Stranger Things is Overrated

Just my opinion, of course, but I think Stranger Thing is overrated. I've watched both seasons and thought it was okay, but nothing special. My favourite thing about the series, and the reason I've watched every episode, is the nostalgia factor. I was about the same age in the early-to-mid-80s and I love the look and feel of the era.

My teenagers think Stranger Things is top shelf, and the general feedback is overwhelmingly positive, so I'm filing this one in the "not my cup of tea" drawer. It's not you, it's me. To be honest, I found the whole upside down world boring.

The kids are cute, though... and the opening title sequence and theme is perfect.

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
No Netflix access, but I have heard two volumes of the show's score and found them to be
a fitting pastiche of the best synthesizer music from the '80s. Look, I love and totally get
the need for nostalgia, especially in these often confusing and disturbing times. but whatever
happened to new and original ideas? I know that they are out there, but all that seems to break
through are reboots, revamps, re-inventions, retreads, etc.! Too much money and market share
being at stake probably have a lot to do with why we are now find ourselves inundated by Millennials
trying to "teach'' the rest of us about a decade we already lived through the first time!!

November 25, 2017 @ 11:01 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

It's always been this way. I remember the 50s nostalgia of the 70s and 80s. American Graffiti, Happy Days, Back to the Future...

November 25, 2017 @ 11:15 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Sadly, I'd like to think that the Nostalgia Merchants of previous generations had a better handle
on this sort of thing than their more contemporary counterparts.

November 25, 2017 @ 11:18 AM

elvis

Anyone who doesn't like Stranger Things is an asshole. They probably don't like the Argos either. How could anyone not like Stranger Things?

November 26, 2017 @ 10:35 AM

Ellebee

Get it completely. The "not my cup of tea" comment is so true about a few shows that are super popular like Game of Thrones and the Walking dead. With so much choice between Netflix, HBO and Crave, I feel I can skip some of these shows knowing that there are others that are more taste. Not saying they are not amazing shows, but there are so many other things to watch that are more "my cup of tea".

November 26, 2017 @ 11:31 AM

@Ellebee

I haven't seen a minute of Game of Thrones, so that very well may be my cup of tea, but I'm with you on The Walking Dead. I watched episode one of season one and decided to bail.

November 26, 2017 @ 2:41 PM

markosaar

Not sure what the problem with the nostalgia is ... it's just a setting. The story doesn't really depend on it, but it simplifies things to work in a modern era, before internet and cellphones were commonplace, etc.

November 27, 2017 @ 10:23 AM

@markosaar

Heck, I loved the first season of The Deuce, which takes place in '71, before my birth. It's just fun to visit the pre-smartphone / internet era.

November 27, 2017 @ 10:29 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@markosaar
Haven't seen this show yet but I've heard mixed messages about it. Do like the fact that due to its
time and place, it is not over-dependent on the hand-held technology of today that is so common
in many current shows. I can still remember the release of that Sandra Bullock movie "The Net" in
the summer of 1995, and how people complained about the endless scenes of her tied down to one
computer terminal after another. Boy, we've sure come such a long way since then!! (Said with tongue
firmly planted in cheek!)

November 27, 2017 @ 10:33 AM

jj

I think I am just not down with the sci-fi genre, so this isn't my cup of tea either.

I do love nostalgia, cause I loved the Get Down and it sucks that it's cancelled.

I also don't do Game of Thrones, the Walking Dead, or its other spin off. I do love junky reality tv, and just said goodbye to Longmire though. There is something out there for everyone!

November 27, 2017 @ 11:55 AM

James Edgar

Being a huge Sci Fan I like it. Do I think it's as good as the hype? No but then nothing ever is in my experience so that's OK With me.
IMHO there are a lot of shows that i think are MUCH worse than stranger things

As far as the walking dead I liked the first 4 seasons but the story got weaker and weaker and i'm not sure i'll bother to catch up anytime soon.

I'm also in the never seen Game of thrones camp. If it was cheaply and easily available to me i might check it out but I'm making any effort to do so.

November 27, 2017 @ 4:08 PM

Wayne

No plans on watching it anytime soon. The hype is way over the top so it will never match my expectations

December 4, 2017 @ 2:24 PM