Teams That Have Not Made a Stanley Cup Final Since 1967 Shrinks to 5

Somehow, against all odds, the Nashville Predators have made the Stanley Cup Finals. They were the 16th seed, and I had them going out in the first round. I was so confident in that, I drafted many Chicago Blackhawks in my annual playoff pool.

Leafs fans will take some delight in the fact P. K. Subban might win a cup the season after being traded by Montreal, but Nashville making their first finals simply magnifies the Leafs drought. Not the championship drought, but the fact we haven't even played in a finals since 1967.

Below are the active teams who haven't played in a Stanley Cup final since 1967. One of these teams is not like the others.

• Toronto Maple Leafs
  • Winnipeg Jets
  • Columbus Blue Jackets
  • Minnesota Wild
  • Phoenix Coyotes

But it's coming... you know it and I know it.

Rob J

I know Leaf fans bemoan 1993 as 'the one that got away', but in 2002 all they had to do was get a few pucks past Arturs Irbe in the semis and it would.ve been a Leafs-Wings Final.

May 23, 2017 @ 11:39 AM

Urooj Islam

Wow, the Leafs have decades on those other teams in drought length.

I knew the drought was bad but it's apples and oranges with the Leafs and the other four teams on the list.

Oh well, like you said, it's definitely headed in the right direction and you could say the same for all of those teams, to be quite honest.

May 23, 2017 @ 1:27 PM

Boomer

Alot of us Montreal fans are also cheering for P.K. in the finals.

May 23, 2017 @ 3:21 PM

Douglas

The Winnipeg Jets are in there twice!

May 23, 2017 @ 3:30 PM

@Dougas

True!

The original Jets franchise (now the Coyotes) have never been to the finals and neither has the new one (formerly the Thrashers).

May 23, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

Urooj Islam

I wonder if Las Vegas Golden Knights fans are also upset at their Stanley Cup Final drought.

May 23, 2017 @ 3:44 PM

Rob J

@Urooj Islam

Columbus and Minnesota fans have to be fairly confident of making the Final within 5 years, with (IMO) Winnipeg and Phoenix starting next season with far more progress to make. Though, as Nashville has shown, success can be excitedly unexpected!

May 23, 2017 @ 4:03 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

The Achilles heel for the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup in the next 10 years will the the Oilers. I am not a fan of either club, but Edmonton's talent and coaching are slightly ahead of the Leafs at this point in time.

May 23, 2017 @ 4:56 PM

@The Voice of Reason

But we only have to made the finals to come off this list!

May 23, 2017 @ 5:18 PM

Urooj Islam

And the Leafs play in the East, much easier path to the Final than the West, which makes the Predators' run all the more impressive.

May 23, 2017 @ 5:22 PM

Gary M

Rob J, 1993 was the one that got away because the finals would have been Toronto vs. Montreal, a pairing that would have shut down the country. A pairing no longer possible in the league's format.

May 23, 2017 @ 5:25 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike you are correct. You do come off the list. My fear is that Babcock is not the man to organically win a Cup.

May 23, 2017 @ 5:43 PM

Rob J

Not denying the significance (well, not to me personally), of a Tor-Mont Final, but many Leaf fans forget how close they were to a Cup appearance in 2002 (losing game 6 of the East Final 2-1 in OT) led by Sundin, Joseph, Kaberle, Roberts, Mogilny, etc, especially since they've not been as close in the following 15 years and the Hurricanes were the lesser team in the reg. season.

(If I were a Leaf fan, I wouldn't be too choosy in a potential opponent in a Cup Final. The Stars beat a very random team in 1999, and I'll take that every time)

May 23, 2017 @ 5:49 PM

Rob J

If this is a "Leaf-fan-only" zone, I'm happy to duck out rather than inflame.

May 23, 2017 @ 6:04 PM

King Clancy

If Leaf fans seriously take any joy from P.K. winning a Cup to spite Habs fans, they've got to remove the Potvin/Gilmour/Wendel/Fill-in-the-blank sweaters from their ass!

May 23, 2017 @ 7:02 PM

@Rob J

It's sports. Cheer for any team you like.

I'm currently cheering for the Pens to beat the Sens!

May 23, 2017 @ 9:34 PM

Rob J

As the kids say, Game 7's gonna be lit, fam.

May 23, 2017 @ 11:35 PM

Rob J

According to "Five Thirty Eight" Tennesse is the most hapless province or state in terms of all-time titles for its teams (Grizzlies, Preds, Titans) relative to total # of pro seasons. Number 1 was Massachusettes and second was Quebec.

May 25, 2017 @ 12:03 PM

@Rob J

Massachusettes has been making up for that this past decade.

May 25, 2017 @ 1:02 PM