Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I am first again. It's so wonderful to be first. How about those Indians? That's great. They won in extra innings. They won't stop winning. They will keep going. My Diamondbacks won as well with a homer by AJ Polak. My Orioles didn't do very well at all. I have a feeling they won't make it. Well, my Ravens play my Browns on Sunday. I hope it's close. Hopefully my Cardinals will win on Sunday as well.

September 15, 2017 @ 9:08 AM

bsmntdwllr73

What a pleasure it is to be second. I have nothing of great value to say here
except that I will try harder to be first next time!! Too bad the library doesn't open
until 9:00 AM! Was seated at the computer at around that time but figured that our
perennial first poster had already deposited her sports report, so there was no point
in making the extra effort. Sorry if I let anybody down!!! Maybe i should try to pick
a team or 12 to support as well. You know what they say, WHEN IN ROME!!!!

September 15, 2017 @ 9:15 AM

I'm not sure everyone knows this about the Toronto Public Library, but your library card gets you access to the Criterion Collection of movies online.

It's pretty amazing, and reason enough to keep your card active.

From Hoop Dreams to Scanners to 8 1/2... all there waiting to be streamed... for free!

September 15, 2017 @ 9:26 AM

@Mike,
Thanks for that helpful hint but first I'll probably have to figure out how to turn my
second-hand tablet on and then spend the next two decades or so learning how to
use it. Sadly, I'm just not cut out for this gosh-darned, newfangled technological world
in which we live in!!

September 15, 2017 @ 9:30 AM

@Mike
I just finished listening to the first episode of the new Jay and Dan podcast
and my ears feel like they have been brutalized!! I am no prude by any stretch of
the word but man are those two ever obsessed with the topic of pee 'n' poo
humour!! No wonder I am not a fan of sports or bro culture!! It's simply not fair
that those two get the big Tim Hortons' Heroes Welcome when you put our such
a superior project as a one man operation!!! Once again, I humbly SALUTE YOU!!

September 15, 2017 @ 10:43 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Very kind words.... thanks!

September 15, 2017 @ 10:47 AM

@Mike
Not a problem because they are all true. The world needs more intelligent,
Deep Dive conversation, not more middle-aged dudes acting out their Old
School fantasies!!

September 15, 2017 @ 10:50 AM

markosaar

"Why did Mike post this on Thurs... oh ..."

That kind of week!

Going to enjoy this weekend like it's the end of July. I'm so excited about this weather, I barely got to enjoy summer.

September 15, 2017 @ 11:44 AM

My evergreen tweet!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. September is the very best month for cycling this city. #biketo

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) September 22, 2015
September 15, 2017 @ 11:52 AM

elvis

If you have a Toronto Library Card you also have free access to Lynda.com courses. http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDMEDB0187&R=EDB0187

September 15, 2017 @ 12:07 PM

The Voice of Reason

For anyone who cares about European Football. TFC is playing the LA Galaxy this evening.

For the tougher type, (no west coasters on this team) The Toronto Wolfpack vs Doncaster RLFC are playing at Lamport stadium. They are the "Worlds first trans Atlantic professional sports team).

Does Cheryl support any home town squads?

September 15, 2017 @ 2:10 PM

Daniel

@The Voice of Reason

Nope...Can't do it. I've been tricked by these promises of EPL quality and I refuse to fall for it again

Chelsea vs Arsenal on Sunday at 8:30am...

September 15, 2017 @ 2:19 PM

H.o.E.

Hmm -- I wonder if the phone caller on The Fan590 back in the 1990s who annoyed Barb DiGiulio with his repeated pronouncing of "Eye-talian" might have been Mike Richards' fake Victor Newman?

September 15, 2017 @ 3:01 PM

markosaar

@Toronto Mike,

September is the worst month for cycling because it has the most cyclists on the roads!!!

September 15, 2017 @ 3:57 PM

@markosaar

Not if you do most of your cycling between noon and 2pm!

September 15, 2017 @ 4:06 PM

dale

Today after 37 1/2 years with the same organization is my last day due to "restructuring" which was announced 6 weeks ago. I was given a severance pkg. noting that end of Sept. or earlier would be my last day. I was told Monday today is execution date.
Our co. with current 155 employees on Oct. 1st will maybe 75 left.
It was difficult today saying goodbye to many & was a box of Kleenex day.
Thankfully I'm at the age I am, not mid 50's or younger. I still wanted to work for 2-3 more years but such is life in printing industry.
I'm a Free Bird starting Monday

September 15, 2017 @ 5:08 PM

Urooj Islam

37.5 years is an incredible run.

I am envious of that kind of occupational stability, something my generation and the ones that follow will only be able to dream about.

All the best, to you, dale, sad for things to end but you should be proud.

September 15, 2017 @ 5:49 PM

dale

@Urooj Islam
Thanks It's gonna be different waking up nest Mon. morning on my own time & saying "now what?"

September 15, 2017 @ 7:25 PM

@dale

Now it's time for the next adventure!

A new chapter begins...

September 15, 2017 @ 7:36 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Dale: Best of luck, as you stated you were lucky to be in the sunset phase of your career and this happening. I have been lucky having never to experience this, but from relatives and acquintances this has happened to is to get up every day, go for a walk, keep your mind busy until you feel you have come to terms with the situation.

September 15, 2017 @ 8:29 PM

Cheryl

Dale, best of luck. I've been a medical transcriptionist from 1982 to 2016. Software doesn't work anymore with speech software. I took early retirement. If I were to work again, it would be hard to get back into the swing of things even if I worked at home. Well, my Indians lost. That's not good. They just couldn't do it last night. I hope they can forget this game and start another win streak so they can clinch. My Orioles lost as well, but my Diamondbacks won. I hope the Ravens and Browns game is close.

September 16, 2017 @ 8:20 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Wow, some people are just never satisfied!! I'm no sports expert by any stretch of
the imagination, but a 22 game winning-streak is no laughing matter. Be thankful
that Cleveland will make it into the playoffs. Blue Jay fans (not that I'm one!) obviously
won't be so lucky this year. It's almost like Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn jumped off the big
screen and into real life!!

September 16, 2017 @ 9:29 AM

Daniel

Best of luck dale. Hopefully with a reorg and that much service time your severance payment was extremely lucrative.

Just think of the thing you've always wanted to do, and go do it every day!

September 16, 2017 @ 9:32 AM

Longest win streak in 100 years! Twice as long as the longest Jays streak!

September 16, 2017 @ 9:32 AM

@Mike
Ya know, I do believe that Charlie Sheen was once a minor-league pitching
prospect, perhaps the Jays should consider finding out if he is available?!? Then
again, he's over 50 and probably wouldn't pass the physical!!!

September 16, 2017 @ 9:36 AM

dale

@All

Thanks to everyone with your thoughts & well wishes on the next chapter in my life. My severance pkg. was very fair & going forward anyone who receives a pkg. should seek legal advice. I did & had a few minor changes as the wording on some of the clauses could have read in a different context.
Thanks again
Dale

September 16, 2017 @ 10:40 AM

@Mike
Ben Rayner would be an excellent get for Toronto Mike in any capacity,
especially if you could find out what happened to the Star's once legendary
music coverage?!?

September 16, 2017 @ 12:48 PM

James Edgar

@Dale best of luck. 37.5 years is an amazing run. My former brother in law and his wife both worked in printing when I first met them 20 years ago. Both ended up being packaged out along the way . Printing is certainly a dying business these days.

September 16, 2017 @ 1:31 PM

Bruce

Curious as to how many months severance one gets after 37 1/2 years with the same organization. That's a heck of a long time at one company.

September 16, 2017 @ 2:33 PM

dale

@Bruce
Not going to disclose but there is a Severance Calculator on a website which determines what is applicable - tenure, age, job description & current salary. I was a salaried employee not hourly paid as that would make a difference.
It was a fair pkg. overall as others received a lot less & are challenging with their lawyers,

September 16, 2017 @ 5:09 PM

Bruce

@Dale

No problem. I was just curious how much that 37 years of service influenced the # of months of severance pay. That's an incredibly long stint especially in today's environment.

September 16, 2017 @ 5:25 PM

Argoooooooooos

Super game going on right now.

Argos 24 Eskimos 14 at half time.

The announcers jokingly but accurately are calling it the "Game of Throws".

September 16, 2017 @ 5:27 PM

Robson Street Bum

Gene Valaitis is the new morning show host at Roundhouse Radio 98.3 in Vancouver.

September 16, 2017 @ 7:17 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Robson Street, heard this on Humble and Fred the other day. Mike had him and Jessie as guests on Podcast 212, and have also heard Gene over the years on various radio shows. Judging from the time he has given to Mike and Humble and Fred, he is a consummate professional and hopefully will do well. Also puts him close to Jessie, who I think lives in Whistler.

September 16, 2017 @ 10:59 PM

Cheryl

Well, another winning streak starts. My Indians clinched. That's great. Edwin Encarnacion hits another home run. That's a great thing. My Diamondbacks also won with another Paul Goldschmidt homer and Zach Greinke pitched a real gem. Well, Ravens and Browns game will be close. Preseason hockey starts tomorrow. My Habs play the Bruins. Habs will be in the finals along with my Coyotes.

September 17, 2017 @ 8:13 AM

Red

Latest Toronto radio ratings out.

Adults 25-54 PPM trend for Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer:

Edge: 5.5...4.9...4.6...5.3
Indie: 3.3...2.6...2.3...1.6

Josie Dye not helping the sinking ship.

Newstalk1010: 5.5...5.1...4.5...5.1
AM640: 1.5...1.5...1.4...0.9

Shake-up of the line-up at 640 not having desired effect.

September 17, 2017 @ 11:17 AM

T

Anyone want to bet $100 that Gord Downie wins the CBC Polaris Prize on Monday. You just know how much love the CBC has for this guy.

September 17, 2017 @ 1:38 PM

Person

@Dale,

37.5 Years? I hope you didn't accept that severance package before letting an employment lawyer have a go at it, especially with that length of service under your belt! You were probably owed a few years' worth of salary.

September 17, 2017 @ 2:00 PM

Person

@dale nevermind, eventually saw your comment on the matter further down the page! Congrats on the long career, and enjoy the next leg of your life's journey!

September 17, 2017 @ 2:02 PM

dale

@Person
The common severance pkg. (not a firing) is approx. 2 weeks or less for every year of service & benefits & pension are usually continued on a lower scale. At my age pension & family benefits for me & wifey are important & were continued.
Overall I'm satisfied with the pkg. , but not losing my job on my terms but the company's.
I was fortunate as others were not compensated the same way, Age, tenure, job position & salary are the litigating factors. Ontario employment law is probably the best in all of Cda.
Firing & company closure severance is different than what I was given. It was a restructuring for me with company going in a different direction & my job was no longer required.
To ALL if you receive any kind of severance pkg. always seek legal advice from an employment lawyer.

September 17, 2017 @ 3:20 PM

Anonymous

@ Cheryl (The Sport Guru )
There are more than that team in Quebec and that team in Arizona that plays in the NHL.
Matter of fact per-season Hackey started last evening (Saturday) and continues this afternoon with MY Las Vegas Golden Showers playing and drenching the Vancouver Cannuks I know they will for sure.

September 17, 2017 @ 3:33 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Indians win again. Corey Kluber pitched a gem. Edwin Encarnacion homered again. My Orioles won as well with another Tim Beckham homer. My Diamondbacks lost though even though JD Martinez homered again. In football, my Ravens beat my Browns. I was hoping it would be closer. Oh well, my Cardinals won as well. Yes, it will be Habs and Coyotes in the hockey finals. I know that will happen.

September 18, 2017 @ 8:24 AM

Javed Jafri

The appearance of Trump's former press sec Sean Spicer on the Emmys seems to be getting mixed reaction with some saying that Colbert was trolling Trump with Spicer.

Others have been quite upset on twitter saying that the effort to normalize Spicer has begun. This tweet is of that variety:

What fun to watch @seanspicer having a sense of humor about all the times he lied to the American public! GOOD SPORT! #emmys

September 18, 2017 @ 8:27 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I live in a one channel TV universe (CTV) but nevertheless I had to bail from
watching last night's Emmy Awards after the first half hour or so. Not a big fan of
Colbert and as I haven't had access to cable in 10 years and never having participated in
the binge/streaming phenomenon, I don't have much invested in most of the shows that
were nominated. Also, more than a little tired of the current PC/Woke phenomenon that
surrounds almost ever event of this nature and the subsequent post-recaps. As a white,
middle-aged Aspie living far below the poverty line, I am way-past tired of being told to
check myself and be self-accountable by overpaid, over-privileged celebrities!! I have never
been part of the mainstream and have never had my slice of the pie (not saying I deserve it
(LOL!!), but just once I'd like to see me and my kind represented. Sheldon on "Big Bang Theory"
doesn't count and I obviously haven't seen that new Netflix show "Atypical" about a horny Aspie
teenager. But according to Lena Dunahm and the like, people who look like me have had
their time in the sun. Fine, I'll settle for an hour or two in the dark, it's not like I haven't been
living there already for the past 40-plus years or so!!!

September 18, 2017 @ 9:34 AM

Javed Jafri

I find Colbert to be very funny and often bang on during his opening monologues. Don't buy into that rich Hollywood elite sentiment. People are people. Reminds me, I collect old tapes and have an interesting one from an American guy who recorded himself with comments as he is taping Leave it to Beaver. Saying that rich kid makes so much money and it's making him sick. The guy was an interesting character as he recorded a lot of stuff including some excellent radio up to the mid 1970's. I lucked out and got a lot of his tapes. I always wondered if he regretted the Leave it to Beaver comments he made when he was a youth.

September 18, 2017 @ 10:03 AM

Javed Jafri

The interesting thing about the tape collection mentioned above is that's it's done over 15 years and the Beaver tape is from 1958 and I also have tapes from the guy from the mid 1970's.

September 18, 2017 @ 10:07 AM

@Javed Jafri
People might be people, but you never those "Rich Hollywood Elite" sticking up for
me and my autistic peers!! Sure, Jon Stewart is heavily involved with some yearly
comedy night for autistic kids, but it's not like anyone gives two bleeps about us
middle-aged folks who were once also cute kids with untapped potential and talents!!!

September 18, 2017 @ 10:14 AM

bsmntdwllr73

My previous comment should have read "you never see those..."

September 18, 2017 @ 10:23 AM

The Voice of Reason

I can sense a change happening again at AM640.

September 18, 2017 @ 12:11 PM

Urooj Islam

It's a great day for talk radio!

I miss Oakley in the mornings.

September 18, 2017 @ 2:22 PM

The Voice of Reason

AM640 should move Oakley back before the station changes formats again. He may be the only saving grace.

September 18, 2017 @ 4:13 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Oakley and Stafford, are the only reasons I will tune in to AM640 now.
Haven't heard enough of Kelly Cutrara to form an opinion, but liked when she was contributing on Humble and Fred many moons ago.
Tasha Kheiriddin seems more at ease when she is a CBC panel.

September 18, 2017 @ 7:22 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Is on a CBC panel

September 18, 2017 @ 7:22 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Emmy ratings were released earlier today and they were pretty darn low.
Peak TV's appeal might indeed be limited!! As the almighty Public Enemy once
proclaimed long ago, "Don't Believe the Hype!!!" 'Nuff said!

September 18, 2017 @ 7:36 PM

I think Emmy ratings were down because the two shows I hear hyped the most (two shows I don't watch myself) are The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones and neither was eligible for an award last night.

I loved The Handmaids Tale but it's not exactly mass consumption fare.

September 18, 2017 @ 7:39 PM

Luigi

I think another reason why the ratings are down are because so many of the shows that were nominated and won are on subscription-based platforms (HBO, Netflix and Hulu won the majority of the awards) that a majority of the typical American audience who would tune into the Emmys wouldn't have heard of or seen most of the shows, so they'd have no rooting interest in finding out the winners.
My wife and I lucked into 'Big Little Lies' before the first episode aired because we were fans of the cast, but how many people actually watch a show from the start without hearing about it from someone who's already seen it?

September 18, 2017 @ 8:53 PM

Cheryl

My Orioles lost last night. They had a lead, but blew it in extras. My Diamondbacks lost as well. Also my Habs lost. Oh well. My eyes are also sore. That's no good at all. Having sore eyes sucks. I don't use my eyes anyway. I have some light perception. It's no good that they hurt.

September 19, 2017 @ 6:58 AM

bsmtndwllr73

@ Luigi and Mike
Very perceptive responses from you both! Frankly I think that there are way too
may choices and an over-abundance of ways in which to consume the endless
volumes of content. Much greater minds than my own have often remarked about
how there will never be a mass-popular consensus and the attendant killer ratings
(other than the Superbowl(!!) ever again.

September 19, 2017 @ 9:22 AM

Urooj Islam

@ Voice of Reason

Yeah, their current morning show is impossible to listen to. No Toronto radio station has hurt themselves and their identity more as much as AM640 did by moving Oakley from the mornings and replacing him with two dolts.

September 19, 2017 @ 11:05 AM

@bsmtndwllr73

There really is too much content, if that's possible. It's the paradox of choice!

When I was a kid, there were four big US networks and each one had a small number of sitcoms and dramas.

Now? I watch Transparent that's from Amazon! I watched The Handmaid's Tale that's from Showtime! Narcos and The Crown are on Netflix! Better Call Saul is from AMC! The Simpsons is still on Fox! And this doesn't count the many amazing HBO shows... So much from so many different sources... the days of the MASH Finale being viewed by everyone with access to a TV are long gone...

September 19, 2017 @ 3:03 PM

@Mike
I can't understand all the apathy and indifference regarding the KOTJ episodes!?!?
I personally consider them to be a great extension to the original Toronto Mike
brand, and they always offer a solid update with an earlier guest. Perhaps some
of the discomfort is due to the occasional shift from sports/current events being
too jarring for the more athletically-inclined? i have often reiterated that I am not
a sports person, but I always manage to find something of value in every single
episode, be they under the KOTJ umbrella or a Real Talk Deep Dive. But then again,
unlike presumably the majority of your listeners/readers, I have an inordinate amount
of free time to spend going down one Toronto Mike rabbit hole or another! I guess that's
what happens when you retire from the world/workforce at an extremely early age!!

And yes, mean old Senor Brownstone was a gateway into profanity-laden music for many
impressionable young tweens/teens back in the day. Not me, though: I had a solid rust
potty mouth from day one. Thanx. Pops!!

Music recommendation: 25th anniversary 2CD reissue of "The Singles" motion picture
soundtrack. Lots of great unreleased Chris Cornell music (4 songs including the original
version of "Spoonman.") in a vein akin to "Seasons".

September 19, 2017 @ 3:55 PM

I want to continue meeting new interesting people for deep dives but I also want people to revit and kick out the jams with me. I love both types of episodes.

I'm a big podcast listener, and the best part is I can subscribe to a show and cherry pick the episodes I want to listen to. For those who don't like a certain guest or the KOTJ episodes, it's so easy to skip that episode.

Personally, I'm with you. The first 20-30 minutes of a KOTJ episode is a #realtalk catch-up. If I enjoyed Toronto Mike'd but didn't care for the jams, I'd still want to listen to this first part before bailing.

September 19, 2017 @ 4:05 PM

p.s.

All obvious bias aside, if you love music, you'll love KOTJ episodes. They've all been wonderful in one way or another, and yesterday's with Tim blew me away.

Best. Idea. Ever.

September 19, 2017 @ 4:07 PM

Javed Jafri

Not sure if there is really apathy or great indifference to KOTJ, at least at this point because if that was the case I would think that there would have not been so many episodes of it in such a short period. A few have expressed that they don't listen but I don't recall an expression of mass disinterest.

September 19, 2017 @ 4:08 PM

@Mike , @Javed Jafri
The point is raised often enough from that segment of then audience that
prefers the Deep Dives to the KOTJ episodes. What sports and current
affairs are to these people, Music Is To Me. Can't help but think of Shakespeare's
famous line, "if music be the food of love, play on"!!!!

September 19, 2017 @ 4:15 PM

I agree, no apathy... a few say they skip them, which is fine.

The flurry of KOTJ episodes is primarily a byproduct of me having met these folks before. With the deep dives, I'm almost always meeting the person for the first time and we're establishing a rapport on the fly. Now, it's like a friend coming back for another chat and to listen to some good tunes. It's much, much easier to book these guests.

September 19, 2017 @ 4:21 PM

@Mike
The point that I was trying to make is that for a few years before I ever listened
to the podcast, it was repeatedly suggested to me that I do so. At an earlier time,
I was very hesitant because a lot of the guests appeard to be sports-media related
and that really wasn't my thing. Once I gave it a try I became instantly hooked and was
completely sold on the blog's content across the board. I have an incredible memory
and like a bad penny the naysayers turn up again and again. So maybe not apathy
per se, but a small minority who perhaps enjoy/prefer the non-musical content.

September 19, 2017 @ 4:29 PM

andrew

I Hate the word Mother*****R & always have respect to my Mom.
Why doesn't anybody say Dad *****R?
It's just a word BUT????

September 19, 2017 @ 4:30 PM

@Andrew
Dad@#$*!r just doesn't have the same zing or sense of danger/naughtiness to
it!!!

September 19, 2017 @ 4:32 PM

@andrew

It's just a word. Don't use it. I don't... unless it's a lyric in a song I'm singing. :)

September 19, 2017 @ 4:33 PM

andrew

The N or R word which are words also worse & people still use or say it when commenting.
For those who don't know the R word - check it out. My uncle had Downs Syndrome & passed away 2 years ago.
To each their own.

September 19, 2017 @ 4:56 PM

Cheryl

Well, my eyes are better for now. It's that they hurt sometimes and really hurt. Lights can hurt them. If I'm alone, I never turn lights on. What's the use? It just wastes electricity. Anyway, my Indians won again. They're on a roll. Roberto Perez hit another homer. My Orioles had to lose in extras and my Diamondbacks lost. At least my Indians are doing great. World Series here we come.

September 20, 2017 @ 8:29 AM

H.o.E.

"Two F-35s will travel to Ontario this weekend to appear at the air show in London."
Since the weather looks good this weekend, I might go to London for the first time ever (if you don't count sitting on a bus as it stops there on the way between Windsor and Toronto).
I wish the Hamilton air show with all those WWII planes flying in from around the continent was still going. I suppose it was losing money?

September 20, 2017 @ 10:53 AM

H.o.E.

"Air show?.. What kind of country-fried rube is still impressed by that?"

September 20, 2017 @ 11:13 AM

chris

RIP Wiarton Willie. A replacement to be named soon.

September 20, 2017 @ 1:15 PM

H.o.E.

^ I'll take a wild guess that they're going to give the replacement groundhog the same name.

> The comedy festival (JFL42) starts tomorrow (Thursday), and today they are sending out emails telling people that the venues and times for some things have been changed. You'd hope and expect they would be organized enough to not be making changes like that literally the day before the event happens. I guess with email they can get away with it now, when it would have really p.o.'d people years ago.

September 20, 2017 @ 4:06 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Indians do it again. Another win and another homer by Franky Lindor. Yes, the Indians will win the World Series. My Diamondbacks also won with homers by Jake Lamb, JD Martinez, Dave Peralta, and AJ Pollock. My Orioles lost though. That's not a good thing. My Habs lost again. Good thing those games don't count. They'll win when they count. My Coyotes won though. That's great.

September 21, 2017 @ 7:08 AM

bsmntdwllr 73

Happy 5778 to all applicable people, Shana Tova!!

September 21, 2017 @ 10:06 AM

@Mike
FYI: "New" unreleased STP song "Only Dying" available online from 25th
anniversary edition of "Core." "Big Empty", "Interstate Love Song", and "Big Bang
Baby" still sound great all these years later! Even enjoyed Talk Show side project album.

September 21, 2017 @ 11:47 AM