sick Kids Hospital. I'm sure this is what brings him back, and not because he has
any great affinity for whoever is currently in charge at Rogers.

December 29, 2017 @ 7:07 PM

Cheryl

I found this open Mike. Why was it hiding yesterday. Well, My Nets and Suns both won last night. That's great. Hopefully my Cavs win tonight. Hopefully my Habs win tonight as well. Anyway, I tried to find this Open Mike yesterday, but I can't. I seem to be over my cold except I have this pesky cough now which sucks.

December 30, 2017 @ 7:43 AM

Beatts

Mike was being a dick again hiding it Cheryl. I couldn't it or the Anne Rohmer podcast he's been hiding from us for what seems like years....

;)

December 30, 2017 @ 10:24 AM

Beatts

So nice I said it twice...

December 30, 2017 @ 10:24 AM

Beatts

"I couldn't find it or..."

December 30, 2017 @ 10:25 AM

@Beatts

And now that I deleted one of your posts, you just look dumb. Haha!

Ann Rohmer tells me she's coming on Toronto Mike'd this spring. Andy Frost eventually dropped by, didn't he?

And I would never hide an Open Mike from Cheryl. Heck, on yesterday's episode of Toronto Mike'd, we dedicated the final song to her.

December 30, 2017 @ 10:26 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Actually, I think that Cheryl was mentioned on yesterday's podcast at least 3 times!!

December 30, 2017 @ 10:30 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

It's a shame she'll never hear it.

December 30, 2017 @ 10:32 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Well, she sometimes responds to other people's comments on here, especially if they refer
to her, so maybe she will be inspired to find out what smashing tune iLLvibe dedicated to her!!

December 30, 2017 @ 10:37 AM

Aidan

Is it or are they not doing sports on CTV Toronto? I know they're not going to have a sports anchor anymore but I'd expect a TSN sports update like they do at noon. Instead they don't seem to be doing any sports at all except covering the world juniors.

December 30, 2017 @ 11:48 AM

JJ

Palomina Faith "Only Love can Hurt Like This" How come this song isnt on radio? 1000X better than whats on now. Same shit forced into our ears.

December 30, 2017 @ 3:38 PM

Blind Dave

I haven't decided if I will listen to the ILLvibe ep or not. I still have some catching up to do and rap/hip hop makes me want to fire projectiles against a wall. I did say though, that the intro to Toronto Mike'd is the only rap song I can listen to without popping a vein in my forehead. It's actually kinda catchy.

Never mind your extreme weather warning in Toronto at -16C. Our wind chills are in the MINUS FORTIES. That gets an eye roll out here.

Everyone: Have a safe, happy, fruitful, and fulfilling New Year. You deserve it!

December 30, 2017 @ 4:57 PM

Urooj Islam

@markosaar

That exhibit sounds cool, thanks for the heads up when there's still over a week left.

Have you seen The Shape of Water yet? What did you think? It was my first del Toro movie and I thought it was really interesting and well done.

December 30, 2017 @ 9:11 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@JJ , thanks for the Palomina Faith recommend. 57 million views and I had never heard of her before. So much talent out there that is unrecogonised.

December 30, 2017 @ 9:36 PM

Cheryl

Bad night last night. My Habs and my Cavs both lost. My Habs got shut out. My Cavs lost by three measly points. They were winning at the half. Will they ever win again? Anyway, hopefully I get three football wins by my Browns, Ravens and Cardinals, but my Browns can't seem to win. My Coyotes, Nets and Suns also play tonight. I want a good day. Now I have a pesky cough. Who knows how long it will last.

December 31, 2017 @ 8:15 AM

dale

Everyone:
You all have a happy & healthy 2018.
Mike your podcasts are great & entertaining & you have done so much to get better overall.
Thanks MIke.

December 31, 2017 @ 5:53 PM

Cheryl

My Browns and Ravens both lost. My Ravens blew it. They were winning. It sucks. Now my Ravens are not in the playoffs. My Cardinals won, but they didn't make it. My Nets, Coyotes, and Suns all lost. It sucks. Well, happy new year. No more football until the fall though. My teams are done.

January 1, 2018 @ 7:37 AM

H.o.E.

If anyone was wondering, Ed the Sock did find another place to do his YouTube show, after the Hard Rock at Yonge and Dundas closed. Strombo was a recent guest, and he apparently does his internet interview show from his house (it seems to be an idea growing in popularity).

January 1, 2018 @ 5:19 PM

Cheryl

My Nets won last night. That's great. I wanted the Bucks to win last night, but didn't as the Raptors had to fricken win in overtime. Hopefully my Habs and Cavs win tonight. My Cavs better get back on track. I'm worried about them and my Habs.

January 2, 2018 @ 6:46 AM

andrew

As per your twitter Mike (Iafrate & Leeman situation), this happened SO MANY Years ago & everyone knew about it then. It was good to see BOTH playing for the Leafs in Alumni game last year together at BMO field.

January 2, 2018 @ 10:45 PM

Urooj Islam

@ andrew

What I want to know is why there are so many instances of this in NHL/hockey circles. Hockey players are very underrated horndogs, have almost zero discretion about who they'll fuck.

January 2, 2018 @ 11:44 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Cavs and Suns won last night. That's great. My Habs lost though again. Well, they'll win tomorrow. They have to. It's about time my Habs went on a win streak.

January 3, 2018 @ 7:14 AM

Anonymass

Well, my LV Golden Showers won ANOTHER one last night by shutting the lid for a 3-0 win. Can't wait to see what happens when they win the cup in July.

January 3, 2018 @ 8:10 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Anonymass
Well, when they eventually win the Stanley Cup in the midst of a sweltering Vegas summer, the streets
of Sin City will undoubtedly be full of all kinds of heavenly liquids, Golden and otherwise!! Hazmat
suits will definitely be a must across the board!!!

January 3, 2018 @ 9:25 AM

markosaar

@Urooj Islam,

Have not seen Shape of Water yet. On the list for as soon as possible.

January 3, 2018 @ 2:27 PM

Cheryl

My Cavs lost last night. My Nets won though, but my Suns lost. The only good thing was my Nets won. Oh well, my Cavs really got blown out. It's awful.

January 4, 2018 @ 6:50 AM

markosaar

Caplanksy's on College is closed ... all the (local) famous people replying to the notice is interesting to me: https://twitter.com/Caplansky/status/948663643863838720

January 4, 2018 @ 8:50 AM

@markosaar

I never went. Was it good?

January 4, 2018 @ 8:57 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
I went there once a number of years ago and can attest to its high quality. I should probably visit the
Yorkville location soon as well, as the great Jewish deli tradition doesn't seem to be as thriving as it
once was, at least south of Steeles. Well, there's still Katz's Deli near Yorkdale, New York Deli near
Bay and Bloor, and Yitz's at Eglinton and Avenue Road. Shopsy's still exists in the Sheraton Centre,
(I was there about a month ago), but it is now run by a group that is more focused on Irish pubs, so
a lot of the Haimish (friendly Jewish) flavour) is no longer discernible on the menu. And the Pickle
Barrel stopped even attempting to pretend to be an adherent to the deli tradition many moons ago!!

January 4, 2018 @ 9:52 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

There will be plenty of deli talk on Friday's podcast... Elliott Price will tells us why he prefers Lesters to Swartz's in Montreal...

January 4, 2018 @ 9:55 AM

bsmtndwllr73

@Mike
I used to co-ordinate a meal program for the homeless downtown and I ordered some of my deli meats from Lesters!! The rest came from Chicago 58, when they were still located on Lippincott
Street in Kensington Market. As for Schwartz's Deli, went there once when I was a teenager and
thoroughly enjoyed it! Also, saw your latest tweets about trying to reserve that new controversial
book about Trump: One really needs to be a mad ninja with the hold placing skills, when it comes
to trying to secure the latest items at TPL!! It's still quite challenging to keep up with all of my CD
holds as there is a lot of competition for a medium that most folks have long ago given up for dead:
THE POWER OF FREE, I guess!!

January 4, 2018 @ 10:04 AM

@bsmtndwllr73

Yes, I put the discs on hold as an insurance policy. I'm really interested in the downloadable version.

Sadly, I rarely read anymore, but I like to pick up books like the Canadianity book by the TNT boys and I just put a new podcasting book on hold to see if there's anything there I don't know. I read the online "Podcasting for Dummies" via the library last week and honestly felt I could have written that one.

The Wolff book looks very interesting to me... I've read the published excerpts and it's very entertaining story telling.

On that note, I highly recommend Netflix users watch the two new Dave Chappelle specials. What a storyteller!

January 4, 2018 @ 10:08 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Also just saw yesterday's tweets about Eddy Grant and wanted to chime in that The Equals' "Baby
Come Back" and "Romancing the Stone" were also great tracks by this dreadlcoked genius!!

January 4, 2018 @ 10:10 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Agreed! The man was much more than just Electric Avenue.

And I don't mean to speak of him in the past tense as if he's dead... I understand he's very much alive!

January 4, 2018 @ 10:11 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
You really could probably teach a course on podcasting with integrity and intelligence at this point.
I only listen to three or four 'casts regularly and yours is undoubtedly the best!! Someone i know has
a podcast in a completely unrelated field and I am always telling them to listen to Toronto Mike in order to see how it is really done, but so far I haven't been able to convince them!! P.S., not really
a Dave Chappelle fan, but having read some excerpts from his latest specials regarding the current
sex scandals in Hollywood, I'm more than a little bit interested in hearing his comedic take. Also, Judd
Apatow's new Netflix special apparently has him doing a routine as Bill Cosby commenting on the aftermath of his legal troubles.

January 4, 2018 @ 10:17 AM

markosaar

@Toronto Mike,

Yeah it was good. I used to actually buy it from Cheese Boutique for my lunches.

January 5, 2018 @ 10:02 AM