Should the Kick Out the Jams Episodes be a Standalone Podcast?

I have a question for the hivemind. If you're a subscriber of Toronto Mike'd, I need you to chime in with your opinion.

There are now 13 Kick Out the Jams! episodes of my podcast. Right now, they're part of Toronto Mike'd. If you're subscribed to Toronto Mike'd, you get these episodes along with the deep dives and 12:36 and Elvis recaps.

Should these Kick Out the Jams! episodes remain a part of Toronto Mike'd or should they spin off into their own standalone podcast?

Barry

If they were separate, I'd subscribe to both, but I'm fine with them as part of the same podcast.

The only change I'd suggest is in the naming of the episodes for the listing. When I look at the list of episodes on iTunes (where I subscribe), it doesn't tell me if the episode is a regular interview or a Jams episode. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Jams, sometimes an interview, and I never know which it's going to be until I download.

September 13, 2017 @ 5:10 PM

bsmntdwllr73

I enjoy having the KOTJ episodes under the same umbrella as everything else
featured on this blog/podcast. However, can understand why it might be confusing
to some individuals, who would prefer them to be a separate entity. I say that it
should be left up to the Proprietor-In-Chief!!

September 13, 2017 @ 5:10 PM

Dan

remain a part of Toronto Mike'd. Twitter polls are easy and convenient. ☺️

September 13, 2017 @ 5:12 PM

@Barry

In iTunes, read the description... I always specify if it's a KOTJ episode there.

September 13, 2017 @ 5:14 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
I've given this a lot of thought over the last half hour and I want to double-down on
my preference regarding all aspects of the blog/podcast remaining under a single
umbrella. Kindly consider me more in the Just The Way You Are camp and less the
Come Out And Play (ya know, the 'Keep 'em separated song', but in this case,
please don't!!) segregation territory!

September 13, 2017 @ 5:36 PM

chris

Keep it part of your podcasts, just to mix it up. I only listen to your podcasts on your main page.
Cheryl will be in heaven tomorrow with comment - 21 won games in a row for the Indians.

September 13, 2017 @ 6:30 PM

Stephanie

I like hearing them mixed in with regular podcast topic because it results a more relaxed conversation.

September 13, 2017 @ 6:48 PM

markosaar

They fit naturally into the main feed.

September 13, 2017 @ 7:04 PM

@Barry

While I watched 3 year olds chase soccer balls around, I thought about what you wrote.

Effective immediately, kick out the jam episodes will have KOTJ in the title. For example, "Mike Stafford KOTJ: Toronto Mike'd #265".

September 13, 2017 @ 7:43 PM

Javed Jafri

Does not make a diff to me what way you go. I generally listen off the home page when I can. Just began listening to the Stafford KOTJ.

Slightly off topic but Mike are you able to share any numbers in terms of how many people listen to your podcasts and also are there any trend lines between the reg podcasts and the KOTJ's in terms of listeners. . Mike S is just talking about the summer ratings

September 13, 2017 @ 9:45 PM

Anon&on

I think I'm reading in the comments- some people seem confused, thinking you're suggesting KOTJ be
a part of the long interview episode rather than a separate episode, never mind a separate podcast entity.

If KOTJ was its own podcast- would you still only have KOTJ guests who have been on the regular podcast? On its own, would there end up being a lot of introductory overlap of facts and topics already discussed with the guest (if they appeared on T.O. Mike'd) in the long episode because you're opening up to an audience that possibly is not familiar with the regular podcast. Some of the intros are already running a half hourish (not really an issue for me, but have done the FF on some spots).

September 13, 2017 @ 10:03 PM

To clarify, I'd like to keep the content pretty much as it is now, I'm just wondering whether these should be two separate podcasts (in terms of syndication).

Right now, there is just "Toronto Mike'd" and if you subscribe to Toronto Mike'd you have access to all 265 episodes. Actually, you have access to 275 episodes because there are 10 "Your Blog Sucks" episodes in there, but I digress...

I'm considering removing the KOTJ episodes from the Toronto Mike'd feed so if you wanted those episodes you'd have to subscribe to a new KOTJ podcast. On Twitter the feedback is pretty much split down the middle, with some wanting them separate and others liking them together.

If Jay Onrait is visiting for the first time, I'd still do a #realtalk deep dive with him for Toronto Mike'd. But when he visited again to kick out the jams, it would be an episode of that podcast. So it really would be pretty much as it is today...

September 13, 2017 @ 10:09 PM

johne

I'm thinking, keep the KOTJ as part of Toronto Mike'd and add a KOTJ tab as you have for notable guests. Thanks for the KOTJ...

September 13, 2017 @ 10:36 PM

Ima Fakeologist

Leave it in unless you're planning to do as many KOs as regular shows.

September 14, 2017 @ 8:22 AM

Joe Clark

All they would need is a separate RSS feed. No files need to be duplicated.

September 14, 2017 @ 9:00 AM

@Joe Clark

Yep. That's all we're talking about here. A separate feed.

I'm still 50/50 on it...

September 14, 2017 @ 9:02 AM

Al The Royal Pain

For listeners, it's easier to just have the one feed. We can decide for ourselves whether or not we feel like listening to music. Also, thematically, these KOTJ episodes often provide valuable "follow-up" or "Update" opportunities to the original deep dive episodes. PLUS, you learn even MORE about a person when you you consider their favourite music. I'd take it a step further and begin a series of "Reel Top 10" episodes to have guests back a THIRD time to talk about their top 10 favourite movies.

For you Mike, separating them could make good business sense if you wanted to sell a different show to different sponsors.

September 14, 2017 @ 10:15 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I second the "Reel Top 10" idea, maybe even alternate it with KOTJ episodes!!

September 14, 2017 @ 10:25 AM

Jer

Personally: I'd prefer the same feed. I like that I'm subscribed and no matter what type of episode it is, it just downloads. Done.

I know it would be just as easy to subscribe to another feed, I'll admit it, my preference is due to being lazy. :)

That said I think Al brings up a good point. If you were able to do 2 feeds and get more sponsorship opportunities out of it I wold say: go for it!

September 14, 2017 @ 11:02 AM

Andrew

Top 10 movies would be waaaaaaaay easier than Top 10 jams...

Cheers,
Andrew

September 14, 2017 @ 12:20 PM

If anyone wants to subscribe to the Kick Out the Jams! episodes only, here's the iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/kick-out-the-jams-a-toronto-miked-podcast/id1282769134

September 14, 2017 @ 8:50 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I get them through my Itunes feed and basically listen to them in order of all your Podcasts, so really doesn't matter to me.

September 15, 2017 @ 8:35 AM

For the time being, I am keeping everything exactly as it is (all eps in the one Toronto Mike'd feed) because the best thing about podcasts is you can choose which episodes you want to listen to and when.

But, I've made two changes:

1. The titles of the Kick Out the Jams! episodes will have KOTJ in them - so you know if jams are being kicked right away without having to drill into the description. This change is already live.

2. I've created a new feed for Kick Out the Jams! episodes. On iTunes, for example, it's here: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/kick-out-the-jams-a-toronto-miked-podcast/id1282769134

Maybe one day I'll yank the KOTJ episodes from the main feed, but not now...

September 15, 2017 @ 8:57 AM

Michael H.

As far as I'm concerned it's fine the way it is. Maybe a tab (pulldown?) to go straight the 'jams' to satisfy my laziness.

Hey, where's Rohmer?

September 15, 2017 @ 10:32 AM

@Michael H

Ann is at home sidelined with Muscle Tension Dysphonia (MTD).

When she's recovered, she'll come on my podcast.

p.s. I will add the drop down menu for KOTJ.

September 15, 2017 @ 10:46 AM

Urooj Islam

You should offer the Kick Out the Jams episodes as Patreon exclusives unless there are copyright issues involved with that arrangement due to all the music.

That way, there is actually an incentive to support you on Patreon and those who do get access to those Kick Out the Jams episodes when they do.

September 15, 2017 @ 3:58 PM

@Urooj Islam

My bank account says yes, but my heart says no.

September 15, 2017 @ 4:07 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Please kindly do ignore the previous comment about making the KOTJ episodes
Patreon exclusives! I don't think that any of my bodily fluids or tissues would bring
me enough income to pay for my fair share!!! If things do change, perhaps I could
write an IOU note based on future royalties from my as yet unwritten thus unpublished
autobiography "Book Smart, People Stupid"?!? I'm sure that it will one day be a remainder
bin staple for generations to come!

September 15, 2017 @ 4:15 PM

Urooj Islam

@ Toronto Mike

Understandable, just thought it made sense within the framework of your Patreon because the point of Patreon is to actually offer your patrons incentives, not to just ask for money. That's called a donation.

And a running theme of your podcast is you wondering why you don't gain any traction on Patreon without realizing that you have to offer SOMETHING to potential patrons.

A lot of podcasts are now using exclusive episodes to gain some traction on Patreon and it makes sense as listeners can listen to the regular deep dive Toronto Mike'd episode then give you a buck or two on Patreon and listen to the KOTJ episode of the same guest if they enjoyed the deep dive.

Ah well, just a suggestion.

September 15, 2017 @ 5:45 PM