Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first. Goody. Do I have to talk about basketball? My Cavs lost. This sucks. They got crushed. It's so awful. Anyway, my Cavs lost and I am mad. Well, Cavs win it in five or six now. Baseball was good last night. How about those Indians. They won again. Corey Kluber comes off the DL and wins this game. How about those Orioles? Another win. Homers by Mark Trumbo, Chris Davis, Adam Jones and Jonathan Schoop. How about those Diamondbacks? Another great win for sure. Anyway, my Cavs really need to win. Franky Ballard is some cheap old singer coming from somewhere who messes up Bob Seger's songs. Well, he messed up at least one of his songs. Franky, you're not Bob Seger so quit thinking you are and covering his songs because you're no good at it. I hope Franky Ballard's records don't go anywhere because he really is no good.

June 2, 2017 @ 8:24 AM

My thoughts on the NBA Final...

1. Golden State has to be the favourites... they took an unbelievably good team and added Kevin Durant.

2. Last year, they crushed the Cavs in the first two games, so I wouldn't put too much importance on the Warriors winning big last night.

3. When Michael Jordan retired, I was certain we'd never see a player that good ever again. I enjoyed Jordan's entire career and just loved the guy. I honestly believe LeBron James is a better player than Michael Jordan.

4. Cavs in 7.

June 2, 2017 @ 8:38 AM

James Edgar

So my wife has a new job starting Monday ( Recruited big raise ,car allowance and a Signing Bonus! ) . That's a good thing as she was really hating her old job lately but the job is in Richmond hill and she now needs to drive to work.

So we go shopping for cars. She wants a new one of course. But she only has her G2 (Test actually Scheduled for late June before this even came up) and boy does that murder the insurance. $5000 a year on a Kia soul. even with the bonus and car allowance that's just nuts.

So I'm able to talk her into something used we can pay cash for and we are picking up a 2010 Mazda 3 Tomorrow. Kind of high mileage but it is a great shape and the price was good. $5000 and we get a free 50inch RCA TV which we don't really need as we already have a 47 inch LG but why not.

Insurance is still high of course but $2800 is better than $5000 and it will go down once she passes her G test.

It certainly makes me wonder how the hell young people get insurance these days. I hear lots of complaints on motorcycle forums about high bike insurance for new and young riders but 99% want Race replica bikes so it's understandable how much they have pay . I can't imagine what someone under 25 has to pay to drive a car these days.

I paid $250 a year for my first car ( 1970 Ford Maverick i got for free) in 1979 which was incredibly expensive at the time ( I thought anyway) and about $400 for full coverage on an almost new car in 1982 on my second car.

June 2, 2017 @ 8:58 AM

@James Edgar

My wife drives a Mazda 3. Great choice!

And congrats to your wife on the new gig... sounds ideal (except for the driving part).

June 2, 2017 @ 9:04 AM

James Edgar

Oh one other item on my tiny mind this morning. I was in the LCBO last Saturday and saw a Display for GLB RoboHop . $5 a can! I already cringe a bit a $3 a can for decent beer . $5 is just too much.

So i only bought one. It better be REALLY good!

June 2, 2017 @ 9:10 AM

j

@James Edgar - congrats to your wife!! I feel your pain about insurance!

TGIF!

June 2, 2017 @ 9:16 AM

@James Edgar

Here's the protip Ron MacLean was very happy to learn. GLB is cheaper if you buy it from the fridge at GLB HQ!

Blond Lager, my wife's favourite, is only $2.30 a can there. Octopus Wants to Fight, my favourite, is only $3.25!

Just jump off the Gardiner at Islington North and bust a right on Queensway.

June 2, 2017 @ 9:19 AM

James Edgar

@Mike Lol EVERY SINGLE person we have told says the same thing Great car!

I ALMOST hard her talked into us getting a VW Golf with a manual ( she hates manual transmissions She initially learned to drive in France and failed her driving test due to a MT she says ) for me and her taking the current car but that didn't work out.

So now we have a second car with an automatic.

Thankfully I have a bike!

June 2, 2017 @ 9:23 AM

@James Edgar

I'm not much of a car guy, so I don't know how much of the old Mazda Protege made it into the Mazda 3, but my 18 year old Protege still runs great. In fact, I prefer my Protege to my wife's Mazda 3, but both are economical and great drives.

June 2, 2017 @ 9:27 AM

markosaar

Re: insurance,

I'm 35 ... basically eschewed a car in lieu of disposable income. It was too expensive to bother when I was in my 20s, and I've lived so long without it I don't feel any pressing need.

@Toronto Mike,

Hate to break it to you but Octopus Wants to Fight is $3.25 at the LCBO too ;) They don't sell the blonde lager though, which is probably why it can be sold cheaply at the brewery.

June 2, 2017 @ 9:54 AM

@markosaar

Well I'll be...

June 2, 2017 @ 9:59 AM

mrmojorisinca

@TO mike..
if you had to tell me what the two beers you listed above tasted like what beer would you compare it to?

June 2, 2017 @ 10:54 AM

Sid_V

The nanny state of Ontario requires brewers and winemakers to sell their products for exactly the same price in their retail stores as in the Beer store or LCBO. Very few exceptions.

The advantage buying at the brewery is that they avoid the distribution cost and get to pocket the Beer Store markup, so it still makes sense to buy direct if you want to support the little guy.

I have started looking at Canada Day events, and there is no shortage of great music being presented as part of the Canada 150 celebrations. Some of the smaller towns around here (Brantford, anyone?) are planning some cool shows.

June 2, 2017 @ 11:08 AM

Daniel

@SID_V

Amsterdam brewery has a nice little trick to get around that. They still 25 bottles rather than 24 so that it doesn't match the Beer store. they then sell it for the lowest legal price they can

Its not for all beers. Just the Blonde, big wheel and 416 but those are the beers I like so its perfect for me

June 2, 2017 @ 11:15 AM

Douglas

It's hard to miss with a Mazda 3. I bought two in the past couple of years, one for each of my sons to get to college. Lest you think that sounds incredibly generous, one is a 2007 2.0 with a stick, the other a 2008 5-door hatch with automatic (best car available at the time crunch and younger son didn't prefer a stick as much), to do a 15-20 minute (at worst) drive from either my home or my ex-wife's - compared to an 80 minute trip each way on public transit, if you get good connections. Both nearly 10 year old cars are now up to about 170,000 km and have been very good and reliable since we got them. Insurance for both is several thousand dollars a year, but both are getting their G licenses shortly, which will lop $300-$500 off of their rates. If you think that's plenty, the winter tire deduction from my insurer more than paid for the winter tires on one of the cars; almost the full bill on the other (slightly bigger tires and rims required) - and that relative discount carries forward every year (!). Mazdas are excellent first cars, not just because of the value, but because they are much more of an interactive car, giving the driver excellent feedback on what the car is doing, feeling, and reacting to the road and the driver's various inputs. As an (amateur, grassroots level) advanced driver training coach, this is what a new driver should have, learn about, and then demand, from their car(s). Without good feedback, a new (any) driver might as well be using a Playstation or Xbox - or driving a 1970s American one-finger twirl steering street barge.

Me? I've been driving my 2006 Subaru Legacy (absolutely loaded except for an automatic) since January 3, 2006. I've never had such a reliable car. It will turn 280,000 km in a week or so. Or maybe not, because I picked up a Golf R in April, although it is getting almost exclusively business/tax-deductible driving until I decide that I am finally selling the Legacy. The Legacy has been great, but a new car is just so nice after 11+ years. Part of why it took so long to get a new car was that I just could not find anything that did everything the Legacy did for me - at a "reasonable" price. The feel of everything, not just the driving, in the Golf is excellent. I foresee a lot of fun to be had with it in the years to come.

June 2, 2017 @ 11:15 AM

Rob J

I will also heartily vouch for the savoury smooth goodness of GLB's Blonde Lager.

June 2, 2017 @ 11:21 AM

@mrmojorisinca

The blond lager reminds me of Heineken.

The Octopus has this citrus kick that I dig. Not sure what to compare it to, because I'm no beer expert. :)

June 2, 2017 @ 11:34 AM

Douglas

@ James Edgar - Congratulations to your wife (and you) on her new job - and car.

Related to Sid_V's comment - If a beverage alcohol product is not sold/available in the LCBO or Beer Store, it is not subject to the egregious markups of the LCBO and Beer Store. There are a number of estate wineries in Niagara that do not sell all, for some it is none, of their product through the dictatorship of the government run/regulated retail distribution system. You can get some absolutely world-class, major world wine show-winning* wines for as little as $20, or something that is simply very, very good for $10-$15. In two cases, I am thinking of wineries that are small, family owned and operated ones that have some of the province's oldest plantings of European vinifera grapes. Whatever you pay at these wineries, know that most of your money is staying with the people at that winery. Something good to think about.

* I've posted it before, but again, I used to work in the beverage alcohol industry. A 750 mL bottle of Canadian whisky that we sold, all federal taxes included, to the LCBO for $1.85 was $18.95 on the retail shelf. That is a 924% markup. Similar markups are applied in other provinces and territories. Try doing that in private sector, competitive retail and see how long you can stay in business.
** London, Paris and similar

June 2, 2017 @ 11:51 AM

James Edgar

I thought we had made a good decision on the Mazda but now i'm certain!

The Octopus wants fight is one of two favourite beverages at the moment the other being Muskoka Breweries Mad Tom IPA.

that's why i was willing to at least try the RobHop as a treat. I'll have to make time for a stop at the GLB brewery some time , they have a few beers listed I've never seen at the LCBO

@ Douglas that is some markup! It's the "Social Responsibility" mandate I suppose ( at least the LCBO would say that) but that's pretty incredible

June 2, 2017 @ 12:09 PM

GUNTer

i finally got rid of my horrible Mini Countryman (constantly breaking down) for a new Mazda CX3 late last year.
Knock on wood its fine so far but a little pricey imo.

June 2, 2017 @ 1:02 PM

Mazda be a good choice

@James Edgar

way, way, way back when my mom had a Mazda 323 .. a super little car.

my 1st new buy was a Mazda MPV.

many years later, replaced it with another new Mazda MPV.

many years later, replaced it with a new Mazda 5.

i guess one could say I"m quite happy with Mazda.

congrats to your wife on her new job.

June 2, 2017 @ 1:04 PM

markosaar

Octopus Wants To Fight is a hoppy IPA. But unlike most IPAs coming out lately, this one is quite mellow. It's like the advertised 8 different types of hops used serve to average each other out. My wife who hates most things called "IPA" really likes it.

(Caveat emptor that Keith's IPA is not actually an Indian Pale Ale style of beer. Strange old marketing.)

June 2, 2017 @ 1:21 PM

Rick C in Oakville

My local Beer Store only seems to stock the GLB Canuck Pale Ale, so haven't had the opportunity to try the other offerings.
On another note, just can't wait for the Canada 150 th, so I can check out the cluster Duck!

June 2, 2017 @ 1:45 PM

I was just at GLB for a sausage and Octopus Wants to Fight. I met Brian from propertyinthesix.com there. One sponsor and I having a drink from the other sponsor.

I'm willing to add a third sponsor, so long as it's not a brewery or real estate agent. Write me an email if you're interested!

June 2, 2017 @ 2:58 PM

Also, if you have a question for Hugh Burrill, drop it in the comments!

June 2, 2017 @ 2:59 PM

Broni

@ mrmojorisinca

I would disagree with Mike's assertion that GLB's Blonde Lager tastes like Heineken. It's far smoother and milder. It's a classic mild lager. I'd say it's the most accessible and easy-drinking of the GLB line-up...despite the fact that I preferred its old name (and cheaper price!) when it was called "Golden Horseshoe Lager".

June 2, 2017 @ 3:11 PM

markosaar

Oh I didn't know that. Used to quite like Golden Horseshoe. They had something called Red Leaf around then too if I remember correctly.

June 2, 2017 @ 3:16 PM

Dr. Seymour Light

Speaking of drinks and LCBO, can anyone recommend a good Canadian whiskey to use in a Manhattan? I am not a whiskey drinker, but we have some American friends coming over Saturday night that like Manhattans, so I have the recipe, just need to buy the whiskey and vermouth and would like to use Canadian liquor…Thanks.

June 2, 2017 @ 3:46 PM

The Voice of Reason

So Kathy Griffin had a press conference today where she was in tears. Wait, let me get this straight, she widely disseminated a photo of herself, taken at her direction, depicting her holding the severed head of the POTUS and somehow he is the bad guy?

June 2, 2017 @ 4:20 PM

dale

5 Friday Thoughts.

Tiger Woods, a lost cause as a leaf in a forest. Reputation as a person & in golf is done.
Lost a lot of respect for Kevin Pillar last week with comments. You are not 10 years old playing House League BBall.
Jays playing great BBall the month of May & now June & get spanked by the Yankees. 1 game as season doesn't make. Yankees were my fav. team in early 70' - Reggie, Thurman Munson, Guidry, Mattingly, etc. & especially Billy Martin.
PK Subban making a fool out of Cheryls Habs playing in the Stanley Cup final. If they lose the Preds. have earned a lot of respect being the lowest seed in playoffs.
Going to my middle school 50th reunion (Rockcliffe) tomorrow & can't wait. Been in touch with few fellow students since. Graduated in 1970.
Have a Great weekend everyone.

June 2, 2017 @ 4:34 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Dr. Seymour Light, 40 Creek has somegreat Canadian Whiskey, distilled in Grimsby.

June 2, 2017 @ 5:56 PM

Rob J

@TVOR

Please provide a list of influential Americans who is defending Griffin. Even the "super duper liberal" CNN dumped her. Her career is over and no one sees her as a victim.

June 2, 2017 @ 6:19 PM

John M.

@ Dr. Seymour Light:

Since you are making a cocktail, you don't want to pay too much for your whisky. I would second @Rick C and recommend Forty Creek Barrel Select Whisky. It is good and it is local.

Even better, it is on sale now with $1 off.

Dillon's Small Batch Distillers Sweet Vermouth is a local vermouth from down in Jordan. It has limited distribution but recommended if you can find it.

June 2, 2017 @ 9:29 PM

Westcoast Irv

@Blog: Great Lakes Brewery had it's humble beginnings in Brampton in an industrial park in Brampton Ontario. They used to sell their products in these 1 litre green bottles back. I'm thinking it would be early 90s.

@TVOR. No one is supporting her, but there was much less media coverage of the hundreds of examples of Obama mannequins hanging from trees, etc. You're so hard done by dude. Have your nuts dropped down yet?

June 2, 2017 @ 9:35 PM

Blind Dave

@ James Edgar: Congrats to both of you. Great to hear of positive news in the workforce.

@TO Mike: You've done very well with your sponsors, as I recall you were hesitant in the beginning. The plugs have not hindered your podcast in any way, and in fact, I think the opposite is true. Your sponsors have been good to you and you have been good to them. The promos and pics are even fun.

@All: I've never had a car (really?!) and it's not very often I've felt hindered or hooped. Toronto was TTC and most of my time there I lived right by Wilson subway station. The TTC was not ideal but I also worked odd hours and had reasonable luck overall. My early life and current life was/is smaller towns. Then I walked or biked. Today I walk, take a bus, or travel with my wife.

June 2, 2017 @ 9:42 PM

Cheryl

Well, congrats to James Edgar and his wife for the job. I really don't know anything about cars. I don't have a car. My Orioles won last night. That was the only good thing that happened. It was close, but a win. Manny Machado and Seth Smith homered for my Orioles. My Indians lost and they got shut out. What a sham. Josh Tomlin was pitching a gem, but he got no run support. My Indians have to pull it together. My Diamondbacks also lost even though Paul Goldschmidt and Chris Ianetta homered. Anyway, I hope you're right. Hopefully Cavs can get it done in five or six anyway. The game on Thursday was disgusting. Franky Ballard won't get anywhere with his wrecked up Bob Seger song. Nobody can copy Bob Seger's songs. It's just not done, and if it is, it's all wrecked up. Kenny Rogers and Sheena Easton recorded a Bob Seger song years ago, We Got Tonight. That was wrecked as well. Metallica wrecking Turn The Page. It goes on and on. You can't cover those songs. Franky Ballard will vanish I hope.

June 3, 2017 @ 8:32 AM

Javed Jafri

Cheryl you may not agree but Dave Edmunds version of Get Out of Denver is pretty swell.

Always loved the line "cos you look just like a commie and you just might be a member, get out of Denver baby go"

June 3, 2017 @ 9:01 AM

Douglas

@ Rick C in Oakville - I am compelled to correct you on the spelling, because I was a product manager for the spirit:
Canadian and Scottish = whisky (pl. whiskies)
Irish and American = whiskey (pl. whiskeys)
Please please please spell our good product correctly and do not be influenced (no pun intended) or misguided by spelling of the inferior product from that massive market to the south of our national borders. Yes, it matters. It is and should be national pride.
(This is all with humour and good taste, you realize. Yeah, okay, pun intended!)

June 3, 2017 @ 10:45 AM

Blind Dave

@Javed Jafri @Cheryl

Dave Edmunds does an AWESOME job on Get Out Of Denver. He rocks it!

June 3, 2017 @ 11:08 AM

Douglas

@ Dr. Seymour Light:
(See my post just above for why I "have" to do this.)
A "proper" Manhatten requires a Canadian whisky that actually has some corn or maize whisky (commonly referred to as "bourbon", but not all corn whisky is bourbon) as part of the blend. When the drink became extremely popular, it was more often than not made with Seagram's V.O., Martini & Rossi red vermouth, and Angostura bitters as the alcohol. The maraschino cherries are the only non-alcoholic ingredient. What a change from today's more popular, sugar-laden drinks and cocktails. Americans also made Manhattens with Seagram's 7, a Seagram bourbon whiskey, but "V.O. Manhatten" was the order of the day decades ago.

Of course, you can use different Canadian whiskies, but you do need one with some "body", which is where the bourbon component comes into the recipe. A Manhatten made with Crown Royal, for example, will lack impact, as there is no bourbon in Crown Royal. A Manhatten made with Canadian Club will taste rather different: Canadian Club is blended with sherry (allowed, up to 9%) to get the desired "taste" prior to bottling. Hiram Walker is the only distiller that does this. Forty Creek's very good whiskies, as Rick C recommends above, and Gibson's have some bourbon in them.

I don't know much about Vermouth, but "everyone" told me that you should stick with Martini & Rossi for the red vermouth and Angostura for the bitters, and I don't remember the details for why, apart from their contributions to the flavour. So that's my 2¢ worth, marked up to 20.5¢ by the LCBO. Have a great visit with some great drinks with your friends.

June 3, 2017 @ 11:10 AM

JJ

What happened to Urbane Cyclist? This store used to be good now its new location & atmosphere is too formal, like a corporation. Used to buy Phil's Tenacious Lube for $7 now its retailing for $18. 18 freaking bucks for Tenacious Phil??

Where are all the good cycling stores in TO?

& now there are barriers on the Bloor to Danforth bridge. This city of cyclists is becoming too pussified.

June 3, 2017 @ 4:20 PM

dale

Went to my Middle School (Rockcliffe) 50th year reunion today. Opened in 1967 & I started 1968 & graduated in 1970. Had a great time meeting olds friends from years gone by & actually 2 teachers I had & recognized me. Both in early 80s. Former gym teacher Mr. Bince spoke today about his involvement in teaching & still does supply teaching in Toronto. He spoke & told a story about 1 of his students from the 90's - PK Subban whose father Karl at the time was teaching at another school in Toronto. Karl said he couldn't afford all the equipment PK & brother Malcolm (Boston Bruins) needed so Mr. Bince with his generosity bought them both their equipment when they started. When PK was drafted he had a party & Mr. Bince was told he had to attend. He did & PK spoke about Mr. Bince & called him Dad # 2 & said they would be friends forever.
Saw a girl who I went to school with even before Rockcliffe who I had a crush on all through elementary, middle & high school. She recognized me right away & she said I had a crush on you since grade 3 but you were so quiet. OMG she could have been the mother of my children. LOL.

June 3, 2017 @ 4:31 PM

@dale

My oldest daughter has her soccer practices at Rockcliffe Middle School, so I spend my Tuesday evenings there.

June 3, 2017 @ 4:59 PM

Matt

Another terrorist attack in London smh

June 3, 2017 @ 7:24 PM

chris

What in the HELL is the world coming to.
Terrorist attacks everywhere every week.
May God give us strength as we are all one trying to live the world in Peace.

Imagine

June 3, 2017 @ 8:36 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Douglas, thanks for the insight, I should know the spelling being of Scottish heritage LOL. These days I am lucky to get 80 percent of my spelling correct, with auto correct, older age etc.

June 3, 2017 @ 10:14 PM

Urooj Islam

Good to see some fight from the Predators, I was expecting a short series after how badly they shit the bed in Games 1 and 2.

June 3, 2017 @ 10:59 PM

Rob J

The attacks in Great Britain this year have been unprovoked, cruel, cowardly, and barbaric, but in the last 50 years, the decade of the 1970s was for them by far the worst in terms of deaths by terrorism (knock on wood).

June 3, 2017 @ 11:47 PM

Cheryl

I never heard of Dave Edmunds, but he probably wrecked this Bob Seger song. Nobody can do Bob Seger songs like Bob Seger can. Do I have to talk about baseball? It sucked yesterday. My Indians lost. They had a 3 to 0 lead. Carlos Carrasco was pitching very well. Carlos Santana and Bradley Zimmer homered. Then they fell apart in the fifth inning. It sucked. My Diamondbacks got no hit by this pitcher, Edinson Volquez. He no hit my Diamondbacks. Then my Orioles lost another one. That was no good. Baseball really sucked. Well, my Cavs are going to put up a fight and win. Cavs in five I hope or six.

June 4, 2017 @ 8:36 AM

Dr. Seymour Light

@ Rick C Thanks for the tip 40 Creek, the cocktails were a hit. My wife found maraschino cherries in brandy, which by themselves are not bad!

June 4, 2017 @ 10:10 AM

Anonymous

Welcome , For Cheryl's daily complaint press # 1 Everything else press # 2

June 4, 2017 @ 10:11 AM

@Cheryl

I root for LeBron when he's not playing my Raptors.

Two years ago, Golden State beat them in the finals. Then last season, a miraculous comeback by the Cavs gave them the title. I still can't believe how LeBron led that team. But the final series was as close as it gets.

Then, Golden State added Kevin Durant. A team that came within a whisker of winning back-to-back titles added one of the very best in the game.

So don't be shocked when the Cavs don't win in five or six. I'll be rooting for them, though.

June 4, 2017 @ 10:24 AM

Douglas

@ Rick C - Considering that most spell check systems and dictionaries that are available to Canadians give us a choice of "American" or "British" English, neither of which applies to us, we'll blame your spelling for Canadian whisky on the Americans. Blame America!

June 4, 2017 @ 10:42 AM

Sid_V

I've always liked Dave Edmunds, but never checked out his cover of Get Out of Denver until now. It's pretty great.

Liam Gallagher - is he the a$$hole brother from Oasis, or the other a$$hole brother from Oasis? I can never keep them straight. LOL. Was nice to see his appearance for a great cause today, and props to young Ariana Grande for somehow managing to keep her composure through that whole show. Impressive.

Even as an oldish white guy, I hope that Trump and his politics of selfishness and division represent the last desperate gasp of a power structure run by old white guys. It is time for the next generation to take over with enlightened views and positive energy, rather than the same petty partisanship and selfishness.

June 4, 2017 @ 8:36 PM

@Sid_V

Liam is the handsome one with the better voice. Noel is the genius songwriter and brains of the operation. My Oasis needs them both!

June 4, 2017 @ 8:40 PM

Sid_V

@TM, do you think the Gallagher bros. will ever bury the hatchet, at least long enough to perform together again? I get how stubborn they both seem to be, but between a mellowing over time, and the seven-digit paychecks they would both stand to cash from a reunion, there must be some chance of them hitting a festival stage together in the future.

June 4, 2017 @ 8:53 PM

@Sid_V

I honestly thought it might happen today. I'm still surprised this cause in their city didn't result in a reunion.

So now I don't know... I thought it was inevitable but now I'm less sure.

June 4, 2017 @ 9:14 PM

dale

@mike

If Pink Floyd can bury their hatchets for just 1 day I'm totally surprised that Oasis couldn't.
Noel Effed up big time as an opportunity for Manchester & England overall. Liam showed up & good for him.

June 4, 2017 @ 10:42 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Cavs lost last night. That sucked. They were close at the half and I thought they would get a win, but they fell apart. Baseball was not good yesterday except my Indians won. They won big and Jason Kipnis hit a home run again. My Orioles and Diamondbacks lost again though. Well, it will be Cavs in six I hope. They'll figure it out and win in six.

June 5, 2017 @ 7:25 AM

Daniel

@Toronto Mike @Sid_V

Liam wants a reunion because Liam is out of money. Noel still has high flying birds so has no need for Oasis reunion. I would also say Noel is more about the music and reuniting Oasis would have nothing to do with music and everything to do with money

June 5, 2017 @ 8:21 AM

James Edgar

So I kind of busted Mikes ass over the rusty chain on his resurrected bike when he posted a pic on twitter a couple of weeks back only to discover a few days later while resurrecting MY bike that not only was chain rusty it was seized :(

So no problem i think and proceed to get a new chain , using my Motorcycle chain tool will be a cinch I Assume. I mean if i can easily change a 10000 lb tensile strength motorcycle chain how hard can a bike chain be?
Nope , it would have worked but due to a user error i ruined the smallest pin. which is both annoying and embarrassing. I'm never going to need that pin for the Motorcycle i have so not huge but FACK!

So I got a $7.99 chain tool from Can Tire and got it changed yesterday. Very easy . the rest of the bike resurrection was a PITA.

Long story short i should have maybe seriously considered my Wife's suggestion that we just get new bikes. And NEVER Buy bike parts at Canadian tire. Actually a bit cheaper for many things a MEC and much better quality.

June 5, 2017 @ 11:17 AM

Cheryl

Well, none of my teams played last night; this means they couldn't lose. Anyway, something awful is happening. I keep getting this message over and over again saying USB device not recognized. I don't know why it isn't recognizing something that it recognized before, but it is saying it over and over and over again. Does anyone know why I am getting this stupid message? It's driving me crazy.

June 6, 2017 @ 7:11 AM

Beatts

Cheryl, have you rebooted ?

June 6, 2017 @ 9:07 AM

Cheryl

Well, it's fixed. I had a four-port hub plugged in. It's been there all along, but it never had problems. My trainer unplugged it and plugged it back in again and things seem to be fine now. Anyway, baseball was good last night for the most part. My Orioles ended up winning although they almost lost it. Jonathan Schoop homered twice and Seth Smith also homered. My Diamondbacks also won as well. My Indians did not win. That was no good. I don't know what's wrong with my Indians. Lonnie Chisenhall and Bradley Zimmer homered, but they had to lose. Well, Cavs will win the championship. Cavs in six or seven. I am calling it. The series won't be over probably until the 18th of this month.

June 7, 2017 @ 7:47 AM

Beatts

That's why I asked if you had rebooted.

June 7, 2017 @ 8:06 AM

Cheryl

My Cavs lost. This sucks big time. Well, they are going to win in seven. Yes, they will win the next four. I know that. Well, my Orioles had another comeback win. That's great. How about Trey Mancini hitting a couple homers and Adam Jones also homered. My Diamondbacks also won. Jake Lamb homered again. He's so awesome. Brandon Drury also homered. Anyway, my Indians had to lose. I don't want to talk about them. That's so brutal. Remember Cavs in seven.

June 8, 2017 @ 7:21 AM

@Cheryl

A 73-win team went out and got the second (or third depending on whether you have Curry ahead of him) best player in the world.

Not even LeBron can beat this team. There's no chance of the Cavs winning four straight.

June 8, 2017 @ 8:05 AM

H.o.E.

Your recent topics of Exhibition Place and nearby music events reminded me of a couple of things.

What happened to the idea for an indoor music venue of about five or six thousand seats somewhere in or near the GTA? The closest one (as far as I know) is Rama. About a year and half ago there was a news story about such a venue supposedly to be built at the Woodbine racetrack, but since then nothing. On more than one occasion in the last few years I've read that politicians or others in Niagara Falls have said how Fallsview needs a new entertainment venue of that size (the present one is 1500 seats according to their website, although to me it looks like maybe only 1000 when I've been there). Another renovation was announced this week for Fallsview, but does not include a new entertainment venue. Exhibition Place, certainly during all the non-summer months when the amphitheatre across the road is not in use, would be a good location for something like that, maybe replacing one of those older little-used CNE buildings, or in the parking lot if there's going to be a new multi-level parking structure also built inside or near The Ex, as I think I've heard is being considered. Hockey arenas in general, and the CNE/Ricoh Coliseum in particular, are not very good for concerts.

I heard Mike Richards on one of his recent podcasts, after the subject of the old Exhibition Stadium had arisen, talking about acts at big festivals that didn't quite fit in with the type of music the crowd was there to hear. I think he missed the most obvious one. There was a big rock fest at Mosport in 1978 called Canada Jam, with a crowd of about 80,000 or more there to see bands like Kansas, The Doobie Brothers, Johnny Winter, Triumph, and Prism. Also inexplicably on the bill were The Village People. That sounds like a joke, but they were there, dancing around and lip-syncing to their disco songs in their Halloween-like costumes that might as well have also had "throw stuff at me" signs taped to their backs.

In recent years for me Canada Day has involved going to Woodbine Park for a free music fest of tribute bands for music from that time of about 40 years ago, now termed as "classic rock". I know the thought of tribute acts sounds cheesy and turns off some people, but it's free, and some of them sound as good or maybe better than what's now left of the real acts. I see it's still happening again this year, according to the website of the radio station (that I otherwise would not know or care still existed) behind it. At least they know enough to not invite a Village People tribute act, although I doubt people now in their 50s or 60s would be inclined to throw stuff at them. And it's inside the city and you can get there on TTC, even if getting back when it's over isn't as easy when the roads in the area are jammed with people wanting to see the fireworks. That's definitely better than Mosport in 1978, which was, and still is, way out in the middle of nowhere. Canada Jam was supposed to run from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., so the buses chartered to take much of the crowd away ended as scheduled with the last bus leaving at 11 p.m. But of course the acts at the festival ran several hours behind schedule and ended sometime between 3 and 4 a.m., leaving many stranded in the days before cell phones.

June 8, 2017 @ 9:55 AM

sully

Further to Mazdas... You can't go wrong. We've owned several Mazdas since our first, an MPV back in the early 90's. All of them stylish, reliable, fun to drive, and easy on the wallet. 2 of our sons also have Mazdas, and love them.

June 8, 2017 @ 3:08 PM

Cheryl

Well, I can't find the new open mike. I don't know what it is. It gets hiding for some reason and it's not here until the next day. I don't know why there are times I can't find it. Anyway, yes, Cavs are going to win the next four. They did it last year, bounced back. They'll do it again. My Orioles lost last night badly. That was not a good game. My Diamondbacks won again. That's so awesome. My Indians didn't play. Anyway, Cavs in seven. I just know that will happen.

June 9, 2017 @ 9:14 AM

Cheryl

I did find it. I wonder why it hides. Who knows, but Cavs in seven. I know it will be that.

June 10, 2017 @ 8:25 AM