Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

Well, my Habs won again. They're hot at the right time. Stanley Cup here we come. It's the Habs year. Well, wish I could say that about my Cavs. They lost again. It's awful. When will they win again. My Orioles also lost. My Indians lost as well, but my Diamondbacks beat them. Rain today and I have to go out in it to see my doctor to get a prescription for new orthotics. If I don't get a prescription, the insurance won't pay anything.

March 31, 2017 @ 8:30 AM

McNulty

Stuff:

Michael Flynn is asking for immunity to testify. He hasn’t been charged with anything. Something is wrong here. But it still won’t affect the average Trump supporter.

Sunshine List comes out today. While I don’t mind top executive salaries being disclosed, letting the world know what the general worker is making seems a bit much. Maybe post their positions or job titles but full names goes too far.

I loved Mike’s tweet about the Leafs and the playoffs. Check out his twitter. It’s been 13 years since they made the playoffs in a full 82 game season. I was 30.

April 1 is tomorrow. I really hate people who do anything related to April Fool’s Day.

March 31, 2017 @ 8:35 AM

mrmojorisinca

Go Leafs go :)

March 31, 2017 @ 8:43 AM

mrmojorisinca

I was also in my 20's..WTF LOL
lets home they keep up this play :)

Leafs make the playoff, Pearl Jam inducted to the Hall of Fame, it has a nice ring to it :)

March 31, 2017 @ 8:46 AM

James Edgar

Happy Friday.

I have been gaining weight slowly over the last few years and have finally got it together to lose it.

My wife started doing a program last year after she gained weight after surgery and has lost about 48 pounds and i have finally decided to try it my self. Part of the reason I held back even after she had great results in not just losing weight but in energy levels and her sleep patterns (she has had insomnia since her 20's )is that i have type 1 diabetes. So i am on an insulin pump and can have serious low blood sugar episodes. The program she ,er we are doing initially discouraged type 1 diabetics from going on the program as well as it is pretty exacting and low carbohydrate , I'm already generally eating lower carb (at least i thought i was) although with a pump I can theoretically eat a bag of sugar as long as count the carbs. But recently they relaxed the rule as a few type 1's have been in the program and are doing well with slight modifications.

So i started on the same program as her last weekend. Anyway long story short my recently shit blood sugars are back to mostly normal range already after a very variable bunch of months after only a week. I'm already feeling a little more energetic as well hopefully the weigh in will show some progress too.

the food choices are based on a blood test and so far I've been very happy with everything except the goat yogurt and black coffee. I've warmed up to the coffee surprisingly quick but the yogurt is still not a favourite. Today i have a chickpea salad for lunch. I an not too sure i'll be all that happy with that but the program is going so well that i'm going to pretend i like it no matter what.

March 31, 2017 @ 8:59 AM

I'm all in on this Leafs team. They're young, they're fun, and they're good.

I believe they make the playoffs this year. Then, who knows what can happen if Andersen plays well. But primarily, this is another step in the progression. Next year, we win a round or two.

Go Leafs Go!

Here's my fun fact tweet... hard to believe, but it's absolutely true.

Fun fact: I was in my 20s the last time the Maple Leafs made the playoffs in an 82-game season

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) March 30, 2017
March 31, 2017 @ 9:11 AM

Ryan G

It took all the discipline I could muster, but man did my blood get up the other day on the streetcar.

This couple, I'd say in their late 30's, were in a two seater while she gobbled down some Tim horton's bagel or something. They were talking away at the same time, and as she finished her food, the guy takes her garbage - the bag it came in and some serviettes- and ever so casually tossed them out the window of the streetcar...not even a thought that this might be the wrong thing to do.

I could have called him out but it would have only led to a potentially unpleasant confrontation. Why should I let this prick's ignorance affect my day?

In the end it's just sad, and a small part of why we should just hand the planet over to the Apes instead of going to war with them. Hell, by the sounds of how far their english has come along in the latest trailer, we can even open up trade relations with them and...oh wait...lab experiments..zoos...mass murder of their kind...

Carry on.

March 31, 2017 @ 9:40 AM

Daniel

really interesting article about tourism in Barcelona. As a recent tourist there (though outside of tourist season) I can see why the citizens are so frustrated

Its also interesting because I can't think of a full proof solution to their issue

Also it makes me ponder about everyone in the world crying poor, yet we all have the funds to pay exorbitant prices to go on vacation to trendy European spots

March 31, 2017 @ 10:07 AM

Ben V

@ McNulty: People who are guilty ask for immunity, he's being proactive. The unfortunate part is that Nunes is trying to sabotage the entire investigation, due to his status as a Trump surrogate. Say what you will about Hillary, but this Russian controversy stinks and there is way more evidence here leading to wrong doing in Trump's campaign than Hillary ever had against herself. You are right that the average Trump supporter doesn't care, they either don't believe in or care about facts any more. Freddie P is a great example of that and so is voice of reason(I'll wait for his link to infowars again).

March 31, 2017 @ 10:13 AM

Sid

I was 13 when the Leafs last won the Stanley Cup. I have lived through the great Sittler-Wendel years and the great Gilmore run, but what I am watching now with this Leaf team is something very special that I have not seen before in Toronto. This team full of rookies are now starting to play with confidence and as a complete team with a solid coaching/management staff. With a couple of holes filled in the next couple of years, the Leafs might actually be on the verge of a dynasty!

March 31, 2017 @ 10:16 AM

Ryan G

@Sid - I don't believe in curses, but your use of the D word questions my dis-belief in curses.

March 31, 2017 @ 10:23 AM

Andy in Minnesota

@Ben V

As I explained to a Trump supporter (Who was actually pretty open minded about the whole thing), I voted for Hillary because I'm okay with a separate e-mail server when the other candidate is infiltrating the Russians and getting them to hack the opponent in order to damage their campaign. Sound sort of familiar? We had something similar happen about 45 years ago, and that led to the President resigning in disgrace. Not saying this whole Russian thing is another Watergate, but it sure reeks of it.

On happier, less decisive news, Cubs open their defense of their first World Series in 108 years in St. Louis Sunday night, which is as weird to type as it probably is to read. Panthers were finally eliminated last night which means Leafs bandwagon time!

March 31, 2017 @ 10:26 AM

Ben V

@ Daniel: I've spent a lot of time in Barcelona, my father is from Spain and I have an uncle living in Barcelona. The change in las ramblas from a tourist stand point has been crazy. Walking down to the water in the summer used to be easy, now it's wall to wall people and full of pickpockets.

Have you been to other places in Spain? If you go back venture over to Malaga and take in the Andalusian coast, from there it's only a 2 hr drive to Seville.

March 31, 2017 @ 10:41 AM

markosaar

@Andy,

The dumb thing about the email server issue is that Trump is still using personal email.

March 31, 2017 @ 10:55 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Ryan G

That would have pissed me off too. I can't believe the nerve of some people treating the city as their personal dumping ground.

March 31, 2017 @ 11:10 AM

Al The Royal Pain

My little podcasting venture is taking shape. I'm continuing to evolve it. Now available on iTunes, GooglePlay Music, Stitcher and Soundcloud.

Would love to get some feedback!

March 31, 2017 @ 11:14 AM

Daniel

@BenV

Its kinda of confusing to me because I was there at the end of August there were definitely tourists in la rambla, but we always had a spot at a cafe with nobody beside us, and the beach had plenty of space. But August is the worst period, so I'm a little confused. I honestly thought it was out of season

So we did Barcelona, Lisbon Madrid. Didn't have time to do anything else unfortunately. I know I missed some really great spots but thats what happens when you only get 2 weeks vacation at a time

What do your relatives there say?

March 31, 2017 @ 11:57 AM

Smartest Irvine Here

@Ben V

If the whole Russia/Trump thing interests you I suggest following a couple hundred hackers/intelligence guys on Twitter. The Jester has been up the ass of Trump for months now. He's former military and has posted some interesting information.

As for guys who are Trump supporters this will end up like the whole Ford thing. Remember this blog? Ford was NOT a crackhead. No it was the maggot media trying to destroy him. It was the agenda of the lefties. Then, when the OBVIOUS truth came out that he was an addict, there was crickets. Same for Bush. It'll be the same for Trump.

When Trump was a business man he could keep his secrets under wraps. In politics you can't. Further, Trump was stooopid enough to attack the intelligence community. That's like kicking the biggest kid on the block.

As a side note, a well known Twitter account which was apparently a supposed Whitehouse insider has been discovered to be a Russian account. The belief it it's meant to sew the seeds of discourse. This IS like a James Bond movie because this industry (hacking, intelligence) is very much like that.

Trump will never make 4 years.

March 31, 2017 @ 12:28 PM

Smartest Irvine Here

@Ryan G

Always say something. The reason this type of behaviour happens is because we (society) permit it. If we allow that type of behaviour the guy will do it next time. If you speak up, he may reconsider.

A better tactic is to take a picture or film them. Boy that sets people off. They get as far away from you as they can. Taking pictures of people in public is entirely illegal and not an invasion of privacy.

March 31, 2017 @ 12:39 PM

James Edgar

The garbage thing is shocking. Who the fuck thinks that is at all OK in 2017?

The leafs last one the cup when I was 4. I can vaguely remember because my dad was such a big fan it was big deal at our house. This version of the leafs sounds good enough that i'm starting to think about maybe watching a game. If i can find it online .

March 31, 2017 @ 12:46 PM

Ryan G

@SIH

I often do call people out for the very reason you mention but in this particular situation I sized it up and it wasn't worth it. Guy looked volatile AF, he would have been embarrassed in a crowded streetcar with nowehere to go, and worse, all in front of his woman. That translates to punchy punchy time, and I've had a few situations previously where it did come to that, but on this day ..this time..this moment I decided it was just not the best route.

March 31, 2017 @ 12:58 PM

Rob J

Also am taken aback at the number of people who idly flick and-or chuck their cigarette butts onto the ground from cars or while walking. It's their world, we're just (unfortunately) living in it.

March 31, 2017 @ 3:27 PM

Pete

@Ryan G and SIH

I'd have done exactly the same as you did Ryan G...nothing. Not because I don't care, but because people these days are whack. Cross the wrong person/people, and all of a sudden your life may be in jeopardy because you simply told someone not to litter? Just not worth it.

March 31, 2017 @ 3:48 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Daniel. Interesting read, as my wife and daughter went to Barcelona last summer, but did an organized tour so stayed in hotels. They went in July and found it pretty busy with a load of tourists.
A number of people they talked to on their free time were staying in Air BNb and the VR thing. Seems it was a way for investors to maximize their ROE on property they back in the boom, as rental pays about a third monthly.
I am truly puzzled at all this disruptor class of business that marches to their own drummer, not abiding by local government laws, almost as bad as organized crime. They feel they should be tax exempt, and not pull their share. Globalization is paying us back in spades.
On this note I am going to rant on why we really need a "Free Trade " type of agreement with China. There is no upside to this for Canada, it just will open up the acquisition of Canadian assets for Chinese purchase. They have been buying up African assets in Nigeria etc. As these cash strapped governments thing they are a god send.
We may feel nervous about Trumps intentions, but the Chinese government I would not let my guard down on ever.

March 31, 2017 @ 4:05 PM

SIH

Well that person might be crazy. And I might be too.

March 31, 2017 @ 4:11 PM

GUNTer

@ryanG
Many years ago (before cell phones were popular) i was out with my (elderly) Dad. We pulled up to a red light and the lady beside us opened her driver door and threw out two HUGE bags of Mcdonalds garbage. Just as casual as can be.
I lost my mind! My dad kept saying calm down! calm down! I was truly pissed. At the next red light i rolled down the window, honked my horn. She rolls down her window and i told her off (semi politely since my Dad was in the car). She went apeshit! She got out of her van and was leaning WAAAAY into my car (over my dad in the passenger seat) screaming about how fat i was and she could do as she damned pleased and if i didnt like it - go back and pick it up myself. She was poking me in the arm!!! CRAZY! My dad was terrified! It wasn't over. She followed us for at least 15 minutes until we turned into ......the cemetary! She then honked her horn, flipped us off and sped away.
There are lots of people out there like her - the world is their dumping ground. A-holes.

March 31, 2017 @ 4:17 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@gunter, too much reality TV like behaviour (House Wives of you name your city,) Politicians and Public figures who can't take responsibility for their actions, getting up in someone's face is the goto, even if they are wrong.
Sad really.

March 31, 2017 @ 4:26 PM

SIH

@Rick C

Acquisition of Canadian firms (in some sectors) is a threat to national security. The Harper government permitted CNOOC to acquire Nexen in the energy industry. My opinion (which is shared by many security guys) is that was just stupid. It allows full access to our markets and to our technology. China is not an ally. They are a trading partner. They're not a partnership. They're all about their own best interests. They employ dozens of APT's which have hacked our own government .

China seems to forget that without us, their consumers, they'd be nothing. We are their consumers. We buy things. Instead we let them walk all over us. Human rights aside we need to block these deals. We do NOT need the Chinese government buying Canadian business. They'll use their economic influence to push the government to put their interests first & Canadians second.

March 31, 2017 @ 4:30 PM

Blind Dave

The Leafs are fun to watch. Regardless of whether they steal a playoff round or get booted, making the playoffs will be a big step for the team. Just keep in mind the loser point creates so much parity a reasonably good team can miss the playoffs the following year.

Decent weather on the prairies and I am walking the trails again. I still use my treadmill 3 times per week but there is something special about exercising outside. Spring is here (for the most part) and I am looking forward to a long spring and a good, hot summer!

March 31, 2017 @ 9:17 PM

Blind Dave

@SIH

Which Jester on Twitter? There are a few.

I've been getting my Trump dosages from Jeet Heer @heerjeet and from Molly Knight @molly_knight. Lots of quotes and insight, especially from Jeet.

March 31, 2017 @ 9:22 PM

Rob J

TM,

Please ask B Williams his thoughts on his time working with John Cerutti calling Jays' games and what it was like finding out he had passed away in the Skydome Hotel. (Though I'm unsure he was to work with Brian that fateful day in 2004.

March 31, 2017 @ 9:25 PM

Rob J

(But obviously I will understand if 20 minutes on the Buffalo Bison outfielder's dad's story is more important)

March 31, 2017 @ 9:38 PM

SIH

@Blind Dave: I'm referring to Jester Actual who can be found at https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r

Jester is a former US military intelligence analyst & hacker. I don't always agree with his opinions but I respect what he's did. He fought for his country. He believes in democracy. What he doesn't believe in is Donald Trump and he makes it clear why he doesn't. No drama. No political partisanship. Just simple honest reasons that Trump is a fucking lying douche bag.

March 31, 2017 @ 10:33 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Cavs finally won a game. This is a great thing. It's about time. Now let's hope they keep on playing like they did at the beginning of the year. No more slumps. Coyotes won as well. It's about time. Anyway, we all know the Habs are going to win the cup. My Orioles didn't play yesterday, but my Indians won over my Diamondbacks. As for garbage, it's dumb if people throw it on the street. It's not a good thing at all.

April 1, 2017 @ 5:37 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Interesting article by Scott Gilmore in Macleans, about what some believe the Conservatives next step in their evolution should be. Getting away from the O' Learys and Leitch style of politics. He is a bit of a Red Tory, but being married to a Liberal MP must make for some cold shoulder evenings.
I probably fall into his version of where the Conservatives should be exploring, not much for the divisive side of the party politics.

April 1, 2017 @ 1:25 PM

Blind Dave

@SIH

Thank you. He has a fascinating timeline.

April 1, 2017 @ 3:24 PM

Rob J

Several of those vying for the CPC leadership post have associated themselves with the hate-site called 'The Rebel' which obviously disqualifies them, and the presumed front-runner, who plays the role of a squinty potato on TV, has demonstrated a willful lack of basic knowledge of Canadian civics. Yes, the CPC needs a huge shakeup, rather than appealing to its nursing-home-residing base.

April 1, 2017 @ 3:31 PM

collingwood dave

I didn't see any of last night's TFC home opener. Can anyone fill me in, I did hear that a bunch of guys in shorts booted a ball around in a nil-nil barn burner. I'll watch the highlights on Sports Centre tonight...Wait what ??

April 1, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

@collinwood dave

Yet 27,909 showed up on a cold, rainy night to take it all in at BMO Field.

April 1, 2017 @ 3:51 PM

collingwood dave

@ Mike , and to think that 27,909 actually paid for that is mind boggeling....I'm coming down for an Argo game this season and I'm pretty sure I wil lsee a point scored. If Toronto people stay away in droves for CFL football I will bash soccer all year.By the way I am Toronto born and Mississauga raised.....

April 1, 2017 @ 5:34 PM

SIH

@Toronto Mike

Wasn't it Freddie P who said that TFC wouldn't be around in 5 years (about 5 years ago). Myself, I look forward to the day when the Leafs are the secondary Toronto team.

April 1, 2017 @ 8:35 PM

@SIH

I don't see the Leafs ever being displaced at the top. I mean, they were pretty damn horrible for 13 years and they're #1 in this town today.

Right now we've got a big three... Leafs, Jays and Raptors are all super popular. And TFC is a solid fourth. Freddie P really, really hates TFC.

April 1, 2017 @ 8:41 PM

Rob J

Thus ends the 4-month break from the tedious and predictable Argos vs TFC debate...and I try SO hard to ignore and avoid it!!

April 2, 2017 @ 12:27 AM

dale (Bolton)

@Mike

Just don't jinx it.

April 2, 2017 @ 12:52 AM

Cheryl

My Nets won last night and my Habs won. As I said, Habs are winning the cup. I know they will do it. It's about time and they will do it. My Suns lost another one. That's not a good thing. My Cavs are going to win today and my Nets and Suns will win today. Also baseball today where my Diamondbacks will win their home opener.

April 2, 2017 @ 5:49 AM

@Rob J

I don't like it either because it always makes me come across like a soccer enthusiast who roots against the Argos. In reality, I root for the Argos, even though I've all but abandoned football, and I don't believe I've ever watched a TFC game on television that wasn't a playoff game.

April 2, 2017 @ 9:15 AM

Rob J

I don't live in Tor and my fave teams are in other locales, but it seems this 'feud' only started once the soccer team became successful, and maybe the lifelong Argo fans resented the apparent 'bandwagon' nature of the TFC support, while TFC fans obviously despised the Argos for intruding on their hallowed turf in 2016 only to crap the bed. Anyways, it'll be interesting to see how both teams fare this season.

April 2, 2017 @ 12:25 PM

@Rob J

I think it started when the Argos moved to BMO and suddenly attendance figures were fair to compare.

I noticed the argument hitting a fever pitch after the Argos played a few games at BMO and we saw how few they were drawing. At the time, we had no idea TFC would get so close to the championship. Heck, we hadn't won a playoff game in franchise history.

April 2, 2017 @ 12:32 PM

Rob J

The Chargers will be playing on the field used by the LA Galaxy of MLS, so I'm sure "Los Angeles Mike" is blogging about similar concerns!

April 2, 2017 @ 3:22 PM

SIH

The CFL is more popular in the West than in the East specifically in prairie towns. I'd argue that the Stamps are as popular as the Flames. And there isn't a single melon head in Sask that isn't a Riders fan.

For TFC & the rest of the league to do better they need to step up the game and get it on par with what you see in Europe. I'm not sure that can happen. MLS is to football what the CFL is to American football. It'll come. Great thing about soccer is that it's pretty much a universal sport

April 2, 2017 @ 5:47 PM

@Rob J

The big difference is that the Chargers are already 100x more popular than the Galaxy.

April 2, 2017 @ 5:49 PM

Rob J

True...I can see Galaxy fans being put off though, by the arrival of a team from San Diego barging into the LA market tearing up the field and sucking up the media oxygen. (Of course, the NFL season doesn't clash with MLS as much as the CFL does)

Having said that, hopefully the big sports story down there in 2017 is the Dodgers' 5th straight division title and a sweet postseason run.

April 2, 2017 @ 6:00 PM

Cheryl

Well, that was some basketball game. My Cavs needed double overtime to win it. Thankfully they did. I wish they were still in first place though. My Nets also won. Too bad my Nets weren't this hot the rest of the season. My Suns lost though. My Coyotes won. Anyway, my Diamondbacks also had a good comeback win. They were losing, but good thing they won in the end. Well, today my Orioles play this afternoon and my Indians play tonight. Lots of baseball today. Orioles and Indians will win their divisions and in the NL, Diamondbacks will win.

April 3, 2017 @ 7:24 AM

James Edgar

I lost 6 lbs or almost 3 kg the first week of my new diet for lack of a better word. This is a very good thing.

I have been playing some Virgin radio in the car at my daughters request. She's happy so I'm happy ..kind of. What passes for pop music at this juncture in time is so far from what my personal tastes run to that i'm considering an acid flush of my ears.

This morning after dropping her off I had to play Tool at just about maximum volume all the way to work.

I would have moved onto Motorhead but ran out of time. I'll be playing some at my desk soon no doubt.

So yes I'm not a big fan or Virgin. I will concede that the Siri bit was humorous though.

April 3, 2017 @ 8:43 AM

Cheryl

Well, how about those Habs. Actually I was paying more attention to baseball, but my Habs did win. Yes, the Habs are winning the cup. They haven't won it in a long time so it's their turn. Well, my Orioles won. That was something. It went to extra innings. My boy, Mark Trumbo his his first homer of the season. That's so awesome so my Orioles are the winners. My Indians also won. They had a comeback win. Jose Ramirez and Edwin Encarnacion both homered for the Indians. Okay. Orioles, Indians and Diamondbacks are all going to win their divisions in baseball. I can feel it. Either Orioles or Diamondbacks win the World Series or Indians win it this time because they should have won it last year. The stupid subway was stuck yesterday. I had to go to an appointment to get my new orthotics. The subway stopped between Davisville and Eglinton for a few minutes. I don't know why it did, but I think the subway should stop when they know it can stop at a station and not have to stop for a few minutes between stations. I was a bit late for my appointment, but it was okay. I'm just glad I don't have to take the subway very often. The TTC stinks. My last few years I worked, I worked at home and now I am retired. I don't need the TTC very often at all and I don't like the subway getting stuck between stations, but the TTC doesn't care if the subway gets stuck or not.

April 4, 2017 @ 7:13 AM

Rob J

TM,

When do you interview B Williams?

April 4, 2017 @ 10:17 PM

Cheryl

Well, that was a good basketball game. My Cavs won so they are now tied for first place, but they need to win tonight though. My Nets also won, but they won't make the playoffs. My Indians won as well. That was great. Carlos Santana hit a home run for my Indians. They're going to win the AL central. I can feel it. My Diamondbacks lost. That's a shame. Paul Goldschmidt and Jake Lam both homered, but they couldn't win. My Orioles didn't play yesterday, but they play tonight and will win. Orioles win the AL east. My Coyotes didn't do well last night though. They lost again so hockey wasn't good. I know my Habs will win the cup though.

April 5, 2017 @ 7:32 AM

Javed Jafri

There's a great site with tons of audio called Past Daily "Because ignorance of your culture is considered uncool". Has so many sessions like those recorded for the BBC and many other sources. Two of the more recent ones are for Sonic Youth and The ( English) Beat.

They also have many air checks including those of my fave format free form. This week they have a long and great quality one from KROQ or K-Rock from Los Angeles. K-rock started to feature punk and new wave very early ( around 1976) and you could hear The Modern Lovers, Sparks and the Ramones and many others at a time when most radio was starting to go mainstream.

The station was like early CFNY after the total free form era of David Pritchard and into the more controlled ( or should I say focused) free form of the David Marsden era. What I liked about both stations at that time is that they were not restricted to what could be defined as punk or new wave. Yes that was some of the best music being produced at the time but the stations were not confined and you could still hear the Grateful Dead, Hendrix or Muddy waters. Air checks from CFNY at that time are rare but here is one from K-Rock that gives you a good idea about a format not confined by genre or format. The only major market radio commercial station that currently adheres to such a philosophy is WXRT from Chicago:

April 5, 2017 @ 8:02 PM

Cheryl

Well, Habs lost. They shouldn't have because the Sabres are not a very good team, but they did. Anyway, never mind. They will still win the cup. Well, my Cavs were awesome last night and they're back in first, woohoo. They will repeat. How about those Orioles. Yes, they won again with homers by Adam Jones and Chris Davis. Orioles are in first place. How about those Indians. Franky Lindor is awesome. He homered twice including a grand slam. Indians are in first place. They will stay there winning the AL central while the Orioles win the AL east. My Diamondbacks also had a great comeback win. Yes, baseball is great these days.

April 6, 2017 @ 7:14 AM