Canadian Songs to Reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Hits 48

I'm old enough to remember when a Canadian topping the Billboard Hot 100 was a rare occurrence. Now, with Drake and The Weeknd and Justin Bieber, it happens fairly often. And it's happening right now.

Here's the complete list of 48 Canadian songs to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

1. It's Love-Love-Love by Guy Lombardo
  41. The Hills by The Weeknd
  42. Sorry by Justin Bieber
  43. Love Yourself by Justin Bieber
  44. Work by Rihanna Featuring Drake
  45. One Dance by Drake Featuring WizKid & Kyla
  46. Starboy by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk
  47. I'm the One by DJ Khaled featuring Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, and Lil Wayne
  48. Despacito by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Is Robin Thicke considered a Canadian? If so would Eric Clapton also be considered a Canadian?

May 25, 2017 @ 6:32 PM

@The Voice of Reason

Robin Thicke is a Canadian whereas Eric Clapton is not.

Thicke has dual citizenship.

May 25, 2017 @ 6:49 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Both Clapton and Thicke never resided in Canada. My understanding is that you must live here to obtain citizenship. Neither has lived in Canada. My argument is not that Clapton is a citizen, but Thicke is not either.

May 25, 2017 @ 6:58 PM

@The Voice of Reason

I guess Eric never bothered to apply!

May 25, 2017 @ 7:04 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Such a Canadian answer. Normally Canadians claim anyone who has touched down in Canada for a cup of coffee. The Brits are famous for not having any connection to "The Colonies". Two examples would be Lennox Lewis the first British Heavyweight Champion in over 100 years and Greg Rusedski.

May 25, 2017 @ 7:09 PM

@The Voice of Reason

When it comes to citizenship, you either have it or you don't. Robin Thicke has it, Eric Clapton doesn't. It's quite binary.

May 25, 2017 @ 7:56 PM

@The Voice of Reason

Robin Thicke has dual citizenship. He's a Canadian citizen. There's nothing to argue. That's a fact.

Hell, the guy was even nominated for Junos: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/arcade-fire-leads-juno-nominations-with-six-buble-and-ryder-each-get-five/article16682962/

May 25, 2017 @ 8:30 PM

Rob J

Of the first 40, I'd say 11 hold up moderately well.

May 25, 2017 @ 9:58 PM

Michael Hum

No Shania? Strange.

May 25, 2017 @ 10:25 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Michael Hum that is strange. I'm no fan, but considering how big she was for a period, you'd think she would have been on that list.

May 26, 2017 @ 8:57 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

It might be because she was such a country/pop hybrid.

May 26, 2017 @ 9:27 AM

H.o.E.

Wow, a lot of those are terrible songs I wish you had not reminded me existed, with "(You're) Having My Baby" being my nomination for the most nauseating song ever. I think I was only old enough at the time to have just started elementary school, but that drove me to FM rock radio and to completely stop listening to AM pop music radio (and a few years later to eventually ignoring all music radio when other options like Walkmans started becoming available).

May 26, 2017 @ 9:34 AM

@H.o.E.

I remember the Tabernacle Choir's version of You're Having My Baby being played on the first episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.

May 26, 2017 @ 9:39 AM

Douglas

Having pretty much ditched Top 40/pop music listening not 30-plus years ago for new/modern/alt rock, my exposure to almost everything after the teens is virtually zero. Working up the list from the bottom, I have probably, but not necessarily knowingly, heard "The Hills" by The Weeknd. I really don't know. Discount that one, and you have to go all the way up to the then-unavoidable Daniel Powter and Nickelback. I don't think I've missed much in the interim.

May 26, 2017 @ 1:40 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

The Juno's is not a great example by any stretch. I recall that Bryan Adams "was not Canadian enough" in the early 1990's with "Waking Up The Neighbours" because he collaborated with Mutt Lange.
Not to get political, but did you not state that Barack Obama was Kenyan at one point?

May 26, 2017 @ 8:15 PM

@The Voice of Reason

Sometimes you can be rather dense.

Robin Thicke is a Canadian citizen. The Juno awards don't care about Cancon rules, merely that the artist is Canadian. Thicke is Canadian, even though he was born in the USA.

As for your Obama comment, I have no idea who you are confusing me with.

May 26, 2017 @ 8:24 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Mike in 1992, the Junos did NOT recognize Bryan Adams as Canadian enough. I am merely stating that the Juno's change their rules to suit their needs. In some ways they are no different than the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

May 27, 2017 @ 12:21 PM

@The Voice of Reason

You're confusing two things that are very different. You're thinking of the Cancon rules that said Bryan Adam's (Everything I Do) I Do It For You wasn't Cancon.

In 1992 Bryan Adams was nominated in 7 categories to set a Juno record. (Everything I Do) I Do It For You was nominated for best single, although it lost to Tom Cochrane's Life is a Highway.

The Junos will nominate you if you're a Canadian citizen. Full stop. /outlikebusterdouglas

May 27, 2017 @ 12:26 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Lets move on from this debate. You are trying to conform which is fine, but the facts are the facts.

May 27, 2017 @ 12:37 PM

@The Voice of Reason

I'm still struggling to understand your argument.

I merely stated that Robin Thicke is Canadian. This is a fact.

You went off on CanCon rules, which is something completely unrelated.

May 27, 2017 @ 12:51 PM

The Voice of Reason

Mike, Alan Thicke never applied for Robin to be Canadian. Wayne Gretzky never applied to allow his children to be Canadian.

May 27, 2017 @ 1:00 PM

@The Voice of Reason

Ok, that explains the disconnect. The fact is, Robin Thicke does have dual citizenship. He's an American and Canadian citizen.

Whatever source has you thinking otherwise is incorrect. I'll bet you're confusing Robin Thicke's son with Robin Thicke.

May 27, 2017 @ 1:04 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Spirited, I enjoy a healthy debate.

May 27, 2017 @ 2:37 PM